• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two shoots down idea of developing any Wii U games

Following this idea that Take-Two's content goes where the consumer goes, Zelnick spoke about the company's relationship, or lack thereof, with Nintendo and the Wii U console.

Take-Two believes that Wii U just doesn't have the consumer base to warrant its attention right now. "Our strategy is to meet consumers where they are," Zelnick elaborated. "If they're buying hardware, we'll be there with software. That said, we make these really big, AAA titles that work on some platforms, but not others."
Via IGN

Metallix87

If it's all about consumer base, then what was Take-Two's reason for treating the Wii like an unwanted bastard child?

Eusis

Releasing stuff like Carnival Games.
Which actually makes this kind of surprising: you'd think they'd take the time to belt something like that out on the cheap "just in case" even if they wouldn't do anything like port GTAV to it.

Terrell

It kind of reads like "Wii U doesn't have the marketshare.... but even if it did, we wouldn't give the console any of the games you care about anyways, so I don't know why anyone bothered to ask."

I doubt it would really make a difference if they did. Their games would probably sell like shit and it wouldn't convince anyone to buy the Wii U that wasn't going to anyway.

Metallix87

I doubt it would really make a difference if they did. Their games would probably sell like shit and it wouldn't convince anyone to buy the Wii U that wasn't going to anyway.

At this point? Yes, I agree. Take-Two needed to be on-board on day one to make any real progress in getting Nintendo fans to buy their content.

jts

...hate me...
I don't get it. 3rd parties pretty much flocked away from the Wii U long time ago, it is known. Are we going to ask every individual 3rd party, even the ones who never had a remarkable relation with Nintendo consoles to begin with, so they can drop a sentence reflecting that for the Nth time and make that news?

Metallix87

I don't get it. 3rd parties pretty much flocked away from the Wii U long time ago, it is known. Are we going to ask every individual 3rd party, even the ones who never had a remarkable relation with Nintendo consoles to begin with, so they can drop a sentence reflecting that for the Nth time and make that news?

It's an easy way for them to get some media attention.

Eusis

Demographics can be a bitch.
I've argued about this, but admitted that even if a large potential Dark Souls audience is there, said large potential audience likely also not only IS an active Dark Souls audience but has another system to play the games on.

That's kind of the problem with the Wii U really, if it were a notable step above PS3/360, one that was easy to take advantage of anyway, many may well have flocked to getting multiplats there instead. As is most of the time you're either better off with PS3/360 versions, or there's a PC version and if you have a great PC it's pointless to bother with either of the three. Just as well, if Dark Souls II hit Wii U in addition to PS3/360/PC... I'd still get on PS3 instead, and PC with a Steam sale. Perhaps more than any other Nintendo system Wii U's best for exclusives.

Smart decision.

At the moment only indie games seem to do well on Wii U. And Nintendo's own games.

I suppose points for honesty as opposed to Electronic Arts baffling dance.
Eh very true.

It kind of reads like "Wii U doesn't have the marketshare.... but even if it did, we wouldn't give the console any of the games you care about anyways, so I don't know why anyone bothered to ask."
Maybe. If yes, then probably because there isn't a Nintendo audience that buys 3rd party games much like there is on Sony and MS consoles.

I wish people would just say "yeah, we don't want to work on a Nintendo console" instead of

"Oh, we aren't releasing games for Nintendo because the hardware is too weak."
"Oh, we aren't releasing games for Nintendo because then we'd have to compete with their first party games."
"Oh, we aren't releasing games for Nintendo because the install base isn't there."

Hiltz

The news isn't surprising in the least. Take-Two is one of those publishers that has always ignored supporting Nintendo home consoles when it comes to AAA support, and unfortunately for Nintendo, Wii U happens to be one of its least tempting platforms for third party publishers due to a variety of reasons we are well familiar with. It's almost tear-inducing to watch interviews where Reggie gets asked if franchises like Grand Theft Auto will be coming to Nintendo's next home console, when he already knows it isn't feasible

There aren't many upcoming third party games in 2014 I'd want to see come to Wii U besides Dark Souls 2 and Destiny. Unfortunately, those two will not be coming to it either. :(

RyuHei

Looking at it, the investment spent on building the games for the Wii U doesn't bring the returns worth investing on the Wii U. They're probably seeing it as pure operating loss. Not worth the risk at the moment so no plans.

Take-Two is one of those publishers that has always ignored supporting Nintendo home consoles when it comes to AAA support

They took a chance with the DS (best selling Nintendo hardware ever made) and gave it an exclusive (for the time) GTA in the vein of the first two games.

How did that work out for them?

I wish people would just say "yeah, we don't want to work on a Nintendo console" instead of

"Oh, we aren't releasing games for Nintendo because then we'd have to compete with their first party games."
"Oh, we aren't releasing games for Nintendo because the install base isn't there."

But the install base isn't there.

dreamfall

But the install base isn't there.

And that's the point entirely.

It's refreshing, instead of seeing a publisher be coy about it. It's also pretty sad- but after the success of Chinatown Wars on every other platform, I think they'd take their chances on other gaming devices.

Manhunt with motion controls! Never forget.

Why can't it be all of those things? It's business. Take 2 isn't avoiding Wii U out of some spite towards Nintendo. They are avoiding Wii U because it sells like garbage and would be a waste of resources.

Say you are a third party publisher of the type Take 2 is (one that specializes in M-rated AAA action games). You look at MS and Sony and see that they have spent their own resources creating games like God of War, Last of Us, Gears of War, Halo, ect..to show that they have cultivated an audience for those games. What has Nintendo done? Why would any third party believe there is an audience for anything other than platformers and party games on Nintendo's consoles?

And that's the point entirely.

It's refreshing, instead of seeing a Publisher be coy about it. It's also pretty sad- but after the success of Chinatown Wars on every other platform, I think they'd take their chances on other gaming devices.

Manhunt with motion controls! Never forget.

...what?

This is the real answer. Always was, even before Wii U came out.

This business excuse doesn't fool anyone who's not detracting Nintendo.

Scum

Take Two/Rockstar still has the rights to Body Harvest and Space Station Silicon Valley, right? Nintendo should just acquire those IPs instead.

Space Station Silicon Valley DLC for NintendoLand
Body Harvest Remake.

Take Two/Rockstar still has the rights to Body Harvest and Space Station Silicon Valley, right? Nintendo should just acquire those IPs instead.

Space Station Silicon Valley DLC for NintendoLand
Body Harvest Remake.

These games are the reason for why Nintendo and Take-Two/Rockstar have a grudgey relationship.

Top Bottom