• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Story spamming through audio and text logfiles needs to stop

Toxi

Banned
I will take audio logs and text logs over non skippable 'interactive' cutscenes - the kind where you're trapped in a room forced to watch people yammering at each other, or forced to walk slowly down a hallway with your hand on your ear - every time. I think that stuff is one of the worst parts of video games today. It really kills the flow of the game, sometimes I just want to get moving but instead I'm being force fed a story that 9 times out of 10 is horrendous anyway.

Seriously, for all the faults with Bioshock Infinite, I'd rate its audio logs as one of the least distracting. I find audio logs a fun way of discovering more of the setting bit by bit without the game forcing me.

Yeah, I found it particularly headscratching in Infinite. Half the shit people recorded was really incriminating stuff they wouldn't dare take out of the house (or record to begin with, for that matter), and several times I'd end up having to replay it back because of other stuff being a distraction. Indeed, that was a problem that came up with in-game dialouge as well.

I feel that avoiding cutscenes can hurt story presentation more than it can help.

Rolf NB

I like audio logs and radio voice-over. For setting the tone, providing motivation, reason etc, they are far superior to their alternatives. Cutscenes and text displays interrupt gameplay, while audio logs don't, when done properly.

The actual problem is that we have no moderation in story telling anymore. Teams are too big. Too many sub-par writers all trying to leave their mark on the product just creates an abundance of useless pseudo-flavour. Even so, audio is still clearly a superior delivery method.

Doom 3 and Dead Space 1 are excellent examples of well-done integration of story and gameplay. You can take or leave the narrative, and you can literally keep moving while you consume it. Gameplay comes first.

Remember Me OTOH was utterly offensive, laden with throwaway lore, thousand-character infodump essays about a whole lot of nothing, constant barrage of cut-scenes, and neverending intrusions on player agency. It may not be the worst offender of all time, but of all the games I've played this year, it pissed me off the most.

Mman235

In the right context I like audio and text logs as they do a far better job of matching player agency and freedom to explore than intermittent cutscenes. They draw from investigative piece-by-piece methods of narrative wherein you learn chunks of a large story through perspectives and dialogue written/recorded usually in first person and relevant to the scene or sequence, like listening to a doctor's audio diaries about a patient or reading various scientific reports for some crazy experiment in the middle of a run down laboratory.

Exploring a dilapidated location with an aura of mystery and freely discovering fragments of information, through reading and listening, adds to the atmosphere of a place drenched in mystery and secrets to uncover. It's a particularly effective method of story telling in a horror game wherein there should be nobody around to spell out the story for you. Show-don't-tell story telling is more important, but can be combined with fragmented audio/text narrative to add to the scene. Especially since, as said, it can often be contextually relevant to the location.

So yeah, consider me firmly on the opposite end of the spectrum. I like story telling in video games that encourages detective work and agency, through discovery and thought processing of the information collected so far. I like to be given some control over my consumption of that information, such as reading or listening. I prefer this method, and feel more absorbed and entangled in the game world, perhaps even moreso than normal, when it's used effectively. And in many cases more expensive and laborious methods of story telling, like scripted sequences and uninterrupted cutscenes, which have characters spelling things out and moving/behaving without my control, disrupts my immersion and disconnects me from the game world.

EDIT: To expand on this, and maybe better clarify what I mean, I feel in the right context audio and text log discovery is appropriate to behaviour that I was exhibit if I were in the scenario the game provides. If I'm exploring a run down location devoid of people wherein some tragic and/or mysterious event occurred, you bet I'm going to look over papers scattered around, and if I found a recording then listen to it. I'd naturally want to know more about my surroundings. Therefore if a game positions me in this scenario, this is exactly the kind of thing I want to do.

This pretty much sums up the situations where I prefer this style of story. Plus it cuts down on cutscenes and other stuff that gets in the way of replaying the game.

The big thing that does piss me off about it's use is when giant plot twists are obviously revealed during them and yet characters still act completely surprised when something that was pretty blatantly stated hours ago finally happens. If logs do reveal important information it would be nice if character knowing that actually changes the plot a bit (or even requires you to act on that a bit to change the course of things), even if it's something small like the way Halo ODST had a few slightly different lines of dialogue if you found all the logs.

