• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA: "No longer possible" for consoles to have better graphics than PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Banned
With AMD tech powering the next generation consoles, NVIDIA explains why PC gaming won’t lag behind.

Bennett Ring speaks with NVIDIA’s Senior Vice President of Content and Technology, Tony Tamasi, about the impact the next generation consoles will have on the PC.

PCPP: In the past, when a new console launched, the graphics were on par, if not even better, than a reasonably well-specced PC of the time. Yet at this year’s E3, we noticed that the Xbox One and PS4 demos didn’t look as good as the earlier PC demos of the same games. Do you think the lead that consoles had in the past at launch day is over?

Tamasi: It’s no longer possible for a console to be a better or more capable graphics platform than the PC. I’ll tell you why. In the past, certainly with the first PlayStation and PS2, in that era there weren’t really good graphics on the PC. Around the time of the PS2 is when 3D really started coming to the PC, but before that time 3D was the domain of Silicon Graphics and other 3D workstations. Sony, Sega or Nintendo could invest in bringing 3D graphics to a consumer platform. In fact, the PS2 was faster than a PC.

By the time of the Xbox 360 and PS3, the consoles were on par with the PC. If you look inside those boxes, they’re both powered by graphics technology by AMD or NVIDIA, because by that time all the graphics innovation was being done by PC graphics companies. NVIDIA spends 1.5 billion US dollars per year on research and development in graphics, every year, and in the course of a console’s lifecycle we’ll spend over 10 billion dollars into graphics research. Sony and Microsoft simply can’t afford to spend that kind of money. They just don’t have the investment capacity to match the PC guys; we can do it thanks to economy of scale, as we sell hundreds of millions of chips, year after year.

“It’s no longer possible for a console to be a better or more capable graphics platform than the PC”

The second factor is that everything is limited by power these days. If you want to go faster, you need a more efficient design or a bigger power supply. The laws of physics dictate that the amount of performance you’re going to get from graphics is a function of the efficiency of the architecture, and how much power budget you’re willing to give it. The most efficient architectures are from NVIDIA and AMD, and you’re not going to get anything that is significantly more power efficient in a console, as it’s using the same core technology. Yet the consoles have power budgets of only 200 or 300 Watts, so they can put them in the living room, using small fans for cooling, yet run quietly and cool. And that’s always going to be less capable than a PC, where we spend 250W just on the GPU. There’s no way a 200W Xbox is going to be beat a 1000W PC.

More here: Link

I know that you can build a stronger Gaming PC, so he is right, but..... NVIDIA's "anti-console" BS lately is rather annoying.
They should start to STFU already. Show more class (which is better PR) and stop with the bitterness.

Manu

Their statements have reeked of "PC MASTER RACE LOL" for some time now.

EDIT: There's a difference between saying "we offer a product for those who want the highest end graphics and performance" and "now look at those poor, underpowered consoles. The poor things, trying to be PCs, lol."

Addnan

Well he's not wrong.

They will obviously be "anti-console". What do you want them to say, the PS4/Xbox is a great piece of hardware. So good in fact that you shouldn't buy our hardware?

Rafterman

Banned

I know that you can build a stronger Gaming PC, so he is right, but..... NVIDIA's "anti-console" BS lately is rather annoying.
They should start to STFU already.
Show more class (which is better PR) and stop with the bitterness.

Yeah, let's take a link off of a PC gaming site and whine about PC hardware manufacturer letting people know that there is nothing to worry about.

Makes sense.

Oh, and like you said...he's right, so why is everyone so mad?

Eusis

Wasn't the only time this may've really applied was perhaps the 8-bit through 32-bit days, and the former two ONLY by merit of smooth scrolling while the PC was capable of more colorful, detailed, and simply larger games? And 32-bit only because 3D was just starting to take off on PCs, by the time real 3D hardware was hitting PCs... well, it was practically a generational leap. Actually, even by software rendering the PC could match up with consoles well, Quake was quite impressive from a technical angle even if artistically it's more of a hideous charm at best.

EDIT: I suppose there is something to be said about specialized hardware and how that's more or less a non-factor on consoles now. But at some point pursuing that really isn't practical, ergo Cerny pushing so hard to move to x86 for PS4.

cheezcake

They should start to STFU already. Show more class (which is better PR) and stop with the bitterness.

Yet at this year’s E3, we noticed that the Xbox One and PS4 demos didn’t look as good as the earlier PC demos of the same games. Do you think the lead that consoles had in the past at launch day is over?

That leading question.

I don't know what the fuck he is talking about... there were always pc's that were more powerful than consoles when they launched. It was just a matter of how much money you were willing to pay.

It's not different now. You can drop a couple grand on 2 gpu's and another grand on a motherboard, ram, power supply and cpu and kick the fuck out of the ps4. But that's not exactly in a consumer friendly price range.

The PC will always be king when it comes to graphic fidelity, if you have the cash. Always has, always will. Well maybe not always will when we all have apple chips wired into our spines, but you know what i mean.

How is this is "anti-console BS" again?

This wouldn't be anti-console BS if Nvidia were supplying hardware for the next generation consoles too. It's simple, their biggest competitor in the GPU field is supplying hardware for all three consoles and well... something something, salty, something something.

pa22word

I know everyone and their grandmother are going to be coming in here throwing around the FGC's insult of the week, but nothing he's saying is out there. People such as Carmack have been saying this for what seems like years now.

Stimpack

Read about that on Blue's yesterday, and it is definitely annoying. Nvidia has been shoveling this kind of stuff out for a while now. If you look at what they've been doing, it's obvious to see why they would be acting like this in such an aggressive manner. I'm under the impression that there really is no good PR for anyone, honestly.

