• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Snowman’ Director on Why Critics Hate His Movie: Didn’t shoot the Whole Script

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/th...ns-movie-terrible-tomas-alfredson-1201888133/

Swedish director Tomas Alfredson has earned acclaim for efforts like “Let the Right One In” and the Oscar-nominated “Tinker Tailor Solider Spy,” but his new film, “The Snowman,” is better off forgotten. The murder mystery from Universal Pictures opens in theaters Friday and has earned abysmal reviews from critics, with IndieWire slamming its “laughable missteps” in a C- review. The film currently has a 24% on Rotten Tomatoes after 24 reviews, and Alfredson is well aware his film is bombing with critics.

In an interview with NRK, the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, Alfredson explained why the movie ended up being a misfire: “Our shoot time in Norway was way too short, we didn’t get the whole story with us and when we started cutting we discovered that a lot was missing.”

By Alfredson’s estimates, around 10-15% of the movie’s screenplay was not filmed during production. “The Snowman” was originally set to be directed by Martin Scorsese, but Alfredson took over and Scorsese stepped into an executive producing role. The film had been in development for awhile by the time Alfredson came on board and production was rushed once he was set as director. “It happened very abruptly,” he said. “Suddenly we got notice that we had the money and could start the shoot in London.”

Alfredson says that because 10-15% of the screenplay was not filmed, it left huge story gaps that needed to be filled in the editing room. “It’s like when you’re making a big jigsaw puzzle and a few pieces are missing so you don’t see the whole picture,” he said.

Mister Director,

You could have saved this movie.

I gave you the whole script

Trailer-and-poster-for-The-Snowman_feature-631x381.jpg

Ridley327

Oh wow, it's rare to see a director be so candid about a film's problems before the film formally opens to the public.

....he's not getting another Hollywood film again, is he.

Oh wow, it's rare to see a director be so candid about a film's problems before the film formally opens to the public.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet didn't get another Hollywood film after Alien Resurrection and he went on to have a fantastic career (and was nominated for an Oscar!). Maybe Alfredson will have similar fortune?

kevin1025

Banned
Great that he's being open about the situation, just unfortunate how things came to pass. I hope his honesty doesn't cost him more middle-to-high profile gigs (independent or studio-wise), he can definitely direct incredible movies when given the right project.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Dude who did Babylon AD fucking trashed Fox and disowned the film well in advance

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Okay, biggest production misfire of the season. Kingsman 2 with a "whoops 4 hour cut" or this? Lol. Maybe Dark Tower gets a honorable mention too?

teepo

i'm inclined to believe anything this man has to say. afterall, he did direct let the right one in and tinker tailor soldier spy

Alfredson says that because 10-15% of the screenplay was not filmed, it left huge story gaps that needed to be filled in the editing room. “It’s like when you’re making a big jigsaw puzzle and a few pieces are missing so you don’t see the whole picture,” he said.

This makes sense if 3-4 pieces out of a 500 piece puzzle are missing, not 50-75.

Marcel

I mean a movie called "The Snowman" that's a spoopy thriller about serial killer who uses snowmen sounds fucking stupid on its face, the fact that it's also a bad movie is just like throwing more trash on the dumpster fire.

Okay, biggest production misfire of the season. Kingsman 2 with a "whoops 4 hour cut" or this? Lol. Maybe Dark Tower gets a honorable mention too?
I imagine the things people don’t like about kingsmen wouldn’t be fixed in a longer version. The things that critics are saying are missing from this movie might well be in that 15% never got filmed.
I mean a movie called "The Snowman" that's a spoopy thriller about serial killer who uses snowmen sounds fucking stupid on its face, the fact that it's also a bad movie is just like throwing more trash on the dumpster fire.
I think the director is talking more on the quality and critical reception of the film than the box office that has an open yet.

