• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live - Platinum.

danowat

Banned
Thinking about this while playing the 10 hour trial of PGA Golf on EA access.......

Forget about the potential issue of certain devs and publishers not wanting their products in such a scheme for a minute....

How would people react to a new tier of Xbox live?, now that it is possible to have timed trials of xbox one games is there a market for xbox live platinum?.

With this new tier you get a 10 hour trial of any digital game on the platform, seems to work ok for EA Access?

I'd be all over it.

bounchfx

still waiting for my xbox live diamond card to be useful again

I think I only got like four 50% off quiznos subs

I've always thought it'd be cool of there was a higher tier, and it would include fees for MMO or premium f2p stuff, as well as bigger discounts etc.

leeh

If it was around another tenner a year, I'd be all over that. Be awesome to be able to trial every game.

And yes, 10 hours seems long to me, but it works for EA?

it`s not 10 hours with EA games.

Will all EA Access trials be 6 hours long?
The amount of time you'll have to try new EA games will change from game to game, and future games won't always have the same amount of time for their free trials. We'll be sure to let you know how much time you have with each release as they become available.http://help.ea.com/nz/article/nhl-15-ea-access-gameplay-details/

Dabanton

Taking the last big EA Access trail game which was BF:Hardline IIRC you had a selection of two levels in SP. But you could play all the MP you wanted until the 10hr trail was over.

Don't expect you'll be able to play through a SP game in it's entirety.

Azzawon

The only reason you'd get me to pay for some 'platinum' service is if you include Xbox/Groove Music and their own Video Streaming service for an extra £19.99 per year.

Dabanton

I didn't DL it, but can anyone remember what the time limit was on Dragon Age early access.

I'm sure it came with a 6hr trail.

Toki767

I didn't DL it, but can anyone remember what the time limit was on Dragon Age early access.

I'm sure it came with a 6hr trail.

I think you were also locked to the first area of the game weren't you? Or maybe since it was 6 hours no one attempted to leave the first area.

Madness

Good god, Stop giving them ideas.

Paying to play online is bad enough.

No kidding eh? I was thinking of this recently. You end up paying almost the price of the console, if not more, during the gen just to play online. Sony saw how MS was making a killing with Live and now look, PSN is a paid service to play online as well.

These consoles are really nothing more than PC's and it's our own Internet connections but we have to pay to play, especially as local multi-player, LAN, split screen and other things are phased out.

danowat

Banned
No kidding eh? I was thinking of this recently. You end up paying almost the price of the console, if not more, during the gen just to play online. Sony saw how MS was making a killing with Live and now look, PSN is a paid service to play online as well.

These consoles are really nothing more than PC's and it's our own Internet connections but we have to pay to play, especially as local multi-player, LAN, split screen and other things are phased out.

Personally, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to have time limited "trials" of all games, maybe they could chuck in a marketplace discount to sweeten the deal?

It could be a step on the ladder to a full subscription service, a bit like Netflix.

Gren

This.

Imo, every game should have a free limited trial period without paywall.

I'd pay (a little) for such a feature. For all the crap XBLIG had, being able to actually try everything and anything made "window shopping" on it...tolerable. Though I imagine that was only possible due to the XNA platform, & otherwise wouldn't be feasible without substantial effort on each dev's behalf.

Azzawon

This.

Imo, every game should have a free limited trial period without paywall.

My biggest problem with current gen is the HUGE lack of demos. It puts me off buying so many games. I would love a trial service in some form, but there's no way we should pay extra for it.

fedexpeon

Banned
My biggest problem with current gen is the HUGE lack of demos. It puts me off buying so many games. I would love a trial service in some form, but there's no way we should pay extra for it.

Isn't that why Let's Play is so popular?
You can see how the game will play and look like.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Personally, I'd rather both Microsoft and Sony make multiplayer free and let the free games go behind the paywall. I doubt they'd lose too many subscribers and I think in Microsoft's case they'd gain a lot more 360 conversions

Azzawon

Personally, I'd rather both Microsoft and Sony make multiplayer free and let the free games go behind the paywall. I doubt they'd lose too many subscribers and I think in Microsoft's case they'd gain a lot more 360 conversions

I think that would be a bad idea considering people can just look at Steam and see F2P games with no paywall. F2P games should stay F2P. Unless you mean Games with Gold and IGC?

Ge0force

Banned
This is not a demo though. Its the full game just on a timer.

It doesn't matter if a demo is limited in playtime or limited in content. It's still a demo imo. :)

I'd pay (a little) for such a feature. For all the crap XBLIG had, being able to actually try everything and anything made "window shopping" on it...tolerable. Though I imagine that was only possible due to the XNA platform, & otherwise wouldn't be feasible without substantial effort on each dev's behalf.

I don't see why you should pay extra for this. Publishers don't bother to make classic demo's anymore, and you already pay MS and/or Sony for server costs. A free trial period or a refund under certain conditions is the least they can do imo. It is possible on pc (Steam and Origin), so why not on console?

Heimbeck

Banned

Now that Sony has put MP in the PS+ subscription, the number of subs has gone way up.
They aren't going to take it out anytime soon.

It used to be a requirement on Xbox 360 I think early on. Along with the removal of demos and no penalties from MS for patches I think they have gone backwards.

Ever since MS went "free patches for everyone" the industry has been using and abusing this so much.

It doesn't matter if a demo is limited in playtime or limited in content. It's still a demo imo. :)

And you would be wrong.

There is a big difference between a traditional demo where you are limited to one or two levels, and being able to experience the full game for a set time period.

Think of it like a 10-hour rental.

Gren

I don't see why you should pay extra for this. Publishers don't bother to make classic demo's anymore, and you already pay MS and/or Sony for server costs. A free trial period or a refund under certain conditions is the least they can do imo. It is possible on pc (Steam and Origin), so why not on console?

From what I understand it can be costly, or at least not cost-effective or counterintuitive for some devs to produce a demo. I dunno, perhaps it's PR BS that I just picked up from somewhere over time.

But if that is the case, I'd be willing to pay a small amount to the platform holder - Xbox, PSN, Steam or otherwise - for the sheer convenience it would bring to my purchasing process. It's easier to download a small demo & decide whether the game is right for me than full-on buying it, & later requesting a refund (that could be one day denied if done too often). It also means that much less research I'd have to do on my own beforehand, which can be difficult for smaller, unknown titles.

How they could incentivize pubs/devs to comply is beyond me.

AP90

I bet some people would be slightly frustrated as they have just like me have about 2ish yrs left in their current xbl gold sub and pre bought two additional cards when they were like $30ish.

My time is split between PC and Xbox so it would not affect me that much as I would not be able to play enough to make it worth while.

The only reason you'd get me to pay for some 'platinum' service is if you include Xbox/Groove Music and their own Video Streaming service for an extra £19.99 per year.

Yeah, always thought they should do this ever since Zune Pass was a thing. Made even more sense when they changed it to Xbox Music pass, but they never did a bundle pricing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony used to do this (still does?) with Plus on the PS3 with timed acces to full games. It was like 3-4 hours.

Gren

I thought it was 1 hour? Which I thought was completely ridiculous & impractical as it could take like three times as long just for you to download the whole game off their servers :p

Pandy

Agreed.

The lack of demos on PS4 astounds me every time I check that tab in the shop. There are far more on the Nintendo eShop, although predominantly for indie titles there are a few big Nintendo demos in there. How are demos on the X1? The 360 was pretty good for them.

SerTapTap

Wasn't PS4 supposed to do something like this with a streamed version for like an hour, or did my brain make that up from PS Now + PS3 full game trials?

Anyway, I liked the idea of like 1 hour free trials, streamed so there's no downloading. I don't like the idea of an extra paid tier for it though. Would just be even more encouragement to not do demos/public betas.

Because...we need to give them ideas to charge us more for online access?

Edit:

And this. Every game should have a FREE trial or demo. There's no way we should have to pay to TRY a game. The motivation for devs/publishers is to convince us to buy their games by making GREAT games & letting the demos sell the games for them. Their reward is if the game is actually good a lot of us will buy it.

This move away from demos this gen is frustrating & has impacted my willingness to purchase a LOT of games. There is no justifiable reason to charge us for trials or demos. Thats just asinine.

you get access to the full game not just a section.

The Dragon age trial did not let you progress beyond the hinterlands

I want to say that the hardline 6 hour trial only gave you access to do the first 3 chapters of story or something

They are still limited

You should be able to browse a friend's digital library, and download any digital game they have and play it. Maybe if you're online, you can play the full game, but if you're offline, you're limited to a 1hr trial. Since publishers already "unofficially" allow two licenses for a digital game, surely they would be ok with a more formal version of this. Right?

Now that I think about it, publishers would probably only agree to something like this if everything was assured to be under a digital ecosystem, and not have separate physical/digital ecosystems where this could be abused. There's no real incentive for them to support this otherwise, unless they get a marquee deal like EA Access.

see what I did there

I thought similar thoughts, but not for Xbox seen as they already have EA Access.

Given that people are liking EA Access for some of the things it offered and Sony told them no, it's not for us, if Sony wanted to get in on it then a higher tier of PS+ - and Platinum would be ideal given the trophy system - would probably be the best way to do it.

Top Bottom