Paz

Reall wish people would stop replying based on the thread title, that was a very reasonable and well explained explanation from nvidia and totally accurate, why do you think all three platforms are using pc hardware this generation?

Bundy

Banned
How is this is "anti-console BS" again?
Reall wish people would stop replying based on the thread title, that was a very reasonable and well explained explanation from nvidia and totally accurate, why do you think all three platforms are using pc hardware this generation?
Yeah, let's take a link off of a PC gaming site and whine about PC hardware manufacturer letting people know that there is nothing to worry about.
Makes sense.
Oh, and like you said...he's right, so why is everyone so mad?

Check their articles/interviews since the PS4/XBone reveal.
It's bitterness, bitterness, bitterness, flaming, flaming, flaming.
This here is a rather innocent interview, but after all their comments lately..... you know what they are trying to achieve here.

Don't get me wrong.
I'm happy with my GTX770. Doesn't change the fact that their anti-console BS is annoying as hell. Grow up (NVIDIA)!

Dougald

Before the PS2 3D wasn't really in the PC? I guess nvidia would say that, because they never became a major player until they acquired 3dfx in around 2000 or so.

I'm sure this statement has *nothing* to do with the fact that AMD underbid them for all 3 next-gen consoles

Arklite

I don't remember Nvidia ever giving much of a shit about console comparisons until their chips were completely out of the game. Now it's like once a month we get some nose thumbing from them.

NVIDIA: "No longer possible" for consoles to have better graphics than PC

When was it ever possible before? o_O

Also whats with the Nvidia salt comments? Didnt they make money in their last report and AMD lose money?

Sibylus

Banned
Whilst true, I'll be rolling my eyes hard if they won't be stepping up to the plate with this whole Linux push. ATI are, and that's with their Xbone and PS4 contracts.

Money. Mouth. Let's go.

Valnen

Their statements have reeked of "PC MASTER RACE LOL" for some time now.

EDIT: There's a difference between saying "we offer a product for those who want the highest end graphics and performance" and "now look at those poor, underpowered consoles. The poor things, trying to be PCs, lol."

Well technically they're right. Their products are more powerful.

LOL. Nvidia's getting desperate. They are suddenly trying to suck up to SteamOS/Linux (even tho they have the best drivers, their relations to Linux kernel community is pretty shitty) and trying to downplay consoles.

Bundy

Banned
Also whats with the Nvidia salt comments? Didnt they make money in their last report and AMD lose money?
MS dropped them and one gen later, SONY dropped them, too.
It's HELL to work with NVIDIA (wish I could find the old article from an ex-MS guy) and their stuff is overpriced. MS and SONY said FU to them.
And since then.... you hear one anti-console comment after another.
OP sounds just as salty/bitter
Bitter because? MS and SONY are laughing all their way to the bank.
AMD was the better deal for them (and AMD is happy).

Eusis

Ohh wait now I'm REALLY paying attention to this.

Tamasi: It’s no longer possible for a console to be a better or more capable graphics platform than the PC. I’ll tell you why. In the past, certainly with the first PlayStation and PS2, in that era there weren’t really good graphics on the PC. Around the time of the PS2 is when 3D really started coming to the PC, but before that time 3D was the domain of Silicon Graphics and other 3D workstations. Sony, Sega or Nintendo could invest in bringing 3D graphics to a consumer platform. In fact, the PS2 was faster than a PC.

Ok, Deus Ex hit months after the PS2 hit in Japan, and took years to come to PS2... but significantly compromised due to needing smaller stages, and it took the DC and PS2 to receive HL ports that were just ahead of PC and I think the ports ran at 30 FPS rather than 60 or anything, and HL was a game that hit right at the peak of the 32-bit generation (1998.) As noted it's a question of affordability, and perhaps you CAN get a closer PC to PS4/XB1 at $400 than you could have a $300 PC in 1995 or 2000, but in the end it's the same: PC leads the technical charge, consoles are the compromise between affordability and playability (nevermind the plug-and-play angle) for mainstream accessibility.

Frankly, I wonder if this guy paid any damn attention at that time. Though in the late 90s Voodoo was the big thing, PowerVR was relevant as a PC choice, and nVidia was just getting started with the Riva TNT line but only hit it big with GeForce which I believe hit AFTER PS2. Yeah, that'd skew their world view if they weren't digging up information in preparation.

Munin

Check their articles/interviews since the PS4/XBone reveal.
It's bitterness, bitterness, bitterness, flaming, flaming, flaming.
This here is a rather innocent interview, but after all their comments lately..... you know what they are trying to achieve here.

Don't get me wrong.
I'm happy with my GTX770. Doesn't change the fact that their anti-console BS is annoying as hell. Grow up (NVIDIA)!

Lolwat.

They are just stating simple facts

Well, and a bad news Nvidia, like all the next gen games will be developed primarily on consoles based on AMD tech the PC versions of these games will work better with an AMD architecture.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So salty, if only they were losing money and desperate like AMD.

Oh and if anyone is salty it's the OP, there was nothing wrong with what he said at all.

TheD

The Detective
Well, and a bad news Nvidia, like all the next gen games will be developed primarily on consoles based on AMD tech the PC versions of these games will work better with an AMD architecture.

That is not even close to true.
Nvidia has lots of dev influence and has a bigger market share than AMD, they will not be left in the cold.

KKRT00

What wrong with this quote again? He was asked a question and answered it and his answer is correct.
He should say something other than what he said?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom