• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Snowman' trailer, Fassbender, 20/10

Saw a different trailer for this that was so insanely full of spoilers I'm surprised they didn't just show us the killer. Looks okay but man Fassbender is such a good actor and he seems to be making some odd choices for starring roles.

I can't believe this is a real movie and I can't wait for it.

Fassbender saying in completely seriousness... They call him The Snowman Killer just fucking slays me.

The Guardian just put out an article analysing the trailer.
M0Orq52.png

It's one of the most insightful pieces of film writing I've read this year.

This should win awards... like a Pulitzer or something

5 Not so spooky Snowmans out of 5

oI9YM3W.jpg

4. Not to get all Red Pill on you, but this film is called The Snowman, not The Snow-Woman. To strive for gender equality by putting a dead lady's head on top of a pile of snow and passing it off as a snowman is political correctness gone mad. The spookiest thing about this is the possibility she'll steal your credit card and blow all your money on handbags – am I right!? Whatever next, a female Doctor Who? SPOOKY SNOWMAN RATING: 5.5/10

I'M DYING

Nesbø is one of those people who you really want to hate just because they've got about five people's share of talent. I read an article about him a while ago and his life has gone something like:

-Started out as a very talented football player, playing for Norway at youth level.

- When he got injured and had to pack that in, despite claiming he had basically ignored school all his life, in just one year he got his grades up enough to get accepted to Norway's top business school.

-Was a successful stock broker until he got bored and quit to become a musician. Was singer and songwriter for Di Derre, one of Norway's most successful bands for a few years.

-It was only after that he tried his hand at writing and became one of the top selling authors in the world.

So he's only been successful at sports, business, music (both writing and singing) and writing books. No big deal...

kevin1025

Banned
Nesbø is one of those people who you really want to hate just because they've got about five people's share of talent. I read an article about him a while ago and his life has gone something like:

-Started out as a very talented football player, playing for Norway at youth level.

- When he got injured and had to pack that in, despite claiming he had basically ignored school all his life, in just one year he got his grades up enough to get accepted to Norway's top business school.

-Was a successful stock broker until he got bored and quit to become a musician. Was singer and songwriter for Di Derre, one of Norway's most successful bands for a few years.

-It was only after that he tried his hand at writing and became one of the top selling authors in the world.

So he's only been successful at sports, business, music (both writing and singing) and writing books. No big deal...

That's wild. I only knew about his bestselling books, had no clue about all of the other aspects. That's quite the life.

I can't believe this is a real movie and I can't wait for it.

Fassbender saying in completely seriousness... They call him The Snowman Killer just fucking slays me.

This should win awards... like a Pulitzer or something

5 Not so spooky Snowmans out of 5

I'M DYING

oh dear lord
wow

the sad thing is, some people think like this.

A true Renaissance Man, I'll have to check out his book.

Some of that is also a product of fortune and privilege though. No doubt the talent is there but consider this:

His footballing experience was likely a major reason why the business school accepted him. Athletes are favored in a lot of school applications so his grades didn't have to be perfect, just good enough to build a compelling application with his extracurriculars.

Obviously, going to the best school in Norway fast tracks you into the stock broker career and you do all kinds of networking with people at those schools who could later offer opportunities to you. Being a successful stockbroker means you likely cross paths with successful people from all walks of life, including the music world. Which gives you a leg up over all the other musicians who are talented but don't know anybody. The same with being an author, if you know the right publishers and promoters, then you are ahead of all the other writers that can write but won't get the time of the day from anyone willing to read their stuff.

Basically, luck is a big factor even if you are a multi-talented person. There are lots of people who are/were just as gifted but never got the chance to show it. Especially minority children growing up in poor neighborhoods with no upward opportunities.

Three reviews are out in Norway and all three give it 2 out of 6 (scoring things with a dice is popular here). More reviews will be out tomorrow.

Top Bottom