• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer for Wii coming in March (PR)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
PRESS RELEASE: March debut for PES 2008 for Wii
Press release supplied by Games Press 11:00 (GMT) 17/01/2008

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has announced a late March release date for its eagerly-awaited PES 2008 for Wii™.

Created specifically to make full use of the Wii’s unique control system, PES 2008 brings all the realism of Pro Evolution Soccer to the Nintendo machine, but with a more ‘team-orientated’ control system. The Wii game mirrors the real sport’s use of open space and the exploitation of defensive lapses and accurate passes essential in creating scoring opportunities. The Wii version of PES 2008 expands on these elements, with the use of the Nunchuck and Wii Remote controllers giving the player control over both the player on the ball, and those around him.

Using a point and drag system, the player uses the Wii Remote to guide the player with the ball, and perform all the skill moves and close control with subtle movements of their hand. Instantly, the Wii Remote is used to point at nearby players to select them to receive a pass or to latch on to a through-ball. The Remote can also be used to steer the run of the receiving player, giving extra control as they thread through masses of defenders or run into open space.

The new system gives the player full control over their team, and allows the man marking of specific threats, while shakes of the Wii Nunchuk can be used to perform sliding tackles, and send the goal keeper out to clear a loose ball. The strategic elements are also easily accessed, with the directional controls of the Wii Remote used to activate tactical plays and spring counter attacks or send players tracking back.

PES 2008 for Wii features six game modes, spanning Match, League and Cup elements, and Training and Trade section. The new version also features an exclusive ‘Champions Road’ competition, wherein players take their chosen team to compete in league competitions all over the world. The idea of the Champions Road tournament is to come top in every league, and build a team by receiving players from recently defeated sides.

Experience points are added to all used players after a match, and bolster the attacking ability, technique and stamina. Extra skills can also be unlocked, allowing users to piece together a ‘Dream Team’ that constantly grows as they become more successful. Additional mini-tasks are also randomly set during the course of a Champions Road match, too, such as scoring a hat-trick, and succeeding allows the player to add higher-rated players to their team.

Full Mii support is also present, and users can integrate up to 16 pre-defined Miis into a team, while the ever-changing teams can be stored on to the Wii Remote and switched between two linked Remotes. PES 2008 also has a strong online element, allowing users to play ‘Free Matches’ against unknown opponents, or ‘Friend Matches’ against people on the Wii’s Friends list. Team data can also be sent to friends via the console’s WiiConnect24 system.

“It was vital that the Wii version of PES 2008 made full use of the hardware’s innovative control system, and we are extremely pleased with what the team has come up with,” commented Jon Murphy, Pro Evolution Soccer Team Leader. “It feels as if you have total control over the entire team and the use of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to both implement moves and send players into space or off to make runs is remarkably intuitive. It adds a new layer of realism, and makes this Wii version an essential PES experience.”

PES 2008 will be released for Wii in March 2008. For more information, please contact Steve Merrett at Voltage PR on 020 7903 5122 or email steve@voltagepr.com.

Holy crap... looks like Konami really went all-out with this one. If they nail it with this, they could have a pretty fascinating approach to the game that just wouldn't be possible on the other two platforms.

...and Mii support! :D

spwolf

now this will be interesing to see - will traditional PES players buy this? there is shitload of Wii's in Europe. If it works well it will sell millions.

Lobster

Banned
spwolf said:
now this will be interesing to see - will traditional PES players buy this? there is shitload of Wii's in Europe. If it works well it will sell millions.

For all we know though, Konami could make it not sell by investing millions in making sure it zaps anyone that comes next to it so they can release a press release saying that only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo consoles.

spwolf said:

It sounds really good and it's great to see a third party that isn't a load of shit but I can't see this going gangbusters on Wii - sports games and Nintendo consoles have never had a very good relationship.

That said, I'm all over this.

lochnesssnowman said:
It sounds really good and it's great to see a third party that isn't a load of shit but I can't see this going gangbusters on Wii - sports games and Nintendo consoles have never had a very good relationship.

That said, I'm all over this.

Konami MUST advertise the hell out of this game.

Many people will not understand and appreciate the controls without being told about them - most of them will see it on the shelves and either think that the controls would be stupid (since you use your hands in a game based on feet) or that the 360/PS3 versions are better.

Konami have to hype the hell out of these controls and show as many people as possible, through good advertising.

ksamedi

_Alkaline_ said:
Konami MUST advertise the hell out of this game.

Many people will not understand and appreciate the controls without being told about them - most of them will see it on the shelves and either think that the controls would be stupid (since you use your hands in a game based on feet) or that the 360/PS3 versions are better.

Konami have to hype the hell out of these controls and show as many people as possible, through good advertising.

Exactly, advertisement is the key here but I think this will do pretty good in the UK. Its been a while since PES released so this could also be perceived as a new version.

Nuclear Muffin said:
NO FRIEND CODES! it uses the internal Wii Friend`s list :D

Sounds great!

Uhh, I wouldn’t get too excited – it still sounds like it will use a unique Friends list for everything but anonymous online play, much like most other Wii/DS online titles.

RJT

I think this can become huge in the UK.
In Portugal, not so much. Team play is not our best football skill :)

btw, they should get Mourinho in the cover of this version.

EDIT: It's "on" the cover, right? I can never get "in" and "on" right...

fresquito

Heh, the new Mode sounds somehow interesting.

I don't quite understand the Mii support yet. Will Miis be playable? :lol

PkunkFury

ugh, hold this until April please. I want to play but I won't need to buy another game for a good month and a half after Smash Bros is released

fresquito said:
I don't quite understand the Mii support yet. Will Miis be playable? :lol

Apparently; it seems that you can add up to a maximum of 16 Miis to your team, though it does say "pre-defined" so I'm not sure whether that means you can import your own Miis or whether you'll be limited to a selection on the disc (the latter seems to rather miss the point of Miis, though...)

The Innocent X said:
Sounds terrible to me. Forcing Wii controls where they don't fit.

Whut? This doesn't sound like anything of the sort.

Hitmeneer

The Innocent X said:

You didn't see any of the trailers/movies, right? Because if you did, you wouldn't say something this stupid.

You have so much more controll of your play in this version, by indicating where your will be passing and where your teammates have to go. It makes the game a lot deeper - gameplay wise.

RJT

The Innocent X said:
I'm sorry, but you clearly didn't see the videos for this. It could be the best non-manager football game ever.

The Hermit

spwolf said:

This is my doubt as well... I hope I enjoy as much as older W11/POS.

peetfeet

Online and some kind of Mii support?!

If it plays well and i can have Mii's such as myself, Darth, Ron Jeremy, Dr Zaius and my daughter in my team i'm gonna be all over this, day 1!

spwolf said:

That would include me (in the US) and yes, I am all over this. Already pre-ordered because my local store usually only gets about 3 copies of WE/PES at launch.

Hitmeneer said:
You didn't see any of the trailers/movies, right? Because if you did, you wouldn't say something this stupid.

You have so much more controll of your play in this version, by indicating where your will be passing and where your teammates have to go. It makes the game a lot deeper - gameplay wise.

Truth.

If there was ever a game that appears to have used Wii technology to its utmost advantage, it's PES.

The one issue still preventing it from being an 'OMG day one' title for me is I want to hear impressions of whether it ever starts to feel like a chore to have so much control over your team through an entire match. I don't think it would, but it might be a tough transition at first...going from playing so much of an individual-based game to playing one where you can literally dictate directions to every man on the pitch with the flick of a wrist.

I also wish there was some sort of SD card support for importing rosters, just to make THAT process a bit easier.

Definitely better keep an eye on this. It could be one of the most revolutionary console sports titles in quite a while.

DoubleTap

Day freaking one. It seems like they took out Master League and put in Champions Road instead. The controls will take some time to get used to but that's the whole point anyway.

peetfeet

Full Mii support is also present, and users can integrate up to 16 pre-defined Miis into a team, while the ever-changing teams can be stored on to the Wii Remote and switched between two linked Remotes.

This hopefully refers to Mii's already created in the Mii Channel, in other words if you want Mii's in your team you can't create the Mii in PES-you have to do it beforehand in the Mii Channel. At least thats the way i interpret it.

fresquito

DoubleTap said:
Day freaking one. It seems like they took out Master League and put in Champions Road instead. The controls will take some time to get used to but that's the whole point anyway.
Now that you say it, yeah, Master League is missing from the press release.

I hope they include this mode, since is the one I spend more time in PES. That said, Master League needs a total change in almost every possible way.

Zhengi

I am going to be getting this game day one. If the Championships Road mode is anything like Success mode in MLB Power Pros, I am going to be one incredibly happy gamer.

Pri14.jpg

Prii1.jpg

Prii3.jpg

Prii10.jpg

the rest can be found here

http://www.gamert.nl/multimedia/wii_pes_plaatjes.html

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sule said:
I sincerely hope you didn't write that piece of shit article on there. Screens look disappointing, but I'm guessing it's compression? The videos looked way better.

Well yeah; they're basically using the models from the PS2 version right? That's the only thing that gives me a bit of pause--so damn sick of looking at those models and animations by now I almost wish they had kiddified a bit or something.

jts

...hate me...
Does Seabass have anything to say at all in the development of this? Even if he screwed things up for PES2008, i really hope so.

Sule said:
I sincerely hope you didn't write that piece of shit article on there. Screens look disappointing, but I'm guessing it's compression? The videos looked way better.

did you even read the last line about EA and their FIFA? :lol :lol :lol :lol

all jokes aside, this is going to be one of the greatest soccer games ever created since International Super Star Soccer on the SNES

Top Bottom