• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

jorimt

Um what the, they have to be joking with that surely or this developer knows jack about pc specs.

Well, a while back I did a test to see how much of a frame difference there was on my i7-4770k/980 Ti between Very Low and Ultra, and it was about 20 fps.

I'm guessing what he means, is that a 1070 should be running at 40 fps Ultra in the worst spots, and 60 fps Very Low in those same spots. It's not unheard of for the newest games to drop to 40 on the newest mid-high end cards (yes, no matter what they look like) in the most demanding areas of the given game.

At least, I hope that's what he meant. He doesn't appear to be a very good communicator, and it is Twitter after all.

That said, yes, the preset scaling is very poor.

I can't get this to boot past the first loading screen. Hope it's not my processor, running a phenom II still.

Is it actually crashing or just seemingly not responding? First time I booted it took quite a while. Actually the startup ttimes on Dishonored 2 are pretty awful.

Well, a while back I did a test to see how much of a frame difference there was on my i7-4770k/980 Ti between Very Low and Ultra, and it was about 20 fps.

I'm guessing what he means, is that a 1070 should be running at 40 fps Ultra in the worst spots, and 60 fps Very Low in those same spots.

It's not unheard of for the newest games to drop to 40 on the newest mid-high end cards (yes, no matter what they look like) in the most demanding areas of the given game.

At least, I hope that's what he meant. He doesn't appear to be a very good communicator, and it is Twitter after all.

That said, yes, the preset scaling is very poor.

Yep I noticed because I tried the game on my gaming laptop with a 1070 and on ultra 1080P I saw drops to 35 FPS which is ridiculous.

Locuza

90tnyls.jpg

"Only some confics" and "engine is a 90% rewrite", love it.

In this day and age i cannot understand why a developer would use an engine willingly (providing Bethesda didn't mandate that they had to use it. Which would not surprise me) and rewrite such a colossal part of it for their purposes. Some of the effects in D2 are so nice and give it an overall look beyond D1 but the performance just isn't there.

Why they can't use arguably the most widely used and mature engine family in the industry with UE4 is beyond me :(

In this day and age i cannot understand why a developer would use an engine willingly (providing Bethesda didn't mandate that they had to use it. Which would not surprise me) and rewrite such a colossal part of it for their purposes. Some of the effects in D2 are so nice and give it an overall look beyond D1 but the performance just isn't there.

Why they can't use arguably the most widely used and mature engine family in the industry with UE4 is beyond me :(
I'm guessing Bethedsa don't want to pay the percentage of revenue from sales for the game plus royalties for choosing to use UE4. That is why companies have started using their own inhouse engines for everything, e.g. EA and Frostbite.

Budi

Well it's true? I have a friend playing right now with steady 60 fps. It's unfortunate that people are having issues with the perfomance but they are working on it already.

This is weird. Sometimes when loading up the game, it will take forever to load ( just before the splash screens start) other times it will load quickly.

Dubz

I'm having pretty good performance. Gettin 60-80 fps on Ultra with a 1070 and an i74770K. Even though I'm not really dipping below 60 too much it still can feel kind of choppy sometimes, but not unplayable.

Locuza

Well it's true? I have a friend playing right now with steady 60 fps. It's unfortunate that people are having issues with the perfomance but they are working on it already.
Well maybe there are no performance problems at all, when bad performance right now is considered as normal and anything beyond bad performance is actually bad.

You don't get mixed results (53%) from 2.300 Reviews if "only some" are having problems:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/403640/#app_reviews_hash

I mean Gamestar, Computerbase and PCGH, all german outlets made some technic checks and that's what you get:
944x531.jpg
944x531.jpg

Source: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/dishonored-2-das-vermaechtnis-der-maske/artikel/dishonored_2,52378,3305144,2.html

It's pretty obvious that not "only some confics" have performance issues or technical issues overall.

Tanolen

Is it actually crashing or just seemingly not responding? First time I booted it took quite a while. Actually the startup ttimes on Dishonored 2 are pretty awful.
It's crashing, but acting like when you quit a game to desktop just finished loading then back on desktop with processes killed, no crash error though.

There is nothing is this game that should be pushing any system - especially with the art style. The game looks good, but it doesn't blow my dick off. The biggest tell that something is up, is when the fps fluctuates when you don't move and look at the same spot. Or when you have a major fps dip and you are looking at nothing complex in the environment. At first I thought the reflections in the game (which you can't adjust to check) because the first time I noticed a big dip was
in the room you get locked up in at the start
, looking a the display case in the corner I lost 20+fps.

It would be great to get a Nvidia performance guide, to see what settings cause the biggest FPS impact - because I try messing around with settings, and notice little to no difference. Also there seems to be a bug with fullscreen - it says it's enabled in game, but its not until I swap to borderless and then back to fullscreen that it properly engages.

Coreda

Sure, what he said might sound like understating the problem.

If "some" is taken as "anyone without a GTX 10xx" then I guess, as those with 1080s seem to run it pretty well (though even various users with 1070s are experiencing issues) but when they're saying "Trust me, we've tested the game deeply and broadly. Sorry some are having trouble." in response to perf issues and, "[a] rig on very low and 1080[p]" should hopefully run 60fps in less demanding areas on a GTX 1070 and 16GB of memory it's obvious they're trying to cover for a flawed release.

I'm not blaming Harvey for this, but along with the no review copy policy by Bethesda it's burnt a lot of people who were looking forward to the game and trusted them enough to buy it.

Enclose

Cant explain but sometimes when i turn the camera ingame left or right, the game slows down in some way. Just like i would play with 30FPS ( when it slows down it feels like 30FPS) but its telling me i have stable 60.

I dont even know what this is because i never expected such problems.

CHC

If "some" is taken as "anyone without a GTX 10xx" then I guess, as those with 1080s seem to run it pretty well (though even various users with 1070s are experiencing issues) but when they're saying "Trust me, we've tested the game deeply and broadly. Sorry some are having trouble." in response to perf issues and, "[a] rig on very low and 1080[p]" should hopefully run 60fps in less demanding areas on a GTX 1070 and 16GB of memory it's obvious they're trying to cover for a flawed release.

Really doesn't seem that way to me:

I mean, shit happens, they're being honest and transparent which is about all that can reasonably hoped for.

Dmax3901

I mean, shit happens, they're being honest and transparent which is about all that can reasonably hoped for.

Yeah Harvey's been having a shit couple of days I'm sure, it's funny to see how his responses have changed though. At first they were just copy/paste "we're aware some users are having issues, please ping @bethesdasupport".

finley83

Banned
idTech 5 is just an abomination, isn't it? Literally every game on it has been a technical disaster, from Wolfenstein TNO popping in level geometry every time you turn around too quickly to The Evil Within running like complete garbage even with a 30fps cap, ultra low FOV and 2 inch black bars letterboxing the picture. I'm amazed that Dishonored ran on UE3 and played like a dream maxed out on low spec PCs while this can barely hit 60fps with a 1080. Thank God idTech 6 was such an improvement.

Coreda

They're putting on the best face they can with a bad situation, I don't blame Harvey for that. At least they're responding to it and it'll be great when the perf issues are fixed.

CHC

They're putting on the best face they can with a bad situation, I don't blame Harvey for that. At least they're responding to it and it'll be great when the perf issues are fixed.

Yup, totally.

idTech 5 is just an abomination, isn't it? Literally every game on it has been a technical disaster, from Wolfenstein TNO popping in level geometry every time you turn around too quickly to The Evil Within running like complete garbage even with a 30fps cap, ultra low FOV and 2 inch black bars letterboxing the picture. I'm amazed that Dishonored ran on UE3 and played like a dream maxed out on low spec PCs while this can barely hit 60fps with a 1080. Thank God idTech 6 was such an improvement.

I haven't really been impressed by anything on it. I didn't have overwhelming problems with Wolfenstein or anything, but I just see absolutely no benefits that idTech offers over pretty much... any other game engine?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
90tnyls.jpg

90% rewrite, 100% of all the weaknesses with 0% of the performance. Can we get a piechart in here?

