• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad Blu-ray transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago I watched a Blu-ray of 'The Legend of Drunken Master' which I recently bought and I was so disappointed in the transfer. The picture quality was like someone had given the camera lens a light coating of Vaseline and there wasn't even an option for non-dub. I had to listen to an English dub! I still love the film, but man I was so disappointed in the product.

Share your bad Blu-ray transfer experiences or whatever.

Snaku

Banned
There are so many atrocious Blu transfers that have completely put me off on investing in 4k. These hacks can't even make major studio releases look like they should at 1080p, what chance is there they'll get it right with 4k?

thebeeks

Banned
Sword in the Stone: The Thread.

SWORDSTONEBEFOREAFTER2.jpg

Just slap a filter on it, no one will notice!

I'll never forget that first Total Recall blu-ray I got back in '07. It was one of the first releases Lionsgate put out, and it was terrible. Better than the DVD sure, but nowhere near the upgrade you were looking for.

Best thing about that Total Recall remake was it forced them to make an actually good transfer, and its just a huge leap forward. There's a special feature on there showing the 2006 version to the new one, its like night and day. The color timing, the background details, the rich film grain texture, the contrast and saturation. Gives me a real appreciation for all the sets and props they made.

Loxley

The picture quality on Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is very disappointing :( Fuzzy as shit.

Dio

Banned
The 'vaseline' look is because it's an upscale. Upscales are when they just took the original DVD footage or whatever and ran a filter on it so it didn't look shitty when they blew it up in size. For anime, it's popular to use Q-TEC to upscale the original DVD and then charge 400 dollars for the bluray set.

Here's an example of a vast gulf in quality - the Outlaw Star and Record of Lodoss War blurays look fantastic because they found the original 35mm film and completely re-acquired the footage from that film. As you can see, even the film grain is preserved:

For an upscaled anime, it ends up looking like this:

You'll notice that all the lines look 'smeared,' weirdly thick and have that vaseline-like quality you were just talking about.

The top one, from KNK, is interesting, actually - only the backgrounds are full-res (most of the time I believe) and the character art superimposed was ran through a filter.

kmfdmpig

Wow - I'd never seen that before. That's terrible. It's a shame as I really like the movie.

Is it even possible to watch that blurry mess without getting a headache?

The Beard

There are a ton of shit transfers. One of the most disappointing for me was My Fair Lady. Seeing such beautiful source material get such a half assed, amateur transfer is a slap in the face.

4K BluRay will likely be even worse. You'll have the occasional meticulously and beautifully transferred classic films, surrounded by a sea of lazy ass cash grabs.

Predator 2010 edition was like one of the interns got a hold of the Digital Noise Reduction tool, and just went "REDUCE ALL 100%" for every frame of the movie

The worst. Disney really half-assed their "dark era" film transfers. Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone etc.
I'll never forget that first Total Recall blu-ray I got back in '07. It was one of the first releases Lionsgate put out, and it was terrible. Better than the DVD sure, but nowhere near the upgrade you were looking for.

Best thing about that Total Recall remake was it forced them to make an actually good transfer, and its just a huge leap forward. There's a special feature on there showing the 2006 version to the new one, its like night and day. The color timing, the background details, the rich film grain texture, the contrast and saturation. Gives me a real appreciation for all the sets and props they made.
Are there any conparison images? Sounds interesting.
The 'vaseline' look is because it's an upscale. Upscales are when they just took the original DVD footage or whatever and ran a filter on it so it didn't look shitty when they blew it up in size. For anime, it's popular to use Q-TEC to upscale the original DVD and then charge 400 dollars for the bluray set.

Here's an example of a vast gulf in quality - the Outlaw Star and Record of Lodoss War blurays look fantastic because they found the original 35mm film and completely re-acquired the footage from that film. As you can see, even the film grain is preserved:

For an upscaled anime, it ends up looking like this:

You'll notice that all the lines look 'smeared,' weirdly thick and have that vaseline-like quality you were just talking about.

The top one, from KNK, is interesting, actually - only the backgrounds are full-res (most of the time I believe) and the character art superimposed was ran through a filter.
Huh, that's interesting. I assumed it was because they just used film that wasn't in great condition, but upscaling makes a lot more sense as it is cheaper and easier for the studio.
the fucking worst.

almost unwatchable.

q3N6K4Z.jpg
The hell? He looks like DeviantArt fan art.

jett

D-Member
It's not just Sword in the Stone, most of Disney's old animated catalog titles suffer from copious amounts of DNR, in varying degrees.

Robin Hood:
8453_3_1080p.jpg

No further explanation need. Not as awful as the smearjob in SitS, but still pretty fucking awful.

Sleeping Beauty:
10680_1_1080p.jpg

Even this gorgeous film that got high marks from video reviews suffers from this shit. There's a seriously incompetent shithead at Disney is making this decisions.

Some other flicks I own:

The Matrix Ultimate Collection
650_12_1080p.jpg

650_4_1080p.jpg

650_13_1080p.jpg

I was really disappointed by how soft and fuzzy all of the movies in this collection look when I got this thing on the cheap at Amazon earlier this year. Sad to think The Matrix once spearheaded the digital revolution on DVD. Awful menus too. WB put forth the minimum effort for this series. :|

Master and Commander
nBg61L3.jpg

Man this is just shit. The only visual upgrade over DVD is less macroblocking, almost.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky has a shameful transfer, obviously an upscale:

Thankfully a totally new Blu-ray is coming out in th UK this month, hopefully it hits the US soon.

I don't know if Riki-Oh being in HD makes the movie better.

That movie should always be seen in 4:3. Part of the gritty charm.

Scavenger

Basically everything remastered and released by Oliver Krekel looks like crap.

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky has a shameful transfer, obviously an upscale:

Thankfully a totally new Blu-ray is coming out in th UK this month, hopefully it hits the US soon.
It has been restored in 4K recently, but no idea if the UK release will be based on that restoration.

Predator.

The special edition BDs have indeed been garbage with the digital noise reduction filter they ran them through. Barebones original BD release has the most accurate transfer but it still gets shit on by some because it isn't perfect, but the thing is the original film isn't either. A lot of scenes were zoomed and re-framed in editing (example: the waterfall jump) so there are several with really blocky/chunky grain that makes the whole thing look kind of inconsistent, but it's 'supposed' to.

jett

D-Member
Huh, that's interesting. I assumed it was because they just used film that wasn't in great condition, but upscaling makes a lot more sense as it is cheaper and easier for the studio..

Upscales are used because a lot of pre-HD anime that were animated digitally were "rendered" in SD. Samurai Champloo is another victim of this idiotic oversight. They'd have to rebuild the entire thing from scratch otherwise, meaning reassembling every digital cel again frame by frame as if they were working on the show for the first time. Nobody ain't got time for that. Who knows if they even have the original assets. At least you get less compression on BD... :p

This particular transfer of RoboCop was just bad:

51Q-E--UW6L._SY300_.jpg

The one mastered for 4K that released around the time the reboot did was better.

Upscales are used because a lot of pre-HD anime that were animated digitally were "rendered" in SD. Samurai Champloo is another victim of this idiotic oversight. They'd have to rebuild the entire thing from scratch otherwise, meaning reassembling every digital cel again frame by frame as if they were working on the thing for the first time. Nobody ain't got time for that. Who knows if they even have the original assets.
I believe this is also the problem with the Avatar: The Last Airbender series, though I'm not sure if it was "rendered" in SD or HD. I do know that they lost the original cels, so a BD release is never happening.

Dio

Banned
Upscales are used because a lot of pre-HD anime that were animated digitally were "rendered" in SD. Samurai Champloo is another victim of this idiotic oversight. They'd have to rebuild the entire thing from scratch otherwise, meaning reassembling every digital cel again frame by frame as if they were working on the show for the first time. Nobody ain't got time for that. Who knows if they even have the original assets. At least you get less compression on BD... :p
The worst part is that those movies from the top screenshot under upscale, the Kara no Kyoukai movies, were made in 2007-2009 and they STILL rendered character art in SD and had the gall to charge 600 USD for the blurays. Fucking Aniplex.

Timeless

It's not just Sword in the Stone, most of Disney's old animated catalog titles suffer from copious amounts of DNR, in varying degrees.

Sleeping Beauty:
Even this gorgeous film that got high marks from video reviews suffers from this shit. There's a seriously incompetent shithead at Disney is making this decisions.
Ideally, shouldn't Blu-Rays preserve the original look of the animation cels? It gets complicated during Disney's low-budget phase (starting around 101 Dalmations and continuing into Robin Hood) because of the unclean lines they have in that period.

What film grain would there be in animation cels? Pointing a DNR cannon at the movies isn't the right way to go but this is one case where I argue film grain is the wrong choice. If the Disney company had digital cameras and digital projection, the movies would've never had grain in the first place.

jett

D-Member
Ideally, shouldn't Blu-Rays preserve the original look of the animation cels? It gets complicated during Disney's low-budget phase (starting around 101 Dalmations and continuing into Robin Hood) because of the unclean lines they have in that period.

What film grain would there be in animation cels? Pointing a DNR cannon at the movies isn't the right way to go but this is one case where I argue film grain is the wrong choice. If the Disney company had digital cameras and digital projection, the movies would've never had grain in the first place.

DNR destroys detail, especially line detail in animation. It serves no purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom