• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS producer says PC DS1 was rushed;No Vita;Explodes w/ laughter when asked about WiiU

Eusis

But... Dark Souls with Miiverse. Pls.
Who do you think is the father of Miiverse?

Well ok maybe that can be attributed more to social networks in general, but Demon's Souls was one of the first to show how valuable community interaction can be when tied into a game.
Then why isn't there a Metroid or Zelda title on the system for these fans?
They have a Zelda for those fans, it's Wind Waker on Hero mode. Metroid meanwhile was crashed into a ditch by Sakamoto.

More seriously though I was thinking about how the older Metroid and Zelda games were tough and left you stranded in an unknown world to explore and piece things together. Demon's Souls and especially Dark Souls carried on that spirit better than MOST of the recent installments in both series, though ALBW goes back to those roots. It's not even necessarily about being HARD, just being able to explore and figure out a world without rail roading and/or explanations every step of the way, something that aLTTP and Super Metroid got without being particularly hard games, though Wind Waker on Hero mode definitely has a Dark Souls-esque bite to it.

Frodo

I imagine the audience for Dark Souls IS on Wii U, especially given where Metroid and Zelda came from... the real question is "are they elsewhere too?" And the answer to that is almost certainly "yes": who here wants to get Dark Souls II and has a Wii U but DOESN'T have a PS3, 360, and/or capable PC?

Looks at my avatar... Looks to Wii U by the side of the TV... Looks at the PS3 by its side...

Shame really, because DS would be great with the Gamepad and no HUD on the TV.

Sentenza

They're not relying on GFWL this around, right?
They couldn't even if they wanted to because the service is shutting down, the Steam logo at the end of the teaser trailer essentially confirms a Steamworks version on PC and to say it all I'm actually expecting them to patch out GFWL from the first game as well, at some point.

Skyzard

Banned
you seem to be reading things opposite

Thanks, my bad.

Thought they meant it wouldn't be on vita because it was being monetized and that didn't work so well with ridge racer or something!

Really sucks about a no vita version because of network features then lol! :'( Vita has awesome network features.

Maybe if they are really focussing on MP and not so much SP? Is that what the original was like? There must be a decent campaign at least, mp as extra, no?

wii-u-sad-1534973.jpg

WTF is this shit GAF. Have you played souls? You need to those things at all times on your screen.

Haunted

so basically, he said:

fuck WiiU

fuck Vita

fuck F2P

fuck pay to win

weDOn.gif

A man of convictions who knows the market and his audience - I can respect that.

Looks at my avatar... Looks to Wii U by the side of the TV... Looks at the PS3 by its side...

The souls games are the last games that should be tearing your eyes away from the main screen. That is how you die.

54-46!

They couldn't even if they wanted to because the service is shutting down, the Steam logo at the end of the teaser trailer essentially confirms a Steamworks version on PC and to say it all I'm actually expecting them to patch out GFWL from the first game as well, at some point.

Music to my ears.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is why Nintendo's consoles aren't going to amount to much more than Nintendo game machines.
That image of only being for families with young children is branded on them for life. Nintendo doesn't help matters by releasing more of the same colorful characters over and over instead of trying to get a variety of different genres on the hardware, the way they did generations ago.

Anyways when DS hits next gen consoles I'll look forward to playing it on my Vita.

spekkeh

Banned
From just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Dark Souls 2 for any system, nor will they purchase any of From's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but From has alienated an entire market by exploding in laughter.

From, publicly apologize and bring Dark Souls 2 to Wii U or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Vishnu

To be honest, these kind of remarks really put me off games from him. (Or other producers who act the same freaking way).
Instead of handeling it like an adult he just goes with the flow like all the teenagers.

Mind you I do see the Wiiu failing and all that jazz , but the point is beeing hammered into everyones skull. We get it, the Wiiu is awefull, everyone who dares to own one must be an infant. They have to be, there is no way in hell any adult can by a Nintendo product. We get it.... /s
And people like him make it worse.

Look at how the Sony guy did it, same point, yet 100 times classier.

