• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about a potential Dark Souls 1 remake?

Yay or nay?

• No, the original is already a timeless masterpiece, even with its minor blemishes.

• Yes, there are lots of ways to improve on the game.

• Yes, but only if From Software / Miyazaki themselves are doing it. No external studios!

• They should fix DS2 instead.

Results are only viewable after voting.

GrayChild

Yeah yeah, I know. Another remake amongst the sea of games that are not even that old, and yet they're getting rebuilt for current-gen.

Still... I don't think revisiting Dark Souls 1 right now would be a bad idea.

1. It's already well known that the second half of the game is really unfinished, especially Lost Isalith and Tomb of the Giants. All due to time and money constraints as DSI was made on a shoestring budget. Namco Bandai should just give From Soft as much resources as they need so they can nail it perfectly this time.

2. There's tons of planned content that was cut, some very later on, once again due to the same reasons.

3. Most importantly, the remastered version is the only way to play the game on modern platforms. However, it has been shown it's quite inferior to the original in certain aspects as evident from Crowbcat's video:

4. The only way to get the vanilla experience is to either play the original PS3/Xbox360 versions with their terrible performance, or resort to the just as terrible PC port.

5. The original, as amazing as it still is, already feels a bit dated compared to everything From Software did from Bloodborne onwards.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished the Remastered version on PS4 and Switch. I would like the sequel at this point. We got the Scholar of the first sin and that was it. I think it would look great. A lot of interesting locations and DLC to add graphical details to.

Lol said that wrong

dark souls 1 is still a great game tbh

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Do we know if the cut content wasn't repurposed in later From titles? If it is something that From wants to do, I wouldn't mind a remake. And while it certainly will not happen, I'd still like a proper remaster.

i either want a mostly 1:1 remake, absolute balls-to-the-wall graphics ps6 launch version, or...

a complete reimagining of ds1 that manages to stand on its own.

ps ds1 is my favorite ds.

Last edited:
Yeah yeah, I know. Another remake amongst the sea of games that are not even that old, and yet they're getting rebuilt for current-gen.

Still... I don't think revisiting Dark Souls 1 right now would be a bad idea.

1. It's already well known that the second half of the game is really unfinished, especially Lost Isalith and Tomb of the Giants. All due to time and money constraints as DSI was made on a shoestring budget. Namco Bandai should just give From Soft as much resources as they need so they can nail it perfectly this time.

2. There's tons of planned content that was cut, some very later on, once again due to the same reasons.

3. Most importantly, the remastered version is the only way to play the game on modern platforms. However, it has been shown it's quite inferior to the original in certain aspects as evident from Crowbcat's video:

4. The only way to get the vanilla experience is to either play the original PS3/Xbox360 versions with their terrible performance, or resort to the just as terrible PC port.

5. The original, as amazing as it still is, already feels a bit dated compared to everything From Software did from Bloodborne onwards.

If Bluepoint does the same thing as they did with Demon's Souls I will shit bricks.

Paltheos

Where is the "No, resources should be spent on bringing Bloodborne to PC" option?

(DS1's fine by the way, despite its blemishes. The esoteric design is part of the charm.)

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
WHY REMAKE A GAME RELEASED IN 2011 ???????

REMAKE KING'S FIELD, SHADOW TOWER OR ECHO NIGHT OF ALL THINGS

EP5AzxvWAAAece-

product_028_1.jpg

_-Echo-Night-Beyond-PS2-_.jpg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd be down if they could redo the final part of the game in Lost Izaleth with the Bed of Chaos. That part of the game sucked

mortal

Gold Member
I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I'm certainly not dying for a remake considering the market is flooded with Souls-like games now.

WHY REMAKE A GAME RELEASED IN 2011 ???????

REMAKE KING'S FIELD, SHADOW TOWER OR ECHO NIGHT OF ALL THINGS

EP5AzxvWAAAece-

product_028_1.jpg

_-Echo-Night-Beyond-PS2-_.jpg
Yea, would much prefer any of these to get the remake treatment.

Doom85

I'd be down if they could redo the final part of the game in Lost Izaleth with the Bed of Chaos. That part of the game sucked

Seriously. Game‘s intro hypes me up to face in this location a bunch of powerful witches at once, and instead I’m met with…..whatever that lame thing was.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

People call corporations greedy, but the reality is that most consumers have a room temperature IQ...

Asking for more remakes in 2023 when almost all game houses stopped investing into new IPs is a new level of retardation.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Dark Souls 1 is a timeless masterpiece.

I don't think it needs a remake. But if one is coming, it's better be by FromSoftware.

Not interested, thanks.

They've already released Dark Souls twice, the second time as a remaster for PC and PS4/Xbox One. The PC original was admitted a travesty of a port at the time but I don't see the need to remake the game again.

