• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

kaskade

Accidently deleted the game from my homescreen on the switch while clearing out some software like demos and such. My stomach dropped becasue I wasn't sure if Nintendo tied all that data with the save data (seems like something they would do). Thankfully they don't.

trixx

holy shit the desert dungeon felt like I was playing metroid prime.

the music

the design. Top tier, I just wish they didn't show me where they were located

Ancient cistern/lanayru mining facility/sandship/snowpeak ruins/city in the sky tier.

IronRinn

It also sorts differently each time you press it. Eg for armour you press and it sorts all headgear together, then all chest pieces etc. Press again and it groups armour together into full sets
I noticed that, too. This whole time I've been thinking "Why don't they group like armor types together?" when, duh.

Ossom

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but sometime you will be climbing something and get to a surface that you assume link can stand on, but he doesn't stand up. If you press b he will automatically stand up and more times than not I have found that he can stand without slipping and I will wait a second to recover stamina and then carry on.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but sometime you will be climbing something and get to a surface that you assume link can stand on, but he doesn't stand up. If you press b he will automatically stand up and more times than not I have found that he can stand without slipping and I will wait a second to recover stamina and then carry on.
I heard that one from Gamexplain a while back. It is a must for climbing with 1 stamina bar (me for most the game) or doing so in the rain (you cancel out of climbing as soon as Link is scripted to slip). You can't really do it if the angle is too steep though but the limit is something like 60 degrees so still pretty steep.

tauroxd

4 more Shrines left, and I'm pretty sure they are all Kass Shrines that I skipped because I found the quests annoying, including the
Blood Moon
one that will probably end up being my final Shrine.

I don't know if a was too lucky or the gameis programmed to help you, but when I discovered the
Blood Moon one
minutes later that condition happened and I went that place. I think that I would've found that one very annoying if what happened didn't happened.

I have 9 shrines left and apparently at least 3 or 4 of them are from Shrine Quests (I completed all of Kass' ones though) ((Also one of the is the ball in Impa's House)). Is there any tips to make finding them easier? I'm avoiding looking at a guide for now but maybe I'll have to eventually

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have 9 shrines left and apparently at least 3 or 4 of them are from Shrine Quests (I completed all of Kass' ones though) ((Also one of the is the ball in Impa's House)). Is there any tips to make finding them easier? I'm avoiding looking at a guide for now but maybe I'll have to eventually

Have you finished all sidequests? I know at least some shrine quests only become available after you've done all sidequests in that area (the Kakariko one being one). I don't know how many are like that though.

AdamisFox

I've finished the game yesterday with the complete ending and it was a blast :)
I'm gonna explore the places I haven't seen yet and maybe finish the shrines (I have 82 at the moment) ^^

Have you finished all sidequests? I know at least some shrine quests only become available after you've done all sidequests in that area (the Kakariko one being one). I don't know how many are like that though.

Woah no I didn't. I actually just found some side quests I was missing (the cooking ones). Gonna try this

Just beat the game. A bit underwhelming like I've read but I've enjoyed my time with the game. I'm at like 102 shrines and 166 koroks. I think I'm just gonna wait for hard mode to do a 100%.

o_O

Better start saving up...and maybe farm guardians for upgrades rather than bokoblins..

If you have Master Sword and at least a little bit of some armor (i think you can actually get a Guardian Res tiara thing or something somewhere?) its pretty easy to farm them.

Make sure to slice the legs off to keep from them from running away and lasering. That's the biggest challenge unless you're really good at parrying their lasers back

I disable everything but Revali's gale. The shield looks visually annoying to me. Urbosa's and Mipha's is overpower.

Plus none of them encourage exploration really. Unlike Revali's that makes exploring easier and fun. Although I never use it in battle. I think it's cooler to light grass on Fire and use that updraft

I don't see how Miphas is overpowered when food does it better and whenever you want instead of every 30 minutes

Hey GAF!

What joy!

I literally just finished this and I was burning so badly to talk to someone about this game. I thought to myself "I wish I could post on Neogaf!"

I decide to check my email, and "BOOM" there's the activation email, just in today.

Is there a spoiler thread or do I have to spoiler tag here?

Hey GAF!

What joy!

I literally just finished this and I was burning so badly to talk to someone about this game. I thought to myself "I wish I could post on Neogaf!"

I decide to check my email, and "BOOM" there's the activation email, just in today.

Is there a spoiler thread or do I have to spoiler tag here?

Lots of people are still playing through, so personally I'd tag.

Also, welcome!

Nictel

So the
Royal laboratory
only has a
korok
and nothing else?
Kind of disappointed with a name like that. Hoped for something more

Mcdohl

Just finished the game.

120/120 shrines, all memories.

MASTERPIECE 10/10

Current GOTY.

Exaggeration aside, it really is my favorite game so far this year and it is one of my favorite games ever. Great job Nintendo, specially after Skyward Sword which I didn't enjoy. Well deserved scores too.

I know some people are not fans of the light storytelling in this game, but I think it was fine and it did the job well. Keeping it simple can be great, not all games need to be paragons of storytelling. Games are not movies or novels.

Btw, about the final parts of the game...

The Last Memory was really cool, and it really helped paint a better picture on the princess. She's not your average damsel in distress, she actually saved your life fighting the bad guys.

Hyrule Caslte music was HYPE AS FUCK.

And then Calamity Ganon...
Phase 1: Awesome design! Epic fight, and dude looked like a boss straight out from Bloodborne. Loved it!

Phase 2: Cool design but meh fight, and not as good design as Phase 1. A bit disappointing after the incredible Phase 1.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I remember it being in a straight line from the route that you entered.

This doesn't really help but when
I found the Hinox I could see where to put the ball and it was glowing and I think it had torches lits too
. Still regarding that section I was surprised
they didn't have the map fail like it does in sandstorms

Yeah, my mistake was that I didn't enter the area through where you are supposed to go (I just jumped on ice blocks until there), so I found the Hinox by luck and I couldn't see the base from that angle.

I did it again tonight going from the bridge and it was very straight forward. Especially since I already killed the Hinox and the ball was back there and not where I left it.

ReBirFh

They could be Levias, the Ocean King and the Wind Fish. The skeleton near
the Death Mountain
strongly reassembles Levias

Good point, I will take a better look a them next time. We have Sand Seals, why am I doubting te existense of Whales in the desert.

Okay. So two main things bugging me are

Ganon's design and the lack of importance placed on the Master Sword in the main story.

How do you design a Zelda game without requiring Link to wield the blade that "Seals away the Darkness."??

I'm totally flabbergasted by this!

Granted, I haven't played through a Zelda game since WW, so maybe they've taken liberties with the Master Sword since then? Or my memory of the older titles is just hazy? Admittedly, I'm a lapsed Zelda fan, but as far as I can remember, the blade was always essential to beating Ganon. The fact that you can beat him without the Master Sword feels wrong and just incomplete.

It doesn't help that just last week I encountered the Lost Woods for the first time, just before defeating the last Divine Beast and the experience of it all was mostly incredible. All my childhood memories of ALTTP came flooding back to me during that superb aesthetic, navigating the forest straight out of Inferno, with nothing but a humble, flickering torch and a sturdy will to navigate a sinister fog. Meanwhile, the image of that sleeping steel in the stone is tickling my nostalgic brain matter like a newborn's tiny feet.

When the fog dispersed, the wildlife radiated away, and I finally saw the sword hibernating in the sunburst, just as I imagined it would be, I smiled from ear to ear (while trying to ignore the silly Koroks ruining the sequence) and knew I wouldn't be ready, for whatever reason. That pulling it wouldn't be that easy.

Of course, I tried to pull the sword anyway, but my Link didn't have enough Heart. I had long given up on the shrines because they frankly started to bore me, and I wanted to finish the game. But this was new motivation. Now it's time to fulfill my destiny. Beat the final DB, complete some shrines, pull the sword that "Seals away the Darkness" and march right up to Ganon's face at Hyrule Castle and put the blade in his brain, like a Suicide King.

But after beating the last DB Impa tells me that I'm ready to fight Ganon. Curious, I go to Hyrule Castle this evening, fully expecting at every moment to be turned back at some point because I don't have the Master Sword. I beat Ganon, who's initial form, while cool, doesn't look like anything Ganon should look like.

What. The. Fuck?

Still in disbelief. After the Lost Woods sequence I was soaring with this game, and now I'm just super-disappointed. Seriously, why would I waste my time getting the Master Sword now? What challenge is left in the game that makes the ultimate weapon, the "Sword that seals away the Darkness" worth having?

Am I the only one really let down by this?

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

Okay. So two main things bugging me are

The Master Sword wasn't introduced until Link to the Past (In the previous Zeldas they had the Magic Sword but even that was optional. Originally it was the Silver Arrows that were required to defeat Ganon. Remember this game harkens back to the original Zelda, so the Master Sword being optional makes sense. Heck, the way you kill Ganon
at the end even references the first Zelda in that you have to use Light Arrows.

The goal of this game, ultimately, was to give the player as much choice as possible so that you could make the story your own. Reading about all the different paths that players took int heir discoveries during the first week or two of the game's release was pretty awesome. Some people will reminisce on how they stumbled upon the Master Sword, and some may talk about how they actively searched and found the blade, while others took an entirely different path. That's the beauty of the game.

The Master Sword wasn't introduced until Link to the Past (In the previous Zeldas they had the Magic Sword but even that was optional. Originally it was the Silver Arrows that were required to defeat Ganon. Remember this game harkens back to the original Zelda, so the Master Sword being optional makes sense. Heck, the way you kill Ganon
at the end even references the first Zelda in that you have to use Light Arrows.

The goal of this game, ultimately, was to give the player as much choice as possible so that you could make the story your own. Reading about all the different paths that players took int heir discoveries during the first week or two of the game's release was pretty awesome. Some people will reminisce on how they stumbled upon the Master Sword, and some may talk about how they actively searched and found the blade, while others took an entirely different path. That's the beauty of the game.

Yeah, I know the silver/light arrows were more fundamentally important, but I remember the Magic/Master Sword being essential on some level. Hell, BOTW continues to reference it as the "Sword that seals the Darkness" and the "Darkness" is clearly Ganon. So to make it completely unnecessary for defeating him just makes no sense to me, and is super-deflating after experiencing Lost Woods.

But you are right about the Master Sword not being a thing in the first game, though. The Silver Arrows were essentially the Master Sword.

It doesn't help that he's super easy.

Yeah, I know the silver/light arrows were more fundamentally important, but I remember the Magic/Master Sword being essential on some level. Hell, BOTW continues to reference it as the "Sword that seals the Darkness" and the "Darkness" is clearly Ganon. So to make it completely unnecessary for defeating him just makes no sense to me, and is super-deflating after experiencing Lost Woods.

But you are right about the Master Sword not being a thing in the first game, though. The Silver Arrows were essentially the Master Sword.

That's an understandable way to look at it, but that falls back to the argument about the Zelda games becoming too formulaic. You felt like you should need the Master Sword because the most recent Zelda games conditioned you to feel that way. You have to get to the dungeons, you have to get the dungeon item, you have to get the medal/crystal/sage at each dungeon, you have to get the Master Sword. I appreciate BOTW for challenging these absolutes, and making an adventure that feels truly fluid and unique to each player.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I have to praise the Master Sword because it is actually powerful in this game, and it's mostly because of all the other weapons in the game. Sure their is more raw power on some weapons, but when the time comes for it to shine, nothing can beat its presence.

That's an understandable way to look at it, but that falls back to the argument about the Zelda games becoming too formulaic. You felt like you should need the Master Sword because the most recent Zelda games conditioned you to feel that way. You have to get to the dungeons, you have to get the dungeon item, you have to get the medal/crystal/sage at each dungeon, you have to get the Master Sword. I appreciate BOTW for challenging these absolutes, and making an adventure that feels truly fluid and unique to each player.

Now I'm curious: how did you come across the Lost Woods, and how far removed from that experience where you when you decided to fight Ganon?

Because I can't imagine any series veteran of the NES/Super NES games not feeling disappointed if they experienced the latter half of the game in a way similar to how I did.

On one side I agree with the idea that little being sacred is a strength of the game, but the game is already far-left enough in terms of its gameplay structure in relation to what's come before it. Servicing this fan detail I see as a point of narrative catharsis for a story that is the one thing that isn't fitting into the BOTW's unorthodoxy and I don't see it downplaying the game's strengths at all. I think it only adds to the narrative, which was by far the weakest part of the game for many.
I have to praise the Master Sword because it is actually powerful in this game, and it's mostly because of all the other weapons in the game. Sure their is more raw power on some weapons, but when the time comes for it to shine, nothing can beat its presence.

When does it really shine, though? Because since it doesn't factor into the game's narrative, now I have to look for it to factor into the gameplay.

Is it worth getting if I already beat the game? Is there a pack of Savage Lynels that it can decimate somewhere or something?

Now I'm curious: how did you come across the Lost Woods, and how far removed from that experience where you when you decided to fight Ganon?

Because I can't imagine any series veteran of the NES/Super NES games not feeling disappointed if they experienced the latter half of the game in a way similar to how I did.

On one side I agree with the idea that little being sacred is a strength of the game, but the game is already far-left enough in terms of its gameplay structure in relation to what's come before it. Servicing this fan detail I see as a point of narrative catharsis for a story that is the one thing that isn't fitting into the BOTW's unorthodoxy and I don't see it downplaying the game's strengths at all. I think it only adds to the narrative, which was by far the weakest part of the game or many.

When does it really shine, though? Because since it doesn't factor into the game's narrative, now I have to look for it to factor into the gameplay.

Is it worth getting if I already beat the game? Is there a pack of Savage Lynels that it can decimate somewhere or something?

I came upon the woods by happenstance when I activated the tower in that area of the map. I jumped off the tower and flew in a random direction and happened to fall right into the woods. I like to talk to as many npcs as possible so the sword itself and location had already been built up by a few npc characters. I found it some time in between my first and second divine beasts.

With all long running game series, preferences start to split amongst fans. As someone who absolutely adored the original Zelda, Link to the Past, and Wind Waker, I was always more of a fan of the world building, the exploration, and imagining the unkown. The puzzles were secondary for me, as was the main story in each game. Skyward Sword was absolute rock bottom for me as a Zelda fan, as it emphasized the gameplay qualities I found the least interesting while nearly removing the qualities I loved.

Personally, I just don't see how making the Master Sword a requirement adds any levity to this story when that idea has already been done numerous times. It's a pretty straightforward plot device and there isn't much room for originality, so it didn't bother me at all that it wasn't required. Heck, screw it, I say bring back the Magic Sword. It always had the superior design

latest

Anteo

On one side I agree with the idea that little being sacred is a strength of the game, but the game is already far-left enough in terms of its gameplay structure in relation to what's come before it. Servicing this fan detail I see as a point of narrative catharsis for a story that is the one thing that isn't fitting into the BOTW's unorthodoxy and I don't see it downplaying the game's strengths at all. I think it only adds to the narrative, which was by far the weakest part of the game for many.

The master sword is a 1h sword with 30 attack and average durability, when it breaks goes into cooldown for 10 mins.

It doubles its attack against ganon and anything affected by its blights, it also works as a permanent sword with the 2x bonus while in hyrule castle, regardless of the enemy you are facing.

So outside of the castle is amazing against guardians and in the castle it destroys everything.

I came upon the woods by happenstance when I activated the tower in that area of the map. I jumped off the tower and flew in a random direction and happened to fall right into the woods. I like to talk to as many npcs as possible so the sword itself and location had already been built up by a few npc characters. I found it some time in between my first and second divine beasts.

With all long running game series, preferences start to split amongst fans. As someone who absolutely adored the original Zelda, Link to the Past, and Wind Waker, I was always more of a fan of the world building, the exploration, and imagining the unkown. The puzzles were secondary for me, as was the main story in each game. Skyward Sword was absolute rock bottom for me as a Zelda fan, as it emphasized the gameplay qualities I found the least interesting while nearly removing the qualities I loved.

Personally, I just don't see how making the Master Sword a requirement adds any levity to this story when that idea has already been done numerous times. It's a pretty straightforward plot device and there isn't much room for originality, so it didn't bother me at all that it wasn't required. Heck, screw it, I say bring back the Magic Sword. It always had the superior design

latest

I get where you're coming from, and I can see having an experience that isn't bothered by it's dismissal, but due to my personal experience with the game I find that approach sorely lacking.

And yeah, that sword is sexy. Brings back memories to me staring at that instruction booklet and map for hours, fantasizing about the game.

It's not call the Master Sword tho.

The master sword is a 1h sword with 30 attack and average durability, when it breaks goes into cooldown for 10 mins.

It doubles its attack against ganon and anything affected by its blights, it also works as a permanent sword with the 2x bonus while in hyrule castle, regardless of the enemy you are facing.

So outside of the castle is amazing against guardians and in the castle it destroys everything.

I'm sure it's strong, but what I'm asking is this: did you come across any challenges in the game that make the sword feel justified. Did it make any challenging enemies, or gameplay sequences more manageable due to its existence that you might have struggled with otherwise?

Because if not, as far as I'm concerned, it might as well not exist at all.

*edit*

I assume "1h" means "one hit"?

I get where you're coming from, and I can see having an experience that isn't bothered by it's dismissal, but due to my personal experience with the game I find that approach sorely lacking.

And yeah, that sword is sexy. Brings back memories to me staring at that instruction booklet and map for hours, fantasizing about the game.

I'm sure it's strong, but what I'm asking is this: did you come across any challenges in the game that make the sword feel justified. Did it make any challenging enemies, or gameplay sequences more manageable due to its existence that you might have struggled with otherwise?

*edit*

I mean really it comes down to preference. There is no wrong answer. You like the idea of the Master Sword being more integral to the story. Being an older Zelda fan, I remember a time when it wasn't even around, and I personally feel it has been done to death (and a whole game based around it's creation in Skyward Sword) so I don't mind the change of making it important but optional.

I'm sure the fact that I took a long hiatus from the series plays a large role in things. That element really plays on my nostalgia.

In a way, I see BoTW being for lapsed Zelda fans like me, which is why I was hurt by that approach, but I can see it being just as much for people that have played every game and are getting weary of the series, so that's probably the more balanced approach.

*edit*

So I guess they just tried to cram every cool thing in the game into Hyrule Castle in case you might have missed something, huh?

Anteo

*edit*

1h means 1 handed sword, the fastest weapon type.

It melts guardians and unlike the ancient weapons its always with you. Besides that you can beat the game with mid game weapons so like half of the weapons are not necesary. I only had beaten 2 beats and had 7 hearts when I faced ganon. And because of that I.had to fight 2 forms of ganon in the final boss room before calamity ganon showed up. So the master sword is as necesary to the quest as beating the beasts.

Speely

Banned
Edit: lol ^

These last 9 shrines are killing me. I refuse to resort to a guide, but man it's taking forever to find them. After I finished the shrine quests, I had 11 left. I've found 2 of them in like 4 hours of play time, and my map is positively dazzling with blue.

One thing that's cool is now many enemies are way leveled up so fighting them is pretty fun. Lots of silvers. These goddamn shrines, though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

*edit*

You don't need it. Like most of the game it's optional. It's basically a reward for doing a ton of exploring. It's also nice not to need to worry about durability during Ganon.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does the master sword count as an ancient weapon for the purposes of the
ancient armour set bonus
?

Ancient cores are going to be tiresome. Only had 12 to start out with from the entire game so far (mainly shrines). And now I need 14 to upgrade to the next level. Annoyingly I have enough giant cores to upgrade the last level and still have one spare for an ancient bow, just the little ones I'm short on.

If you could only pick one ancient weapon from the lab, which would you choose?

Avalanche

Does the master sword count as an ancient weapon for the purposes of the
ancient armour set bonus
?

Ancient cores are going to be tiresome. Only had 12 to start out with from the entire game so far (mainly shrines). And now I need 14 to upgrade to the next level. Annoyingly I have enough giant cores to upgrade the last level and still have one spare for an ancient bow, just the little ones I'm short on.

If you could only pick one ancient weapon from the lab, which would you choose?

You need the sword to finish a side quest in Hateno, so get that if you're looking to finish all quests. People seem to like the shield since it deflects guardian shots, but if you can easily parry I'd recommend the bow. Its range is ridiculous and super useful for sniping.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You need the sword to finish a side quest in Hateno, so get that if you're looking to finish all quests. People seem to like the shield since it deflects guardian shots, but if you can easily parry I'd recommend the bow. Its range is ridiculous and super useful for sniping.

Thanks. Picked up the sword for that awkward sod, will grab the bow too after any armour upgrades

Chinbo37

I'm about half way through and I find fighting regular enemies kind of annoying. I generally run past bobokins and moblins.

The rewards for killing them aren't worth breaking your weapons.

I also tend to use the master sword a lot just because I know it will always be there later.

Top Bottom