• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Dark Souls II go next-gen? From Software hasn’t thought about it – yet [EDGE]

Yeap. The game will still be a superior experience on pc because of mods. If FROM does their homework, it will support resolutions higher than 1080p, and better framerate to boot as well.

What mods? Give me 1080p, 60fps, thats all I will ever need: good performance.

TyrantII

FS isn't a large developer. They also own the IP.

I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't count on a PS4/XB1 edition. If so, its going to be a quick and dirty PC port.

Damian.

Banned
The PC version is all the next gen I will need for Dark Souls II. That is if they either give us good visual options or just make it as easy as Dark Souls was to mod for Durante to work his magic.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What mods? Give me 1080p, 60fps, thats all I will ever need: good performance.
Gaben Shield
295-1-1361482346.jpg

RedSwirl

It seems this is a result of the Japanese way of thinking in regards to platforms.

From Software made Dark Souls II specifically for seventh generation game consoles. They probably feel like simply dumping the same game on 8th gen consoles with just a resolution and framerate bump wouldn't be right, but they probably don't have the time or manpower to completely upgrade the assets. Maybe they feel like they'd have to build a new game from the ground up for 8th gen. They don't seem to like the idea of simply porting a game to every platform that can run it.

Mendoza

Nah, you'll just be weeping in a corner when you put in Persona 5 and the disk doesn't read or you get YLOD. I know I'm gonna be furious when my PS3 dies for good and I lose my PS+ library.

And this next console generation will be different how?

Sony stopped manufacturing PS2's in December of 2012. That's 13 years.

I'm sure Sony will keep the PS3 in circulation for that long, if not, longer.

Gxgear

Seems like the go-to move is release on current gen after you've sold as many copies as you can on last gen.

Orayn

go on.....

Miyazaki is working on something else right now. There's a lot of wishful thinking and speculation (Demon's Souls 2, a return to King's Field, etc.) but no real details. IIRC he actually said he wanted to work on something lighter than the Souls series, but whether that's an actual hint or just a random comment is anyone's guess.

i-Lo

Keep in mind the rumored title might not be DeS 2, but rather new IP in the same vein.

Made by FROM/Miyazaki and probably some guys from Sony Japan. Just like DeS.

The crucial piece of information that would cast a light on this mystery is the identity of the financier.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
They should get in while there's a lack of games. Get a port ready by mid Summer.

Violater

Miyazaki is working on something else right now. There's a lot of wishful thinking and speculation (Demon's Souls 2, a return to King's Field, etc.) but no real details. IIRC he actually said he wanted to work on something lighter than the Souls series, but whether that's an actual hint or just a random comment is anyone's guess.

I see..
In any case I think I will wait a while before jumping into DS2 in hopes of a next gen version with the inevitable dlc.

HYDE

Banned
Console gamers getting screwed again by Sony/MS for not putting in backwards compatibility

Who forced consumers to get rid of the consoles they already owned?
Sony is such a jerk for making me get rid of my PS3!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
How long did it take them to develop, and by extension announce, the PC version of the first game?

I fully expect a "YOU'RE ALREADY DEAD" edition announcement containing the inevitable (and hopefully sizable) DLC/expansion before the end of the year. I mean, Bamco gotta Bamco.

DAT CLICKBAIT.

They have all hands on deck for the current version. Sure it's not outside of the possibility for next-gen, but the amount of people who would buy just a better looking version months and months later has to be pretty slim.

Sullichin

It seems this is a result of the Japanese way of thinking in regards to platforms.

From Software made Dark Souls II specifically for seventh generation game consoles. They probably feel like simply dumping the same game on 8th gen consoles with just a resolution and framerate bump wouldn't be right, but they probably don't have the time or manpower to completely upgrade the assets. Maybe they feel like they'd have to build a new game from the ground up for 8th gen. They don't seem to like the idea of simply porting a game to every platform that can run it.

But this is exactly what they did with the PC version of Dark Souls.
I think they're just not a huge team, and developing on X360/PS3/PC all at once is enough on their plate for now.

RK9039

Sony. Yoshida has made some not so subtle remarks regarding what FROM is doing and the DeS IP.

He also made remarks where he took a crap all over Demon's Souls before it came out, lol. Wonder how Fromsoftware felt about that, maybe it doesn't bother them.

Orayn

He also made remarks where he took a crap all over Demon's Souls before it came out, lol. Wonder how Fromsoftware felt about that, maybe it doesn't bother them.

Demon's Souls was a true Cinderella story. There was a ton of negative buzz about it before release after disastrously bad showing at some convention where people were having a really hard time playing the game, and they wound up with a pretty mediocre review in Famitsu, yet the game sold really well both domestically and in imports of the Asian release. Even after SCEA said they wouldn't publish it, they teamed up with Atlus and found critical and financial success in NA.

Yoshida kinda apologized and recognized the missed opportunity, and he may have even been the one behind keeping the servers up after Atlus was about to shut them down.

Taking all of that into account, I'd say that Demon's Souls 2 or something like it is fairly plausible. Hard to say when they'll do it or the exact form it will take, but I do expect it to happen.

Violater

I am not teasing anything... I am making it quite clear that:

Team B is doing DaS2 so they don't have time to think about porting it
Team A doing another project for next gen (obviously)

Hey its more fun when we think you are alluding to the very thing we want :p

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Being realistic, this is the third game in the series, which is often where fatigue starts to kick in. Its also the first game not directed by the series creator, which could also be a negative.

Point is, although I dearly hope it maintains the high standards of its predecessors, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out to be the weakest of the three titles, which means it wouldn't be an ideal starting point for the franchise on the new consoles.

There is a very good argument to be made for FROM to try and put their best foot forward by going with their strongest team and building from the ground up on the new platforms.

Horns

It's not worth mentioning a next gen version until the current gen has been out for a while and they make their money back. Similar to what Rockstar will do with GTA V on PC.

But Sony owns demons. Seems weird to go back to single platform development

Looking at FROM's output, I don't think they care who owns the IP to the games they make, or whether they are single platform of multiplatform. I'm sure if Sony and FROM are working on something, it works out financially for both parties.

I am not teasing anything... I am making it quite clear that:

Team B is doing DaS2 so they don't have time to think about porting it
Team A doing another project for next gen (obviously)

Hmmm, so Miyazaki isn't the only guy missing from DS2? If DS2 is made by a different core group, then this situation is starting to sound like Naughty Dog last gen. First two UC games made by the same group, which then went on to make TLOU while the new guys made UC3.

RedSwirl

But this is exactly what they did with the PC version of Dark Souls.
I think they're just not a huge team, and developing on X360/PS3/PC all at once is enough on their plate for now.

The only did Dark Souls on PC after massive fan demand. In fact the only reason FROM even did an Xbox 360 version was because Namco asked them to. Dark Souls was first and foremost built as a PS3 game. It was even Namco's idea to release Dark Souls outside Japan in the first place.

BPoole

Who forced consumers to get rid of the consoles they already owned?
Sony is such a jerk for making me get rid of my PS3!
Examples: My buddy traded in his PS3 at Gamestop towards a PS4 for $150. He can no longer play Dark Souls 2 unless he drops another $250 for a new console.

My PS3 is on it's death bed and is way out of warranty. Say my PS3 dies after buying Dark Souls 2, my only option would be to buy a new PS3 and have to replay all the parts of the game over since I don't have PS+ for cloud saves (previous Souls games had locked saves that you couldn't back up onto a USB)

I can't believe people actually defend the lack of backwards compatibility in next gen consoles.

While From says they don't plan to release any DLC, I wouldn't be surprised to see Xbone/PS4 versions of Dark Souls 2, with extras. Maybe an Artorias like expansion.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
well crap... now do I wait or do I not? I was gonna go PC this time but now that its likely delayed and my buddies are on PS3 im kinda torn...

Top Bottom