• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How I broke my DualSense Edge: A Cautionary Tale

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It is attached to a release latch that holds a plastic cover in place. If you want to replace the thumbsticks, you gotta pop off that cover. You don't have to remove the latch and spring unless you are opening up the controller.

But yeah.....it's just cosmetics.

So now you can't put that cover back on? That's a shame!

Papa_Wisdom

Xmas day 1999

Brand new Dreamcast unboxed, set up on the table in front of the tv.

Playing house if the dead 2.

Made a sudden move, pretending I’m a cowboy in the wild west

Pulled the console off the table, landed upside down on the laminate, broke something inside and it stopped working.

Not the greatest Xmas.

molly-ringwald-breakfast.gif
They probably figured you were one of the simple minds that needed a reminder to not forget about me…

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
the good thing is, you can buy another brand new edge now, yay!

King Dazzar

Topher Topher sorry to hear that mate. I've had some similar fun and games across 3 x custom scuff dualsenses in order to upgrade the batteries and tinker with the thumbstick modules. Common one for me was losing the tiny spring metal tensioners used in the adaptive triggers. But most of this stuff you can usually get replacements for online. The Edge will be a little bit more awkward for some of its parts as its not so common or been out so long. Good luck. If you reopen it, I'd be tempted to try a better battery, which I've seen on aliexpress.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
20+ bucks is bullshit though there is way cheaper.
I don't disagree...but he will get the other parts that he will inevitably need to replace when he gets p0wn3d playing H@l0!! (and there are cheaper ones you can get on ebay as well I just snagged the first link result I got)

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Grab a strong magnet and scrub the floor+carpet with it. If you don't have one, but have an old HDD around, just crack it open, remove the head assembly's neodymium magnet and use that (just keep that magnet away from working hdds). Also, if you can't find it, you can make one yourself or ask someone nicely around your location to make one from a spring wire.

Another way to find it is to get a fucking great flashlight, turn off all other lights in the room (make sure it's pitch black), get on all fours put down the flashlight on the floor and watch the cast shadows things create. Ezypeasy.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

It is a bad situation not gonna lie, fortunately all you have to do is press R3 to activate detective vision and the spring will be highlighted in yellow. I was stuck on this part for a couple hours.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Come on man, did you literally just start gaming? There is always a loose ass piece of small plastic rattling around in any controller within 3-4 months. If there isn’t, then you aren’t playing enough lol

So dropped my DualSense edge a couple of weeks ago and ever since I'm hearing this noise from the inside like a small piece broke off and is loose. Controller works just fine, but damn......that noise.

So rather than just leaving things well enough alone, my dumb ass self decided I was going to crack open this $200 piece of plastic and remove this foul annoyance.

Cut to the chase, I accomplished what I set out to do and removed the plastic. Then I began putting the thing back together. That's when things went sideways.

The replaceable thumbsticks, a major feature of this controller, is held in place by a the black piece of plastic on the underside of the controller. There is also a toggle switch which will pop this plastic out when engaged. That switch has a spring attached to it.

This:

yahQWo8.png

Come to find out, springs are........springy. A wise man would be extra careful when trying to put this spring back where it belongs as anyone who has ever used a rubber band will know quite well what happens when you hold one end, pull back and let go. Even accidentally.

I am no such wise man.

So yeah....this spring sprung and damned if I know where it landed. Finding a replacement online is proving difficult. Thankfully the controller still works. It just looks....

Fathers Day Wedding GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos's Funniest Home Videos

Long story short (too late?)......don't be a dumbass like me. Be careful with that spring.

That's an extension spring, you can buy them off Amazon, usually come in small kits with a bunch of sizes for around $10.

Topher

Gold Member
That's an extension spring, you can buy them off Amazon, usually come in small kits with a bunch of sizes for around $10.

yeah, I was looking at those last night. Someone posted the actual dimensions on reddit, but I haven't found it yet. Hopefully I'll come across it soon.

Thanks

Mr.Phoenix

Having read this entire thread... I have concluded that you are all heartless.

There is a sprung spring somewhere out there in what must feel like a wilderness to it. All on its own, taken away from the luxuries and comfort of its edgy existence. And not a single one of you has mentioned trying to save it.

Heartless fuckers the lot of you. I feel bad for the spring.

FrankWza

Take the opportunity to do the battery upgrade. Also, are you sure the spring isn't jammed in there still? How big is it?

Topher

Gold Member
Take the opportunity to do the battery upgrade. Also, are you sure the spring isn't jammed in there still? How big is it?

It's tiny. No, I literally saw it fly up into the air and away......somewhere.

