• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Santa Monica Studio Rumored To Be Working On A New God Of War “Half-Sequel”

Godot25

Banned
Considering how long is AAA development and how much it costs this is nice way to go.
You have solid foundation with main game and you can explore some side story with big 30-40$ game which won't require full team but only part of dev team.
And if you know how to market this properly (ie Phantom Liberty), you can earn big bucks with less spending.
And players will be happy too because they won't need to wait 5 years for new game from XYZ studio.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I guess CDPR could have released Blood and Wine as a Half Sequel for $50 and got away with it too, weird times to be alive.

Dazraell

Considering how long is AAA development and how much it costs this is nice way to go.
You have solid foundation with main game and you can explore some side story with big 30-40$ game which won't require full team but only part of dev team.
And if you know how to market this properly (ie Phantom Liberty), you can earn big bucks with less spending.
And players will be happy too because they won't need to wait 5 years for new game from XYZ studio.
Fun fact, Phantom Liberty and 2.0 had such high development costs (over 80 million dollars) that when they revealed this information publicly and how much money they spent on current gen enhancements and 2.0 version on top of it (additional 40 million dollars), their investors actually got really mad they blew so much money. That being said, that gamble paid off for CDPR though as they not only salvaged 2020 launch, but expansion and 2.0 also got them a lot of new players

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Atreus dlc starring angrboda
sick drop dead fred GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've got the latest news!

I was just on vacation in Prague. Look what I found. There is some new gow game coming out.. RAGNAROK WHAT IS THAT
(btw, holy hell is Prague beautiful)
zf9RvK0.jpg

Last edited:

Chechack

If they still gonna make The Last Of War im out.

I want God of War with epic battles with giant gods and mythicak beast.

Ragnarok was unmemorable and final Ragnarok and Odin fight was a huge "thats it?" Disapointment

dDoc

If it starts at the battle of Ragnarok and they expand on that bit from the previous game, I'm all for it.

One of the biggest missteps of GOW Ragnarok was the final battle seemed..... an after thought. Guess they ran out of time.

Make up for it now.

Atreus stand alone game, I'm out.

SteadyEvo

meh... God of War died to me when it left Greek mythology. Norse, over the shoulder Kratos just isn't the same. Unnecessary open world design, too long, and my lack of Norse mythology knowledge doesn't help.

But this is part of a bigger issue which is ideas being milked dry. God of War could've ended perfectly after 3. Same can be said of Gears and Halo. I'll add Ass Creed as well. All great the 1st 3 outings. Move on to a new project please.

Katajx

Gold Member
Maybe if it’s priced accordingly. Not interested in those at $70. Miles Morales was pretty decent, but I don’t expect to see something like a Shivering Isles again.

I don’t want smaller, short games being full priced like the start of the PS3 era ever again.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So God of War with no Kratos.

Gag Throw Up GIF by Anime Crimes Division
yep.
I disliked palying as Atreus. He was fine as side prick in 2018 game but not in Ragnarok.

And it was only made worse but their idiotic, stubborn attempt at "one camera shot". This makes no sense and never did.
Once the camera "moved" to atreus, you knew it will be a while before it goes back to kratos because they can't just switch it.
And no camera cuts limits cool moments and gameplay imo.

But the worst part of the game was Angryboda. Terrible, boring level and character.

marjo

Monkey Paw Twist: The game will consist entirely of GoW type puzzles, with Atreus providing all the solutions even faster than before.

Godot25

Banned
Fun fact, Phantom Liberty and 2.0 had such high development costs (over 80 million dollars) that when they revealed this information publicly and how much money they spent on current gen enhancements and 2.0 version on top of it (additional 40 million dollars), their investors actually got really mad they blew so much money. That being said, that gamble paid off for CDPR though as they not only salvaged 2020 launch, but expansion and 2.0 also got them a lot of new players
Yeah. I noticed that shares of CDP skydived after announcements from this week.
But the brutal truth is that dev cost would be way lower if they didn't have to rework many in-game systems and get the game out of "dog shit" territory.

If you have polished game like Uncharted 4, Ragnarok or HOrizon Forbidden West, making half-sequel or DLC is no branier with current costs of game development.

Mobilemofo

I'm not sure it's needed but I understand why.

Maybe we could have a throwback title :, The God Of War: All my bitches - A heartwarming tale of all the women who got pumped hard through the ages. He recounts his numerous STDs, the women he picked up at his boys school, when he was younger. Ad a bit of Burt Bacharach, luthor vandross, throw in some posing in the mirror style montages, bang...

Winning. 😄

Last edited:

Dazraell

Yeah. I noticed that shares of CDP skydived after announcements from this week.
But the brutal truth is that dev cost would be way lower if they didn't have to rework many in-game systems and get the game out of "dog shit" territory.

If you have polished game like Uncharted 4, Ragnarok or HOrizon Forbidden West, making half-sequel or DLC is no branier with current costs of game development.
Yeah, definitely. It's a good way of extending game's lifecycle and fill the release schedule to the next full release. Idris Elba and Keanu Reeves fees probably weren't cheap either, so I guess these also added fair share to the budget

Last edited:

Madflavor

Atreus is not an interesting or fun enough character to star in a sequel. He's a decent side character, but no leading man.

yansolo

im probably in the minority here but i disliked the direction they took with god of war(ps4), found the gameplay boring and other than 2-3 scenes the cutscenes and story were meh so i didnt bother with ragnarok. Would prefer it if they went back to the craziness and over the top bossfights of the og trilogy, but i know they wont. I hope Kratos sticks around though, Atreus is a terrible character.

Top Bottom