• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy says it's happy with how Alan Wake is running on consoles

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
First game I'll try my dual sense in my pc. Do you just plug it in and it works?

Games that have Native support will automatically detect the DualSense and change everything to match.
Haptics/Audio/Adaptive Triggers will all work.

From this tweet we can safely assume this game has Native DualSense support.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If the developer’s Tweeting that it’s going to be good, then there’s nothing to worry about.

Donald Trump GIF by NowThis

MikeM

Yeah, sure, I believe this. Also, on OLEDs, 30 FPS just sucks.
Yes.
No.
It’s only an issue if you make it one.

I’m playing spiderman 2 in fidelity mode right this second on an OLED and it’s glorious. Absolutely nothing distracting about it. No judder/stutter. Nothing.

Same goes for every game.

This myth is just that, a match. Fidelity modes on OLEDS look and play amazing
“It does not affect me, so it does not exist.”

I can fully attest to the fact that 30fps on OLED looks terrible in any camera panning movement. 60fps minimum or bust on OLED. I don’t buy 30/40fps games anymore because I don’t like to torture my eyeballs.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yes.

No.

I can fully attest to the fact that 30fps on OLED looks terrible in any camera panning movement. 60fps minimum or bust on OLED. I don’t buy 30/40fps games anymore because I don’t like to torture my eyeballs.
Enjoy playing like 4 games for the rest of the gen then. 30fps is going nowhere. Because its the best balance of both worlds. 60fps looks like garbage on console, no matter the display.

King Dazzar

Let's hope they added HDR this time... control and AW remaster sorely missed it.
Thats exactly what I was wondering earlier. Would be a shame to have great core visuals then not do any HDR to truly have it shine. No HDR is a show stopper generally for me these days.

Represent.

Ah, now I see why you won your tag!
Laugh Reaction GIF by GIPHY News
Show me one 60fps game that looks better than its 30fps counterpart on console and I will grant you gold

Show me one game that has both fidelity and perfomance mode, that has performance mode set as the default mode.

Show me one game that captures marketing material footage in the performance mode.

Show me any sane person that thinks this is "juddery".
pwzB4Ik.gif

You guys are nuts.

MikeM

Enjoy playing like 4 games for the rest of the gen then. 30fps is going nowhere. Because its the best balance of both worlds. 60fps looks like garbage on console, no matter the display.
Saying there are only four games on console with 60fps or higher modes further proves just how uninformed you are.
I also generally game on PC attached to my OLED, so i’m even further insured against the old plague that is 30fps.
30fps will eventually die. AMD’s frame insertion tech calls for 60fps minimum. Any dev looking to use that properly will need to up their base framerates. Writing is on the wall.
Ah, now I see why you won your tag!
Laugh Reaction GIF by GIPHY News
Its well earned.

MikeM

Show me one 60fps game that looks better than its 30fps counterpart on console and I will grant you gold

Show me one game that has both fidelity and perfomance mode, that has performance mode set as the default mode.

Show me one game that captures marketing material footage in the performance mode.

pwzB4Ik.gif

You guys are nuts.
Looks better is relative. In a still image, a 30fps game will look better than a 60fps game because more frametime is being diverted to things like extra pixels, foliage quality, draw distance, etc.

60fps makes some compromises in the quality to bring about better motion handling and input latency by generating frames faster.

You like 30fps? Do you. Its not for everyone and sure has hell as its own compromises that I can’t stand.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

pwzB4Ik.gif

You guys are nuts.
Its fine to like 30fps and be content with it. I was laughing more at the disdain for 60fps and saying made up facts to support your preference. Most games have a 60fps option, not 4 in the future. Its not a balance, when its running at the lowest frame rate doesn't make sense. 40fps would be a balanced mode, hence why its called that in settings. You also lose me when you refer to image quality, yet negate motion resolution and how images look in motion. Its all part of the package consideration for me and many others.

Thankfully, we usually get options - which is great, so that personal preferences can be chosen. Thats how it should be. If Remedy dont provide a decent 60fps option, then its fair for people to call them out on it. Fingers crossed both modes are great, so everyone can choose what they like.

StereoVsn

Yes.

No.

40fps is still tolerable with 120hz, IMO, as it’s quite a bit less latency if you look at how that works out vs 30 fps.

Still, 60fps would be significantly better and 30 gps is generally terrible.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Alan Wake II, PS5 gameplay, 30fps fidelity mode.

"So juddery! Unplayable! I cant aim!"

Im sick of this crap, you folks are killing dev ambition, and the push for graphical enhancements with your constant 60fps bootlicking. Quit it.

This is 4 months old reupload of reupload.
And no idea what platform is this from...

Represent.

This is 4 months old reupload of reupload.
And no idea what platform is this from...
This was from the first set of previews. Back in the summer. That footage was running on PS5. Confirmed by devs and people playing it

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This was from the first set of previews. Back in the summer. That footage was running on PS5. Confirmed by devs and people playing it
ok. The more recent footage I found from last month or so, looks more stable.
It has dualsense prompts so maybe its from ps5

Represent.

ok. The more recent footage I found from last month or so, looks more stable.
It has dualsense prompts so maybe its from ps5
https://wccftech.com/alan-wake-2/

Trailer also PS5 version. Quality mode. 30fps. And yet apparently its unplayable to these people... because 30fps lol

the only PC footage we've seen has been the latest preview and the Nvidia RT/PT tech ads

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No 40FPS....but is there 60 fps performance mode?