I love audiologs, i hate text logs. Why not just put a voice over a text? Imagine an elder scrolls where you pick up a book and your character/somebody else read it for you (like in diablo 3). That'd be totally rad.

Another pointless AAA money-sink when most players who care will have read through the text before the voice even gets a quarter of the way through it.

Llyranor

Dear devs,

If you're keen on story exposition via text alone, it might be worthwhile to shape it in such a way that the audiovisual cues all help reinforce the exposition, rather than have the game play independently as the story is still unfolding, in order to avoid unnecessary distractions. Doing otherwise runs the risk of losing the player's focus on the story, which is fine if you don't consider your story important.

I really liked Lost Odyssey's 'audio logs'. They were the best parts of the game, and way better than the main story. They're probably the main reason I tolerated the game until the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv_yNn72aeQ

.GqueB.

Banned
That was one of the bigger issues with bioshock for me. I mean I loved the audio logs but when all is said and done, if I hadn't picked them up there would barely even be a story.

I liked how dead space handled it though.

I believe the whole idea of it is that it is an optional addition to the game for completist. If you don't like them then don't pick them up. They are relatively inexpensive to add so it is not a matter of audio logs or traditional cutscenes, it's a matter of audio logs or nothing at all.

Thrakier

I believe the whole idea of it is that it is an optional addition to the game for completist. If you don't like them then don't pick them up. They are relatively inexpensive to add so it is not a matter of audio logs or traditional cutscenes, it's a matter of audio logs or nothing at all.

Nothing at all would probably help the story more. And the "don't take it then" argument is shit. It's like implementing cheats or super powers in a very hard game and state "well don't use it". 90% of players will and it shapes the experience.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I love audiologs, i hate text logs. Why not just put a voice over a text? Imagine an elder scrolls where you pick up a book and your character/somebody else read it for you (like in diablo 3). That'd be totally rad.

Because most people arent illiterate. Text is underrated in games.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I have no problem with audio logs. What I really don't like is when they play in the background while I continue to play normally. I'd rather have them stop the game to play them.
Or even better, just drop the audio and put them in as text. There's too much talking in modern games anyway.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I like the idea of finding out pieces of story through items in the environment, but I hate that the most prevalent way of doing so is scattering tape recorders throughout the environment. Why does all of it have to be audio logs? Why can't there be audio logs in places where it makes sense (a laboratory, medical facility) and having other exposition given through things like notes, diaries, schedules, objects, maps, etc. I loved the way TLoU did this, with 3D modeled artifacts that all had unique handwriting and purpose. I want more diversity in my expositional collectathons!

I like the way you think.

Mupod

I like the idea of having something to listen to while exploring an area, and audio logs can be a good tool for world-building. What I don't like is when you get jumped by an enemy 30 seconds into a log, and if you want to hear the end you need to listen to the whole damn thing again. So most of the time I end up just having to stand still or in a pause menu.

I hate these thing so much. I want to get sucked into the game story, but these things won't let you. Every few steps a stupid voice talks and bring you out of the experience. You start to fight some guys, but the voice is still talking. Nah, this can't work.

In the right context I like audio and text logs as they do a far better job of matching player agency and freedom to explore than intermittent cutscenes. They draw from investigative piece-by-piece methods of narrative wherein you learn chunks of a large story through perspectives and dialogue written/recorded usually in first person and relevant to the scene or sequence, like listening to a doctor's audio diaries about a patient or reading various scientific reports for some crazy experiment in the middle of a run down laboratory.

Exploring a dilapidated location with an aura of mystery and freely discovering fragments of information, through reading and listening, adds to the atmosphere of a place drenched in mystery and secrets to uncover. It's a particularly effective method of story telling in a horror game wherein there should be nobody around to spell out the story for you. Show-don't-tell story telling is more important, but can be combined with fragmented audio/text narrative to add to the scene. Especially since, as said, it can often be contextually relevant to the location.

So yeah, consider me firmly on the opposite end of the spectrum. I like story telling in video games that encourages detective work and agency, through discovery and thought processing of the information collected so far. I like to be given some control over my consumption of that information, such as reading or listening. I prefer this method, and feel more absorbed and entangled in the game world, perhaps even moreso than normal, when it's used effectively. And in many cases more expensive and laborious methods of story telling, like scripted sequences and uninterrupted cutscenes, which have characters spelling things out and moving/behaving without my control, disrupts my immersion and disconnects me from the game world.

EDIT: To expand on this, and maybe better clarify what I mean, I feel in the right context audio and text log discovery is appropriate to behaviour that I was exhibit if I were in the scenario the game provides. If I'm exploring a run down location devoid of people wherein some tragic and/or mysterious event occurred, you bet I'm going to look over papers scattered around, and if I found a recording then listen to it. I'd naturally want to know more about my surroundings. Therefore if a game positions me in this scenario, this is exactly the kind of thing I want to do.

I agree, the Metroid Prime games are the perfect example of doing them right. They are text and completely optional. Like anything good, though, there will be dozens of attempts that fail. Audio logs that autoplay are the worst.

Chronoja

Im in Love with Deus Ex, but i skip 99% of the emails.

Games should be more like the original DOOM

Coincidentally Doom 3 had one of my favorite implementations of the audio / text log stuff by way of the PDA's. Maybe because the game wasn't as hectic regarding combat as newer games like Bioshock Infinite giving you a satisfactory distraction from the dark corridors etc, or maybe because they felt like a genuine part of the world as opposed to the relatively shoehorned desire to fit them in as a backstory vector I don't know. They were interesting, even when they were just some guy moaning about his event-less day at work, and you were often rewarded for paying attention to the info contained within them in the form of cabinet codes or what not.

Bioshock Infinite is by far the worst. *listening to what probably is interesting backsto-" HEY BOOKER!, there's a lockpick over there......

Number_6

Im in Love with Deus Ex, but i skip 99% of the emails.

Games should be more like the original DOOM

FOOL! Seriously though, some Deus Ex emails are pure gold.

GHermann (GHermann//UNATCO.15431.76513) wrote:

>Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for my head.
>Yesterday in Batery Park, some scum we all know
>pushes smack for NSF gets jumpy and draws. I take
>2 .22's, 1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor I can get out
>that dam asalt gun.
>
>If I could kil just by thought, it would be beter.
>Is it my job to be a human target-practis backstop?
>
>Gunther Hermann

Metal-Geo

Audios logs and 'text files' are an ideal way to expand a story, in my opinion. It's an optional way for people to read/discover more about the world they're traversing through without the story punching you in the face constantly. It also makes the game more inviting for a replay. Both due to the fact you can scavenge for information you might have missed. But also so you can just rush through the second time, if you like.

Another way I really enjoy is Portal's way. By putting signs and computer screens with information behind windows, or something alike. Like the Powerpoint presentations at Aperture showing their financial situation compared to Black Mesa. It gives a somewhat rewarding feeling to the player for exploring the map when they discover new tidbits of information.

(Yes I know Portal didn't invent this, but it's the most memorable one for me at the moment)

Good use of Journal Entries/Audio Logs etc = Open world game dedicated to exploration so when player stumbles upon some area, it is given some context. Not all the context to dispel all mystery, just some. Or a plot driven game where the logs build on the world you're in and have nothing to do with the main plot.

Bad use of Journal Entries/Audio Logs = Plot driven game where the logs are integral to understanding the main plots story.

Setsuna

i was anoyed by this with assassins creed 4 with the animus

you hunt around looking for access points get put through a mini game and your reward is an audio file that you can only listen to in a menu

Thrakier

Audios logs and 'text files' are an ideal way to expand a story, in my opinion. It's an optional way for people to read/discover more about the world they're traversing through without the story punching you in the face constantly. It also makes the game more inviting for a replay. Both due to the fact you can scavenge for information you might have missed. But also so you can just rush through the second time, if you like.

Another way I really enjoy is Portal's way. By putting signs and computer screens with information behind windows, or something alike. Like the Powerpoint presentations at Aperture showing their financial situation compared to Black Mesa. It gives a somewhat rewarding feeling to the player for exploring the map when they discover new tidbits of information.