I loved the Demon's Souls remake on PS5, which is perhaps my favourite FromSoftware RPG to date, but then I never played the original janky game on PS3 so it was completely new, although still felt familiar having played Dark Souls 1-3 and other FromSoftware games over the years.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I voted DS2, and I'll tell you why.

DS2 is broken from the moment you touch the controller because they completely fucked the analogue sticks. That's every single moment of gameplay affected by completely unnecessary movement dead zones. I have no fucking idea what they were thinking with the right stick that jumps from one speed to max speed at about 50% push.

Then you have the animations and sound effects, which leave the game feeling worse than other Souls games.

DS2 is a game that has a ton of great content and ideas that I would love to experience from within DS3's set up which thankfully reversed/fixed the problems arbitrarily introduced in 2.

1 on the other hand has an unfinished Lost Izalith. Not much could or should be changed, so aside from a fresh coat of paint and maybe 360 rolling when locked on. It'd be a lot of wasted effort.

Dark Souls 1 is a timeless masterpiece.

I don't think it needs a remake. But if one is coming, it's better be by FromSoftware.

Erm... no... any remake would better be done by a more technically competent developer in my opinion.

This is why Demon's Souls is so good. If it had been made by FromSoftware then I personally do not think it would have been anywhere near as polished or enjoyable. That game looked great and more importantly ran great, even at 30 fps. FromSoftware never seem to optimise their games properly and that was certainly true of Elden Ring.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Erm... no... any remake would better be done by a more technically competent developer in my opinion.

This is why Demon's Souls is so good. If it had been made by FromSoftware then I personally do not think it would have been anywhere near as polished or enjoyable. That game looked great and more importantly ran great, even at 30 fps. FromSoftware never seem to optimise their games properly and that was certainly true of Elden Ring.
I think you enjoyed games (and especially FromSoft games) for different reason than me.

I don't really care about "performance and polishing etc...". Demon's Souls Remake looks great but the atmosphere of the original is still better for me.
When it comes to Dark Souls. Well many games came out since which are better optimized, better looking and everything you want. But none of them reach its greatness for me.
I understand that some want "next gen visuals", good framerate and all that jazz, but it's not what am looking in gaming.
I don't want a "super clean" version of Dark Souls. In some way, its "junkyness" made its charm for me. Especially on the visuals. There is this "grain" that makes look so awesome to me.

In addition the OP was talking about a remake with changes on the second part of the game which had a lot of cut contents. If some stuff are added to the game, I want FromSoft to do it.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Meh, just leave it alone. The original is still perfectly fine and fun to play. I feel like this this obsession with "fixing" things is killing any sort of identity games may have. Sometimes you just gotta accept that your favourite things may be a bit flawed but that's also what makes them special. They fixed Demon's Souls and made it sparkling and shiny, and look at it now - does anyone ever talk about that game or even gives a shit?

Also, there are easy fixes for the PC version that make it the best version to play, so it's not such a dramatic issue.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Played it in PS3, and loved it. Even with the bad framerate. Even before the patchs, so the lizard boss with the dogs was really hard to do. Got it again on PC for the DLC, as it was cheaper to play it on PC than it was to have it on PS3. Loved it again. Got it for the PS4, and loved it again. Now you are asking about a remaster?
YES I would love it!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I would prefer it if more games weren't sequels or remakes.

For me, there are fewer surprises and there's less excitement when you know what you're getting for the 8th time.

Last edited:
I would like the sequel at this point.
No.

New games, less remasters.
Na, work on something new.

Hell, remake Kings field.
People have to stop being so binary-brained about this.

1) There are separate dev teams now who excel at enhanced editions, remasters, and remakes, and they enjoy doing so.

2) This team would obviously not be From Software themselves.

Thinking 1 and 2 together means that From Software would be tied up making a remake, thus no new from software game is being made, is illogical.

The logical answer is that Namco would give the project to number 1 only, and then have From Software develop their own project at the same time.

Everyone wins this way.

Last edited:
I don’t see any need for it. The gameplay still holds up and it just had a remaster.

If From Software wanted to do it then I’d be up for it. As long as it’s not a cheap rip off remake like Demon’s Souls on PS5 lol.

DavidGzz

It would be cool but with some updates like much larger areas, a jump button, etc. Modernize it. Demon's Souls on PS5 was pretty but I didn't even finish it cause I already played it to death and it's stagnant on a console with no mod support.

Regginator

Only if a remake would fix the second half of the game. It goes without saying Dark Souls is a tremendous game and one of the most influential games of recent times, but it kinda falls apart after getting the Lordvessel.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Create new Souls games for me to devour instead of remaking timeless masterpieces.

BbMajor7th

The industry spends so much time looking backward these days, that we hardly move forward. I'll say the same about Dark Souls I say about Star Wars: I don't want another Dark Souls game, I want another game that did what Dark Souls did.

Last edited:

Togh

As long as they don't let Bluepoint ruin the art style and the OST of the game as they did with Demon's Souls, and as long they get to finally finish the game this time by implementing all the massive cut content from DaS1, then yes

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'd probably buy it. Tried playing through the remaster recently and it's fucking rough.

Second half of the game is pretty bad honestly, so cleaning that up would be nice.

Last edited:
I think you enjoyed games (and especially FromSoft games) for different reason than me.

I don't really care about "performance and polishing etc...". Demon's Souls Remake looks great but the atmosphere of the original is still better for me.
When it comes to Dark Souls. Well many games came out since which are better optimized, better looking and everything you want. But none of them reach its greatness for me.
I understand that some want "next gen visuals", good framerate and all that jazz, but it's not what am looking in gaming.
I don't want a "super clean" version of Dark Souls. In some way, its "junkyness" made its charm for me. Especially on the visuals. There is this "grain" that makes look so awesome to me.

In addition the OP was talking about a remake with changes on the second part of the game which had a lot of cut contents. If some stuff are added to the game, I want FromSoft to do it.

You know you can have a game that plays well and is technically competent. You don't have to choose one or the other.

Also, remakes of games can still be made by a different developer and cut content reinstated. I've said this numerous times before: FromSoftware can design great games but they just lack the technical competence, in my humble opinion, to do them full justice. They've been making console games for years now and they still haven't learnt how to do proper frame-pacing at 30 fps or a stable 60 fps on consoles. Personally, I think having a stable framerate is far more important than visuals but with Demon's Souls on PS5 we got the full package, something FromSoftware was not able to deliver on PS3 and almost certainly would not have been able to deliver on PS5 either if they had done the port. I think Elden Ring is proof of that.

The same is true of Respawn too whose recent Star Wars Jedi: Survivor game has been a technical mess, especially on PC. Great game but eurgh performance still after 5 months and 7 patches. I think some developers should just stick to designing games and let some other studio do the coding.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

It doesnt need it. But a graphical remake like Demons Souls ( not the change in art style before you complain ) would be amazing

DelireMan7

You know you can have a game that plays well and is technically competent. You don't have to choose one or the other.

Also, remakes of games can still be made by a different developer and cut content reinstated. I've said this numerous times before: FromSoftware can design great games but they just lack the technical competence, in my humble opinion, to do them full justice. They've been making console games for years now and they still haven't learnt how to do proper frame-pacing at 30 fps or a stable 60 fps on consoles. Personally, I think having a stable framerate is far more important than visuals but with Demon's Souls on PS5 we got the full package, something FromSoftware was not able to deliver on PS3 and almost certainly would not have been able to deliver on PS5 either if they had done the port. I think Elden Ring is proof of that.

The same is true of Respawn too whose recent Star Wars Jedi: Survivor game has been a technical mess, especially on PC. Great game but eurgh performance still after 5 months and 7 patches. I think some developers should just stick to designing games and let some other studio do the coding.
Again I don't know what to tell you. I really have the feeling we enjoyed different stuff in gaming.

Yes we can have nice looking game and "technically competent"... like all the FromSoft game so far for me.

You only speak about framerate, performance etc... in your post. And I never had any issue with FromSoft games or any other games that people complain about on this side.
I don't say they are perfectly optimized game, just that I don't have any issue playing them. I recently play many old games on original hardware (PS1, N64, Wii, PS2, PSP, PS3....) and I don't have any problem with their technical aspects.

So I just don't care at all about better performance. So to come back to the topic, if we speak about remake the most important for me is that it stays true to the original content while reimagining it (a prime example is Resident Evil 2 Remake). Better performance or visuals (anyway visuals on Dark Souls are fine as they are. I don't really want a visual change especially with the current trend of graphics which look too "shiny and clean" for me) are not my priority.

But of course this is my personal taste. So I just responded to the OP based on my personal preferences.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
One that’s more in line with From’s bullshit latest releases? No thanks. DS1 is the best in the series in so many ways, by a landslide. I can live with only replaying it up to O&S, skipping the rushed later parts, and I will still have more fun than with the unbelievable bs seen in DS3 and ER.

I think technology has gotten to the point where games from ten years ago don't really *need* to be remade in the same way as PS1 or some PS2 games. Ten years ago the PS4 and Xbox One were new, and games from that year still look and play fine.

If you absolutely HAVE to rerelease an older game to bump up the quarterly revenue, a graphical update like what Retro Studios did to Metroid Prime is the best way to go.

Gojiira

Why would you want to remake the worst ebtry of the series and trully an abomination in a stellar series?
You literally just answered your own question, and I explained why in my post. To unify the lore,map and actually bring it in line with Dark Souls 1 and 3.
It needs a remake, a overhaul of its structure and its story.

Top Bottom