• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon promotion has begun - Nintendo starts 'Add color to your world' ad campaign

Madao

GameStop

God, I wish they released Splatoon five years ago when the Wii was still doing well. Sales are going to be limited by the Wii U's low install base.

5 years ago, the Wii's decline had already started.

7 years ago would be the height of the Wii craze.

Servbot24

Banned
I've got to hand it to Nintendo, they're really taking Splatoon seriously. I'm not sure how successful it's going to be, but at least they're trying. I love how colorful everything looks!

I'm not sure if a 1.5' banner tucked away in the Wii U section of GameStop counts as "trying"

Madao

i really hope this game takes off just to shut up people who say Nintendo doesn't do new IPs (also, it'd be one of the new IPs to take off big time since most of the others were small games)

I'm not sure if a 1.5' banner tucked away in the Wii U section of GameStop counts as "trying"

Between this and the rumored amiibo support, it's more than they did for The Wonderful 101, which was literally sent to die. I mean, there's not much else they can do. If it bombs, they can (and should) blame the platform.

DaBoss

I just hope it has mic/chat support.
It's been confirmed there is no voice chat, at least with randoms. Nothing has been said about friends I think. Though I wouldn't get your hopes up about it.
Yeah, same with the platinum games are going to bomb narrative, there's a word for it but I can't quite remember it, self fulfilling prophecy, that's it.
Well, the reason for them doing poorly certainly isn't because people think or say "this game is gonna bomb".

BY2K

Membero Americo
Advertisement already? With only a "May" as a release projection?

*sniff sniff*

Smell that? Smells like a Nintendo Direct approaching.

Smells like... hype.

You know, for being two months away, I feel like we know very little about this game, even though its being pushed by nintendo.

Not complaining, just means we are due for a direct ;)

DaBoss

Does MK8 has voice chat for friends?

Never played it with friends
It has voice chat among friends in the lobby, but not during races. I haven't used it and don't even know how to lol.

EDIT: Apparently it only works in private lobbies.

Chao

I'm not even that interested in the game but I'm going to pick it up anyway because I want to support new original and cool ips by Nintendo, hopefully it will be a success and Nintendo will make more.

JDSN

Banned
Yep, the team, the hype, the appeal surrounding this reminds me of Animal Crossing when it was out, I sense a big campaign to turn this into a series.

Mr_L

I'm glad they're sticking to their guns with this one. I hope this means a new long-standing property for Nintendo.

Oersted

So is this really their new IP for this generation? I think I'll support it more if so. What was the new IP of the Wii, Xenoblade?

Their first big one, yes. There can be others, mind you. Biggest one during Wii was obviously Wii Sports. The one with bigger budget was Xenoblade, yeah.

Ryce

So is this really their new IP for this generation? I think I'll support it more if so. What was the new IP of the Wii, Xenoblade?
What do you mean? Nintendo creates several new IPs per generation. Last gen had Nintendogs, Brain Age, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Tomodachi Collection, and a bunch of smaller scale stuff.

tumblr_mr1dheGwrE1qa6wvao1_1280.jpg
Worked great the last time!
Red GameBoy + Shaved Head for me.

I'm so glad they're pushing Splatoon, is looks amazing and I would love to see it do well. Everyone who always complains about Nintendo not putting out new IPs needs to buy it or gtfo.

DaBoss

Assuming this Splatoon eShop page was not outdated or incomplete, then it is safe to say there is no voice chat at all. And it doesn't mention anything about Pro Controllers, so local multi isn't confirmed 100%.

4sme9Ld.png

hatchx

Banned
Between this and the rumored amiibo support, it's more than they did for The Wonderful 101, which was literally sent to die. I mean, there's not much else they can do. If it bombs, they can (and should) blame the platform.

The Wonderful 101 was never going to sell. Nobody walked away from demos will huge smiles of excitement. T101 is a great game, but it's pretty hardcore and isn't easily classified.

Splatoon has pick-up-and-play appeal, multiplayer heavy, and falls in the shooter genre which is very popular. I understand why Nintendo is supporting it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it do relatively well for WiiU's install base.

Top Bottom