• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog hiring 19 people... maybe a third team?

maltrain

Naughty Dog hiring 19 people... maybe a third team?

Source: Naughty Dogs Jobs

In the past months, Naughty Dog have been hiring A LOT of people. More than ten jobs every month and I assumed they were filling positions on their two known teams.

But today, again, when many companies struggle for surviving, they opened 19 seats... maybe for a third team?

Well, maybe someone here is looking for a job... here is the list:

Senior Sound Designer
Gameplay Programmer
Graphics Programmer
Audio Programmer
Network Programmer
Tools Programmer
Programmer
Combat Game Designer
Coop Game Designer
MP Game Designer
Game Designer
Web Designer
Environment Artist
FX Artist
Texture Artist
Lighting Artist
Marketing Artist
Character Rigger
Character Artisty

(Could be, at last, start designing games for PS Vita? Believe... XD)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Me thinks more likely buffing up for next-gen development, rather than an entirely new team.

More likely. 19 people don't make a third next-gen team. No way.

Cornbread78

More, next gen IPs from the Naughty Gods would be great!!!

Have they made enough money to buy back the Crash IP? Next gen Jak game incoming?

Globox_82

Banned
Go back and listen to that famous IGN beyond episode, yosp said that some studios will have second AND THIRD team. Not saying this is the case, but ND is already at 245-250 people. add 20. That sounds to be like at least one more preproduction team.

C'monnnnnnnnnn new Crash Bandicoot (I know, I know, they don't have the IP). Enough with the cinematic shooters. They're good, but Naughty Dog could stand to show some breadth again.

THE:MILKMAN

Go back and listen to that famous IGN beyond episode, yosp said that some studios will have second AND THIRD team. Not saying this is the case, but ND is already at 245-250 people. add 20. That sounds to be like at least one more preproduction team.

If that number is true then 3 teams makes sense actually. They were at ~70 for Uncharted 1.

DBT85

Yea, most definitely not a 3rd team, unless they plan to get into mobile / PSN releases.

Every studio should have a small team working on PSN releases like Evolution did with Motorstorm RC.

All that talent with all those hundreds of people who must have a fuck ton if ideas that will probably never come to anything otherwise.

GQman2121

Banned
Way too technical for me and my skill set.

I would be perfect as Quality Control Auditor. Yes, this is good. No, that's shit. Change this. Fix that. Tighten up those graphics on chapter 4.....etc.

maltrain

If that number is true then 3 teams makes sense actually. They were at ~70 for Uncharted 1.

My point. I didn't say this 19 people could be "all the team", but if you add all the people they hired in past months, they could be making a new team since some time and step by step...

N.Domixis

Banned
C'monnnnnnnnnn new Crash Bandicoot (I know, I know, they don't have the IP). Enough with the cinematic shooters. They're good, but Naughty Dog could stand to show some breadth again.

Or at least make a spiritual successor to crash. :( Similar formula like the originals with different animals.

Funny thing is if naughty dog starts a third team do they work on making blockbusters like the first two teams? maybe that team goes back to platformers or smaller budget games even. Vita games would be nice too.

Most studios ramp up their production teams right before or after announcing a game. These 19 hires could lend credence to the idea that ND will show the first trailer for their PS4 project at E3 this year.

I know a lot of people aren't really expecting it yet, but I think we'll see Naughty Dog's next game at Sony's press conference next week. Uncharted 3 went gold & shipped about 20 months ago now. That's plenty of time to solidify the idea for your next game and put together some CG trailers. For reference, the first The Last of Us VGA trailer was shown off about 22 months after Uncharted 2 went gold & shipped.

EDIT: Also, Bruce Straley's quote about the game engine going to next gen

"We learned our lesson in saying, as we move into development into next-gen, we want to take our current engine, port it immediately over as is and say, 'Okay, we have a great AI system, we have a good rendering system'. We have all these things that already work. Only when we hit a wall will we say, 'When do we need to change something? When do we need to scale it?"

I took it from IGN here, but it's on GAF already somewhere.

I'm still hoping that they do actually have a small team of 15-20 people working on a €15-20 PSN Uncharted Racing game.

A man can dream!

THE:MILKMAN

My point. I didn't say this 19 people could be "all the team", but if you add all the people they hired in past months, they could be making a new team since some time and step by step...

Oh I agree. ND also seem pretty efficient devs too so I wouldn't put the amount of staff down to PS4 games needing more resources. Three games at a time is a possibility I think. Or two games alternating.

podcast Beyond episode 243 around 20:35 minutes in Yoshida:"If the studio has the ambition to become ..you know larger or more teams...you know become TWO teams and THREE teams, we kinda work out the plan with each individual studio."

Guerilla is already three teams (Shadow Fall, Mercenaries, New IP), which I would assume is the studio Yoshida was referencing when he made that statement. Just trying to level off expectations :)

Globox_82

Banned
Guerilla is already three teams (Shadow Fall, Mercenaries, New IP), which I would assume is the studio Yoshida was referencing when he made that statement. Just trying to level off expectations :)

he wasn't talking about one single studio, but many or any of their first party. That's like saying, when he said two teams he was referencing ND because ND has now two teams(that we know of). Of course that is not the case when we know SSM, GG, ND (who knows who else) has two teams now (at least).

my point is ND might be one of those studios with 3 teams. Uncharted 4 needs to be made, it's sony second biggest IP. While at the same time I doubt Amy and other top dogs want to get stuck on Uncharted IP forever.

Top Bottom