• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Click said:
Lighter and smaller (costs less to ship worldwide). Easier to carry around / more portable, saves shelf space (both for retailers and consumers), no more scratch/swirl marks everywhere, and most importantly, generates more/new interest, hype, and marketing opportunities due to redesign.

And we still haven't seen details and specs to what will be added, changed, taken out, or remain the same, in regard to the components of the Slim. So there could be more advantages nobody really knows about yet.

I understand the advantages for Sony. I am talking about why a consumer would care.

Easier to carry around? More portable? That makes no sense for a console. Saves shelf space? Really? No way that is a selling point. Just trying to understand the excitement over a slimmer console.

Wollan

Karma said:
I understand the advantages for Sony. I am talking about why a consumer would care.

Easier to carry around? More portable? That makes no sense for a console. Saves shelf space? Really? No way that is a selling point. Just trying to understand the excitement over a slimmer console.
What's too hard to understand here? I bought myself a DS Light/PSP Slim and I barely ever play portable games.
People want new stuff, even if the feature set is the same a fresh and refined version is always very tempting.
The question, it's so very basic and obsolete.

DieH@rd

Banned
Karma said:

Sony are doing this for themselves. They want more efficiency in in the manufacturing process, and less expenses in shopping/storing, and with this they have opportunity for another big marketing campaign.

Banned
Wollan said:
What's too hard to understand here? I bought myself a DS Light/PSP Slim and I barely ever play portable games.
People want new stuff, even if the feature set is the same a fresh and refined version is always very tempting.

Those are portables. It makes sense to want something you carry around to be smaller and lighter.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Karma said:

People love stuff to get slimmer/smaller so their penis look bigger. This makes sense both metaphorically and not.

thaOwner

B-Rad Lascelle said:
So glad I haven't purchased a PS3 yet. Can't wait to pick up a slim at a reasonable $249-$299 pricepoint.
If a slim is announced, you will see at at that price point for a while. Your best bet is the current PS3 will get the price drop until its inventory runs dry.

GQman2121

Banned
Karma said:

Don't underestimate the appeal of having something new. There are plenty of people out there (and on this board) that don't own PS3's. And I'm sure the idea of having a newer, smaller, maybe even cheaper model would be something they would be interested in.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
DieH@rd said:
Sony are doing this for themselves. They want more efficiency in in the manufacturing process, and less expenses in shopping/storing, and with this they have opportunity for another big marketing campaign.

Bingo, and a smaller console means less parts.

Ultimately it helps the bottom line and pushes Sony's cost cutting strategy, along with getting cheaper parts.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
But they should really release it in white>:|

With a thine blue line somewhere, and waggle:D

I don't really want waggle

Click

Banned
Karma said:

I am asking why do YOU care so damn much?

People like smaller and lighter gadgets and electronics. Why does it bother and concern you so much? What's your obsession over the "Slim" redesign of the PS3? How is it "no way a selling point?"

And yes, it would be easier to carry around and be more portable. I like bringing my consoles to friends and family's houses and I move back and forth from college and home quite often. For people that travel and move a lot, a smaller, lighter, quieter, more energy-efficient, easier to carry around, less scratch-resistant PS3 would be awesome.

Again, why do you care so much and why does it even matter to you?
You're not "just trying to understand the excitement over a slimmer console." You're just trolling, trying to get a rise out of people, and trying to shit on this thread.

Karma said:
Those are portables. It makes sense to want something you carry around to be smaller and lighter.

OK, now THIS is getting ridiculous...

thaOwner said:
If a slim is announced, you will see at at that price point for a while. Your best bet is the current PS3 will get the price drop until its inventory runs dry.
Current PS3 doesn't have back comp. Back comp ones won't be a non-absurd $399+tax price. Plus that whole penis thing TTP mentioned. That's sound advice.

I CAN wait when it comes to buying a slim above $299. (Or a bulky non-slim non-back comp PS3 unless it gets dropped to something absurd.)

And yes, I am aware the slim won't have back comp. But hey, at its size I wouldn't mind keeping the 'ole PSTwo around.

Karma said:

It doesn't matter if the consumer cares or doesn't care. This is for Sony to save a bunch $$$ on their end and to make price cuts more feasible down the road. That is the only point. And others have already listed several reasons why the consumer would like a smaller and lighter home console.

If the consumer already doesn't care about your product, why spend more money than you need to to make it?

Also, this is Sony we're talking about. They did the slim for the ps1 and did it again for the ps2. Is it really that perplexing that they do it again for the ps3? Don't worry, I'm sure MS will make a slim 360 soon enough so you won't feel left out :lol

2rny2af.jpg

Very nice. Almost looks like the real thing.

Click

Banned
Goldrusher said:
Don't panic. Nothing more than the elements from the photos pasted together... Quick'n'dirty.

Not bad.
Although, the faceplate wouldn't have such a long overhang. The middle section would probably protrude out a bit more to make for a sleeker, more seemless look, instead of the faceplate looking like a hood.

HUELEN10 said:
How is it ugly? I just wanna hear your opinion.

I think it has to do with the top portion of the system. It looks like Sony went with the cheapest plastic available, it doesn't compare with the glossy,shiny PS3s that are out there now. I sure hope it's a Chinese knock off, because it damn well looks like one.

johnFkennedy said:
I think it has to do with the top portion of the system. It looks like Sony went with the cheapest plastic available, it doesn't compare with the glossy,shiny PS3s that are out there now. I sure hope it's a Chinese knock off, but it damn well looks like one.

So now we're back to liking the piano black fingerprint-and-dust-magnet finish on current PS3 models?

Goddamn it GAF.

HUELEN10

johnFkennedy said:
I think it has to do with the top portion of the system. It looks like Sony went with the cheapest plastic available, it doesn't compare with the glossy,shiny PS3s that are out there now. I sure hope it's a Chinese knock off, because it damn well looks like one.
You prefer glossy over Matte?

HUELEN10 said:
How is it ugly? I just wanna hear your opinion.
That mockup isn't as bad looking as it appears on the box... but I'd find it a push to call it a nice looking console. Maybe when I see what the final plastic looks like I might change my mind.

I think I like it better than the existing glossy behemoth though.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
So now we're back to liking the piano black fingerprint-and-dust-magnet finish on current PS3 models?

Goddamn it GAF.

I've always liked that finish. The dust and fingerprints can be a bitch, but it's nothing that a weekly swipe with a microfiber cloth won't fix.

EDIT: Also, and maybe this is just an inaccuracy in the mock-up, but the the top portion and the bottom portion of the system are different shades of black. No thanks

painey

something no one has commented on, regarding this fake ps3 slim, is that the real PS3 has the text across, for vertical reading, while the fake one has it across for horizontal reading.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Banned
Click said:
I am asking why do YOU care so damn much?

People like smaller and lighter gadgets and electronics. Why does it bother and concern you so much? What's your obsession over the "Slim" redesign of the PS3? How is it "no way a selling point?"

And yes, it would be easier to carry around and be more portable. I like bringing my consoles to friends and family's houses and I move back and forth from college and home quite often. For people that travel and move a lot, a smaller, lighter, quieter, more energy-efficient, easier to carry around, less scratch-resistant PS3 would be awesome.

Again, why do you care so much and why does it even matter to you?
You're not "just trying to understand the excitement over a slimmer console." You're just trolling, trying to get a rise out of people, and trying to shit on this thread.

OK, now THIS is getting ridiculous...

Sorry if I upset anyone. Just curious. I had no idea that people carried their consoles around with them. My bad. I will just except that people are excited and live with the mystery of why.

Click

Banned
painey said:
something no one has commented on, regarding this fake ps3 slim, is that the real PS3 has the text across, for vertical reading, while the fake one has it across for horizontal reading.

Maybe Sony wants this "fake" PS3 Slim to be laying down instead of standing up?
Both the "Sony" logo and the "PS3" logo on the "fake" Slim are horizontal, suggesting this was and intended design.

I personally like my PS3 standing up but if the Slim is smaller, I might want it laying down.
Tons of people like their PS3s lying down, even though it's supposedly better to have it standing up for better ventilation.

painey

Click said:
Maybe Sony wants this "fake" PS3 Slim to be laying down instead of standing up?
Both the "Sony" logo and the "PS3" logo on the "fake" Slim are horizontal, suggesting this was and intended design.

I personally like my PS3 standing up but if the Slim is smaller, I might want it laying down.
Tons of people like their PS3s lying down, even though it's supposedly better to have it standing up for better ventilation.

EVERY Playstation has had text reading for vertical standing since PS2, even the PS2 Slim which probably the absolute minority has standing. They would break tradition for this? Really?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
fanboi said:
I still don't get why PS3 is to the far right...?
Someone?

The logo text on the current model is right-aligned too. But it's far less obvious because the text is much longer and straddles a great deal of the depth of the console.

That said, this is even more right-aligned.

Wollan said:
It might be too thin to reliably have standing up without stands (and they may not be willing to release those again).

I think if it's going to be at least 6-7cm 'thin', that'll be quite enough to have it freestanding.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
painey said:
EVERY Playstation has had text reading for vertical standing since PS2, even the PS2 Slim which probably the absolute minority has standing. They would break tradition for this? Really?
Yeah, it does bug. A lot.

painey

Im all for a new PS3 model, but I think you guys are a little bit blinded by what you want to believe and not what is there. But I guess only time will tell, I would happily be wrong, I just don't think I am.

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
I think if it's going to be at least 6-7cm 'thin', that'll be quite enough to have it freestanding.
Not if its not heavy. Without an internal power brick like the current model, it may be so light its prone to tip over.

I have mine standing now, broadside forward partly behind the TV. I would love to continue keeping it in the same spot, but if it has to lay flat, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom