• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore interviews at next-gen

bud

You can read it all here: http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2897&Itemid=2

This is the best part of the interview:

On N3:
Peter Moore said:
We had some success with 99 Nights which sold very well; and gave us a good blip in hardware sales.
:lol :lol

On PS3:
Peter Moore said:
Blu-ray? "You can over burden the features [of a console] and therefore offer features that the consumer is not particularly interested in. Case in point, look at the PSX in Japan that Sony launched - with PVR plus PS2 for $700 - it disappeared because the pricepoint did not deliver. It's a very delicate balance between features and price and the difference between good enough and great.

On Wii:
Peter Moore said:
Nintendo? Microsoft is not convinced by the controller's claims to innovation of the year. "If the controller is different and innovative; fine. But I would say that Xbox Live is the bigger innovation. It depends on your definition of innovative. If having a DVD style controller defines innovation; great. I would argue that talking millions of gamers and connecting them with friends and strangers around the world... I'd call that pretty innovative."

On Halo 3:
Peter Moore said:
I don't know what you'll see. You'll just have to show up," he says, about as helpfully as I might have reasonably expected. "The important things is that we have a strong message and that it's the other guys who are launching their hardware and it's their turn to pout up or shut up."

Rocked

Nintendo? Microsoft is not convinced by the controller's claims to innovation of the year. "If the controller is different and innovative; fine. But I would say that Xbox Live is the bigger innovation. It depends on your definition of innovative. If having a DVD style controller defines innovation; great. I would argue that talking millions of gamers and connecting them with friends and strangers around the world... I'd call that pretty innovative."

:lol :lol :lol

It's just a "DVD style controller"!

Wollan

"Winning E3 is overrated," he says, despite the self-evidence of his attempts not to let anyone else win it too well. "I won it at Sega in '99 and 2000 with Dreamcast and see where that got me!

So, he's not satisfied with Microsoft? :lol

Vashu

It think he's afraid, he's downplaying everything the competitors do, even straying off the subject. What the hell does PSX (not an SCE product) have to do with PS3? Why make a comparison between Xbox Live (which wasn't really innovative to begin with) and the Wii controller.

And a blip in hardware sales? So they sold about 10 more that month right? This guy is becoming more of a joke with each passing day haha.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Peter Moore is an embarrassment to humanity

50618-1.jpg

"For the love of God, just take it! We need a blip in sales!"

Vashu

MrSardonic said:
Peter Moore is an embarrassment to humanity

50618-1.jpg

"For the love of God, just take it! We need a blip in sales!"

Is it me, or is he sporting a Trader Moustache a la Fable in that picture? :lol

Shmmeee

So, a motion sensitive controller isn't innovative, but online play (which was on MS's last console) is?:lol

PS3 has too many features?:lol

Translation: we got nuthin' and are running scared

Screenboy

:lol @ pic

he's a lapdog moron with muney stuffed too far up his arse, the things you can do on XBL could be done 10 years ago.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
It's sort of like a politician talking semantics on "Meet the Press." The guy's answers and thoughts are canned--he's paid to spin everything in Microsoft's favor, so he does. This doesn't seem unexpected to me.

"Innovation? That depends on how you define 'sex,' per se..."

medrew

MightyHedgehog said:
But they weren't until MS did it on console. And that's kind of the point.

It had been done in gaming previously on PC's. Adapatation isn't innovation.
Although I guess in the case of Microsoft it is!

Vyse The Legend said:
Yeah definitely... last generation.
Sure, but until Ninty or Sony show something better for their consoles, it doesn't matter when MS decided to go ahead with a commitment to online gaming. X360 is far ahead of the original system's implementation of Live. It's a big deal, and with everyone basically chasing the down the same road, all of the offerings should theoretically grow in value and all-around coolness. There's nothing to complain about here, IMO.

medrew said:
It had been done in gaming previously on PC's. Adapatation isn't innovation.
Although I guess in the case of Microsoft it is!
It is innovation in the console space. There have been steps in this direction for a long time now, but nothing like the push and overall importance MS has given it on consoles. I don't give a fuck about what's on the computer. Yeah, they've been online since forever and there are friends lists/IM/gaming portals and a lot of publisher/developer-specific portals/interfaces for gaming. But it isn't neat or simple for most. This shit isn't just for the fucking geeks on the 'net with a computer. This is about console gaming online and trying to make it work as well as possible for that audience. I'd love to have something as well-integrated and easy to interact with on PCs for ALL games and not have to run into fucking networking issues and all of that shit. Bottom line: Live is an innovation for console gaming whether it has been talked about forever or exists in broken/cobbled-together fashion on computer platforms or not.

Nintendo? Microsoft is not convinced by the controller's claims to innovation of the year. "If the controller is different and innovative; fine. But I would say that Xbox Live is the bigger innovation.
Priceless.

I would argue that talking millions of gamers and connecting them with friends and strangers around the world... I'd call that pretty innovative."
I'd call that doing what PCs have been doing since the advent of the internet. *Beaten^

Peter Moore is one of best source of quotes ever, he is almost up to grandmaster Kutagari's level.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Before the obligatory "he's PR what do you expect" post (too late :lol), we just love digging into Peter Moore because he's a nut with a mission.

And whilst it isn't Xbox Live quality, Nintendo had the whole "online" thing with the NES so I don't see where the innovation argument is coming from.

Aryuken

Banned
So you guys take his comments personally? The guy is PR.

Some of you guys seriouslly, you guys take his words as if he was insulting a member of your own family.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
speedpop said:
Before the obligatory "he's PR what do you expect" post (too late :lol), we just love digging into Peter Moore because he's a nut with a mission.

And whilst it isn't Xbox Live quality, Nintendo had the whole "online" thing with the NES so I don't see where the innovation argument is coming from.

I agree, some of these comments do seem nutty. But the "PR post" is inevitable because it's true. But I'll restrain myself next time. :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Aryuken said:
So you guys take his comments personally? The guy is PR.

Some of you guys seriouslly, you guys take his words as if he was insulting a member of your own family.
As I stated before, no one really cares that he is PR. GAF loves digging into him because he is Peter Moore.

atomsk

Party Pooper
peter moore makes GAF worth visiting

in the last 12 months the thread's i've laughed the hardest at, have all been moore related.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

Nintendos online plan is free and the controller also has a classic shell for anyone scared to develop for it.

He should have bagged the graphics of the wii or something instead.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
speedpop said:
As I stated before, no one really cares that he is PR. GAF loves digging into him because he is Peter Moore.

Well as further clarification GAF loves to rip apart PR interviews from any of the big three.

It's just weird that whenever it happens SOMEBODY claims geez I don't understand why GAF does this.. it's just PR.

OF COURSE IT'S PR, but its fun to dissect.

Vashu

alumn said:
Not any worse then 4D and tapping into the matrix with a playstation 2.

You forgot that everybody accepts 'Krazy' Kutaragi, who really is 'waaaay out there', while Moore is probably nothing mo(o)re than a nut with a mission. :D

Vashu

SolidSnakex said:
Maybe, but claiming the Xbox didn't sell to casuals because it was black takes the cake.

Wait what? :lol I must've misssed that. Maybe that explains why the PS2 sold so 'badly'... Right? Right?

rastex

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
"But we’ve also learned other things. For instance, making a black console was enough to deter casual gamers, he adds, without telling us which colour the Xbox 2 will be..."

http://xbox.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=4781

Well.. the PS2 could have succeeded IN SPITE of it's intimidating blackness.

Anyway, for the people that don't see the amazing amout of innovation in Xbox Live for the 360... take your blinders off. And I've been into PC Online gaming since the friggin WON days.

And I think we're seeing more catty comments from PR all around as we get closer to E3. When there isn't so much media attention PR can get soft and mushy. But now everybody's going to be playing a fiercing game and throwing down the competition as much as reasonably possible. I'm sure we'll hear some more awesome quotes from Kutaragi.

Nintendo's MSN Messenger equivalent will probably be 'pick friend code, VoIP with the microphone in the wiimote; sponsored by AOL'.

Or something to that effect.

Top Bottom