• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

duckroll

Adam Brennecke is heading up our production and tasking efforts – he’s where we’ve gotten most of our Kickstarter metrics and planning.

Josh Sawyer is our project lead and he’s laying out world elements, races, and systems, I’m working on narrative approaches and character concepting – which should be up this week -Rob Nesler is setting up the visual look and feel of the game, and Tim Cain is working on a number of design elements of the game, including basic stats and armor mechanics, as well as ideas for non-combat ability design.

In addition to the folks above, we have a number of other Obsidianites are working on gameplay and graphics, which you’ll see samples of in the days to come.

Nice, nice, nice. Looks like they're really going to have a lot more to show as the weeks go by. Speaking of which, they should be talking about tech today right? I wonder if they'll touch on modding...

Lime

People or sites who speak ill of Alpha Protocol are people with whom I violently disagree when it comes to RPGs.

Character art style was unevenly terrible, the setting was nothing to write home about, and the actual gun play was roughly executed.

Zeliard

Josh Sawyer is our project lead and he’s laying out world elements, races, and systems

I’m working on narrative approaches and character concepting – which should be up this week

Tim Cain is working on a number of design elements of the game, including basic stats and armor mechanics, as well as ideas for non-combat ability design

CRPG dream team.

Can't wait for the Avellone Update.

Character art style was unevenly terrible, the setting was nothing to write home about, and the actual gun play was roughly executed.

It has its issues, but its reactive elements are perhaps unparalleled, the characters are strong, and it has a wonderful dialogue system.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
And they end the update with a weekend cliffhanger. I wonder what they are going to add to the $2.2 million goal that is going to get its own status update.

xenist

The art style being terrible is subjective. The setting being nothing to write home about I don't get. It didn't have gun play, at least as third person shooters do. It's stats and dicerolls. Just because it looks kinda like Mass Effect doesn't mean it must play like it.

Corto

They could even go and port it to Wii U. PE on that touch screen.

Never gonna happen. :)

Unity...dare we breath about a WiiU port? :p

Though Avellone made a seamingly damning comment against consoles, I think that it was more directed at developing a game from start with consoles in mind. A console port after the game released on PC/Mac/Linux could be a possibility... I seem to remember Feargus making a comment on those lines.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Some random-ass comments on the update. One guy wrote like 200 words basically extolling how Macs and PCs are good at different things, including looking at their history, and as far as I can tell its not in response to anything.

Nice. I sort of called this, I guess.

Every update has just made me more and more excited. If I had a heart problem, I'd probably have to stop reading them if I wanted to live long enough to play the game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I was going to mention it earlier, but I thought it would be a bad time. But one of the Stretch Goals, or future goals. Should be a Tablet port of the game. Get it out on Ipad and Windows Tablets for portable.

Though Avellone made a seamingly damning comment against consoles, I think that it was more directed at developing a game from start with consoles in mind. A console port after the game released on PC/Mac/Linux could be a possibility... I seem to remember Feargus making a comment on those lines.

I see it as more of an easy to use engine, that will allow them to go in any direction given without much back work. Largely it allows for Android, Ipad, and Linux outside of Mac and PC. They can cover all the operating systems then.
No real indication that they are designing this at all with consoles in mind. But just a move to not leave any doors closed either.

Speaking a bit more, why waste the money towards consoles? Unless the systems drastically change to be more PC like. Its still largely for 20$ and under small titles while being publisher dominated. Turn on any of the 3 systems and a title like this, you wouldn't even know it was out.

Lancehead

I was going to mention it earlier, but I thought it would be a bad time. But one of the Stretch Goals, or future goals. Should be a Tablet port of the game.

Sawyer's a fan of isometric games on tablets. So while it may not be a stretch goal, a tablet port is quite possible down the road.

Perkel

Banned
Ok someone enlight me !

They can do 2D background and 3d characters game in Unity ? Avellone posted this in one of his interviews what he think about 2D and 3D:

icewind-dale-wyrms-tooth.jpg

From now on i will be spamming their forum begging to polish responsiveness of controls because most of 2D with 3d Characters and 3D games responsiveness is mayor shit in comparition to IE games.

Well, if the questions that I've asked are of any indication, Obsidian is going to try their best to ensure that the game runs on as many systems as possible, and as well as possible. They're targeting integrated chips too, and not just for lowest settings. Got this in my Kickstarter inbox.

Feargus said:
HI ***,

We are really going to work to get the integrated graphics chips to run the game well - and not just on the lowest setting.

Thanks again for the support!

-Feargus

Lancehead

Ok someone enlight me !

They can do 2D background and 3d characters game in Unity ? Avellone posted this in one of his interviews what he think about 2D and 3D:

From now on i will be spamming their forum begging to polish responsiveness of controls because most of 2D with 3d Characters and 3D games responsiveness is mayor shit in comparition to IE games.

Sacred comes to mind. What a mess that game is performance wise.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Prefer having a world that’s not limited by console memory? ‘Twould be our pleasure x2. We couldn’t have made many of the locations in Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment in a current console-gen title without blowing out the memory or making compromises, but in a game like this, we have more freedom to effectively paint a landscape for a player to explore.

looking forward to next-gen
lol, not really, it's already here

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ok someone enlight me !

Give Temple of Elemental Evil a try, it did 3d characters on a 2d background quite well.

Xater

Just got their newest update and they are using Unity, as expected. I just could not see another option. It's cheap, versatile and works on all platforms.

Also Linux is no longer a stretch goal but it's happening even if we don't reach the 2.2 million.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
VG247: At what point did you decide you wanted to take the Kickstarter route? You have to imagine that all of this would have been a hard to do precisely the way you wanted under a big publisher.

Avellone: A few months ago. Exhaustion with the pitch process was part of it. We’ve been pitching titles for months upon months upon months upon months, and even then, none of them are isometric RPGs that we used to do and love.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/21/project_eternity_kickstarter_obsidian_entertainment_interview/

I'm fairly worried about what is going to happen to the rest of Obsidian after South Park ships. :(

Polk

I wonder if there will be some colaboration between W2 and PE teams in tools creation. AFAIR both will be using Unity.

I've been getting way too many emails from Kickstarter, this one finally compelled me to change my notification settings. Just tell me when the game's done!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
"... guest stars????!!!!" The Ex-Bioware Doctors? hehehe

you may laugh but it would earn them some additional backers if The Doctors would go like "we want to make a small game, i.e. A REAL RPG LIKE WE USED TO". Except The Doctors aren't designers so this won't happen.

But I wouldn't mind The Doctors on the project. I don't think they are remotely interested in it though.

ah, the doctors.... what a shame.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just got their newest update and they are using Unity, as expected. I just could not see another option. It's cheap, versatile and works on all platforms.

Also Linux is no longer a stretch goal but it's happening even if we don't reach the 2.2 million.

They were likely to hit 2.2 million anyway. It makes sense to just ditch the stretch goal and get those people who would contribute once it was guaranteed to go ahead and pledge now.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/21/project_eternity_kickstarter_obsidian_entertainment_interview/

I'm fairly worried about what is going to happen to the rest of Obsidian after South Park ships. :(

The route Double Fine went is definitely the route they'll have to go. Smaller budget titles where they can release 3-4 projects in the same time frame as the typical 2-3 year cycle. This is definitely a good start.

Sadly, Double fine is also half the employees they have.

duckroll

It's a really nice move to see them remove Linux from the stretch goals after revealing the engine choice. I was thinking to myself at the start of the post if it even made sense to have Linux as a 2.2 million stretch goal if they're going for Unity. Luckily, they're not dumb. :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I do think Unity is a very good decision for this project, and also if they have to take the smaller project route Shintoki mentioned, it would be very conducive for that as well.

Honestly, Unity is really pumping up the number of programmers they have for just about every feature they have as well, especially in terms of visuals (since most other things they have are fantastic), so it could even serve as their tech basis for most (or even all) projects going forward.

Top Bottom