(Yes I know Portal didn't invent this, but it's the most memorable one for me at the moment)

But those are examples for immersive storytelling, just like the Deus Ex Mails. It does feel like it belongs here, it does not interrupt the game flow (with bioshock like audio logs, I'm half playing, half listening). The way Infinite and other Bioshocks do it, it's like the developer is talking to you. "I put this for you here, plz consum".

kazebyaka

Banned
Another pointless AAA money-sink when most players who care will have read through the text before the voice even gets a quarter of the way through it.
Sorry, but i'm playing games to play them, not to sit and read hours of text, thank you. I can read a book for that. Anything that stops me dead in tracks and stand between me and gameplay is bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
With Bioshock 1, they made sense as an extension of System Shock 2 and a continued reaction against the cutscene. But 5-6 years later, relying on the same device without any real changes (the fact that Booker or Elizabeth don't react to the logs, for example) is just a bit asinine.

Anung

Un Rama
It depends really. Sometimes I think that it'd be better if audio/text logs would be better if tied to the narrative in a more meaningful way. Two examples being Bioshock Infinite, in which you could essentially miss huge parts of the story if you didn't go out your way to find them. The other being Resistance 3 which had some of the best most atmospheric writing but ultimately you would have to hunt for it or miss it entirely.

On the flip side, games like Last of Us do it quite well. And surprisingly Killzone Shadow Fall had great Audio Logs. I think it wad due to the controller speaker making them so much more immersive and the lore being quite interesting.

Depends on the game/story.

Hate info dumping in BioShock Infinite, but love it in The Last of Us, personally. Helps that not everything was someone's diary. News articles, pamphlets on Cordyceps and various stages of infection, suicide notes, loot inventory, children's drawings. They naturally belong in the world wherever they're placed, keep the info dumping from going stale by varying the degree of conciseness, and don't take 2 minutes to get to the fucking point unlike audio logs, letting you get back to the game in 10 seconds or less if you're a quick reader.

Er, anyways, agreed. Audio diary dumping needs to stop.

With Bioshock 1, they made sense as an extension of System Shock 2 and a continued reaction against the cutscene. But 5-6 years later, relying on the same device without any real changes (the fact that Booker or Elizabeth don't react to the logs, for example) is just a bit asinine.

*Insert more TLoU praise for Joel and Ellie commenting on articles here*

I disagree, I've often wondered how a story would unfold if it were up to the player to discover the villains plans through notes, audio logs and vague drawings from minions instead of having the villain justify himself with a poor excuse through a clichéd monologue.

Atomski

I really enjoyed finding books and such in Elder Scrolls games.

But really story blows in games anyways.. I feel like this is the last thing you should be complaining about. Atleast most the games that use it arent cutting all the action up with cutscenes.

Best use of this was the dreams in Lost Odyssey. You didn't need them at all for the main story, but it was incredibly rewarding to find them.

Derrick01

Banned
The worst kind are the ones where you go out of your way to hack/unlock it only to find some message between friends like "hey I got tickets to the opera want to go?" "Sure"

...and that's it. Fuck you if you put that pointless garbage in your game and make me work to see it. I'm not a fan of being trolled.

Mr_Zombie

So you're saying you would rather be forced to watch cutscenes.

No, he's saying that there are better ways to tell the story than simply dumping it on you through constant audiologs that are scattered everywhere. You can tell story through environment, characters interactions, various notes and yes, audio logs, but only if their inclusion makes sense and isn't overused. You don't see people recording everything they do on tapes and leaving said tapes in random places. And it seems that in Bioshock [Infinite] everyone and their mother is born with a tape recorder in their hand.

Also, the implementation of audiologs in Bioshock Infinite is simply bad. If you're putting an audiolog somewhere, then you should make sure that the player will have enough time to listen to the audiolog without the need to stand in place. Instead you are constantly interrupted by battles or Elizabeth talking to you.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I disagree as I like audio and text log files as it allows the game to focus on the gameplay and let the story sink into the background and get the game tell the story in it own way or add background into the story.

Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy and Batman Arkham Asylum did a great job in those department.

Metroid Prime showed that log files, in many ways, are a superior method of storytelling when used properly. Rather than passive cutscenes where control is taken from you and immersion is broken, log files turn story into a gameplay element, like a detective collecting clues. Like anything, they suck if they are poorly implemented, as OP alluded.

I'm interested in seeing what developers do with the speaker on the DS4. Resogun was pretty damn cool with "Save all the humans".

Perhaps put all the audiolog on the speaker and let you play as you normally do.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm interested in seeing what developers do with the speaker on the DS4. Resogun was pretty damn cool with "Save all the humans".

Perhaps put all the audiolog on the speaker and let you play as you normally do.

Killzone SF does exactly this and it is admittedly pretty cool, although picking one up in the middle of a fire fight makes it impossible to hear what's being said. I have to go to the collectible menu and listen to it manually.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I disagree. I find text logs (especially: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731395&highlight=)and audio logs add quite a bit to a game when its mired in some sort of gameplay, lie FPS gameplay, which minimizes the number of interactions with the world you have available to you.

Play Heavy Rain, man. Play Beyond. The story will be told in action, because of choices you make.

Because face it, the main story action of any Bioshock (or FPS) is "one guy shoots hundred of people to get past all these damned locked doors."

Bravely Default has this notebook with tons of diary entries and background information that I regard as absolutely essential to appreciating the story and world. It's a shame that most will judge it based only on what happens during cutscenes.

Killzone SF does exactly this and it is admittedly pretty cool, although picking one up in the middle of a fire fight makes it impossible to hear what's being said. I have to go to the collectible menu and listen to it manually.

Sweet. I would like to see Metal Gear do this as well with the codec calls.

Goldmund

It made perfect sense in BioShock Infinite. The game is a parody of satirizing ideas, notions and relationships one doesn't understand, a parody of video game design tropes from the late 90's big budget titles seem unable to shake off. I mean, come on, it's exploring its themes on a level a theme park would (so that it never exceeds the grasp and understanding of a child) in a fucking theme park. How funny is that?! Not one character (or caricature) goes beyond what an animatronic could do. Nothing in the game is integrated in a way that could make you doubt it's anything but flimsily excused by the setting, the story and how it is told. The game is all about having the poise of nobility while wearing threadbare clothes in a rundown shack. They want you to feel vicarious embarrassment for the entire medium every step you take, or rather: as you're on a rollercoaster ride into that feeling's innards, stuck on rails (which again is beautifully and self-deprecatingly symbolized by the sky-lines).

Yeah, looking at you Bioshock and Dead Space. Really, it's like laziest, dumbest and most immersion breaking way of storytelling I can think of. Don't get me wrong, it's fine to use these methods per se (f.e. that amazing diary in RE1) but not spamming the player with (audio) logfiles all the fucking time telling your whole story through it. Also, it makes no fucking sense that there are audio recordings EVERYWHERE. It's a fucking joke that the review industry is praising Infinite for it's great story(telling) when in reality it's poor and lazy as fuck and you understand only half of it because a) you just can't stand listening to logfiles anymore and b) you always hear half of the message because the other half it's gunfire or another character speaking.

Please, dear devs, at least TRY.

Couldn't agree more. It's biggest issue is breaking both gameplay flow and immersion - instead of moving into the next area the perfectionist in me has to hunt around looking for any audio/text stuff lying around. It's at its worse when an NPC says we must hurry to catch x/y/z yet the game wants you to fart around looking for stuff.

Sneds

It made perfect sense in BioShock Infinite. The game is a parody of satirizing ideas, notions and relationships one doesn't understand, a parody of video game design tropes from the late 90's big budget titles seem unable to shake off. I mean, come on, it's exploring its themes on a level a theme park would (so that it never exceeds the grasp and understanding of a child) in a fucking theme park. How funny is that?! Not one character (or caricature) goes beyond what an animatronic could do. Nothing in the game is integrated in a way that could make you doubt it's anything but flimsily excused by the setting, the story and how it is told. The game is all about having the poise of nobility while wearing threadbare clothes in a rundown shack. They want you to feel vicarious embarrassment for the entire medium every step you take, or rather: as you're on a rollercoaster ride into that feeling's innards, stuck on rails (which again is beautifully and self-deprecatingly symbolized by the sky-lines).

I don't think so. The game takes itself seriously. That's clear from interviews with Ken Levine. It wasn't intended to be satire or parody.

It's not necessarily bad, it needs a BREAK before it becomes horribly dated as "gen 7" and not used again in any level of creativity for another 7 years.

Top Bottom