• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells (to customers) 2 Million Units in 18 Days

Pop

And you're ignoring the "every" in "Microsoft lies EVERY SINGLE TIME". Funny how that works, eh?

Why does it matter to me what that guy stated?

I in no way said Microsoft lies every time. I am merely stating that Microsoft has lied about sales figures over one of their products and very recent. Shareholders sued them over the Surface for falsely putting out fake sales figures. I don't know the outcome of that situation just showing that Microsoft has lied about sales.

Chobel

If MS lied about it, can anybody discover it? If yes, then I don't think MS is stupid enough to risk having negative PR and maybe even lawsuits just for the sake for stupid number.

Satchel

Banned
I'm talking worldwide numbers unless Sony launched in other countries without actually selling any stock plus hey guess what no they didn't

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=93016795#post93016795

60,000 - 65,000 units sold on one Sunday at one chain of stores in the US 3 weeks after launch ain't bad (granted sell through within a day was apparently closer to 91.5% then 100 but those extra units will sell out within a day or two I'm sure)

So yeah PS4 DIDN'T stay static

But didn't the 2.1 figure include the launch countries like Australia and such?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think both companies are functionally selling every console they are making right now.

If one has outsold the other, it's only because one has gotten more systems out to stores. Of course getting more systems out to customers is in and of itself a victory of sorts.

It's impossible to compare success when both systems are supply constrained.

PBY

Banned

I in no way said Microsoft lies every time. I am merely stating that Microsoft has lied about sales figures over one of their products and very recent. Shareholders sued them over the Surface for falsely putting out fake sales figures. I don't know the outcome of that situation just showing that Microsoft has lied about sales.
You're stating that MS has lied about sales numbers as fact, based on a complaint that alleges something that isn't really the same thing, and hasn't been litigated?

If you don't know the outcome of the situation... how can you show that MS has lied about sales?

If MS lied about it, can anybody discover it? If yes, then I don't think MS is stupid enough to risk having negative PR and maybe even lawsuits just for the sake for stupid number.

Yes. MS wouldn't be stupid enough to affirmatively provide false numbers.

Nocturnx

I'm glad to see both systems are selling very well. I'm more interested to see the NPD numbers for software sales for both systems and attach rate. I love stats!

RoKKeR

Just popped in here and there is now talk of this being a made up number?

Yikes.

Anyways, good that it's selling well. Competition and what not.

I know it's boring to repeat this, but NPDs tomorrow and next month aren't going to be that interesting for people like you and me. We don't care about victories for corporations. We care about the trajectory of the industry etc. And for that, much like the Wii U in 2013, NPDs won't be interesting until we see how consoles sold in Jan, Feb and March.

I disagree :)

Numbers are going to be interesting just won't mean anything ;)

I love numbers but yes do certainly agree that they say little to nothing about long-term trends. I am very curious to try and reverse engineer how each company played their logistics during the launch period. Is Sony seriously front-loaded and if so how much? etc.

But yes Feb and March we can start depicting long term trends a little, Jan we can say how launch went

But didn't the 2.1 figure include the launch countries like Australia and such?

Hmm not sure what you mean?

I just showed that PS4 is not static in the US which would mean it's not static in the WW sales either so not sure what you mean?

bigmf

MS didn't lie about Surface sales figures. They had Surface inventory that was valued higher that what the could sell them for. The took the write-down on that inventory in the fourth quarter rather than the third quarter

Here's a couple of quotes:

"The Company's Surface RT product was experiencing poor customer demand and lackluster sales... Surface RT inventory experienced a material decline in value during the quarter ended March 31, 2013... financial statements for the quarter ended March 31, 2013 were materially false and misleading and violated Generally Accepted Accounting."

"Microsoft's foray into the tablet market was an unmitigated disaster, which left it with a large accumulation of excess, over-valued Surface RT inventory," the suit said.

This is a vastly different thing than fraudulently reporting sales numbers.

Vestal

Gold Member
Just popped in here and there is now talk of this being a made up number?

Yikes.

Anyways, good that it's selling well. Competition and what not.

yes some people don't seem to understand the severity of a publicly traded company fudging numbers in a public statement.

I disagree :)

Numbers are going to be interesting just won't mean anything ;)

I love numbers but yes do certainly agree that they say little to nothing about long-term trends. I am very curious to try and reverse engineer how each company played their logistics during the launch period. Is Sony seriously front-loaded and if so how much? etc.

But yes Feb and March we can start depicting long term trends a little, Jan we can say how launch went

The only numbers I will find interesting will be those of 3DS and Wii U. I allow an exception for December if either of PS4 and XBO start regularly sticking around on store shelves during the month, building up an inventory, at which point we will be able to state that launch demand has been satiated and then it becomes a matter of just where did that system top out. Otherwise, whatever the numbers are can just be chalked up to supply constraints (obviously, high numbers are still impressive, but even low numbers don't say anything).

This season is all about can 3DS use 2DS to reverse slumping YOY shipments, and does Wii U have any evidence of a pulse. Vita, being long since dead, is a non-issue.

The only numbers I will find interesting will be those of 3DS and Wii U. I allow an exception for December if either of PS4 and XBO start regularly sticking around on store shelves during the month, at which point will be able to state that launch demand has been satiated and then it becomes a matter of just where did that system top out. Otherwise, whatever the numbers are can just be chalked up to supply constraints (obviously, high numbers are still impressive, but even low numbers don't say anything).

This season is all about can 3DS use 2DS to reverse slumping YOY shipments, and does Wii U have any evidence of a pulse. Vita, being long since dead, is a non-issue.

I certainly agree that little in the way of meaningful trends can be derived from PS4/XB1 numbers in Nov and Dec. I just meant it'd be interesting to determine how much and when both companies stocked the US market that's all

3DS/2DS (are these tracked together in one number?) and Wii U numbers are actual meaningful metrics as they depict far more

yes some people don't seem to understand the severity of a publicly traded company fudging numbers in a public statement.
Indeed. It's revealing about the posters themselves more than anything and the depths of irrational fandom for their favorite large corporation.

I posted this data point on Twitter earlier, but wanted to share it here:

Fun Fact: It took 5 months for Xbox 360 to sell 2 million units.
Oh hi Major, I almost forgot you had an account here.

That's just because it took about 5 months for MS to actually ship 2 million 360 units.

But 1 day is still all stock gone.

In Australia, the PS4 was sold out BEFORE it was released.

So 1 day of sales is still the maximum possible number of sales. I assumed the 2.1 in 2 weeks includes all that.

Of course it does? We're working with products that are supply-constrained thus I don't see why that would matter?

PS4 did in fact sell 2.1 million consoles in that time frame, XB1 sold 2 million in its timeframe regardless of regions

jmcoo7

Banned
But 1 day is still all stock gone.

In Australia, the PS4 was sold out BEFORE it was released.

So 1 day of sales is still the maximum possible number of sales. I assumed the 2.1 in 2 weeks includes all that.

I doubt that since many companies don't take payment until unit is stock ie Game, amazon in uk.

nick380

Neo Member
Yep Faster than Light :)

Think it could work well on consoles and 3DS and Vita and my phone and tablets....

I would totally quadruple dip on that game

I would jump so fast on an IOS release haha. I always seem to have little amounts of free time like on the way to work (I carpool), or taking a crap either way I'm down!

As for this thread! I bet they made this announcement because people assumed that it being available on amazon made it look like it wasn't selling? if that makes sense...

I would jump so fast on an IOS release haha. I always seem to have little amounts of free time like on the way to work (I carpool), or taking a crap either way I'm down!

As for this thread! I bet they made this announcement because people assumed that it being available on amazon made it look like it wasn't selling? if that makes sense...

Yep iOS version if coming I believe at least for ipads

Totally would dig a console or vita version though

And they announced it as it's a good metric a good piece of PR :)

I posted this data point on Twitter earlier, but wanted to share it here:

Fun Fact: It took 5 months for Xbox 360 to sell 2 million units.

I'm not a fan of the X1 but this is my reaction:
mexican-soccer-coach-2.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well I guess that's kind of fun

Wonder how long it took the original Xbox to sell 2 million?

also about 5 months iirc... 360 had severe shortages which is why it took so long.

also it took about 2.5 years for Xbox Live to get 2 million subscribers.

I think it's more about the benchmark. Round numbers are easy to deal with. They would have had the release ready to go once that sell-through number was at or reasonably close enough to 2 million. If they can get to 3 million relatively soon, I think you'll see another release.

also about 5 months iirc... 360 had severe shortages which is why it took so long.

also it took about 2.5 years for Xbox Live to get 2 million subscribers.

Huh that's interesting although that big ol beauty launched with Halo so I can see it being highly demanded at the time

When did Xbox live go live again? During OG days obviously

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Huh that's interesting although that big ol beauty launched with Halo so I can see it being highly demanded at the time

When did Xbox live go live again? During OG days obviously

november 2002 it went public

E3 2005 when going over xbox 360 at the first time... i remember they announced 2.1 million subscribers.

I'm sure MS wouldn't lie about something like this. What I'm wondering is what the sales breakdown is. I mean, most of them have to be coming from NA and the UK, so how much have they sold in the US? They must have sold more than the PS4 or at the very least on par with it in NA, no?

jmcoo7

Banned
I'm sure MS wouldn't lie about something like this. What I'm wondering is what the sales breakdown is. I mean, most of them have to be coming from NA and the UK, so how much have they sold in the US? They must have sold more than the PS4 or at the very least on par with it in NA, no?

Depends I think we will have a new figure from Sony after Sunday, given the large shipment going to Wal-Mart and maybe other's. It's going to be fun seeing the various press releases.

GenericUser

Totally ... people will definitly choose the technically inferior, 100 bucks more expensive gaming console over its cheaper competitor. Totally buying that.It's all about the UI guys, such clean, so smooth. And have you even had the chance to take a look at titanfall?

Honestly. I highly doubt the xbox one will outsell the ps4, once sony will be able to deliver enough consoles to the retailers. Most importantly though is that the console market as a whole will strife to stay the leader when it comes to AA(A) games.

Tsundere

Banned
It depends what PS4 is at right now.

Totally ... people will definitly choose the technically inferior, 100 bucks more expensive gaming console over its cheaper competitor. Totally buying that.It's all about the UI guys, such clean, so smooth.
Many hardcore 360 loyalists will. That'll do for the launch window.

Marleyman

Banned
Totally ... people will definitly choose the technically inferior, 100 bucks more expensive gaming console over its cheaper competitor. Totally buying that.It's all about the UI guys, such clean, so smooth. And have you even had the chance to take a look at titanfall?

images

Bgamer90

Banned
Totally ... people will definitly choose the technically inferior, 100 bucks more expensive gaming console over its cheaper competitor. Totally buying that.It's all about the UI guys, such clean, so smooth.

Or maybe because of the exclusive games and features that aren't on the competing console?

Haha, seriously -- I don't get the way some people in this thread think... I've seen console wars but not like this. The rage/salt is at a scary level; a "seek professional help" level.

If I'm not interested in a product, I just ignore and/or be indifferent about its "success stories". Guess I'm strange.

Also, did you buy a PS2 after the year 2001 and not a GameCube? If so, you're a hypocrite.

UNCMark

Banned

Now this right here is the very definition of 'salt'. Good lord console wars make some people loopy.

Top Bottom