• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team Franklin and Friends needs to have a Halo reunion. Even though Reach was awful, it was fun playing with GAF. I can give up Persona 4 for a night if it means we can get the super team back together.

They should handle the perks differently if they keep them at all. To begin with, they should NOT be present in competitive Halo. Make them all potential "traits" active in a checklist for customs so that we have the option to negate or activate as many as we please. If we want Resupply Dexterity Stability Awareness Slayer to be competitive, go for it. They also shouldn't be given the on-disc DLC treatment with regards to core gameplay. Bring back red Xs, don't make a perk for it. Don't fucking bring back Promethean Vision and introduce a counter-perk for it. Make them all available from the start, too. Make Specializations just give you weapon/ordnance/armor skins, nothing gameplay-changing. Just call the Armor Mods, put them in a single custom games Player Trait category, and don't allow them in loadouts. I think primary/secondary weapons, grenades, and an armor ability are enough to worry about.

In addition to this, they should make more specialization tiers, but just let them unlock armor and restrict them to like 5 levels, or even make different specialization difficulties. For example, bring back the 8 with their armors included and make them Easy Specializations that only require 5 levels. Add some Normal ones and canonize them if you have to - add Gunslinger, Marksman, stuff like that, that require 10 levels. Make Heroic have some of the better armors, with one or two more obscure legacy sets thrown in - have Locus, Hayabusa, things like that, taking 15 levels. Then pull a Reach with difficulty and add in Legendary Specializations and make them include all the good past armors like Mark V and take a whopping 25 levels. Set up right you could even make it go up to SR-500 or something but still have it not affect gameplay; people would be sticking around in their hundreds just because, hopefully, the game would be fun. It wouldn't be viewed as a grind, you'd just be naturally earning the armors you wanted first. Please 343. Don't read this and then make Instant Respawns and Ordnance be perks in Halo 5. Microsoft needs a good punch in the dick every once and a while to set them straight.

They should handle the perks differently if they keep them at all. To begin with, they should NOT be present in competitive Halo. Make them all potential "traits" active in a checklist for customs so that we have the option to negate or activate as many as we please. If we want Resupply Dexterity Stability Awareness Slayer to be competitive, go for it. They also shouldn't be given the on-disc DLC treatment with regards to core gameplay. Bring back red Xs, don't make a perk for it. Don't fucking bring back Promethean Vision and introduce a counter-perk for it. Make them all available from the start, too. Make Specializations just give you weapon/ordnance/armor skins, nothing gameplay-changing. Just call the Armor Mods, put them in a single custom games Player Trait category, and don't allow them in loadouts. I think primary/secondary weapons, grenades, and an armor ability are enough to worry about.

My ideal fix for AA's would be to place them on the maps like powerups. I think we've reached a point where AA's won't be removed from the game. They'd have a certain amount of ''fuel'' and after that, you can't use them unless you'd find ''ammo'' for them. When you die, you lose your AA. They'd also have to be easily visible on your spartan. You'd know what AA the person has when you see him. Camo and Overshield would return, along with speedboost and damageboost.

Ditch AAs
Use time saved to focus on maps

Yeah CoD pretty much nailed that right

I won't dig up my huge AA revision post right now, but long story short everyone would get access to all AAs all the time. There would be four persistent "passive" armor abilities - Motion Tracker 25M, Flashlight, Reach Night Vision and VISR mode - and then several traditional "aggressive" armor abilities - Jump Jet (double jump), buffed Thruster, Hologram, Sprint, Jackal Shield being a nerfed Hardlight Shield, reduced radius Regeneration Field, and a buffed Auto Turret. You cycle through them all on the DPad; passive are horizontal, aggressive are vertical. Your general AA meter, accounting for both, can withstand up to 30 seconds of a passive AA or five uses of an Aggressive AA. All aggressive AAs require a tap, while all passive ones simply sustain themselves and use your HUD. Motion Tracker and Sprint do not require battery, but Sprint does need a recharge like in Halo 4. To refuel them, you'd have to pick up a universal "AA node" that would replenish your meter completely. To enourage skirmishes, they would have medium-high respawn rates of possibly 30 seconds, have a medium rate of appearance per map, possibly 4-8 at a time depending on size, and all be in neutral locations rather than just "handing" a team one like certain weapons would be handled.

In addition to this, a potential ordnance option would be a "Super AA Node" that allows you to use your aggressive AA without recharge/cooldowns up to three times, but WOULD still require you to fuel it with your AA meter, meaning people with less than three AA uses couldn't use it to its full potential. This would be Infinity/Waypoint Slayer-exclusive because it'd cause hilarious arcade-style stuff like quadruple jumps, etc.

As a bonus you could also toggle AAs on and off per loadout, for example disabling flashlight in BTB or enabling VISR in Flood. To balance this, you would still have to cycle through an "empty" option so that you couldn't get the jump on people by switching to an AA quicker than them.

Nowise10

Just played Infinity Slayer on Adrift. The entire team would just camp at one of the bases the entire game with Camo, Jetpack, or PV and they all used the fucking BoltShot. If this were any other Halo that wouldn't have happened. But because this is Halo 4, when they run out of ammo they can just call in another shitty ordinance! I love just getting constantly killed by power weapons over and over and over. Eventually they started stacking their fucking ordinances so they all had a power weapon and an over shield or damage boost.
I can't stand to play this shitty game anymore. I was so pissed I threw one of my Halo 4 controllers on the ground and broke it. If this update doesn't change a lot of stuff i'm done with Halo.

Funny, as I just looked at the game on HaloWayPoint, and the Enemy team had a combined 6 (six) kills with the boltshot, out of the 60 (sixty) kills they won with.

And this is the first time I went and looked, and Im gonna have to start doing this more. I cant imagine how much people exaggerate when they "hate" on this game, when in reality, they are just mad the enemy team killed them.

stktt

Banned
Funny, as I just looked at the game on HaloWayPoint, and the Enemy team had a combined 6 (six) kills with the boltshot, out of the 60 (sixty) kills they won with.

And this is the first time I went and looked, and Im gonna have to start doing this more. I cant imagine how much people exaggerate when they "hate" on this game, when in reality, they are just mad the enemy team killed them.

This is where positive opinions go to die.

I remember when I saw the boltshot first in a video and I was like "Did that pistol just charge up and kill in one shot, why the fuck does everything kill in one shot!"

And slurpers were like "You havent played the game yet dont worry the boltshot is fine!"

A true story. That actually happened!

Omni

Lol.

I can honestly say that I've never really found the boltshot to be a problem. I abuse it so much that using it now comes naturally before others generally even think to. (210 kills and 9 deaths)

zap

I emailed Virgin Gaming support on the 12th of December and never heard back from them about my issues signing up for the tournament :|

Nowise10

Lol.

I can honestly say that I've never really found the boltshot to be a problem. I abuse it so much that using it now comes naturally before others generally even think to. (210 kills and 9 deaths)

Im not disagreeing with the guy, as the Boltshot is pretty OP, and some other flaws, but literally, the game seemed like any regular game. No, not everyone was using a boltshot, infact ONE guy had the 4 kills with it, out of the 6 on the enemy team.

No, they weren't using power weapons only, as everyone on the enemy team had the top weapon as the DMR, with some guy only getting the top of 4 kills with the sticky detonator out of all the power weapons.

He is just mad because he lost, and I get mad at games too, but hes just lying, and blaming the game for loosing, which i think is completely ridiculous.

Omni

Im not disagreeing with the guy, as the Boltshot is pretty OP, and some other flaws, but literally, the game seemed like any regular game. No, not everyone was using a boltshot, infact ONE guy had the 4 kills with it, out of the 6 on the enemy team.

