• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best title screens in gaming

0T25SEB.jpg

The original World of Warcraft login screen is one of, if not the most recognizable and iconic title screens in the entire medium. Nearly everyone knows what this is, and the music of it alone is enough to flood memories back for a lot of people.

Metal Gear Solid 2's title screen is awesome - just plain awesome. When the game first begins, you're faced with a red piece of artwork of Solid Snake. The norm, especially after Metal Gear Solid. However - once you've beaten MGS2, a blue artwork of Raiden takes Snake's place, representing the protagonist bait and switch that MGS2 is so famous for. This also sent people in a wild goose hunt after rumours sprung up that you could change the title screen to a green picture of METAL GEAR RAY, but was quickly dismissed as nothing more than that - a rumour.

From the beginning of the Pokemon craze, this title screen, that followed up the intial video of two Pokemon battling it out (Gengar versus Jigglypuff/Nidorino depending on your version), always was the sign for an adventure you were about to embark on. There hadn't been much else like it in the medium prior to the release of Pokemon, and that's what made it so memorable. Even more people would remember this versus World of Warcraft's.

So, GAF. These are, in my opinion, the best title screens in gaming. What are yours?

Draft

ku-xlarge.gif

I also really like the HL2 title screens that change during progress through the game.

HalfLife2Title.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Cinemagraphs with sound, items in the background would move slightly while ambient noises like the lap of water or far away speaker announcement were played. Very evocative and immersive.

lOTl

Banned
there is something special to me about famicom disc system music and especially the VRC6 sound processor.
Examples of its use: Castlevania 3 (akumajō densetsu) and (I believe) Shovel Knight.
So... Those games' title screens.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Mario 64.

Amazed me before I even got to play it.

artsi

One more notch older Runescape login screen is what I remember like yesterday. It wasn't pretty but damn.

ae50Wsi.png

Persona 4, The Last of Us, Metroid Prime, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mirrors Edge and Halo 1 are probably my favorites.

Some pictures not already posted (beaten on Xenoblade while composing post, dammit!)

Skii

I really like the Persona 4 title screen. It gives me a good feeling (accompanied by the music).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JbvBB2Rjdg

9wtTSuh.gif

The Persona team makes the best menus. See Catherine.

Edit: Helps to see it in motion and hear the great music that slowly kicks in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23V6YMmHUkk

Dearly Beloved really made it work though
tumblr_m0ujyszwoX1qepij6o1_500.gif

These are the correct answers. Personally Kingdom Hearts is my favourite because of nostalgia.

Top Bottom