• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 microtransaction pricing revealed - just £120 for a Jaguar XJ13

JSizzle

Banned
Except I've been playing Forza 5, and they gave me $4M credits, and I bought all the expensive cars I could ever want during their half price sale. And frankly, I didn't feel that it was even necessary. I have been earning credits at what feels like the same rate as Forza 4.

I haven't felt encouraged to buy credits (tokens) at all.

In fact, Forza 5 is really generous since you don't even have to be in 1st place to win a Gold trophy for a lot of the races.

True, but the payouts are still quite small for earning gold. I don't have the difficulty boosted, so that has some impact, but i'm only seeing 5K per race. Which I think works for some of the earlier races with cheaper cars. But once you've purchased a Ferrari or Lambo the payouts should be going up so that you can earn faster. In my opinion at least.

I also hesitate to give them too much credit for the Forza Rewards. Sure its a huge help to get a huge chunk of credits like that, but its a bit weak that you have to browse their website to get to it rather than accessing it in game.

Because in the gaming industry you never plan years ahead?

I don't know if it was planned that far out but its not a crazy assumption. You see where the market is going and where there are new avenues for revenue and you adjust your plans to put you in a position to take advantage of them, even if not at first. Its business.

Because, from my recollection, the basic Gran Turismo economy hasn't changed in years. When exactly did they start planning for microtransactions? GT3? GT4? Earlier?

Quexex

Banned
You shut your mouth and panic.

PANIC!

ROFL

Seriously though I've been playing GT6 on and off for the last few days and I can tell you that so far the game feels slightly more generous than GT5 (which I've played every week for the last 3 years). You earn Cars and credits as you go. If you all gold a challenge you usually get an extra car.

IISANDERII

What is everyone here really complaining about here? They didn't change the economy from Gt5 so it shouldn't make a different. You have the option of buying a car you want if you don't want to grind for it. Are people upset that this exist? Or that the price is high? Being one to not spend on this stuff myself, and enjoying grinding (earning) my cars, I am glad this is expensive. I'd hate for some rich, lazy gamer to blow me away with a super fast car he "bought" while I slave away trying to "earn" a car to compete with. THAT would really piss me off.
Well played.

Because, from my recollection, the basic Gran Turismo economy hasn't changed in years. When exactly did they start planning for microtransactions? GT3? GT4? Earlier?
I'm not saying they did. I'm saying they could have as they are a business and they do tune the reward and progression curve to meet their own internal goals.

I can't tell you what those internal goals are or have been, just that if by chance they were related to monetization efforts that wouldn't surprise me, not one iota.

Didn't GT try to introduce some microtransactions at some point and scrap them? I'm no expert here but I remember some talk of it in previous GT threads.

Barakov

It seems like it's not as bad as what happened with Forza 5(economy built around microtransactions) but the fact that they're in a $60 game is beyond worrisome. They really have no place in a full priced game.

Gaz_RB

This is why I liked when there were gamesharks, codes etc. that just unlock everything. I paid $60 for your game, let me drive whichever car in it I want, whenever I want, on any track I want. Maybe I don't have 100 hours to spend driving cars I don't care about so that I can afford to unlock stuff.

This kind of thing is almost unthinkable in any other simulation sub-genres. Just think of buying a pinball game for $60 that has all the Williams tables, but you have to play Pachinko for 100 hours so that you can afford to unlock the actual tables.

Forreal. Cheat codes have been replaced with DLC. Sometimes you even have to buy the fucking cheat codes.

Yeah I don't care. If someone wants to pay a stupid price for a car let them. I'm not going to. I'm not even going to consider it. It doesn't seem like GT6 is any less packed with gaming then if this car couldn't be bought with money.

Sound logic.

I'm not saying they did. I'm saying they could have as they are a business and they do tune the reward and progression curve to meet their own internal goals.

I can't tell you what those internal goals are or have been, just that if by chance they were related to monetization efforts that wouldn't surprise me, not one iota.

Didn't GT try to introduce some microtransactions at some point and scrap them? I'm no expert here but I remember some talk of it in previous GT threads.

GTHD had some wicked bad MT plans but it was scrapped early on with the rest of the project.

Arc

I think the fact that you have no access to all the cars and track is kind of crap to begin with, and instead of removing the crap, they pile on even bigger crap to "solve" the problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.

You realize allowing all cars to be playable out of the box would negate the entire career mode right?

It seems like it's not as bad as what happened with Forza 5(economy built around microtransactions) but the fact that they're in a $60 game is beyond worrisome. They really have no place in a full priced game.

Of course they have a place! Consumers have voted with their wallets that they want stuff like this.

Im not saying I approve, but why wouldn't you include them if your audience keeps wanting to buy them?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They claim to make a "simulator" btw, right there on the box, so the fact that you don't have all there is available at the very beginning, really undermines this and fits it squarely into a "Game" and not a "Simulator" category. Is there a PC simulator like Project Cars or Asseto Corsa that has most of its cars locked behind grinding? I really doubt it.

GTHD was going to be F2P though.
I thought it didn't have like... a base set of cars/tracks though. I thought it was just pay for whatever you want.

They claim to make a "simulator" btw, right there on the box, so the fact that you don't have all there is available at the very beginning, really undermines this and fits it squarely into a "Game" and not a "Simulator" category. Is there a PC simulator like Project Cars or Asseto Corsa that has most of its cars locked behind grinding? I really doubt it.

All of iRacing.

Jinko

This shit has no place in a full price retail game, ridiculous. The worst thing is some people will buy this shit.

This pretty much.

If games are becoming such a money sink for these developers that they have to recoup through crappy transactions like this they should probably scale back a bit or rethink their development strategy.

This just makes me want games less, I'll wait for the bargain bucket.

They claim to make a "simulator" btw, right there on the box, so the fact that you don't have all there is available at the very beginning, really undermines this and fits it squarely into a "Game" and not a "Simulator" category. Is there a PC simulator like Project Cars that has most of its cars locked behind grinding? I really doubt it.

Even though it's called simulator, it is still a video game.
The idea behind acquiring the cars is to give you sense of progression and satisfaction when you get that car your eally wanted.
I think it's fine the way it is.

As for "infinite grinding", you max your wallet in 3 to 5 races. You really think that should be called grinding?

Of course they have a place! Consumers have voted with their wallets that they want stuff like this.

Im not saying I approve, but why wouldn't you include them if your audience keeps wanting to buy them?

"Whales" have voted with their wallets. Microtransactions earn money mainly from a very small number of users that pay for a LOT of in-game content. Not everyone paying a few bucks, but a tiny percentage of the audience paying thousands.

It seems laughable to most people to pay £120 for an in-game car, but someone will do it.

Edit:
Even though it's called simulator, it is still a video game.
The idea behind acquiring the cars is to give you sense of progression and satisfaction when you get that car you really wanted.
I think it's fine the way it is.

As for "infinite grinding", you max your wallet in 3 to 5 races. You really think that should be called grinding?

...which is immediately undermined when some chump speeds past in the same car who just paid for it on his credit card.

Then here's your next question: If PD did, in fact, tune the reward and progression curve in GT5 to prepare people for microtransactions in GT6, but no one had a problem with GT5's economy when they played it, does it even matter?

I'll admit, I hated the concept of microtransactions in Mass Effect 3's multiplayer when it was first revealed. I thought it was a corrupt practice that swayed game design to prop up profits. But you know what? It really didn't end up being all that awful. The game was fun even without paying for microtransactions, and the microtransactions other people paid essentially funded new DLC maps that were released for free.

I still dislike the concept of microtransactions, but I don't think the issue is so black and white anymore. I'll never pay for them, but if they are implemented right, they are no hindrance to my enjoyment of the game, and in fact may benefit me by giving the publisher an incentive to release free content.

This pretty much.

If games are becoming such a money sink for these developers that they have to recoup through crappy transactions like this they should probably scale back a bit or rethink their development strategy.

This just makes me want games less, I'll wait for the bargain bucket.

If they design the game to not require microtransactions, but offer them to the people that want to buy the game and use the microtransactions to bypass the grind, what's the issue? Make a good game and let people enjoy it without paying extra. If someone wants to pay for things they don't want to spend time doing, let that person, but don't harm the person that enjoys to play the game without paying a penny more.

test_account

XP-39C²
Uh are we supposed to like micro-transactions with our favorite games but ridicule the the games we don't like? come on we're better than it, we should hate micro-transactions regardless whatever the game.
I cant answer for anyone else in those quotes, but regarding my quote, i said basically the same in the Forza 5 thread as well. As long as a game isnt designed heavily around microtranscations, i dont really see a problem. I agree that some of the prices are kinda ridiculous, but if it doesnt affect the game design, i have no problem just playing the game in the "classic way" (in other words, dont buy microtranscations that serves are time savers, unlocking stuff early etc.). I've yet to see a full priced retail game that is really built around microtranscations.

I only jumped in at GT5 so I wouldn't know. Probably though.

These systems like XP or credit progression and unlocks, change over time to meet new design goals. I'm not saying that the credit system was put into the very first GT game to monetize it with GT6, but tuning the reward rate early on as part of a future monetization effort isn't far fetched.
Yeah, that is what i'm wondering about, how the credits payout in GT5 compares to the previous GT games :) But i saw some comments earlier that the credits payout in GT6 seems to be more generous compared to GT5.

malyce

All of iRacing.

The fuck? No. You can purchase all of iRacing's content from the start and drive which ever car/track combo you like. However in order to participate in official iRacing races you must have the required license. There is no grinding. You progress based on skill.

I thought it didn't have like... a base set of cars/tracks though. I thought it was just pay for whatever you want.

You would download "Gran Turismo HD Classic" for free from PSN, which would contain some cars/tracks bought over from GT4. They were gonna sell you the rest of the cars/tracks from GT4 as micro transactions. You would also be able to buy "Premium" cars/tracks (which would be featured in GT5).

PD were also going to sell "Gran Turismo HD Premium" as a retail disc.

The fuck? No. You can purchase all of iRacing's content from the start and drive which ever car/track combo you like. However in order to participate in official iRacing races you must have the required license. There is no grinding. You progress based on skill.

I played iRacing for a year. Time IS money. And time is required to get skill and skill to those licenses. God forbid you crash though and it knocks you down back into the lower leagues. The year subscription when I played was about 60 bucks, it's around 50 now, so even if you play a year it's cheaper than a launch retail game. But still, you have to grind out licenses and it takes a lot of time. Especially since you have to go on set schedules.

Time is money in that "game."

But that's a game that requires a monthly subscription, and once you pay that you have everything available and the game itself is free, no?
^^

Calabi

Grinding is a regressive game design. It doesnt matter to me that the grind is the same as in GT5, I'm betting its still really long(especially for those whom are not skilled and cant go online or dont want to).

It's a crutch for flaws in game design. They think their game isnt fun to play for very long so they have to slow the players progress as much as possible without it getting to frustrating. I expect they spend hours designing and gating the content according to how they want the player to progress.

Then they end up with about 80 percent of the players not progressing very far(as other threads found out about the trophy rarity in GT5), and fewer players whom will buy the next game.

I dont understand why it matters how fast players progress, why slow them down so much, what does it matter after they have paid for the game. Why not have it like a real racing career, where the race rewards due to skill become exponential. But thats not likely to happen now the grind is baked in its required to justify the transactions. Even if the grind is better than Forza its still bad it doesnt need to be that way.

It makes me laugh, they put all this work in, to build this huge amount of content, when probably less than ten percent of players see much of it.

Adding microtransactions to me means they admit the game design is flawed. Their trying to fix it the wrong way(or just trying to make a quick sleazy buck).

Shambles

I played iRacing for a year. Time IS money. And time is required to get skill and skill to those licenses. God forbid you crash though and it knocks you down back into the lower leagues. The year subscription when I played was about 60 bucks, it's around 50 now, so even if you play a year it's cheaper than a launch retail game. But still, you have to grind out licenses and it takes a lot of time. Especially since you have to go on set schedules.

So exactly how much 'money' did you spend on reading/posting on GAF today?

...which is immediately undermined when some chump speeds past in the same car who just paid for it on his credit card.

Hey, every one should play their game at their own pace.

Tell you the truth if I got a 20 million car buy racing 4 times (45mins to 1 hour?) and somebody else got the same car while spending $150, I would feel preetty good about the way I got it. lol

I'm not defending microtransactions. I think they are terrible in most cases.
But it would be a lot worse if you were actually forced into them, which is not the case in GT6 thank god.

Not cool, Sony. Not cool at all. I really wish these had just been left out of the game altogether. Let people pay for limited editions and proper DLC (not on disc), not to mention the game itself.

Hopefully the nagging will at least be kept to a minimum.

Microtransactions1.jpg

Microtransactions2.jpg

Oh please

If you want to buy it the traditional way aka grinding.. Then do so
Unfortunately this is just a stepping stone. More and more games are going to use this and before you know it entire games are built around microtransactions. You won't even realize it when it happens, and by then it will have been ingrained into the gaming culture. Personally, i refuse to support a game that has them in it, in any form. This kind of stuff goes beyond any brand loyalty, because first and foremost we should be supporting the gaming community. If not supporting microtransactions leads to the death of AAA games, so be it. Bring back appropriately priced small and medium sized games.

