• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS producer says PC DS1 was rushed;No Vita;Explodes w/ laughter when asked about WiiU

“This is going to sound bad but our main priority was to get the game onto the PC as fast as possible, because people wanted it on the PC,” Miyazoe says. “The PC market in Japan is so minimal that originally there were no plans to make it on the PC, but with the strong petition from the North American and European fans, even with the lack of experience of working on a PC platform we still did our best to try to get it out as fast as possible. [The problems] were expected to a certain extent.

“We did know there were PC-specific features like key-mapping and use of the mouse and keyboard, high resolution and higher frame rate, stuff like that, but… It’s not that we ignored it, but it would have taken too much time for us to implement it, test it and get it up to the level people expected. It was more of a publisher (Namco Bandai) decision to say, ‘Guys, don’t worry about this – let’s just get it out and see how this works on PC.’

“I think the game experience was fairly similar. We did recommend using a controller, and if [one] used a controller the experience was a Dark Souls experience I think. But we did learn from it. For Dark Souls II we are developing on PC from the beginning. We realise what PC games typically require, and I can assure you that the PC version of Dark Souls II will be a good PC experience for PC gamers.”

Asked whether From Software and Namco ever considered a Wii U port, Miyazoe bluntly replies: “No.” When asked why, he explodes with laughter. “Wii U never came up, and we never doubted that (decision) either,” he says. “It was more of a company decision, so I wasn’t the one that decided this, but I think the audience for the Wii U is a lot different from the audience for Dark Souls.”

Similarly, From have no plans for a Vita version (“It’s not a handheld game, because of the network functionality.”) or for extending the Dark Souls brand in the same free to play direction taken by Soul Calibur, Tekken and Ridge Racer. Again, the notion draws laughter from Miyazoe. “Yeah, right!” he snorts. “Not yet, and not for a while I think. It’s one of our bigger IPs right now, but it’s a new IP, so I think it’s too young to go free-to-play. And with Dark Souls I think it would be hard to monetise in that way. Pay per death? That would be terrible. From Software especially don’t want to allow players to pay for an advantage.

http://www.edge-online.com/features...pc-version-was-rushed-problems-were-expected/

Nibel

Dat Wii U reaction
KuGsj.gif

Takao

Banned
Similarly, From have no plans for a Vita version (“It’s not a handheld game, because of the network functionality.”)

other thread gonna cry

Zomba13

At least it sounds like he doesn't like the idea of DS going mobile at all so that's good. Shame about the Wii U reaction though. I love DS and I own a Wii U.

Soriku

Similarly, From have no plans for a Vita version (“It’s not a handheld game, because of the network functionality.”)

other thread gonna cry

Well that dashes the hopes of anyone wanting Souls games on Vita. Still though, why couldn't the network functionality work on Vita?

Meia

I still wonder every time they talk about DS 1 on the PC if they've acknowledged that the issues with it were fixed by one guy a few hours after the game came out.

Katsuragi

Isn't Monster Hunter Frontier G scheduled for Vita? If the handheld supports a MMO, shouldn't it be well suited enough for the network functionality of Dark Souls, too?

SmokyDave

I'd imagine that same laughter echoes around many a boardroom.

other thread gonna cry
I mean, it's fair enough, but does he not realise the Vita has network functionality?

Phantasy Star Online 2 seems to manage OK.

Eusis

I imagine the audience for Dark Souls IS on Wii U, especially given where Metroid and Zelda came from... the real question is "are they elsewhere too?" And the answer to that is almost certainly "yes": who here wants to get Dark Souls II and has a Wii U but DOESN'T have a PS3, 360, and/or capable PC?

Skyzard

Banned
Oh they're going the monetization route? Shame there won't be a nice handheld Vita version, network functionality though lol? F2P -- [nope]
May give the PC version of the sequel a go to see what the fuss is about.

They couldn't have expected fans to be pleased with how they started off Ridge Racer after years of not going that route. They have unrealistic expectations. F2P is for phone games and casual audience or massive games. Dark Souls doesn't seem casual and neither is Ridge Racer anymore. Maybe it's popular enough...? Dota 2 isn't casual I guess. But moba just attracts a huge audience...will be interesting if it works out for them.

Edit - Wii U is advertised as a cushy family-friendly device. When you advertise your console that way, you'll attract a crowd that "in large" expects games of that nature. Sure standing out helps sometimes, but with such a tiny userbase? Fair enough.

--ah they aren't going f2p lol, thank goodness

L~A

Isn't Monster Hunter Frontier G scheduled for Vita? If the handheld supports a MMO, shouldn't it be possible to work with the network functionality of Dark Souls, too?

That's just standard PR answer for "we don't give a sh*t about X platform".

I can just imagine someone with a serious face in an interview, and bursting out laughing out of nowhere when asked the question.

Kinda reminds me of this scene from Jingle All The Way
iZ3rfQZAhsZFs.png

Dascu

I imagine the audience for Dark Souls IS on Wii U, especially given where Metroid and Zelda came from... the real question is "are they elsewhere too?" And the answer to that is almost certainly "yes": who here wants to get Dark Souls II and has a Wii U but DOESN'T have a PS3, 360, and/or capable PC?

ZombiU and X may have some overlap in fanbase as well. But yeah, it's difficult to imagine those consumers not having a different and perhaps preferred platform to play it on.

Madness

I imagine the audience for Dark Souls IS on Wii U, especially given where Metroid and Zelda came from... the real question is "are they elsewhere too?" And the answer to that is almost certainly "yes": who here that wants to get Dark Souls II and has a Wii U DOESN'T have a PS3, 360, or capable PC?

Probably means the audience on Wii U is smaller than on other platforms and therefore not really justifiable for a release.

This is only going to get worse from Wii U as major third party support all by dries up within a year or two.

Eusis

Oh, as for the handheld thing: you probably could get a similar type of game on handhelds anyway, if they feel the network angle is that important then just make a new IP with similar, albeit offline gameplay.
Probably means the audience on Wii U is smaller than on other platforms and therefore not really justifiable for a release.

This is only going to get worse from Wii U as major third party support all by dries up within a year or two.
That too. Nintendo's definitely had issues about whether the audience is there or not, but in the case of straight multiplatform releases... well, most would just get the games elsewhere, especially if the Wii U can't even offer a graphical advantage.

spwolf

Oh they're going the monetization route? Shame there won't be a nice handheld Vita version, network functionality though lol? F2P
May give the PC version of the sequel a go to see what the fuss is about.

They couldn't have expected fans to be pleased with how they started off Ridge Racer after years of not going that route. They have unrealistic expectations. F2P is for phone games and casual audience or massive games. Dark Souls doesn't seem casual and neither is Ridge Racer anymore. Maybe it's popular enough...? Dota 2 isn't casual I guess. But moba just attracts a huge audience...will be interesting if it works out for them.

you seem to be reading things opposite

I can just imagine someone with a serious face in an interview, and bursting out laughing out of nowhere when asked the question.

iZ3rfQZAhsZFs.png

That was a great laughing scene. and a great movie, was just on the other day :D

Then why isn't there a Metroid or Zelda title on the system for these fans?

That laughter is pretty much expected from third-party Japanese companies. Excluding moneyhats, Wii U Japanese third-party support has been even worse than Western third-party support, and that's SAYING something.

Raonak

Banned
hahaha, can't help but slime.
I'm just imagining every laughing gif I know fitting perfectly with that wiiU question.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

iZ3rfQZAhsZFs.png

This scene was so funny, I need to watch this movie again for the 3rd time.

“It was more company decision, so I wasn't the one that decided this, but I think the audience for the Wii U is a lot different from the audience for Dark Souls.”

When will people accept that this is a real issue with "Nintendo". Audience matters.

EDarkness

That laughter is pretty much expected from third-party Japanese companies. Excluding moneyhats, Wii U Japanese third-party support has been even worse than Western third-party support, and that's SAYING something.

I don't know why everyone thought Japanese support was gonna be better than the West. They are a lot tighter and more rigid than the West. Heh, some of the stuff people tell me here in Japan is crazy. It was pretty clear the Wii U wasn't getting jack from the beginning.

Aeneas

Asked whether From Software and Namco ever considered a Wii U port, Miyazoe bluntly replies: “No.” When asked why, he explodes with laughter.

Ouch :D I wish this was a video interview. I have a feeling this quote would make a nice gif.

Top Bottom