(Yes it is an overreaction, I know)

Frodo

No health, stamina bar, current item display on screen? No thanks.

Oh gawd, why do people have to take everything literally word by word? You know some games let you customise your HUD and leave some elements of it at the big screen and put others on the game pad? I personally would leave the Health and Stamina bar at the big screen but would take the Weapons/Items HUD and leave it on the game pad.

Also: inventory management could benefit a lot from the gamepad,

Wanny

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Dark Souls 2 for any system, nor will they purchase any of From's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but From has alienated an entire market by exploding in laughter.

From, publicly apologize and bring Dark Souls 2 to Wii U or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Well just watch Dark Souls 2 beats the hell out of Dark souls 1 sales wise.

Japanese public don't care about WiiU tho.

I know the post is a joke

but would take the Weapons/Items HUD and leave it on the game pad.

How would you know what weapon or item your switching to then? Seems like a silly thing to do especially in PvP situations or aggressive enemies to look down.

Frodo

The souls games are the last games that should be tearing your eyes away from the main screen. That is how you die.

I've played them, and I don't need to look to the screen to know what weapon I have equipped or what weapon I would equip if if hit the d-pad. And also: options. It doesn't mean it needs to be mandatory.

Skyzard

Banned
so basically, he said:

fuck WiiU

fuck Vita

fuck F2P

fuck pay to win

weDOn.gif

A man of convictions who knows the market and his audience - I can respect that.

Nah, a nice handheld Dark Souls on Vita with its pitch black OLED and great dark colours? Would make for a pretty awesome experience playing in bed. Limbo's artstyle works so well on it.

It is what he said though :/

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Oh gawd, why do people have to take everything literally word by word? You know some games let you customise your HUD and leave some elements of it at the big screen and put others on the game pad? I personally would leave the Health and Stamina bar at the big screen but would take the Weapons/Items HUD and leave it on the game pad.

Also: inventory management could benefit a lot from the gamepad,

No, I actually didn't know this (._. )

Anyway weapon selection can go since you can see the weapon in hand, the item scroller would be stupid to move away though.

Eusis

Well, I'd like the inventory and menus on the bottom screen more, but yeah, it would be nice to be able to use the second screen with the game. Though stick placement kind of damns it for me: can't hold my index finger on the dash button while looking around on Wii U, and the shoulder buttons aren't great for the control scheme anyway.
No health, stamina bar, current item display on screen? No thanks.
Some people really like that uncluttered screen. Me, I think I want my view to be more like Tony Stark's, lots of info to track.

Rehynn

I don't really know why the idea of a Wii U port is that funny. To him or to players.

People complain that there's not enough third party games on the platform, yet they cheer when a third party dismisses the console.

onken

They said there isn't an audience for this on Wii U but that's not the case at all.

There isn't an audience for anything on the Wii U!

I imagine the audience for Dark Souls IS on Wii U, especially given where Metroid and Zelda came from.

What does this even mean? What do games from the 80s have to do with the current WiiU audience? It'd be like saying the audience for 3D platformers is on the Xbone because Rare made Banjo Kazooie a few decades ago .

Uthred

Similarly, From have no plans for a Vita version (“It’s not a handheld game, because of the network functionality.”)

Odd he was upfront about his disdain for the Wii U but gave some bullshit answer like this for the Vita, if MMO's can manage with the Vita's "network functionaility" I'm sure DS could manage as well. Wonder is it they just couldnt be arsed/dont know how to do it.

danmaku

He's explaining what was obvious since the beginning: the port was rushed as hell. I still don't understand why Namco felt it was so important to release the game ASAP, no matter the cost.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
WTF is this shit GAF. Have you played souls? You need to those things at all times on your screen.

I have both Demon and Dark souls. Do you have a Wii U? Have you ever play with the gamepad?
Don't want to derail the thread because I'm not portbagging: I have a PS3 and I'll play this on that console.
But every Wii U owner knows how great would be a DS2-alike game on the Wii U, with Miiverse integration, customizable HUD, inventory management by touch and so on.

He's not the first developer to laugh at Wii U.

I figured I'd ask straight-out, so during the Q&A with Rein, I did. "Will UE4 run on the Wii U?"

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter.

So he says i am not the Wii U audience? :( This man knows his shit.

Would have loved to play it on my Wii U.. Well, will have to wait for a Steam Sale then.

Odd he was upfront about his disdain for the Wii U but gave some bullshit answer like this for the Vita, if MMO's can manage with the Vita's "network functionaility" I'm sure DS could manage as well. Wonder is it they just couldnt be arsed/dont know how to do it.

Probably that the 3G capability on supported Vita models is useless for the PvP aspect of DS. Most people play their Vita on the move I wager, ain't nobody going to be invading you if you've no internet.

I have both Demon and Dark souls. Do you have a Wii U? Have you ever play with the gamepad?
Don't want to derail the thread because I'm not portbagging: I have a PS3 and I'll play this on that console.
But every Wii U owner knows how great would be a DS2-alike game on the Wii U, with Miiverse integration, customizable HUD, inventory management by touch and so on.

Do I have a WiiU? No. Is there one in the house? Yes. Souls already has miiverse integration in the form of message people can write to others and its limited in terms of vocabulary for a reason. The only benefit I can see is inventory management which ain't really a hassle in Souls since your equip burden is now infinite. You just scroll down till you find something you want.

Jenoss

Banned
I imagine the audience for Dark Souls IS on Wii U, especially given where Metroid and Zelda came from... the real question is "are they elsewhere too?" And the answer to that is almost certainly "yes": who here wants to get Dark Souls II and has a Wii U but DOESN'T have a PS3, 360, and/or capable PC?

I'll prefer of wiiu than the pc.. But i'm forced to take the pc version now

Enkidu

What are the odds that Dark Souls 2 will actually play decently with a mouse and keyboard? I somehow doubt that From will implement a decent control scheme even if they set out to make a "good PC experience".

Uthred

Probably that the 3G capability on supported Vita models is useless for the PvP aspect of DS. Most people play their Vita on the move I wager, ain't nobody going to be invading you if you've no internet.

For quite a while with the PC version "aint nobody going to be invading you" was the norm ;) I think people over-estimate the importance of the PvP stuff, which in previous games anyhow was basically opional (in that you could or were forced to play offline and could experience the majority of the game). Again it just seems odd that it works for persistently online stuff like MMO's but mysteriously not for DS.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What are the odds that Dark Souls 2 will actually play decently with a mouse and keyboard? I somehow doubt that From will implement a decent control scheme even if they set out to make a "good PC experience".

Isn't it just awkward for some games regardless of developer effort? Are people going to be playing MGR:R with a keyboard?

Aeneas

Where did I read this before? I feel it was posted without irony about some other game...

EDarkness

So he says i am not the Wii U audience? :( This man knows his shit.

Would have loved to play it on my Wii U.. Well, will have to wait for a Steam Sale then.

It's just a case of people sterotyping certain things. It's annoying as hell, to be honest. Doesn't matter to me since I own Demon's Souls and have no desire to ever play another one.

Eusis

What does this even mean? What do games from the 80s have to do with the current WiiU audience? It'd be like saying the audience for 3D platformers is on the Xbone because Rare made Banjo Kazooie a few decades ago .
Well Nintendo kind of released a literal NES Remix less than two days ago...

But Rare's a poor example even given the time distance, most of their old properties are left discarded or in the hands of others if they're lucky and there was a clear decline going on, while Nintendo's been able to keep a good chunk of their older base while bringing new fans in with iterations of older work and even reselling those games. And even throwing out difficulty I elaborated on how Metroid and Zelda had the kind of design that Dark Souls has, and not simply in regards to difficulty.
I'll prefer of wiiu than the pc.. But i'm forced to take the pc version now
That's kind of my point though, regardless of preference you DO have another compatible platform rather than only having Wii U. There may be some, but they're absolutely the minority.

Top Bottom