• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Xbox One GPU reserve getting smaller soon, down from 10% to 2%

artist

Banned
UPDATE:

iw saksed for thi.s in Jun

The rumors are unsubstantiated at this point, but do come from a source that has been reliable in the past. Pete Dodd, who did reveal launch titles on the Xbox One would see lower resolutions than their PS4 counterparts, revealed the rumor via Twitter.

“10% reserved gpu getting 2% soon,” claimed Dodd. This extra 10% of processing power is currently reserved for video and voice. Dodd says that the Xbox One is currently on an 80-20 split between reserved video and voice for the system. He claims “GPU for that certain system had 10% reserved. 8% video. 2% voice. Voice will remain. That video 8% will be up to devs. As it should be.”

While this small tweak isn’t going allow the Xbox One to see a significant leap in power, it could help developers make more stable games when it comes to frame rate, and possibly give them more room to work with when trying to hit 1080p native.

Source: http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/xbox-360/xbox-powerful-2/

dodd1kbs05.png

dodd2tss7o.png

dodd3eqsfa.png

This whole 8%/2% doesn't make sense to me actually. Is he saying skeletal tracking and stuff like that takes 8% and voice commands take the other 2%? We need more details on this.

What?!?!? It took this long for this thread to be created. Ha.. nobody wanted to make it. I thought it was on page 2 or 3 when looking for it today.

Good stuff for us Xbox fans. I know it's not huge, but it's better than nothing.

Maybe it'll lock Titanfall at 60fps. That's good enough for me.

Lock it at 60? I didn't notice any dips while rocking the hell out of that Alpha. Not saying it didn't.. just I didn't notice it. Played Ghost last night... Game felt slow compared to TF.

Chettlar

Banned
Somebody please put this into layman terms.

EDIT: I'm guessing this means devs get more GPU percentage to work with? So better graphics (than there were originally), even if still not as good as PS4?

How big would the difference be now, theoretically?

Both console OS's right now are probably reserving a lot more then they currently need in the name of future proofing.

If true I think MS is tossing out its OS roadmap and the unused system reservation in favour of the power boost. They will just optimise what they got.

m23

What?!?!? It took this long for this thread to be created. Ha.. nobody wanted to make it. I thought it was on page 2 or 3 when looking for it today.

Good stuff for us Xbox fans. I know it's not huge, but it's better than nothing.

Yeah I saw this in the morning but I wasn't sure if I should have made the thread.

jester_

lol maybe they will patch Dead Rising 3 up to 1080p with a 20GB update?

Would be nice if this actually gives noticeable returns.

skynidas

Banned
damn, this is stupid, i'm so tired of this stupid shit, and yeah, I dont know why i'm even posting, but this rumours and shit are dumb as fuck. just let the games talk by themselves, what's the point of this?

Loofy

Was this just for skeletal tracking, or does this mean the xbox wont be able to do videocasting while you game too?

Hexa

EDIT: I'm guessing this means devs get more GPU percentage to work with? So better graphics (than there were originally), even if still not as good as PS4?

How big would the difference be now, theoretically?

In a game where the frame rate is limited solely by the GPU, it would result in a 3fps or so improvement in 30fps, and a 6fps or so improvement in 60fps games, etc. I believe.

I'm not sure if this is relatable, but it seems like the present Microsoft is basically undoing everything that was done before to the best of their ability. Maybe it was Mattrick?

javac

Errm the GPU had 10% whatchamacallits dedicated to video and audio features at all times. I'm guessing these are related to Kinect (video being tracking etc and audio meaning it's always listening to you).

That 10% was split 8% for video and 2% for audio. It was mandatory. Now that 8% that was reserved for video can be used on graphics etc instead.

artist

Banned
Microsoft had reserved 10% of the GPU resources for the OS. So it was 1.30*.9=1.17TFlops of GPU resources available to developers. If this reduction turns out true, then developers will have slightly more GPU grunt ~1.28TFlops.

It wont necessarily make a 720p game to 900/1080p or 30fps to 60fps but may help eek out more performance from the system, say they were able to get Titanfall running at 50-55fps may now get 55-60fps.

Elixist

that kinectless sku is coming. Also its quite clear MS had no clue wtf they were doing when designing this system.

stryke

Good stuff for us Xbox fans. I know it's not huge, but it's better than nothing..

Because threads based on twitter comments seem to be less tolerated by mods these days. If Peter wasn't comfortable enough to mention this on gaf, he probably doesn't have more than one source for this info.

Chobel

Good stuff for us Xbox fans. I know it's not huge, but it's better than nothing

Because here in neogaf you must have two sources to post something like this, and @atpetedodd is famousmortimer, a gaffer, so him not posting it by himself means he has only one source.

I doubt it. I can't imagine Snap requires 8% of the GPU.
True but he's saying the 2% reserve is for voice only. The video reserve (8%) is now available for use by devs, it's up to them. So if they choose to use it then this would affect multitasking would it not?

stktt

Banned
This has been alluded to by Microsoft before, and it makes sense. If you aren't using that video functionality, it might as well be allocated to the game itself.

How does this affect multitasking? The reserve was there for a reason.

Isn't 10% of the CPU reserved for the OS? I'm sure that should be enough to handle multitasking.

Top Bottom