Edit: Regarding them being open and transperent. Reviewers didn't get review copies, I'm confident they knew the state was in. Probably Bethesda saying "This shit is releasing now". I'll give Harvey and co the benefit of the doubt when they have one of the biggest shitstains in the industry as their publisher

GavinUK86

Yeah Harvey's been having a shit couple of days I'm sure, it's funny to see how his responses have changed though. At first they were just copy/paste "we're aware some users are having issues, please ping @bethesdasupport".

Yeah Harvey seems a decent bloke. I'd like to think after the first few copy/paste responses he thought it would be better to sound more personal. He responded to me almost instantly about the 30 cap handicapping loading times so I have faith they can sort it out. I don't think they'll be able to sort out everything though. Most of it seems to heavy reliant on specific engine code to be sorted with an update. Unless that update is gigabytes in size I guess.

I just hope something it pushed out fairly quickly because I am loving the game but Karnaca is a real pain to navigate and enjoy with the unruly framerate.

jorimt

That is actually refreshing. Most times, people just want to know that the devs know what is going on:

E.g. "We know about [insert issue here], working on it."

taoofjord

Is there a way to turn v sync on or have its benefits without adding massive input lag? Does triple buffering have something to do with it?

CHC

Is there a way to turn v sync on or have its benefits without adding massive input lag? Does triple buffering have something to do with it?

If you're on Nvidia you can enable FastSync via the control panel, which is a pretty decent option.

Tacitus_

Finished the game. Mostly held to the 50+ FPS but some scenes dropped it to 30-40 (very rarely). From a laymans perspective, it shouldn't perform that badly for how it looks, but oh well, I can bear bad performance for how good the game is. Will do a rerun when someone fixes the mouse controls.

Finished the game. Mostly held to the 50+ FPS but some scenes dropped it to 30-40 (very rarely). From a laymans perspective, it shouldn't perform that badly for how it looks, but oh well, I can bear bad performance for how good the game is. Will do a rerun when someone fixes the mouse controls.

You finished the game already?!? But how? It just released today, how did you find the time with work, obligations and all?

Wok

It's crashing, but acting like when you quit a game to desktop just finished loading then back on desktop with processes killed, no crash error though.

For me, it happens on the second loading screen (just after the videos). The music is still running.

You finished the game already?!? But how? It just released today, how did you find the time with work, obligations and all?
The game's been playable for over two days now, if you pre-ordered to get it a day early and used a VPN to unlock the game even earlier than that.

Cels

looks like a shit port as of today. frame pacing and mouse smoothing problems. well, it doesn't sound as bad as arkham knight...
i am running a 4690k and 1070 and i'm not encouraged by tweets like https://twitter.com/Harvey1966/status/797190384564731904 or https://twitter.com/vipmaniacs/status/797180809635627009
plus smith suggesting a guy with a gtx 1070 to run the game on very low to achieve 60fps LOL

people with 1070s and 1080s are, what, in the top like 5 or 10% in terms of gpu power for steam users? and even some of those people have huge issues.

i'll wait for the patch and see what people have to say then, and if it's good i'll probably jump in at that point

also, what's with the jumping from engine to engine? dishonored 2 uses a heavily modified (90% according to smith) idtech5, and arkane's next game uses cryengine? after DOOM's magic i would've loved to see idtech6 used, but maybe that's more of id's engineers being the best in the business rather than the engine itself

ok so i got through the first mission. Ran decent enough although the mouse really needs to be fixed in a hurry. im a mostly high settings with some turned off like god rays and one or two others. i did turn textures to very high. averaged 50-60 most of the time.

i just got to Karnaca so well see how that starts out.