No, they weren't using power weapons only, as everyone on the enemy team had the top weapon as the DMR, with some guy only getting the top of 4 kills with the sticky detonator out of all the power weapons.

He is just mad because he lost, and I get mad at games too, but hes just lying, and blaming the game for loosing, which i think is completely ridiculous.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to suggest that you were haha. I just thought it was funny. It's all subjective anyway... I mean, if he had been killed several times by someone using the boltshot, then of course he's going to walk away thinking that the other team abused it (even if he saw the enemy team carrying the weapon and not necessarily killing him with it)

Looking at the hard stats isn't always going to give the full story.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
got matched with frankie for a few games in swat. not a very chatty guy, that one.

Started playing Infinity slayer over larger scale games. Started using the BR/Carbine and im loving both.

Nailing that last headshot with the Carbine is so satisfying.

If it gets a slight buff in the update i could see myself using it all the time. Love that gun

Omni

Started playing Infinity slayer over larger scale games. Started using the BR/Carbine and im loving both.

Nailing that last headshot with the Carbine is so satisfying.

If it gets a slight buff in the update i could see myself using it all the time. Love that gun

I had to stop using the Carbine. Too many times I would die because the DMR is just a better weapon.

Currently rocking the DMR + AR now though. AR is a beast.

I don't know if this was posted yet, but this Ghostayame interview is actually fairly interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK8-8clf2SA

--

Also, on paper, Virgin's statement earlier sounds like it could be interesting. Is there anything on this so called "Tournament" app or hub for Xbox Live? Is it internationally available, regional, or otherwise? I wouldn't mind better Leaderboard/Roster/Tournament capabilities and info integrated right into the console, and that's at least what it sounds like where they want it to get to. So there's some sort of disagreement it seems on whether or not MLG is either allowed to do LAN for Halo 4, or they won't do it without explicit support for Microsoft, or whatever the reason is. It would be nice to see MORE tournaments, and MORE leagues in the future... I'm not too familiar with Virgin Gaming, but I have heard a few times that they've dropped certain tournaments on a dime or what have you, so I'm taking it all with a grain of salt at this point.

I had to stop using the Carbine. Too many times I would die because the DMR is just a better weapon.

Currently rocking the DMR + AR now though. AR is a beast.

I was the same, but i was mostly playing bigger games like BTB and dominion.

Infinity slayer, with smaller maps is where the Carbine shines.

Playing on a map any bigger and its just impossible to compete against the DMR unfortunately.

Started using the Light Rifle for BTB, with stability the gun is fantastic

I was the same, but i was mostly playing bigger games like BTB and dominion.

Infinity slayer, with smaller maps is where the Carbine shines.

Playing on a map any bigger and its just impossible to compete against the DMR unfortunately.

Started using the Light Rifle for BTB, with stability the gun is fantastic

Love the LR with Stability, feels SO satisfying 4 shotting kids. Still, I think the perk is stupid, and the fact BTB is slayer only is even more stupid.

Gun is cool, though. Orange is neat.

op_ivy

is the light rifle hit scan? doesnt seem anywhere near as consistent as the dmr for head shotting

Ain't it the truth.

is the light rifle hit scan? doesnt seem anywhere near as consistent as the dmr for head shotting

I don't think so. At least, not as far as I know. As soon as that bar goes yellow, better switch to the DMR :/

--

Microsoft love their metrics.

Now, not talking specifics here, I remember Frankie posting a Bulletin a while back (or perhaps something, or someone else), discussing how the feel of things is important when designing games. They noticed during testing that players will often complain that something is overpowered, then 343 can change something as simple as what it sounds like, and nothing else, and no one complains about it being overpowered anymore. It was also said that this Halo game has the most robust stat-tracking system behind the scenes than any Halo before (again, don't remember where this was said, exactly). And that they are able to see exactly what weapons are exploited quite easily with their system. It's definitely worth stepping outside of subjectivity for a minute (even from the skilled, classic Halo players) and to look at the data objectively. Unfortunately, not all that data is available to us, but I wouldn't be TOO surprised if some of the issues people are being vocal about are sort of... "inverse placebo". Of course, I'm completely speaking out of my ass here, the data is the only thing that can really reveal intent, or exploit, or both.

Anyone used the Storm Rifle and got any results? dont think ive ever used it before.

Also only have one single kill with the Pulse Grenades, how anyone will finish that commendation Ill never understand

op_ivy

Anyone used the Storm Rifle and got any results? dont think ive ever used it before.

Also only have one single kill with the Pulse Grenades, how anyone will finish that commendation Ill never understand

storm rifle is beastly up close - best loadout auto. still prefer the AR myself though, as you can clean up kills from quit ethe distance.

storm rifle is beastly up close - best loadout auto. still prefer the AR myself though, as you can clean up kills from quit ethe distance.

AR is Hitscan, too, I think. The Strategy Guide book says that the Suppressor is the strongest loadout auto, though. Perhaps that's wrong?

Replace Pulse grenades with Phase grenades.

If they hit a player or vehicle, make it function like a Pulse Grenade with identical killtimes, but keep the central core "attached" to the player/vehicle, making them a dead man walking for a few seconds.

If it hits anything else, make it work like a Promethean Spike Grenade that shoots out a bunch of hardlight shards/baby scattershot rounds.

MIMIC

Banned
The specializations are presented in a way that they're things to be completed. You complete it by leveling ten times in that specialization. You're locked in once you select it, and you'll unlock emblems, armor, a weapon skin, and your reward for completing the specialization is a new perk.

Thanks for the explanation! ^_^

AR is Hitscan, too, I think. The Strategy Guide book says that the Suppressor is the strongest loadout auto, though. Perhaps that's wrong?

Here's a video comparing the automatics. I have a loadout with the Storm Rifle over the other automatics because you never have to reload it. In that video, it barely lost the battles it was in, but the biggest advantage it has is the nonreloading.

Storm Rifle
Magnum (I use this primarily, underrated IMO)
Frags/sometimes Pulse (I want to like this 'nade more; it's not powerful enough for only one in a loadout)
Hologram
Mobility (CQC loadout to get within range)
Dexterity (for Magnum)

Other rifles are always littered around from dead bodies, so I usually just swap out my Magnum if anything. I used to switch out Hologram in this loadout for Regen. Field with AA Efficiency for Objective games.

Replace Pulse grenades with Phase grenades.

If they hit a player or vehicle, make it function like a Pulse Grenade with identical killtimes, but keep the central core "attached" to the player/vehicle, making them a dead man walking for a few seconds.

If it hits anything else, make it work like a Promethean Spike Grenade that shoots out a bunch of hardlight shards/baby scattershot rounds.

I want Halo 5 to really get crazy with the weapons/vehicles. So much potential with Forerunner tech..

Here's a video comparing the automatics. I have a loadout with the Storm Rifle over the other automatics because you never have to reload it. In that video, it barely lost the battles it was in, but the biggest advantage it has is the nonreloading.

Storm Rifle
Magnum (I use this primarily, underrated IMO)
Frags/sometimes Pulse (I want to like this 'nade more; it's not powerful enough for only one in a loadout)
Hologram
Mobility (CQC loadout to get within range)
Dexterity (for Magnum)

Other rifles are always littered around from dead bodies, so I usually just swap out my Magnum if anything. I used to switch out Hologram in this loadout for Regen. Field with AA Efficiency for Objective games.

Do you mean one single grenade?

Finally got back in the hang of things. For a week or two every time I started getting shot at I would instinctively bunny hop. Probably as a result of ifinally learning bumper jumper properly. Bunny Hopping really doesn't work out so well for you. Starting to ween myself off that habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom