• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Red

Got to play a bit more tonight. Found a second statue of Hylia in
Akkala,
connected to a shrine quest. Still haven't seen the creature I need to complete the quest.

Also beat my second Lynel, a white maned one this time. It took a few tries but finally went smoothly, got in a groove: headshot—mount—repeat. Finished the fight without damaging any weapons, and only lost a few dozen arrows.

Found something called the Eldin Great skeleton, which seems important.

I have enough orbs to max my stamina now, and will begin searching for the last tower, and the three more fairy fountains before I take on Ganon.

I am a little frustrated by the 100-stamp cap on the in game map. I've only marked a fraction of the points of interest.

Frodo

Seriously about to murder someone over this forced stealth no save section in Gerudo.

Every damn time, sneak strike glitches out and makes me do a regular strike, and then I have to start all over. If it gives me the option to sneak strike at all.

Ugh.

It was such a surprise to me that people find this portion of the game frustrating. Because I did it on my first try, without needing to kill anyone. It is actually super easy if you use the environment.

sazzy

Seriously about to murder someone over this forced stealth no save section in Gerudo.

Every damn time, sneak strike glitches out and makes me do a regular strike, and then I have to start all over. If it gives me the option to sneak strike at all.

Ugh.

I tried doing stealth 3 times, failed, and then just fought it out.

<3 savage lynel bow + bomb arrows

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I kind of wondered if the Yiga turned into literal ape monsters, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Note that Link never actually kills them, they always teleport away when you beat them. Nintendo went out of their way to show that Link doesn't kill any humans. Murdering sleeping Hinoxes is ok though.

That and we meet
an ex-Yiga member in Kakariko Village.

WPS

Wait, am I misremembering? I thought the stealth kill actually murdered the Yiga.

Nope, you still see the little teleport effect when they vanish, instead of the standard monster or creature death effects.

The ancient arrows will straight up vaporise them though, same as any monster.

Holy shit this game is amazing. Got the WiiU version, tried some of the previous Zelda games in the past but could never get into them, but this one has floored me.

It looks amazing artistically, it's huge and the amount of freedom you're given to do whatever you want from the start is a real breath of fresh air compared to other games that really try their best to funnel you straight into the MQ.

The grass has got to be the best in any game I've ever played too. The Witcher 3 had it's windy trees but the dense windy grass in this adds so much to the atmosphere and style of the game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Need some help in the castle. Have scoured what seems to be everywhere but can't find a few things (have avoided what looks like the inner sanctum)

recipe book for chef side quest
I found two that I can read but it doesn't trigger anything like an update to the quest. Tried taking photos too

royal gear
all I've found is some weapons and I've taken photos but they don't get ! Tagged so probably wrong?

memory on castle wall
I've walked around and looked at the castle map and can't find anything that matches. Some guidance would be very welcome

I've pretty much gone throughout the
tunnels/inner working
except that I can't get past a gloopy red wall
in the library
. and outside what seems to be eveneywhere except that final little structure right at the top as I don't want to trigger any boss fight

Yiga are so annoying, that stupid laughter and after the first arrow/hit with a sword they haul ass like a wimp.

On a similar level of annoyance as those blobs and these Oktorok..

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yiga are so annoying, that stupid laughter and after the first arrow/hit with a sword they haul ass like a wimp.

Just freeze them with stasis when they appear. A couple of whacks later and they're instantly dead. The bouncing back and forth as a result of all the hits also never gets old.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can your horse die? Splotch got shot by a mounted bokoblin (he was punished..) and disappeared. Went to the nearest stable but he doesn't show up?

Splotch... I'll never forget you. Bob might be faster but you'll always be my favourite ;_;

giapel

Can your horse die? Splotch got shot by a mounted bokoblin (he was punished..) and disappeared. Went to the nearest stable but he doesn't show up?

Splotch... I'll never forget you. Bob might be faster but you'll always be my favourite ;_;
Unfortunately yes. But... well, spoilers.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yes, your horse can die. Can you do something about it though? Maybe.

jotun?

Thinking of playing again with some self-imposed rules to make it a little harder and more interesting

• No food during combat, only elixirs (give them some reason to exist!)
  • Some kind of limit on heart containers. I was thinking of only allowing the ones from beasts, but open to better suggestions
  • No statis during combat
  • No bomb spam in combat
  • Always use the best weapon for the job. No using weaker weapons just to save the stronger ones for something else

Any suggestions for adding to that list?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I have a very weird bug. Revali's Gale counter is stuck at 0. And the re-activation timer is stuck at 1 second.

I have infinite Revali's Gale. Has anyone witnessed this before?

18056359_1473076066099391_1388355799632978171_o.jpg

17966343_1473070769433254_1925329807645069225_o.jpg

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Thinking of playing again with some self-imposed rules to make it a little harder and more interesting

• Some kind of limit on heart containers. I was thinking of only allowing the ones from beasts, but open to better suggestions
  • No bomb spam in combat
  • Always use the best weapon for the job. No using weaker weapons just to save the stronger ones for something else

No using arrows against land enemies (crept maybe Hinox)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

• No bomb spam in combat

No champion abilities

Twookie

Need some help in the castle. Have scoured what seems to be everywhere but can't find a few things (have avoided what looks like the inner sanctum)

recipe book for chef side quest
I found two that I can read but it doesn't trigger anything like an update to the quest. Tried taking photos too

memory on castle wall
I've walked around and looked at the castle map and can't find anything that matches. Some guidance would be very welcome
You have to cook the food from the recipe and then talk to him to complete the quest

Look for a tower on the map when outside the castle and you should be able to find it

Red

What's the deal with the master sword?

Tree tells me it will kill me if I'm not strong enough, but when I try to pull it out... nothing happens. No hearts are expended, and Link finally gives up.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Ugh.

Odd. Once I figured out that killing them was a viable strategy (at first I tried to go 100% sneaky) it was a breeze. The sneak strikes worked without fault for me.

Cartho

Ugh.

I have to say this was the one part of the game which I really didn't enjoy. I eventually did it entirely stealthily but not before a great deal of swearing. The lack of checkpoints is very irritating and it feels very much like an arbitrary fail state even if it isn't technically one. I mean yes you can fight the blade masters but when they have a lot of HP and one shotted me with something like 14 hearts and decent armour equipped it's straying into unfair territory!

I ended up using the stealth armour set and bananas. Lots and lots of bananas!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have to say this was the one part of the game which I really didn't enjoy. I eventually did it entirely stealthily but not before a great deal of swearing. The lack of checkpoints is very irritating and it feels very much like an arbitrary fail state even if it isn't technically one. I mean yes you can fight the blade masters but when they have a lot of HP and one shotted me with something like 14 hearts and decent armour equipped it's straying into unfair territory!

Did you use the ceiling? Doing it from above is so much easier than ground level.

Cartho

Did you use the ceiling? Doing it from above is so much easier than ground level.

Yeah I went high. I saw the ground approach then saw a ladder so decided to check it out. Once I'd seen it from above I basically thought "sod doing that on the ground". Didn't even try and use the ground approach.

Mediking

The requirement are pretty consistent with Zelda 1, if I have understood things correctly? Or at least very similar.

There should at least be a warning from very early in the game what the Master Sword requires. I made the mistake of mostly investing in the
Stamina
field because Link's
Stamina
is vital.

Then the Master Sword drops the bomb it wants
13 HEARTS
?!

jariw

There should at least be a warning from very early in the game what the Master Sword requires. I made the mistake of mostly investing in the
Stamina
field because Link's
Stamina
is vital.

13 HEARTS
?!

Just change your balance for when you pull out the Master Sword.

Yeah I went high. I saw the ground approach then saw a ladder so decided to check it out. Once I'd seen it from above I basically thought "sod doing that on the ground". Didn't even try and use the ground approach.
Once I figured out the high approach, I used 2 sets of bananas tops without resorting to
stasis
(wish I thought about that!). You basically skip the majority of the hideout - how did you burn so many?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Stamina
field because Link's
Stamina
is vital.

13 HEARTS
?!

did you find the thing in Hateno Village that can help you out with that?

the statue that swaps hearts for stamina?

try talking to some of the little kids there if you don't know where it is

Stamina
field because Link's
Stamina
is vital.

13 HEARTS
?!
Don't see how that's a troll at all. I think it's a perfectly fair design choice as none of that is set in stone.

Forkball

I've been trying to hit up some vacant parts on the map. Found some interesting areas, including two where you have to discover the names. I've also been stumbling upon some koroks, including two that were doing the light trail thing together. So when I found both of them, they stand right next to each other in the world. Cute. I also found a (miniboss spoilers)
Stalnox skeleton in the wild, but it didn't animate. The only one I've ever come across was in Hyrule Castle.

THIS GAME IS SO GOOD

Stamina
field because Link's
Stamina
is vital.

13 HEARTS
?!
Well you get 30 upgrades total from shrines, so it's not like you're getting locked out by putting a lot into to stamina.

I did the same and pumped my stamina up, leaving me with the 3 original hearts after countless hours of playing and exploring.
I'm don't feel like I'm locked out of the Master Sword, I'll just need to plough through 40 more shrines before getting it. Which isn't really a bad thing since I'm enjoying the shrines. Well, apart from the combat ones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes, your horse can die. Can you do something about it though? Maybe.

OMG I found that just after posting.

Had a great little run of coincidental encounters. Was riding
giant horse
back to the nearest stable when I bumped into some people that happened to also want to see it. So a side quest spawned and instantly completed. Then when I got to the stable someone told me about
the horse god
. Not sure if those conversations only trigger if you've lost one but it felt great.

Cleared all my side and shrine quests but only have 65 side quests and 38 shrine quests. No idea where the others are. Might go and do ganon and then come back for remaining shrines. There is one in Henry that I can't find - radar keeps fading in and out so I guess it's underground somewhere but I can't see where.

Over 96 hours later and I finally decided to beat Ganon. What a journey that was.

The ending was kind of underwhelming...Calamity Ganon's design was great though. Looked really freaky and legit creepy.

I still have 15 shrines left to discover and a few other places I haven't been to yet. The map shows me 33%.
Truly one of the most fun games I have ever played. That sense of journey and discovery was fantastic.

Wonder how much content that holiday DLC will bring...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was doing pretty well mid-game, but it accelerates hugely towards end game. By the time you've explored a lot of the map and found all the fairies, you probably have enough materials saved up to rapidly upgrade armours and the weapon drops start getting pretty meaty too. The combination,along with more familiarity with his combat mechanics and the safety nets from the divine beasts makes you much more confident getting into scrapes with bigger foe

I loved exploring hyrule castle but it was almost 'comfortable'. Ready for Ganon I guess..

Red

Stamina
field because Link's
Stamina
is vital.

13 HEARTS
?!
There should be no indication of what it requires. It's a well hidden secret and
shares the requirements of the master sword from the first Zelda game.

Ashby

There should be no indication of what it requires. It's a well hidden secret and directly references the requirements from the first game.

Well hidden? I felt like every other NPC was telling me about it, some even blabbing its exact location. I was happy that I did stumble upon it instead of running into some NPC at a stable or one of the village chiefs.

Red

Well hidden? I felt like every other NPC was telling me about it, some even blabbing its exact location. I was happy that I did stumble upon it instead of running into some NPC at a stable or one of the village chiefs.
As you say, it is totally possible to never run into those NPCs before stumbling onto it. I played for over 50 hours before I found someone with even a passing mention of "the sword that seals the darkness."

Who mentions its exact location?

Speely

Banned
Got the Master Sword. Any advice on traversing Death Mountain? I got roasted so fast ;_;

There is
armor
you can buy in
Goron City
that lets you resist the burning effect. You only need 2 pieces, and you can get one for free by doing a side quest at the
Southern Mine.

The latter location is on the way to the former, so be sure to mark it.

Before you get that stuff, there are Fireproof Elixers you can get from an npc at the stables leading into the area.

Edit: this is assuming you just stick to the road at first, which is advised until you get the right gear.

Top Bottom