Jinko

If they design the game to not require microtransactions, but offer them to the people that want to buy the game and use the microtransactions to bypass the grind, what's the issue? Make a good game and let people enjoy it without paying extra. If someone wants to pay for things they don't want to spend time doing, let that person, but don't harm the person that enjoys to play the game without paying a penny more.

Why even dumb down the game for people who don't want to put in the effort to begin with.

It's like games are slowly becoming a F2P, except we actually have to pay full price for the frikkin game.

Unfortunately this is just a stepping stone. More and more games are going to use this and before you know it entire games are built around microtransactions. You won't even realize it when it happens, and by then it will have been ingrained into the gaming culture. Personally, i refuse to support a game that has them in it, in any form. This kind of stuff goes beyond any brand loyalty, because first and foremost we should be supporting the gaming community. If not supporting microtransactions leads to the death of AAA games, so be it. Bring back appropriately priced small and medium sized games.

This is what I am thinking, this is a means to an end for these companies, once the idea is accepted it will be too late and gaming will have become worse off for it.

malyce

^^
I hope you understand that the iRacing provides a service in which you get bar none the most competitive online sim racing experience. You can't just have rookies hopping into higher classed races and fucking everyone's day up. The safety rating is there for a reason. If you can't keep it above what's required to stay in a certain class, it says more about your driving than the sim.

So exactly how much 'money' did you spend on reading/posting on GAF today?

Uhhh...Considering I don't have a subscription to NeoGAF. $0.00.

Of course, I'm sure you just skimmed my post and skipped the part where you pay a sub fee for iRacing. iRacing takes time to "unlock" and "grind" to what you want, so you spend money to unlock things that are essentially a part of the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

^^
In that case, that sucks as well. I have nothing against the Career mode where everything is locked and you have small amount of money to start with etc. But make everything unlocked in the arcade mode - I paid for your simulator and I should be getting that stuff, no questions asked.

IISANDERII

I cant answer for anyone else in those quotes, but regarding my quote, i said basically the same in the Forza 5 thread as well. As long as a game isnt designed heavily around microtranscations, i dont really see a problem. I agree that some of the prices are kinda ridiculous, but if it doesnt affect the game design, i have no problem just playing the game in the "classic way"
The problem is, that you can never be sure if the design of the game wasn't influenced by additional monetization.
The moment you feel a race is too long, you're not progressing fast enough or you got pwned online by a dude with a $14million Zonda you may begin to think that the design choices around monetization are what's keeping you from fun and satisfaction.

Grinding is a regressive game design. It doesnt matter to me that the grind is the same as in GT5, I'm betting its still really long(especially for those whom are not skilled and cant go online or dont want to).

It's a crutch for flaws in game design. They think their game isnt fun to play for very long so they have to slow the players progress as much as possible without it getting to frustrating. I expect they spend hours designing and gating the content according to how they want the player to progress.

Then they end up with about 80 percent of the players not progressing very far(as other threads found out about the trophy rarity in GT5), and fewer players whom will buy the next game.

I dont understand why it matters how fast players progress, why slow them down so much, what does it matter after they have paid for the game. Why not have it like a real racing career, where the race rewards due to skill become exponential. But thats not likely to happen now the grind is baked in its required to justify the transactions. Even if the grind is better than Forza its still bad it doesnt need to be that way.

It makes me laugh, they put all this work in, to build this huge amount of content, when probably less than ten percent of players see much of it.

Adding microtransactions to me means they admit the game design is flawed. Their trying to fix it the wrong way(or just trying to make a quick sleazy buck).

There are 1200 cars in the game. To complete SP you only need a dozen. The most expensive car you would need is either a LMP or F1. There isn't much grinding needed to complete A spec.

The grinding in GT5 is there to make cars rare. Your probably wondering is there not a better way to emulate rarity. You either have random chance (which is the worst way imo) or place the reward behind a challenge. The players will be really pissed if such cars where locked behind difficult challenges because as crazy as it sounds grinding for hours is easier than some of challenges in GT5.

njr

I wonder how the reviews will reflect the presence of macrotransactions in the game. Forza got away with it. It all rests on how much the game design has been impacted now.

XTERC

Doesn't the microtransactions actually make this game more realistic? The poor racer buying a cheap car and getting sponsorship and earning his way vs. the rich kid going to the track in his new Ferrari because he's spoiled.

Top Bottom