The 60 FPS (we don't even know how good it is at 60 FPS yet) very likely cuts back a lot of the visual flare to reach that target, along with a much lower resolution.

Minsc

Gold Member
After FFXVI I learned I will never play another console game that's not a solid 60 again. The Performance mode sucked ass, and the 30fps Quality mode was 100x worse with that fucking blur.

No fucking thanks. Next.

Black_Stride

Does pc has a different running animation?
Yes.
Let's hope they added HDR this time... control and AW remaster sorely missed it.
One of their Devs made the HDR patch for Control in his free time.
So heres to hoping he straight implemented it into Alan Wake 2 before launch, cuz they clearly already have the codebase to do so.

Control_DX12_AQFd0vjSW9.png.cd9c62b97a7a793906a44815e6ecaad1.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes.

One of their Devs made the HDR patch for Control in his free time.
So heres to hoping he straight implemented it into Alan Wake 2 before launch, cuz they clearly already have the codebase to do so.

Control_DX12_AQFd0vjSW9.png.cd9c62b97a7a793906a44815e6ecaad1.png
Yeah I used it and it worries me that he doesn't know what he is doing.
That's too many weird sliders for hdr

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
A PC gamer scared of calibration..........
shame-gameofthrones.gif
Not scared.
What are these stupid options?!
HDR deeper blacks?! No. HDR blacks are 0
Extra saturation? NO. What does that have to do with hdr
HDR brightnes.... ok but which one? It is just generic brightness setting that you dont touch in any game or actual peak brightness. But then form 0 to 100? NITS. WHAT ARE NITS VALUES
HDR original look?! What does that mean

The only good and proper option is hdr UI brightness.
You want to know how to make good hdr, look at hogwarts Legacy or RE gaems. You have lowest black and highest white. thats it

Last edited:

King Dazzar

If HDR isnt using system level calibration, then I'd always like, paper white (overall mid point luminance), peak highlights brightness slider and no harm in providing a black level adjustment. If it using the system level calibration, then we should ideally just need the paper white setting. Adding a UI brightness option might be good for OLED users...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I mean, isn't that nearly every performance mode?

It is, but just addressing why there's no 40hz mode but there is a 60fps mode.

We don't know if the game has any overhead over the 30 to reach 40 in the first place.

The Last of Us Part 1 had a 40hz mode at launch, it was so bad they patched it out of the game entirely.

Last edited:

Crayon

I'm skipping this one but really anticipating how it runs on a ps5. I'm thinking thanks to the high pc requirements it is going to cause a stir either way.

Black_Stride

Not scared.
What are these stupid options?!
HDR deeper blacks?! No. HDR blacks are 0
Extra saturation? NO. What does that have to do with hdr
HDR brightnes.... ok but which one? It is just generic brightness setting that you dont touch in any game or actual peak brightness. But then form 0 to 100? NITS. WHAT ARE NITS VALUES
HDR original look?! What does that mean

The only good and proper option is hdr UI brightness.
You want to know how to make good hdr, look at hogwarts Legacy or RE gaems. You have lowest black and highest white. thats it

You remember Control has a sort of washed out look.
When you used the HDR patch didnt that "washed out desaturated" look vanish, it almost looks like the game is using a completely different LUT.
So if you want HDR but still want the "washed out desaturated" look you turn on HDR Original Look.
Deeper Blacks is as the name suggest, Control has near no absolute black sections, people who like using the full range might want the game to have dark areas be err.....darker or not.
Extra Saturation, as the name suggests alters how much of the color gamut you can spread too.....go to Central Research, and mess with that setting, itll become obvious what its doing.
The HDR brightness setting controls how bright the brigthess section of the screen will go based on the NITs you have set, 100 being the max NITs you set.

Last edited:

pwzB4Ik.gif

You guys are nuts.
This game looks better in the 60fps mode. And the 30fps mode is juddery (compared to the 60fps mode). Even John from DF (who likes blurry moving stuff) prefers the 60fps mode.

Last edited:

saintjules

Games that have Native support will automatically detect the DualSense and change everything to match.
Haptics/Audio/Adaptive Triggers will all work.

From this tweet we can safely assume this game has Native DualSense support.

If they can do it better than Returnal did it, then I'm board with the features for the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I remember when CDPR said this.

But this will be fine in quality mode I'm sure. Performance mode I have strong doubts about, but it's not a game that really needs 60 as much as some other games.

Represent.

Represent.

4074f734251d07521717ff6f2d05e7b9.gif

At end of the day we play games, we want game to feel good to play.....I know that sound crazy for "true" graphic whore such as yourself.
30fps feels great and looks better. unlike you, some people place value in how their games look AND play. crazy concept, im aware.

lmao
no it doesn't

no it isn't that gif is not juddery. neither is the alan wake gameplay i posted in this very thread

he's not a true graphics whore.
he values performance over visuals.
As I play my games 95% in motion, It looks better to me 95% of the time. It might look better on static screens and screenshots. But there is such a thing as temporal resolution. In motion the perceived resolution of the 60fps mode is objectively higher.

Zathalus

PC version of Control now has native HDR support that was implemented by a Remedy dev. So hopefully it is in.

The HDR in Control is also really good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom