• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Imaginary Unicorn Game Development Pixie Dust Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I thought this topic was large enough and meant enough to a lot of people to warrant it's own thread. I wanted to start a discussion on the proverbial Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I know it's been discussed (and joked about) for literally years, but I wanted to have a real discussion. People usually just devolve the conversation in to "lolziez nevar" aand that's it. BUT clearly, as we saw with the infamous HD remake announcement from the PSXperience event this year, people really care about this game and the universe.

So here it is guys, every year around this time, I get my hopes up, in the back of my mind, that Squeenix will finally make the announcement: Final Fantasy 7 getting a full HD overhaul proper remake (not an up-res).

I know people have talked about how it would be too expensive, not realistic, blah blah, but I don't believe those arguments. What do you mean it would be too expensive? Frigging BINGIE had half a Billion bucks to spend on a generic, half baked FPS which was even a new IP.

I think it is very realistic, and a project Squeenix should take on. This game is my TLG. Every year, I hope. And in the next couple weeks, we will see if my dreams are answered.

The lights fade Down. We hear the chirp of a chocoBo. The main theme begins to swell. The crowd realizes what is happening, and theit breath is taken away. Cloud jump out from the train at the Mako Reactor and says in Japanese "Lets go back."

Thoughts? Is this year finally the year?

Ferr986

Ue90yn7.gif

It's never going to happen, it's also not that great of a game.

Call me when an ff6 remake gets done and not another garbage rpg maker poop

Andrefpvs

I think it is very realistic

Well, you didn't really present any arguments for this other than "I really hope it happens!".

So, to start this out, here's a question for you: why did they announce a PS4 port of the PC version if you think they are working on an HD remake instead?

MattyG

Banned
My speculatiom is that it won't happen. The PC port is all we'll get.

Maybe we'll see it revisited in a few years, but not any time soon.

Well, you didn't really present any arguments for this other than "I really hope it happens!".

So, to start this out, here's a question for you: why did they announce a PS4 port of the PC version if you think they were working on an HD remake instead?

Could be that it's their first step in the marketing process. Get some buzz around FF7 again. Have a small team do the port, and ramp up production on the full remake. ???

So, to start this out, here's a question for you: why did they announce a PS4 port of the PC version if you think they were working on an HD remake instead?

exactly. they probably have some intern in a small cubicle doing the entire port by themselves right now. there's no way they are going to fund a full-on remake

With the way SE is now and all this extra canon nonsense it really shouldn't happen. I don't want Gackt in my FF VII when we have the best antagonist of our time: Don Corneo.

Cess007

At least you added the "Speculatiom Thread" in the title :p

On-Topic: I don't see this happening in a few years. And, personally, i would love more a FF9 remake.

Nibel

I bet if they would do the most insane move and actually release a HD remake of Final Fantasy 7 a lot of the people who asked for it would end up disappointed anyway since this seems more about nostalgia than the game itself.

Looking at it realistically: no, it won't happen. They focus on new FF games, and that's a good thing no matter what your feelings tell you.

They're not even willing to remake 5 and 6 well. FF7 is a massive undertaking that might be huge, but it might not, and it might perform under expectations. Seems like those resources could easily go into FFXIV, which is a continuous money maker for them now, or FFXV, which could rehabilitate the brand if handled well.

Honestly, the day I see Square-Enix announce an FFVII remake is the day I know that they've become truly and irreparably desperate.

Why do you want a remake? Why does anyone? This has been said before but I don't think there is anyone at Square that could do it right now. The game would need the right balance of quirky fun and seriousness that SE just can't pull off anymore. Do you really think they can even pull off the world of FFVII? The art direction in FFVII is awesome and whenever they tried to do it in full 3D it had none of the charm of the original game. Just let the game stand as it is.

ignata

I feel like this would be some sort of "break glass in case of emergency" project, although it would probably take about 4-5 years to complete, so it would be some slow glass breaking.

You guys have to learn to let go.

This is the typical response. But FF7 is to the gaming industry what Star Wars is to the movie industry. There are so many fans out there, they can help bUT make one. It's a guaranteed Million copy seller. Too many people are fanatics. Clearly. If it's been what,20 years, and people are still demanding it, how can they not?

This is the typical response. But FF7 is to the gaming industry what Star Wars is to the movie industry. There are so many fans out there, they can help bUT make one. It's a guaranteed Million copy seller. Too many people are fanatics. Clearly. If it's been what,20 years, and people are still demanding it, how can they not?

A million-seller for an FF7 remake the way people want it would be such a huge money-loser that Square-Enix would leave JRPGs entirely.

Ferr986

Because they can just put the old PC version and gain more money considering what it would take to make a full remake.

funkypie

Banned
I have given up on expecting it. I bet most of the people who bought the original wouldn't give a fuck about buying a remake of it now. I would, but outside of gaming forums I'm not so sure.

Isn't every Final Fantasy thread about the speculation of a 7 remake? Anyway I think it was tech demo and that was it personally.

You can say up and down it would sell a bunch but Square probably can't sew it being worth remaking it to make back the dev costs. That and Square would want some insane sales numbers.

Mikey Jr.

I never understood when se says it would be too expensive to make the game. How?

What makes this game more expensive than any other latest FF?

If anything, shouldn't it be cheaper? I mean, there is a whole game to work from.

Meh not really.

FFXIII sold five million copies and they had to reuse assets for two more games to recoup its development losses.

People who want an FFVII remake don't want a 3DS version with improved character models, they want FFXV with Cloud. That costs a lot of money. A million copies would be an abject failure.

I feel like the main problem with this idea is that there are as many notions of what an FF7 remake should be as there are people asking for it.

I would personally be down for an enhanced version that gave us new graphics but retained the original core design and storyline. Perhaps let someone like AO Smith have a shot at the localization, and throw in some extras and stuff, but otherwise leave it as is. Character designs, battle system, etc should be unchanged.

However, there are plenty of people that want the whole game reimagined, or at least remade in the style of Advent Children, or what have you. None of those things would appeal to me in the slightest.

Andrefpvs

Could be that it's their first step in the marketing process. Get some buzz around FF7 again. Have a small team do the port, and ramp up production on the full remake. ???

But why would you publish two versions of Final Fantasy VII on the same platform, one after the other, when you would need the second one to sell several millions for the project to be profitable (if the HD remake is of the scale we want it to be)?

I never understood when se says it would be too expensive to make the game. How?

If anything, shouldn't it be cheaper? I mean, there is a whole game to work from.

I agree. sure, production costs are high, but we don't want photo realis tic characters. Just to the parity of say, ffxiii. That's its. Don't need Far Cry 6 graphiCs. How would this be so expensive? iI think that is a BS argument.

Cause it's just PR fluff. The game could be remade for 1/3 the budget of their new FF games and would yield a much higher sales output but they wont do it.

But why would you publish two versions of Final Fantasy VII on the same platform, one after the other, when you would need the second one to sell several millions for the project to be profitable (if the HD remake is of the scale we want it to be)?

To raise funds to help with the startup costs of development on the full remake. Also, to test the water for consumer interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom