• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS producer says PC DS1 was rushed;No Vita;Explodes w/ laughter when asked about WiiU

IvorB

Asked whether From Software and Namco ever considered a Wii U port, Miyazoe bluntly replies: “No.” When asked why, he explodes with laughter. “Wii U never came up, and we never doubted that (decision) either,”

Harsh.

I-hate-u

caged.gif

from software in general was never very close with nintendo and the one time they were (Tenchu 4,5,6 exclusive on wii) the project failed hard.

I'll prefer of wiiu than the pc.. But i'm forced to take the pc version now

Same for me. Unfortunately Steam has spoiled me with it´s sales. I´ll pick it up for 5 bucks which shouldn´t take long. Would have invested more on the U but he obviously doesn´t like the money from this audience. ^^

Well Nintendo kind of released a literal NES Remix less than two days ago...
Not on the WiiU.
But Rate's a poor example even given the time distance, most of their old properties are left discarded or in the hands of others if they're lucky and there was a clear decline going on, while Nintendo's been able to keep a good chunk of their older base while bringing new fans in with iterations of older work and even reselling those games. And even throwing out difficulty I elaborated on how Metroid and Zelda had the kind of design that Dark Souls has, and not simply in regards to difficulty.
You're talking about games not even on the system. Metroid isn't much more active than Rare's discarded franchises. The only Zelda game on the horizon is a dynasty warriors clone. What's the connection between the design of NES games and the current WIIU install base? The WiiU's library is mostly platformers and party games. Is there any action game on the WIIU that hasn't bombed? Dark Souls II on the WiiU would probably be another W101 type sales disaster.

Robin64

No late port, costing more than other platforms and with some features removed like third party devs usually do? My heart is broken.

BlazinAm

tonystarejeml.gif

- Iwata

Anyway Dark Souls 2 engine is terrible IMO so put that on WiiU and make Demon's Souls for PS4.
Any knowledge you want to share about the tech Dark Souls 2 is using. Wait the game isn't even out yet.
They said there isn't an audience for this on Wii U but that's not the case at all.

There isn't an audience for anything on the Wii U!

Cold.

In all the time I've been reading GAF, the only talk I've ever seen about a Souls game on Vita has always been with regard to wanting Sony to put a Demons Souls sequel on there. Don't think Dark Souls was ever an expectation by anybody really... from what I could see at least. So while not surprising DS2 won't be happening on handheld, I won't completely give up on a Souls game in some fashion happening on Vita at some point if it's okay with the rest of you :)

Childish reaction, this industry has no respect anymore, it's kind of gross...

actually its quite the opposite. a few years back Sony, MS or Nintendo execs would say respectless things to each other nowadays everyone seems to be respectful to each other which is not as funny as before but it definately is more professional.
Not on the WiiU.

You're talking about games not even on the system. Metroid isn't much more active than Rare's discarded franchises. The only Zelda game on the horizon is a dynasty warriors clone. What's the connection between the design of NES games and the current WIIU install base? The WiiU's library is mostly platformers and party games. Is there any action game on the WIIU that hasn't bombed? Dark Souls II on the WiiU would probably be another W101 type sales disaster.

yes but unlike w101 From or Namco Bandai would only have to cover the porting costs while in case of w101 the whole development process was a net loss for nintendo (they paid for it fully)

They could always put a Link skin on him and get auto sales, even though they wouldn't want to see Link get violently killed around a million times over.

FourMyle

lol I expect many other devs would have the same reaction if asked.

Reminds me of that clown with the Third Strike avatar who was posting some nonsense about how the Wii U was going to have better 3rd party JP support than the PS3 next year.

Guy was a complete delusional fanboy.

Odd he was upfront about his disdain for the Wii U but gave some bullshit answer like this for the Vita, if MMO's can manage with the Vita's "network functionaility" I'm sure DS could manage as well. Wonder is it they just couldnt be arsed/dont know how to do it.
Going by the state of their PC port of DS, this.

Reminds me of that Blizzard guy saying they weren't going support remote play for Diablo 3, and came up with some crap about aspect ratios. Or when a Capcom producer rational over no Vita port for RE:R is not a handheld game, conveniently forgetting it's already a HD port from the 3ds.

“It was more of a company decision, so I wasn’t the one that decided this, but I think the audience for the Wii U is a lot different from the audience for Dark Souls.”

I'm sorry but lol. I think Nintendo's audience would be very receptive to Souls, many old school gamers play Nintendo. Nintendo's philosophy for game design is probably the closest they can get to Souls. Nintendo has an "all gameplay, no cinematic or scripted bullshit approach" to games, which is the same as the Souls series. I hope they let series creator Miyazaki work on the next Souls game again. He would have never said something like this or that Souls needs to be more accessible.

Enkidu

Isn't it just awkward for some games regardless of developer effort? Are people going to be playing MGR:R with a keyboard?
For some games, sure, but Dark Souls is a third person action game with free camera control, there is no reason for it to have such bad keyboard and mouse controls. As for Metal Gear Rising, I haven't played the game so I don't really know if it could control well without a gamepad. When the PC version comes out I will try and see though, it would be great if I didn't have to bother with a gamepad for it.

Vaiim

I'd actually buy the WiiU version, and I'm a hardcore PC player who's addicted to sexy graphics, customizable controls and mouse aiming. But I could just see the menus being pretty sweet with a touchscreen, and maybe some gimmicks like gyro bow aiming! Plus having all your UI on the gamepad screen would really add to the immersion in a minimalistic world like Dark Souls...

Shame really.

Eusis

Not on the WiiU.
... Uhh, yes? Just go look at the topic index and check the NES Remix OT, it's a Wii U release.
You're talking about games not even on the system. Metroid isn't much more active than Rare's discarded franchises. The only Zelda game on the horizon is a dynasty warriors clone. The WiiU's library is mostly platformers and party games. What's the connection between the design of NES games and the current WIIU install base?
You're dense if you don't think a proper Zelda game will hit Wii U (never mind a Wind Waker port hit) and that people haven't gotten a Wii U partially because of that expectation. Granted we have no idea when or even IF we'll see a new Metroid game, but my bigger point is that earlier Metroid and Zelda games had a more explorative, semi-non linear design that Dark Souls follows the spirit of, and that even if they're more hand holding Nintendo still has released games in a similar mold and likely kept a good chunk of that base... And actually ALBW comes closer to being that type of game again which may well be indicative of where the Wii U Zelda will go.

And really, Nintendo's been releasing quality games reliably. Rate's given absolutely no reason to stick around, while Nintendo's still been putting out good games and given enough to justify fans of older stuff to stick around.

Similarly, From have no plans for a Vita version (“It’s not a handheld game, because of the network functionality.”)

That's odd. Pokemon is a handheld game because of the network functionality. Where's your God now, Nintendo? RELEASE POKEMON ON WIIU

kek_lel

I imagine the audience for Dark Souls IS on Wii U, especially given where Metroid and Zelda came from... the real question is "are they elsewhere too?" And the answer to that is almost certainly "yes": who here wants to get Dark Souls II and has a Wii U but DOESN'T have a PS3, 360, and/or capable PC?

Me

For quite a while with the PC version "aint nobody going to be invading you" was the norm ;) I think people over-estimate the importance of the PvP stuff, which in previous games anyhow was basically opional (in that you could or were forced to play offline and could experience the majority of the game). Again it just seems odd that it works for persistently online stuff like MMO's but mysteriously not for DS.

Except invasions happen in undead form this time around. In Dark Souls you could get by as undead and never be invaded. We don't have that luxury anymore.

Zachi

Banned
Why is it the joke? because it doesn't play "mature" games as much as the other two???Talk about preconceived values of what a games console should or not be....

I don't know why it is exactly (maybe combination of all things, poor sales, 'kiddie' perceptions, weak hardware).... but it is.....when developers are laughing just the mention of the console

gogogow

He's very ignorant though. Just the typical "Lol Nintendo is for teh kiddies" response.
As far as consoles go, I have a PS3, 360 and a Wii U. I don't touch the 360 anymore, so if I don't go for the PC version, I would've gotten the Wii U version for Off-TV Play, Gamepad specific features and for (maybe) better graphics/performance.

Top Bottom