• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy says it's happy with how Alan Wake is running on consoles

Draugoth

Gold Member
o-estudio-de-alan-wake-ii-afirma-que-sempre-acreditou-em-encontrar-maneiras-de-criar-jogos-mais-longos-096173.jpg

Many players are concerned about Alan Wake 2's performance, considering the studio's claims it was made as a 30fps experience and the recent inflated PC requirements.

Thomas Puha, Remedy's communications director, recently took to social media to say that Remedy is very happy with the game's results on consoles.

As a console gamer, I'm really happy with how good Alan Wake 2 is on consoles. We focused on them a lot during development, making sure the game ran well and looked as amazing as it did. We focus on all platforms to be fair to the best of our ability.

Several PS5 videos were released around June when we showed off the game at Play Days. You do not need to worry. I don't play PC at work, just consoles, and the game is great!

When a user asked if console players would struggle, Puha responded that "that's not the case, the console versions are great, we take great care with them."

For Puha, Alan Wake 2 isn't really a "mouse and keyboard" game. The studio made use of the various functions of the DualSense, both on PS5 and PC. Players will be able to feel the rain and each weapon will have a different trigger pressure.

Unfortunately Puha confirmed that the game will not have 120 Hz / 40 fps mode on consoles. However, he states that he has given the studio a lot of support to deliver the best possible version on consoles, since according to him, Remedy already has "more than enough" professionals to deliver the best possible quality on PC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well they're not exactly gonna say that any version of their shipping game is shit and shouldn't be played. Shame about the lack of a 40hz mode, but the visuals this game is reportedly pushing, a solid locked 30 will be good first.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

There is more to this game than just graphics.....right?.....RIGHT!?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sense

Their hyperfast pixel response times are a two way sword, very little motion blur at high framerates, but at low framerates it can look choppy and effects to smooth this out can look like soap opera

Nani? Due to instant pixel on/off, 30fps generally appears to have judder/stutter on OLEDs. Can that be masked? Perhaps. Is it a good time, no.
It’s only an issue if you make it one.

I’m playing spiderman 2 in fidelity mode right this second on an OLED and it’s glorious. Absolutely nothing distracting about it. No judder/stutter. Nothing.

Same goes for every game.

This myth is just that, a match. Fidelity modes on OLEDS look and play amazing

Last edited:

simpatico

There is more to this game than just graphics.....right?.....RIGHT!?
At least on PC the graphics are hard locking some people out who were expecting to be able to play. Probably the biggest tangible news about the game since the previews dropped a while ago. This has only ever happened one other time to me, at the end of the Phenom II era. I forget the game, but it launched without instruction set support for PII's and the dev patched it in rather quickly. Seems like this won't be possible with AW2.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

I’m playing spiderman 2 in fidelity mode right this second on an OLED and it’s glorious. Absolutely nothing distracting about it. No judder/stutter. Nothing.

Stop.presenting opinion as fact, just because you can deal with judder doesn't mean that others can too.

What you find acceptable isn't for others, shit, the number of times I've been to people's houses with their TVs being on Vivid with saturation and brightness blown up to 11...guess what, they like it and they don't have a problem, doesn't mean that others won't though.

Also : it's not a "myth" but an actual technical fact, something that can actually be proven.
Instant pixel response time = judder on low framerate content.

Again, opinions are not facts, you can continue to enjoy your fidelity modes, let others have their own opinion though which - in this case - are actually the right ones since, again, it's a technical side-effect of OLED technology.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Well they're not exactly gonna say that any version of their shipping game is shit and shouldn't be played. Shame about the lack of a 40hz mode, but the visuals this game is reportedly pushing, a solid locked 30 will be good first.
If it’s the ff16 version of 30fps it’ll be great. That game is the best 30fps ever made.

True that, fuck all the noise

Used to detest 30 fps modes. Started giving them a chance on my C1 48, they look amazing.

Even that Gotham Knights game got it's quality as a 30fps only experience

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Stop.presenting opinion as fact, just because you can deal with judder doesn't mean that others can too.

What you find acceptable isn't for others, shit, the number of times I've been to people's houses with their TVs being on Vivid with saturation and brightness blown up to 11...guess what, they like it and they don't have a problem, doesn't mean that others won't though.

Also : it's not a "myth" but an actual technical fact, something that can actually be proven.
Instant pixel response time = judder on low framerate content.

Again, opinions are not facts, you can continue to enjoy your fidelity modes, let others have their own opinion though which - in this case - is actually the right one since, again, it's a technical side-effect of OLED technology.
Its not a fact if some people see it and others dont. Its either there or it isnt. Its such a miniscule, literally unnoticeable thing that people online try to make such a big deal of. Go play SP2 in fidelity mode right now and tell me with a straight face its "juddery" on an OLED. It objectively is not.

Then go do the same with TLOU Part 1, Horizon, RE4, Dead Space, FF16, etc.

Pimpbaa

That really depends on the game. Insomniac has been great at making 30fps look good. Other games with worse or no motion blur look terrible on an OLED. Horizon Forbidden West for example looks like shit at 30fps (or it use to) on OLED, I’m not sure why.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

lol, who are you going to believe, your lying eyes or me strategy, eh? Good for you that it doesn’t bother you. It must be the same for everybody… oh wait.

Xyphie

Pretty clear that the internal resolution is very low though. Game has levels of shimmering not seen since Infamous on PS3.

Last edited:
Was going get this day one, but will wait for DF for this, it’s unlikely there will be 40fps mode, as that dose require some extra work, wish Sony and ms made it mandatory for all games. Like everyone says 30fps looks like shit on oled.

We heard similar shit before cyberpunk came out. Believe it when i see it. You'd never be careful enough in 2023. Im buying this day 1 no matter what, i just hope it will look and run good on PS5
Thomas is the man so I'm not worried.

Day one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom