• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Santa Monica Studio has 24 open positions for their unannounced game, which seems to be a new God of War

Draugoth

Gold Member
01HV15F4GZJR5VRJ5697AK1XGK.jpg

Source

Sony Santa Monica, the God of War developer based in Los Angeles, is hiring heavily for its next game. Sony's careers website currently has 24 open positions for the studio, including important positions such as Lead Narrative Animator, Senior Combat Designer, Senior Character Artist, Senior Technical Producer, Lead Tools Programer, among others.

The description of the job offers says that the studio is developing an unannounced project. This project appears to be the sequel to God of War Ragnarok, based on the requirements requested in some of the offers.

In the Senior Combat Designer position, Sony specifically says that candidates who "are fluent in the combat design choices, systems, mechanics, and enemies of God of War (2018) and God of War Ragnarok (2022)" will be given preference.

When studios start hiring this way, it usually means that production is moving forward and they need more people on the team to handle the large amount of work.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't think the series is going anywhere. People still buy it. It's reviewing better than ever. They just completed a RE4 level of gameplay rebrand 2 games ago (the previous template was used for like 6 games). I think you'll continue to see it pretty much indefinitely. It's the PS mascot series, along with Spider Man / Marvel.

Kupfer

Santa Monica has been nothing but a GOW factory for 2 decades and no one says anything.
No true, some are tired of it. But GoW became so mainstream, people gonna buy it because of the IP.

I think Ragnarok will be my last God of War game.
GoW 2018 was my last GoW game. As a fan of the original saga on the PS2 / PS3 / PSP, GoW 2018 was somewhat entertaining, but had nothing to do with GoW. It could have been a new IP, but the name just sells well. It felt like more of the same sony edition.
I could do without Ragnarök without batting an eyelid, which I would never have thought of doing with a new God of War game a few years ago.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Loved the rework of 2018. Ragnorak story writers need to be better though.

Regardless it's fucking kratos though. Its always good to play as kratos.

I am still waiting for the announcement of Corey Barlogs new game. I still remember that there was talk of a new IP and that game was the reason he was not the director of Ragnarok. Wonder if there were problems during development considering we didn’t hear anything since then…

Perrott

Gold Member
you won't see this game this gen
You sure?
  • God of War - 4.5 years
  • God of War: Ragnarök - 4.5 years
Ragnarök launched in the fall of 2022. PlayStation 6, per Tom Henderson, is arriving in 2028, very likely in the holiday season.

That gives Santa Monica Studio a window of six years - potentially their longest dev time to date on a God of War title - to release a new God of War during the current console cycle before PS6 even comes out.

Now, you still think it won't release this generation?

DonF

You sure?
  • God of War - 4.5 years
Ragnarök launched in the fall of 2022. PlayStation 6, per Tom Henderson, is arriving in 2028, very likely in the holiday season.

That gives Santa Monica Studio a window of six years - potentially their longest dev time to date on a God of War title - to release a new God of War during the current console cycle before PS6 even comes out.

cross gen then

Zheph

You sure?
  • God of War - 4.5 years

I think they have a game inbetween but I am no insider

Xtib81

I really hope they shake up the formula. I'm tired of looting hundreds of chests in dead ends and being unable to jump above a wall if it's hasn't been decided by the developers beforehand. They should take inspiration from Elden ring.
Also, what on earth has Cory. B been working on? It's been forever.

Last edited:
Keep doing what they're doing they must expand/evolve things - otherwise they could end up with another Ascension, they could do things like:
  • Allow multiple playable characters (3 or 4) but each needs to have a similar amount of combat options as Kratos
  • Ability to choose specific party members depending on level (or story arc)
  • Contextual puzzle help (so npcs don't immediately blurt out the right answer)
  • Pacing needs to be core, Ragnarok was just too big for it's own good
  • Keep it semi-open world

Sanepar

Hopefully, they've been working on a new IP alongside this. Ngl, I'm also tired of seeing them just make God of War games since the PS2 era.
They don't have enough staff for 2 aaa games. Or Cory game is a indie or is just another gow.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ragnarok was complete trash. Hard pass unless they fired their writing staff.

Can’t even be excited for Barlogs next game has it seems he had a full frontal lobotomy in the past few years.

As much as we all want atreus gone, it's obvious he's here to stay. So all I ask is that we get a time skip to young adult atreus where he can actually fight and isn't a lil bitch

Top Bottom