• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Think ARMS Will Be The Next Staple Nintendo Franchise

People saying this won't become Splatoon 2.0 look the same as the ones that said that about Splatoon.

It might not become that, but I'll wait before saying lightning won't strike twice.

kirby_fox

Banned
It's not going to be as big a hit as Splatoon, not even close.

Yep. Splatoon was a genre Nintendo really hasn't been a part of. It had a level that felt like it worked well with other Nintendo games.

ARMS feels like it has been done before and is an evolution of Punch Out. You could've made it Punch Out: ARMS World Tour honestly.

EDIT: I think it'll do great still, just not Splatoon level. I don't expect it to become iconic just yet.

FelipeMGM

Hoping so too. Im not personally interested on it, but new Nintendo IP beeing successful is something I always hope for.

StarPhlox

ARMS looks really cool to me, I'm excited for it, and I'll be getting it day 1 alongside the yellow joy-con. However, I think the buzz has been really muted compared to the excitement that Splatoon brought and I expect it to underdeliver. I would love to be wrong, but I don't see a future where ARMS is the next big thing.

trixx

People have difficulty watching 3d fighters in general. Now add split cameras from different perspectives. Going to be rough watching this at a fighting tournament tbh

Ataru Moroboshi

Neo Member
People have difficulty watching 3d fighters in general. Now add split cameras from different perspectives. Going to be rough watching this at a fighting tournament tbh

I'm suprised 3d fighters that want to be in the tournemnt scene don't have dedicated spectator modes

Maybe they'll include a spectator mode. Splatoon 2 has it, iirc, maybe they thought ahead this time.

It's a fighting game in a a market that has seen fighting games drop in popularity.

The lack of what appears to be some sort of level-based singleplayer versus grunts will hurt it.

I definitely don't see it hitting Splatoon status.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Splatoon was a total sleeper hit,

No it wasn't, Nintendo heavily marketed Splatoon even paying for an advert to be played in cinemas.

While Splatoon added new weapons and maps, I can't see ARMS getting any of this support because it's way easier to make a weapon with a limited set of animations than a whole new character every couple of months.

You say that it's easy to make new weapons but forget that they had to make sure that it was balanced, they also added new stages in Splatoon.

As for what they can add to Arms, well new parts, stages, characters and maybe new modes.

doubt it, seems way less marketable than splatoon, especially with the goofy aestethic...but to be honest i didn't give much of a chance to splatoon too back in the day,and it was still pretty successfull

If anything it looks easier to market than Splatoon.

In ARMS there are signature characters with an identity which can be marketed to relate to certain people. Also the gameplay looks very easy to showcase too, extendable arms fighting game.

But for marketing, it will hopefully be about the characters since that's where the art style shines etc.

hatchx

Banned
You can also play ARMS without motion controls.

It's really yet to be seen how that would, or even could, work. The game seems extremely tailored for motion controls, to the point where the non-motion controls might just be a simplified scheme.

However, Wii Sports Resort had really finessed motion controls and sold 17 million units. If the controls are pick-up-and-play friendly but tight enough for hardcore players, then it will be fine. Big 'if' though, based on other motion controlled games. Even Skyward Sword, which was pretty perfect, saw a lot of complaints.

Glix

Depends on how good the traditional controls are.

I played it at the switch pre release event and you could only use motion controls and it made it play like inaccurate garbage

This game needs a demo. Then i'll make up my mind. I want to love it but i'll need to try it first. I want to be sure that "classic" controls work. I don't really like motion either.

First impressions from most people who tried it seem very good overall.

Kosuke Yabuki has a good track record. He was the director of Mario Kart 7 and 8.
l5c9kbt.gif

Falchion

I just hope it has plenty of depth and a high skill ceiling. Without those, it'll just be a one-off title.

dvolovets

It's really yet to be seen how that would, or even could, work. The game seems extremely tailored for motion controls, to the point where the non-motion controls might just be a simplified scheme.

However, Wii Sports Resort had really finessed motion controls and sold 17 million units. If the controls are pick-up-and-play friendly but tight enough for hardcore players, then it will be fine. Big 'if' though, based on other motion controlled games. Even Skyward Sword, which was pretty perfect, saw a lot of complaints.

Actually, Wii Sports Resort sold 33+ million copies... pretty sure that motion controls being the preferred way to play won't really hurt the game's sales potential. Seeing a lot of replies in this thread that echo the initial response to Splatoon, and while of course ARMS won't necessarily have the same trajectory, I'll just stay quietly optimistic. :)

Lasty95

I think it very well could be.

I think this, more even that Zelda or Mario, could be the Switch's big ticket.

This game has to get a demo/testfire before release, so it can have the word of mouth going.

This game has to get love from the streaming/esports/fighting games community, so it can reach its full potential.

This game has a shot, but I'm not convinced it can be that top franchise for Nintendo yet.

I am convinced, however, it will at least sell pretty well (greater than 1M lifetime).

My fear is that the joycon won't be as precise and won't allow a more refined gameplay, and maybe you can win matches by just throwing hands

Nanashrew

Banned
I think it will be successful, but to be a mega hit like Splatoon it really all comes down to how it plays. Can someone pick it up and have a good time with it? Is there enough depth for high-level skill?

I have faith for a couple of reasons:

• The presentation and art style are awesome
• Helix. Just about the coolest fucking new character in a long time.
• The gameplay was most likely formed in the R&D/prototyping phase, meaning the controls and balance are probably pretty tight
• Nintendo's continued strong marketing and support of the game. ie; internal faith
• Mario Kart 8 team, like seriously, an A-team
• Looks like a boxing game on candy-steroids. It's unique, and unique to the fighting genre.
• Looks really fun

I am hesitant for a couple of reasons too:

• Motion controls.

Game supports standard control schemes too IIRC. But the motion controls didn't seem bad from all I saw during the tournament a couple of days ago on Nico Nico. Day 2 grand finals got pretty intense with smart players. I think there's a lot of promise from what I saw to be a good fighter. Also gave me Virtual-On and Gundam Versus vibes.

Really interesting how Nintendo is now doubling down on the FGC, but doing so in their own Nintendo-like way:

- You have Smash, which is... Smash. Incredibly popular game, but not really a traditional fighting game.
- You have Pokken Tournament, which is more of a traditional fighting game but obviously with non-traditional characters.
- And now you have Arms, which is a 3D fighting game with mascot-esque characters that's designed to be really approachable (motion controls) while also having a lot of competitive potential.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think it will be successful, but to be a mega hit like Splatoon it really all comes down to how it plays. Can someone pick it up and have a good time with it? Is there enough depth for high-level skill?

I have faith for a couple of reasons:

• The presentation and art style are awesome
• Helix. Just about the coolest fucking new character in a long time.
• The gameplay was most likely formed in the R&D/prototyping phase, meaning the controls and balance are probably pretty tight
• Nintendo's continued strong marketing and support of the game. ie; internal faith
• Mario Kart 8 team, like seriously, an A-team
• Looks like a boxing game on candy-steroids. It's unique, and unique to the fighting genre.
• Looks really fun

I am hesitant for a couple of reasons too:

• Motion controls.

There is traditional controller setting.

Sizzel

I have my doubts and it looks like a one trick pony to me. I hope it sells a gorillion copies though and becomes a new franchise.

The more new IPs take hold the more (ideally) new IPs are tried and maybe I will be into the next one. Here's to hoping the Mario crew takes up a smaller piece of the gaming pie in the future because it is flooded with other great new IPs..and a slice of Metroid.

Macka

I disagree.

I just don't think the market is really clamouring for another fighting game right now tbh. I mean, Pokken came and went last year with very little fanfare, and that had the Pokemon branding behind it. I know the Wii U wasn't a huge success, but plenty of other 1st party games managed to do big numbers regardless, so the low install base isn't really an excuse.

Many people are pointing to Splatoon's success as a new IP as an example of why this will be successful too, and I don't get that at all. I think there was much more to Splatoon being a hit than it just being the latest new franchise from Nintendo. For starters it was a very charming shooter, a genre that Nintendo was sorely lacking. Nintendo already has a beloved fighting game in Smash though, so ARMS will not be filling a gap that fans are hungry for in the same way.

I know this is very subjective - but I just don't think that the style of the game is going to appeal to the masses. It's a little too quirky imo. The character designs are weird and don't have that same cute appeal to them that the Inklings do. I think Splatoon had a very strong identity from the very first time it was shown - the music in particular really stood out. I've watched everything Nintendo has put out about ARMS and I can't recall any of the music at all. None of the fighters really appeal to me from a design perspective so far, either.

Amory

looks too gimmicky to be a mainstream hit, tbh

I picture people just flailing around with the controllers a la rockem sockem robots until someone wins

Alucrid

Banned
this game will definitely take off. to be honest with something like splatoon and this coming up and becoming staples of the nintendo roster i think it's the perfect time to let go of old baggage like metroid.

BriGuy

Could be the next Splatoon, could be the next 1,2 Switch. Don't know. I also don't know why the Switch is such fertile ground for all these wild speculation threads of late.

Savitar

I believe it will be yet another niche game ala Captain Toad that will only please the same amount of people that loved the Wii U and not much more than that.

You havent seen much of it then.

The only reason it might not have mass appeal is because its too hardcore. 1on1 competitive play is not for everyone.

Not every fighting game is gonna sell like MK and Injustice.
this game will definitely take off. to be honest with something like splatoon and this coming up and becoming staples of the nintendo roster i think it's the perfect time to let go of old baggage like metroid.

Nintendo is still hanging on to Metroid?

Top Bottom