3770k, 970 SSC, 16GB fyi

Edit: Regarding them being open and transperent. Reviewers didn't get review copies, I'm confident they knew the state was in. Probably Bethesda saying "This shit is releasing now". I'll give Harvey and co the benefit of the doubt when they have one of the biggest shitstains in the industry as their publisher

I honestly don't think the PC state has anything to do with lack of review copies. The console versions seems relatively fine (not sterling perhaps but not the shitshow that the PC release is) and there have been tons of games that only gave out console review copies (ie Arkham Knight).

also, what's with the jumping from engine to engine? dishonored 2 uses a heavily modified (90% according to smith) idtech5, and arkane's next game uses cryengine? after DOOM's magic i would've loved to see idtech6 used, but maybe that's more of id's engineers being the best in the business rather than the engine itself

Dishonored is Arkane Lyon and Prey is Arkane Austin. Presumably Arkane Austin hired a bunch of ex-Crytek Austin guys so the experience with the engine may have helped. Also Cry Engine may have more favorable licensing terms than Unreal but I"m not sure on that.

Anyone tried this out?

And is any of this useable for AMD users?

It did not fix the stutter for me even when the framerate is showing perfect 60 fps.

This game just feels bad to play on both PC and PS4 Pro, really bummed out about this, I played the tutorial and beginning of the game but it's just hard to enjoy it when it plays so poorly due to mouse/controller issues. I mean, Dishonored was one of the most fluid and responsive games I've ever played, it felt so good, and to go from that to this is a real shame.

Cels

Dishonored is Arkane Lyon and Prey is Arkane Austin. Presumably Arkane Austin hired a bunch of ex-Crytek Austin guys so the experience with the engine may have helped. Also Cry Engine may have more favorable licensing terms than Unreal but I"m not sure on that.

hopefully arkane lyon uses idtech6 then

erbazzone

Neo Member
Anyone tried this out?

And is any of this useable for AMD users?

Me, for me it worked.
The game still has some performance issues and sometimes keeps stutters but it's completely different now.
Before also playing at 80fps was atrocious, at 40 was unplayable, now is almost normal (still far from perfect).
I did a lot of tests and found all the points useful but I found that *for my rig* the biggest improvement is the Ansel turn off.

Dmax3901

Me, for me it worked.
The game still has some performance issues and sometimes keeps stutters but it's completely different now.
Before also playing at 80fps was atrocious, at 40 was unplayable, now is almost normal (still far from perfect).
I did a lot of tests and found all the points useful but I found that *for my rig* the biggest improvement is the Ansel turn off.

So you're Nvidia then :/

erbazzone

Neo Member
So you're Nvidia then :/

Yes, nvidia.
I like to add that BTW Ansel does not work on this game, I think it's possible that arkane and nvidia have worked for long time on a feature that bugged at the last minute. Probably this afflict also who doesn't have Ansel like amd users, really the game changed completely before even the menus were sloppy and stuttered, now is only a game with still some performance issues in some places, I gained a lot of frames but is the responsiveness that is better, it still doesn't run like Doom but it's more playable now at 45fps than before at 80.
That fix doesn't work for all the configuration though.

renzolama

Yes, nvidia.
I like to add that BTW Ansel does not work on this game, I think it's possible that arkane and nvidia have worked for long time on a feature that bugged at the last minute. Probably this afflict also who doesn't have Ansel like amd users, really the game changed completely before even the menus were sloppy and stuttered, now is only a game with still some performance issues in some places, I gained a lot of frames but is the responsiveness that is better, it still doesn't run like Doom but it's more playable now at 45fps than before at 80.
That fix doesn't work for all the configuration though.

That Ansel's so hot right now?

Disabling Ansel did nothing for my framerate, fwiw

Alexious

W.... Why Arkane is engine jumping like squirrel on acid trip? From UE to internally mutilating idTech for own in-house engine to CryEngine. Next up Source 1?

I'm guessing Bethesda might have pushed for creating Dishonored 2 with internal tech, but by the time they started working on Prey Arkane had realized its issues.

renzolama

after DOOM's magic i would've loved to see idtech6 used, but maybe that's more of id's engineers being the best in the business rather than the engine itself

One would assume that the idtech6 that's running in Doom was not anywhere near that polished state through the majority of the Dishonored 2 development cycle.

Top Bottom