• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is my PS3 melting?

Kuran

Banned
Since my girlfriend pointed it out to me, there is a distinct smell of burning plastic whenever I turn on my PS3.

When I touch it, it doesn't really seem too hot.. and it is on its side in an open area, so it can't be that it doesn't get too little ventilation..

Is this a feature? :/

JB1981

Dunno, mang. But it doesn't sound normal.

I propose we create an official PS3 issues thread. There seems to be a lot of these lately.

Kuran

Banned
Its a refurbished Japanese model. :(

I forgot what its original flaw was, something about the drive not reading discs.. I have no problems with that.

Kuran said:

I forgot what its original flaw was, something about the drive not reading discs.. I have no problems with that.

So is this a strong odor? Have you put a new HDD in it? This might be a myth, but I've read that if you put anything over 5600 rpm HDD in that it could overheat. I've also read that it makes no difference.

Anyhow, if it smells like burning, something probably is burning. I have to ask, why a refurb japanese model?

Firewire

Banned
Kuran said:

I would say keep it well ventilated, and let in run for a while 1-2 hours, to see if the smell goes away. If not return it for a refund or exchange.

MoeB

maybe your girlfriend is trying to sabotage your ps3 because you spend so much time with it. Women are sneaky like that.

if its a new or near new system its normal.
My Triple had a terrible smell when i first got it. It's the smell of quality.

Kuran

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
So is this a strong odor? Have you put a new HDD in it? This might be a myth, but I've read that if you put anything over 5600 rpm HDD in that it could overheat. I've also read that it makes no difference.

Anyhow, if it smells like burning, something probably is burning. I have to ask, why a refurb japanese model?

I bought it for 230€.. thats more than half the price of what it was in Belgium.

I remember NCS did put a bigger drive in it, though, perhaps thats a 7200RPM model..

I also have it hooked up to a voltage adapter, could that also be a cause?

Kuran

Banned
I've been trying to figure out if I can just plug a european power cable in my Japanese PS3.. so when I was reading the user manual, I came across this...

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

There must be other Gaffers using foreign PS3 hardware in combination with transformers, if so.. please shine your light of information towards hither!

Kyoufu

Kuran said:
I've been trying to figure out if I can just plug a european power cable in my Japanese PS3.. so when I was reading the user manual, I came across this...

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

There must be other Gaffers using foreign PS3 hardware in combination with transformers, if so.. please shine your light of information towards hither!

Just use a kettle plug (same ones used for a PC).

I wouldn't use a stepdown for a PS3, fuck no.

Struct09

Kuran said:
Since my girlfriend pointed it out to me, there is a distinct smell of burning plastic whenever I turn on my PS3.

When I touch it, it doesn't really seem too hot.. and it is on its side in an open area, so it can't be that it doesn't get too little ventilation..

Is this a feature? :/

I noticed the same with my 80GB that I got last week. It's well ventilated, and doesn't seem to get very hot, but I definitely smelled that "burning electronics" smell.

MadFuzzy

Supposedly the newer Japanese 40gb PS3s MAY not have dual-voltage PSUs, but all of the early 20gb and 60gb models did (I certainly don't use a stepdown with my 60gb one).

Pug

At 380w the step down would be like the xbox brick. My 360 40GB smells like a burning also, its pretty new mind 27th/12. Also also this talk of silence (!), the bloody ps3 when it streams it makes a racket, not as loud as the 360 but not far off.

Concept17

Mine did this the first few times I ran F@H. Went away though. I've also had mine for over a year now, and it hasn't melted away. (though I swear the heat coming out of one side is gonna melt my modem i have right next to it.)

Nothing to worry about.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Kuran said:
Why no stepdown?

i use my US PS3 ( 60GB ) on 220V , there is Universal power supply unit inside the PS3 (100~240V 50/60 Hz )

20061111power2.jpg

^ ac input = 100~240V

this is what Kutragi did

edit : i don't know about 40GB PS3 units , this for PS3 EU/JPN/US 60/20/80GB

SRG01

MadFuzzy said:
Supposedly the newer Japanese 40gb PS3s MAY not have dual-voltage PSUs, but all of the early 20gb and 60gb models did (I certainly don't use a stepdown with my 60gb one).

Can you get 115V out of the wall in a 230V country? If so, the 5V AC difference doesn't matter at all in terms of voltage output.

Mmmkay

MadFuzzy said:
The newer Japanese 40GB units still have a universal PSU.

I'm at work right now but I can dig up the picture later if you like?

Kuran

Banned
Totobeni said:
i use my US PS3 ( 60GB ) on 220V , there is Universal power supply unit inside the PS3 (100~240V 50/60 Hz )

edit : i don't know about 40GB PS3 units , this for PS3 EU/JPN/US 60/20/80GB

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.. still I find it scary that the official manual states the opposite, is this to stop people from importing?

In case my PS3 asplode, at least I'll be able to make this thread interesting.. and I'll have good reason to get a white one!

MadFuzzy

SRG01 said:
Can you get 115V out of the wall in a 230V country? If so, the 5V AC difference doesn't matter at all in terms of voltage output.

Only out of a dual-voltage shaver socket I believe and I wouldn't want to use my PS3 in the bathroom if I could possibly avoid it.

Chris_C

Kuran said:

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

I have an American PS3 plugged into a Euro power standard (I live in Nigeria) as far as I know the PS3 has a universal power adapter.

I was using a Stepdown before this.. which got CRAZY HOT. A friend told me about the universal power adapter thing and told me to just plug it in straight, it took a while for me to be brave enough, but it's worked great for months now.

Don't blame me if your PS3 explodes though.

Slacker

jordan0386 said:
/hijack

Does the PS3 Component cables have a standard tv output...A friend is trying to set up his at the moment
Wha? I recognize all of those words but I can't make sense of the question. If by standard you mean the red/white/yellow plugs, no the component cables don't have those. You need a composite cable, which should have come with the system.

edit: whoops I screwzed it up - thanks SexConker

SexConker

Banned
Slacker said:
Wha? I recognize all of those words but I can't make sense of the question. If by standard you mean the red/white/yellow plugs, no the component cables don't have those. You need a composite cable, which should have come with the system.

As long as we're avoiding confusion...

Eteric Rice

If it's new, it's probably just the smell all new electronics have the first time around. If you've had it for it while, it might be dust. My advice would be to get some compressed air and use it to dust off the vents.

jett

D-Member
So, does the american 40GB PS3 have a universal power supply? Yesterday I went to an import store to buy one, and they tried to plug me with a monstrous 500W voltage transformer (voltage is 220W over here), insisting that it was needed for the console. That shit made me reconsider my purchase right there. :p

andy_lhc

jett said:
So, does the american 40GB PS3 have a universal power supply? Yesterday I went to an import store to buy one, and they tried to plug me with a monstrous 500W voltage transformer (voltage is 220W over here), insisting that it was needed for the console. That shit made me reconsider my purchase right there. :p
I bought the US 60GB PS3 and didnt use a transformer (my country's voltage is 240V as opposed to 110V)...IIRC all PS3 have universal power supply regardless of models.....

jett

D-Member
andy_lhc said:
I bought the US 60GB PS3 and didnt use a transformer (my country's voltage is 240V as opposed to 110V)...IIRC all PS3 have universal power supply regardless of models.....

Okay cool, got another question for you then. :p The PS3 comes with a regular three-prong PC power cable right? Thing is the plut outlet of my country is just two-pronged, so to speak. Will any 'ol regular adapter work, or will I run into problems, and have to buy a sepcial power cable?

llTll

Banned
Boken said:
I haven't turned my PS3 off since I got it. Am I in danger of melting my face?

um. no. it wont melt. worst cases is for it to stop working. but i dontunderstand people. yes the PS3 is a tank. but why people keep it on all the time to fuck it up ?

i mean even a tank will stop functioning after long use..

the 60gig model PS3 will be rare item very soon. people. take care of your systems.

andy_lhc

jett said:
Okay cool, got another question for you then. :p The PS3 comes with a regular three-prong PC power cable right? Thing is the plut outlet of my country is just two-pronged, so to speak. Will any 'ol regular adapter work, or will I run into problems, and have to buy a sepcial power cable?
I believe you can use any cables as long as it fits your PS3 and the other end fits your wall socket....:D

Top Bottom