Didn't think about upgrading the battery.

law and order crazy shit GIF

El Muerto

GdgnTNP.gif

You might be able to get away with using one of those small ponytail rubberbands. They're a dollar at any store.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hey Topher,

If it makes you feel better, I took apart my old microwave a couple years ago trying to fix it as the dial wouldnt work. Anytime i rotated it either direction, the timer would barely go up or down.

You guys wouldn't believe how difficult and dangerous it is. When you take out the screws to take off the metal shell it's actually a bendy kind of sheet metal that must be nicely machined in place so it lines up nice because to put it back together you kind of got to bend it and screw them all back. It wasnt easy lining it all up perfect. That metal shell is also some reason sharp like a knife and I sliced my palm on it. lol

My fix didn't help much. It kind of did and then the dial went back to not really working, so I just said fuck it and bought a new one. So much for trying to save $130.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

/r/illegallifeprotip

Buy a new one on amazon, preferably from warehouse deals, take the spring out from the new one and return it.

This is a joke post

or is it? :messenger_smiling_horns:

HAHA got you with the fake spoiler :messenger_ghost:

Why do you keep opening the spoilers bro?

Haha seriously stop!

DO NOT OPEN THE NEXT ONE

LAST WARNING

you lost the game

Mr.Phoenix

/r/illegallifeprotip

Buy a new one on amazon, preferably from warehouse deals, take the spring out from the new one and return it.

This is a joke post

or is it? :messenger_smiling_horns:

HAHA got you with the fake spoiler :messenger_ghost:

Why do you keep opening the spoilers bro?

Haha seriously stop!

DO NOT OPEN THE NEXT ONE

LAST WARNING

you lost the game
I couldn't stop!!!!. I impulsively opened every single one of them like the completionist I am. I better get a trophy for this shit.

StereoVsn

Ain't a lot around me for that and I doubt they have this particular size spring. But I might try that if I can't find a replacement online.
Clearly you need tot take the controller apart again and look at the spring on the other stick to measure it!

I mean what are the chances of you losing the other one? 😉

On a separate note, this is why I don’t buy super expensive controllers, because I just know I will break them.

calistan

If you have an old fashioned hardware store near you, it's worth asking there. I needed to replace a broken spring in my pinball table once, so I went to a hardware shop and the guy brought out a massive box of springs in every size. Found the one I needed, and he didn't even want any money for it.

PwTiIbo.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
I finally found the damn thing. Minor miracle really considering how small it is. Edge is whole again.

Thanks for the offerings of hope, sympathy..........and the laughter, the ridicule, and, of course, the jokes.

Got the full service treatment out of GAF for my little drama.

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

King Dazzar

I finally found the damn thing. Minor miracle really considering how small it is. Edge is whole again.

Thanks for the offerings of hope, sympathy..........and the laughter, the ridicule, and, of course, the jokes.

Got the full service treatment out of GAF for my little drama.

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor
Cool. Hey at least you will have learned a bit about opening and assembling/dissembling one. Amazing the amount of tech that goes into a normal dualsense, let alone an Edge. I try not to open them unless I have to these days. Because even the way the screws tension the whole assembly may change it ever so slightly when putting it all back together. But if FrankWza FrankWza gives thumbs up when he tries one of the batteries, I may yet take the plunge again.

Edge is a cracking controller isn it. Here's my two I keep to the side of my recliner, permanently on a dock at hands reach to be swapped.
MMySISy.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Cool. Hey at least you will have learned a bit about opening and assembling/dissembling one. Amazing the amount of tech that goes into a normal dualsense, let alone an Edge. I try not to open them unless I have to these days. Because even the way the screws tension the whole assembly may change it ever so slightly when putting it all back together. But if FrankWza FrankWza gives thumbs up when he tries one of the batteries, I may yet take the plunge again.

Edge is a cracking controller isn it. Here's my two I keep to the side of my recliner, permanently on a dock at hands reach to be swapped.
MMySISy.jpg

Damn fine controller, indeed. If you ever do open it, also be careful with that black cover that goes around the thumbsticks. It is thin plastic. Mine cracked at the narrow part towards the top. Not very sturdy for something that is designed to come off and be put back on, frankly.

King Dazzar

Damn fine controller, indeed. If you ever do open it, also be careful with that black cover that goes around the thumbsticks. It is thin plastic. Mine cracked at the narrow part towards the top. Not very sturdy for something that is designed to come off and be put back on, frankly.
Thanks for the heads up. I've watched a youtube disassembly vid, but they never cover the unexpected. Though in fairness they did mention your spring lol iirc. Yeah the scuf's I've messed around with, one of those I bent some of the internal plastic. You live and learn. They are so tightly rammed, with the Edge being even worse... great that you made through to the other side to tell the tale!

Top Bottom