Swedish director Tomas Alfredson has earned acclaim for efforts like “Let the Right One In” and the Oscar-nominated “Tinker Tailor Solider Spy,”

I bloody love Let the Right One In and TTSS in general. Need to give his version of the film another chance, I guess.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I heard from someone that's seen the movie, that they completely ravaged the book. Like it barely ressembles it.

I really don't understand how on a $35m budget movie you don't realize you forgot to film scenes until you are in the editing room. That... doesn't make any sense.

But thanks Mr. Director I guess from saving me the time by being so candid and honest? I probably will give you a charity ticket with MoviePass and just not see it, just cuz I admire your honesty.

The Snowman isn't a "Hollywood" film in terms of funding by any stretch of the imagination, so it doesn't matter.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FWIW it's at least a better excuse than "we don't make movies for critics."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I find it suspect that he appears to be simultaneously blaming producers for slashing his production time while also saying he only discovered in the editing process that he was missing huge important scenes and connective tissue.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Meh, I'll just stick to Branagh's Wallander if I need norse thrillers, which luckly doesn't happen too often because they make me want to kill myself

I really don't understand how on a $35m budget movie you don't realize you forgot to film scenes until you are in the editing room. That... doesn't make any sense.

But thanks Mr. Director I guess from saving me the time by being so candid and honest? I probably will give you a charity ticket with MoviePass and just not see it, just cuz I admire your honesty.

I don't think he's saying they mistakenly didn't shoot stuff. I think he's saying that they were cut short and didn't realize just how much that fucked them until they got to editing and realized how many pieces that were missing were key to the flow and structure of the film.

Catdaddy

The TV spots were awful, evidently so is the movie. At first thought it was a parody and I laughed when I saw the “snowman” that was suppose to be a tense (scary?) moment.

Man, my kids and I LOVE The Snowman... especially that song

"We're walking through the air...
We're floating in the moonlit sky...
The people far below are sleeping as we fly..."

Fuchsdh

Outright not filming 15% of the screenplay seems like a colossal failure of the producers. But if you're the director I don't understand how you don't realize that until you're in editing.

I don't think he's saying they mistakenly didn't shoot stuff. I think he's saying that they were cut short and didn't realize just how much that fucked them until they got to editing and realized how many pieces that were missing were key to the flow and structure of the film.

It's possible this is the correct interpretation, and perhaps it's a translation issue, but that's not the impression the excerpts from the interview give me. It sounds like "we didn't shoot 15% of this, and we were left in editing trying to cover that up."

Carl

I went to see it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Not a film i'd usually go see tbh but my girlfriend wanted to go.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Please make a film as good as Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy again...

there have been talks for a TTSS sequel since 2013 I think. Need to kidnap Gary Oldman and put his arse in there insteada playing the 43th version of Churchill we had in five years

Outright not filming 15% of the screenplay seems like a colossal failure of the producers. But if you're the director I don't understand how you don't realize that until you're in editing.

It's possible this is the correct interpretation, and perhaps it's a translation issue, but that's not the impression the excerpts from the interview give me. It sounds like "we didn't shoot 15% of this, and we were left in editing trying to cover that up."
It happens a lot where a budget is too low or production runs behind and they need more money and more time and it is not given to them and it is expected that the director and editor make best with what they have. So for me, I interpreted it as that.

I said in the review thread that it sounded like studio interference, and it looks like I was right. I hate it when studios feel the need to screw with the directors script and vision. It rarely turns out well.

Wait, he just didn't outright film it? That's on the director then.

Linkura

How the fuck do you direct a movie and not realize you didn't film 10-15% of the scenes until after filming is wrapped?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Twitter roasting has begun

The only other Fassbender movies I've seen this year are Alien Covenant and renting Assassin's Creed. I don't think I can watch him in another bad movie...

jonezer4

The trailers made this movie look like absolute, godawful schlock.

When you can't make the two minute trailer compelling, I don't think shooting 15% more movie was going to help.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The marketing for this movie honestly makes it look like one of those fake movies you'd see in a comedy.

Top Bottom