• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Arulan

Eh. I don't really see what there is to the debate on really... For this type of game, going with an objective-based XP system is better. Fights are going to happen anyway, players should be motivated to be engaged in the world and interact with it.
I don't disagree with you. I've just seen this debate for a while now; whether it's arguing (poorly) that every action worth doing should come with reward (xp), or that people don't feel it makes logical sense to reward certain action xp and not others. I'm all for interesting conservations of CRPG mechanics and related topics but I think there are more important things to be discussed.

_DrMario_

I don't disagree with you. I've just seen this debate for a while now; whether it's arguing (poorly) that every action worth doing should come with reward (xp), or that people don't feel it makes logical sense to reward certain action xp and not others. I'm all for interesting conservations of CRPG mechanics and related topics but I think there are more important things to be discussed.

True. Anyway I'm sure someone will mod the game and give me my kill XP anyway.

Gattsu25

Banned
I prefer systems that either do not grant combat XP at all, systems that grant combat xp but offer much higher rewards for non-violent solutions, or systems that grant combat xp but much larger rewards for completing quests.

In all three systems the combat is at a lower priority to the solution as a whole. I appreciate RPGs where the focus is on completion rather than conquest.

That said, I will still roll with games that reward XP for kills or the completion of combat. It's a very loose preference as long as the game doesn't force me to grind combat to progress.

Sentenza

Can't wait to play the beta and see if it's going to change my opinion on the no XP for killing things. Cause right now I'm super fucking butt hurt about it.
It's the best design decision they've made since the beginning.
"Goal driven" exp reward is brilliant. And not even that risky and experimental, since it was already used successfully in that awesome cult classic known as Vampire Bloodlines.
If anything I was baffled that no one so far was stealing the idea.

I guess the potential issue is when you want to get a little bit of xp to level up to make the current quests easier or what not, but can't go grind some bears to finally slay those beetles. Objective/completion xp means you need to actually do larger bits of content to get a reward and advance progression.

That said not a big deal depending on balance and stuff, and having non combat resolution means you could just try to find a non combat sidequest to do to get that little bit of xp, instead of the typical "let's go grinding by annihilating the local fauna boys".

Also leads to a more consistent experience. In Divinity for example, the most efficient way to do stuff is to first do the non combat resolution to get the xp from that, then kill the stuff anyway to also get the xp from that. Feels a bit weird. Don't have to obviously but you lose on a lot of xp and item if you don't kill stuff but also generally lose on a lot of xp if you choose the combat resolution from the start.

Sentenza

I guess the potential issue is when you want to get a little bit of xp to level up to make the current quests easier or what not, but can't go grind some bears to finally slay those beetles. Objective/completion xp means you need to actually do larger bits of content to get a reward and advance progression.
Not necessarily.
Goal-driven XP doesn't work like "you will complete this long questline and THEN we'll handle few XP to you".
It's typically more fragmented, something like "gathering the right item at the right time, killing the right creature or achieving any given pre-established goal will translate in XP points for you".
"Goals" aren't necessarily big achievements, they can include a vast variety of small accomplishments.

While you don't get XP for killing enemies in general, you may get exp by killing creatures when they count as a goal.
For instance chances are that finding that secret, well-hidden and very powerful enemy will count as a "goal" and reward you with exp.

Kimaka

I think the beta has released! The site isn't working.

Edit: I saw a generate code button but it wasn't working. Refreshed and now it's gone. gdi

Kimaka

WHere did you see the button? In the "Products" page?

Yeah, at the time the site wasn't fully loaded. It was just text and links but I saw two Generate Code buttons one I assume was for Wasteland 2. Now that I think about it, it probably still isn't live but just some code hidden until the beta is released.

Leckan

Is it possible they would add a gentle sway to the grass in the future? I think such a small difference would add a lot to the environment to make it feel more alive.

dude

dude
a couple of hours into the beta, I'm having a stupid amount of fun - Bugs, balancing issues and all.
I really like the content - Nothing blew me away so far, I didn't see anything BG2-level yet in terms of quality of the quests or interactions, but that's to be expected of a small side-village.It is very good, and reminds me very much of BG1 actually.

What are your impressions guys?

Kieli

a couple of hours into the beta, I'm having a stupid amount of fun - Bugs, balancing issues and all.
I really like the content - Nothing blew me away so far, I didn't see anything BG2-level yet in terms of quality of the quests or interactions, but that's to be expected of a small side-village.It is very good, and reminds me very much of BG1 actually.

What are your impressions guys?

Watching streams because I don't have the Beta add-on.

Models are extremely mediocre. Portraits (for the generic, pre-set party) are "eeeeeh".

But everything else is gorgeous. I also hope there is more variety for item icons in menus (can't tell what's what).

Also, I hope commands don't queue. That'd be terrible in a game where the real-time seems to progress pretty damn quickly.

Oreoleo

Recently I couldn't help but notice that news about Pillars had been slowing down since the beta went out. The idea of the game being delayed crossed my mind. My fears have become a reality, it seems.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68878-pillars-of-eternity-early-2015-beta-feedback-and-game-polish/
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68877-delayed-to-early-2015/

I know the game will be better for it, but I was looking forward to playing this sooner rather than later :(

Edit: Someone already made a thread about this, herpaderp http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=905564&highlight=pillars

I didn't see this on GAF anywhere, but the update e-mail I received today lists the official release date!

Update by Brandon Adler, Lead Producer
Hello, everyone. As most of you know, the Eternity team has been hard at work squashing bugs and polishing the game for release. Every day the build is getting better and we are inching closer to when we can share the full game with you. We have some important information for you, such as the...
... Release Date!
If you have been waiting for word on a release date, the Pillars of Eternity team has some exciting news for you. The final game will be released on March 26th, 2015! At that time you will be able to purchase it "for reals" on Steam, GOG, and other online retailers.

injurai

Banned
I didn't see this on GAF anywhere, but the update e-mail I received today lists the official release date!

iz08PShuVyec0.gif

Top Bottom