• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

qq more

If Nintendo were C&Ding fangames, fangaming would've been long dead. There's a huge site dedicated to Mario fangaming itself and it was never once threatened with a C&D.

Caladrius

I hate hate jumping through hoops to get things working and don't want to bother modding my Wii (I don't even hook up controllers to my PC), otherwise I'd definitely give it a try.

They have a version that doesn't require any significant preparation (and is the only one that works on the WiiU.) Basically you just format the 2GB SD card you're going to use to FAT32 (IIRC), slap the files in there and delete the custom stages from your Brawl save. After that you stick the card in, fire up the game and go to stage builder. I got it set up within 10 minutes.

I hate hate jumping through hoops to get things working and don't want to bother modding my Wii (I don't even hook up controllers to my PC), otherwise I'd definitely give it a try.
Jump through hoops? Once you get it on the SD card, all you have to do is start up the level editor in Brawl. It's super easy. No Wii modding required.

If anything, it's worth it for the new characters and moves. Bowser and Wario are super fun now!

Berordn

They have a version that doesn't require any significant preparation (and is the only one that works on the WiiU.) Basically you just format the 2GB SD card you're going to use to FAT32 (IIRC), slap the files in there and delete the custom stages from your Brawl save. After that you stick the card in, fire up the game and go to stage builder. I got it set up within 10 minutes.

Now that HBC works in VWii mode the other methods do too, as far as I'm aware. Though you probably won't want to be modding that Wii U anytime soon anyway.

In any case the hackless version you mentioned is the safest since it does no permanent changes to the Wii / Wii U and it's the one they recommend anyway.

Caladrius

Now that HBC works in VWii mode the other methods do too, as far as I'm aware. Though you probably won't want to be modding that Wii U anytime soon anyway.

In any case the hackless version you mentioned is the safest since it does no permanent changes to the Wii / Wii U and it's the one they recommend anyway.

My bad. I haven't really kept up with the homebrew scene. After spending 6 days flailing around with my Wii (I was trying to figure out how to get the gamecube Action Replay to work, which was much more of a headache than I anticipated,) I realized I probably shouldn't mess around any further with things I don't actually understand.

Berordn

My bad. I haven't really kept up with the homebrew scene. After spending 6 days flailing around with my Wii (I was trying to figure out how to get the gamecube Action Replay to work, which was much more of a headache than I anticipated,) I realized I probably shouldn't mess around any further with things I don't actually understand.

To be fair there hasn't been a hell of a lot worth following once Nintendo pulled their heads out their collective ass with regards to security and patching starting with the DSi.

Fiktion

Banned

That is very intriguing actually. When I have the time I will investigate this.

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
Wasn't the problem with Project M that while it started with the intention to bring Melee physics to Brawl they just went overboard and did their own thing?
Maybe you're thinking of Brawl+? I mean, Project M certainly has it's own unique things about it, but it's fairly faithful to Melee.

Drago

If Nintendo were C&Ding fangames, fangaming would've been long dead. There's a huge site dedicated to Mario fangaming itself and it was never once threatened with a C&D.

Yeah, Nintendo only C&Ds a fangame if the creator(s) are making a profit off of it

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wasn't the problem with Project M that while it started with the intention to bring Melee physics to Brawl they just went overboard and did their own thing?

Yep.

Hell I pretty much only settle for fixing Brawl physics and maybe tweaking some characters, but not turning it into a fanwank.

Drago

madoka sucks :)

image.php

If you consider the characters being a ton more fun to play and having a game that is so well balanced that you can see literally any character win tournaments a bad thing, I suppose.

The worst thing about PM if that it will be difficult to go into Smash 4 and play characters like Wario or Sonic with Brawl-based movesets when PM made them so much better stylistically.

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
Yep.

Hell I pretty much only settle for fixing Brawl physics and maybe tweaking some characters, but not turning it into a fanwank.

o_O I would hardly call it a fanwank. They added new mechanics and changed some character moves but I would say they are certainly in the spirit of Melee.

Village

Ya'll Trippin.

Tsunayoshi is the anime rep.

Annouce the return of the Hitman Reborn manga. After the person who canceled it got smacked up for doing it when it was super good.

Caladrius

Ya'll Trippin.

Tsunayoshi is the anime rep.

Annouce the return of the Hitman Reborn manga. After the person who canceled it got smacked up for doing it when it was super good.

Sourrrrcessssss.

I was wondering why the conclusion felt so damned pointless.

Village

Sourrrrcessssss.

I was wondering why the conclusion felt so damned pointless.

My imagination
I don't think jump would forever cancel a series that was doing well, and they let that other dude not work on hunter x hunter for so damn long . And don't get me started on D Gray Man. Also its his inclusion in the Jump new game, while that leap in logic is a bit of a stretch, it is a bit odd.

Wait what? It was actually canceled which is why it had to end?

There was never really an explination.

But yeah it got stopped, canceled , or maybe post ponned.

There wan't a nana situation where the creator got sick, or a one manga about that kid in jail where the creator got pregnant. It just.. stopped.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Here are more rumors that are more likely to be full of BS, but here it goes.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68237872

"I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I know some information about Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Super Smash Bros for 3DS. I'm not a prophet. I'm not a troll. And I will ignore everyone who calls me one. I'm just a real big fan of the series who has some insider info to share. Now that that's out of the way, I will tell you some tidbits.

King Dedede will be revealed on January 10. The day before Kirby Triple Deluxe is released in Japan.

Diddy Kong will be revealed on February 13th. The day of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze's release in Japan.

There is a DKCR3D stage in the 3DS version. This was seen in the 1st trailer. It's a scrolling stage that constantly scrolls to the right. However, sometimes goes in diagonal directions. It's a real interesting stage and so far, it's the only one in Smash history to act like it! The music is to die for as well. It even has a couple of tracks from the Donkey Kong Land games!

The Wii U will have a generic DKCR stage that takes no physical cues from Tropical Freeze. However, there is talk on getting music from that game. We already have music from all main DKC games that have been released so far on this stage though. We even have a couple of tracks from DK64 It is a standard stage with no stage hazards. Rambi makes a background cameo though. As do a couple of Tikis. Graphically, it's looks stunning. I'm sure it's gonna be a favorite.

Orange Grenades are a new explosive item. They bounce on the ground when thrown and explode after a certain amount of time! There is a Funky Kong AT as well. He's still in the debugging process though, so he may be changed up a bit.

Dr. Mario is in the game somehow. I won't give out specifics just yet, but it's a lot of fun! I really enjoy the decision.

The Lorr Starcutter is a stage on the Wii U version. It works kind of like Coneria. It's layout and functionality is much different but the basic concept is the same. The background is stunning though. You fly through several locations from Return to Dreamland. You even fly to Another Dimension! Lots of Kirby Air Ride and Kirby's Return to Dreamland music plays on it.

While I'm talking about music, the number of songs is significantly higher than Brawl's. However, most of the songs are direct ports of songs from games instead of new remixes. This is very noticeable when looking at Mario Galaxy and Dr. Wily's Castle. Don't worry though. There are a LOT of songs on Mario Galaxy and Dr. Wily's Castle.

Well, there ya have it. That should tide you over. And to answer future questions.

Yes. Yes, I do know more.

But I don't plan on sharing it. Not now at least. Hope you have fun anticipating this stuff! :D"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68248608

Pardon if the English I use is not the best.

Before I go on and discuss what I know, I am not Sakurai. I am not claiming to have worked on the game, though I have seen some production sketches and even heard about the game progress over dinner with a few of my friends who work on the game. If you do not wish to be spoiled or disappointed, I suggest to stop reading. Now here is what I know for sure.

New Items:

Barrel Cannon from Melee and Donkey Kong

Tiki's Tear, which increases damage given by 1.1X and damage taken .9X. From Fire Emblem Kakusei

Baby Yoshi that blocks projectiles, can wander off stage and can be KO'd. From New Super Mario Brothers U

New Stages Include

Lor Starcutter, which is a peaceful stage that can tilt due to Landia and Magalor Fighting over the Master Crown. This stage is on the Wii U.

Pokemon World Tournament, in which certain Pokemon like Garchomp and Tyranitar will battle. They become a stage hazard when Mega Evolution is in play though! This stage is on the 3DS.

A Chimera Factory stage from Mother 3, in which different chimeras roam, waiting for snack! This stage is on the 3DS

An 8 bit version of Ice Climber, in which players can destroy platforms and use enemies to KO opponents, This stage is on both Wii U and 3DS

Prison Island from Xenoblade, in which Metal Face appears in the background, and is fought in adventure mode. The music is to die for on this stage. This Stage is on the Wii U

No Melee Stage is returning unless you count Battlefield and Final Destination.

New Assist Trophies

Sallya, who uses Dark Magic to damage the opponent and heal her summoner. From Fire Emblem Kakusei

Tails, who can save a summoner from being knocked off only once, but can be KO'd himself.

Magnus from Kid Icarus, who uses his sword to do two strikes, but can be dodged easily.

Character Details

My Unit from Fire Emblem Kakusei is a newcomer. My Unit uses a unique stance change moveset, in order to diversify the Fire Emblem newcomers. There are costumes for both a male and female My Unit. The final smash involves Grima, though Grima is also an adventure mode boss.

Shulk, who uses the Monodo to strengthen his own attributes in battle, and is about as fast as link normally. He is the most recent character to be added into Smash Bros.

Ridley, who Sakurai added in order to please Western Fans. He is the largest character in the game, a bit taller than Bowser. He focuses on aerial combat, and has a hover much like Peach's, His final smash is Meta Ridley

The Pokemon Lineup is Mewtwo, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Pikachu, and Pokemon Trainer, who reprises his pokemon.

Discussion on Snakes return are vague. The possibility of replacing Solid Snake with Naked Snake is there...

There are no other Mario characters besides Rosalina added, though Dr Mario is a Mario Skin...

The only cut characters are Pichu, Young Link, and Roy. Snake is possible at this point, if only to be replaced by his father, who would be called Snake.

Keep in mind that this is all i know, and this is a throwaway account.

Fiktion

Banned
The first one is just regurgitated speculation. Anyone could guess Dedede and Diddy Kong.

Second one sounds a little more believable.

Neiteio

Are those rumors supposed to be from different people? They have overlapping ideas and expressions (I.E. "to die for," etc).

Richie

"The topic you selected is no longer available for viewing." in the first. Figures.
The second one's still up as of this writing, and I had to laugh at the guy's username, NotSakurai.
Don't believe either of them.
But the second -did- remind me of Melee's awesome Barrel Cannon, they need to put that item back.

The rumors do have good ideas though. I kinda like the idea of orange grenades from DK64, but with those the number of explosive items would be overwhelming. Also, can someone explain what the Lorr Starcutter is from? I don't remember a Kirby game having it =/

EDIT: Nvm, did the research. Never played Return to Dreamland, but that stage is a neat idea.

It's nice to want things. I wouldn't take these rumors too seriously. In fact, mostly everyone correctly guessed that Zelda was going to be shown near the Japanese release of the ALBW. It's not illogical to assume that Sakurai will reveal characters when their games get released in Japan.

PikaED

The rumors do have good ideas though. I kinda like the idea of orange grenades from DK64, but with those the number of explosive items would be overwhelming. Also, can someone explain what the Lorr Starcutter is from? I don't remember a Kirby game having it =/
I'm pretty sure that is Maglor's ship from Kirby's Return to Dreamland.
KRtDL_Lor_Starcutter.png

Edit:
Also, I wonder why the person who wrote the rumor (assuming this is fake) went with an item from DK64, instead of something from the newer games?
Also have the orange grenades ever shown up in another DK game? 'Cause I can't recall them have been used since.

Top Bottom