• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity Beta - Torment: Tides of the Beetles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labadal

pillars_of_eternity_logo.png

Release date: March 26!

Beta Updates:
Version 257 released.
Version 278 released. Patch notes.
Version 301 released. Patch notes.
Version 333 released. Patch notes.
Version 364 released. Patch notes.
Version 392 released. Patch notes.
Version 435 released. Patch notes.
Version 480 released. Patch notes will be up later.

When is the Beta coming?
The beta has released for backers.

Is the Backer Beta STEAM only?
Yes. This will not be the case for the full game.

Is it Windows only?
No.

What is Pillars of Eternity?
Pillars of Eternity is the latest computer role playing game developed by Obsidian Entertainment. The game has been in development for approximately 2 years. This was all thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign that made over $4 million.

What kind of CRPG is this?
It's more or less a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games like the Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series and Planescape Torment. The game uses an isometric view, has party based combat that uses a real time with pause system and the backgrounds are pre-rendered.

How can I get access to the Beta?
Being a Kickstarter backer at $110 or above nets you a Beta key. Alternatively, you can add the beta for $25 to your existing pledge as an add-on if you backed at a lower tier. Visit http://eternity.obsidian.net/ to manage your pledge.

Have you not backed the game? It's not to late. You can get the game for $35 and the beta for $25. So, $60 for both, Go to the link posted above.

Is it to late for non-backers to get a shot at playing the beta?
No. The crowdfunding period for the project ends on August 22nd. If you have not yet backed the game and feel compelled to do so, you have a few days left.

How long is the Beta and what kind of content can we expect? Will it not spoil the game?
The press was told that the beta would be 3-5 hours long. You will be able to play from level 5 to level 8 to get a feel of abilities, etc.
We decided very early on we won't use the critical path for this. It's not going to have any of the story companions, because that's a big part of the story for people, is meeting those companions and experimenting with them.

Screens:

Gameplay videos:
Gameplay of the opening 20 minutes.
The Rise and Dawn of the Planet of the Beetles
The Fall of the Planet of the Beetles

Beta Streamers:
If anyone plans to stream the game and would like to share with people on neoGAF, post links in this topic and I will add them here.
http://www.twitch.tv/aspie_lad

Impressions:
We will have to wait one or two days because when the beta keys become available, be sure that the portal will crash and everyone will start to rip their clothes and hair to shreds.

Disclaimer: I am a backer of the game. If some bias is seen in the OP, it is unintentional enthusiasm.

DTKT

Having literally just finished Planescape, my expectations regarding the conversations and the characters are absolutely not reasonable.

I just hope they can at least aim for something as good. But fuck if combat wasn't the most boring thing in Planescape. I hope they learn from all that stuff.

adj_noun

dB17M1K.jpg

WOOOO

Ok, some folks may be wondering about the beetle thing.

The Beetle Incident (starring Obsidian's Adam Brennecke and some beetles)

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/557643505

Start at 1:04:35

THRILL to the exploits of Sassy the godlike Paladin!

RECOIL at the horror that is the beetle menace! (1:10:30)

GASP as the intrepid developer waters the grass with his blood! (1:13:30)

MOURN as his soul escapes through his eyes, the laughter of Josh Sawyer ringing in his ears! (1:14:39)

tributes:

From RPGCodex:

SkkzCw6.jpg

From Labadal:

BvBYcMNCcAAMplK.jpg

scott!

Neo Member
Oof. $110 is too rich for my blood, but I'll definitely give this a serious look when full release comes around. Love what I've seen in previews so far!

antitrop

I pledged exactly $110 during the Kickstarter, the only campaign I've ever backed. Looking forward to tomorrow.

I'm going in without ever having put any significant time into an Infinity Engine CRPG, but I do have a deep respect for the genre and I hope for the modernization to pull me in.

Risky pledge, but I have a lot of faith in Obsidian with this one.

Zeliard

The tier I pledged for had beta access, definitely looking forward to diving into this tomorrow.

3-5 hours of side content, so it won't really impinge upon any story enjoyment with the full game, and at mid-range levels it should avoid the potential tediousness and lack of flexibility that comes with low-level combat while giving players the opportunity to really work the system and experiment with different tactics. Sounds like a good slice.

KareBear

Does anyone know if August 22nd the cut-off date for buying in to the beta or will it also be purchasable on steam early access?

LhWml1Q.gif

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS!!!!

The videos I've seen thus far have blown me away with all of the little details that make it look like a modern Infinity Engine game. Can't wait to try it out first hand.

On the one hand, I'm eager for news and updates about the game but on the other hand, I want to find out for myself when the game arrives!

Arulan

same, I will save myself for the wedding night.

I felt like waiting as well because I'm usually very sensitive to even minor spoilers but I just can't... This is easily my most anticipated game in years.

That said I'm glad they chose a spoiler-free part of the game and intentionally left out companions. For the most part I'm interested in trying out the classes to have a better idea of what I want my PC to be at release.

Sensuki

Neo Member
Oof. $110 is too rich for my blood, but I'll definitely give this a serious look when full release comes around. Love what I've seen in previews so far!

You can get it for $60

Buy normal key ($35) and a beta key add on ($25).

Zeliard

Portrait caps stolen from Sensuki, mix of decent quality/low quality screens:

P444.png
P666.png

p8.png

P77.png

P33.png
P1.png
P22.png

Godlikes looking appropriately gnarly.

Suuuuuuper excited! Loved all the old infinity engine games so much.

Edit: Anyone else think the perspective is off in that last screen? The door/barrel/bucket look really large compared to the character sprites. o_O

Wait, so we're going to be playing with temporary companions in the beta slice? They better not turn out to be good characters or heads will roll when I lose them.

Farks!

Oh man, I'm so tempted to back for beta access. But I want to save myself for the actual release later this year, and I already got a ton of stuff to play as it is.

fml

Zabojnik

YES LABADAL! I thought I'd skip this, but I ... can't. I just can't. Guess I'll postpone playing Divinity for a few more days.

old-people-dancing-o.gif

Sensuki

Neo Member
Wait, so we're going to be playing with temporary companions in the beta slice? They better not turn out to be good characters or heads will roll when I lose them.

Yep there is (these are actually their names)

BB Fighter (Dwarf Male)
BB Rogue (Orlan Female)
BB Cleric (Human Female)
BB Wizard (Elf Male)

You can also hire your own adventurers.

GECK

BB Fighter (Dwarf Male)
BB Rogue (Orlan Female)
BB Cleric (Human Female)
BB Wizard (Elf Male)

You can also hire your own adventurers.

I'm already having character creation paralysis. Cipher, Chanter, Barb or Druid... Guess I'll playthrough with those in that order.

Labadal

I will add stuff to the OP once I am back from my work interview.

Any suggestions on what to include are welcomed.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm assuming they'll send the keys via email. Also they're using Steam for the beta.

Yeah, I knew the steam detail but was not sure if I would be going to the Account page on the Pillars of Eternity site to retrieve the key.

Looks like it would pop up under the "My Account >> Products" section after taking a quick glance but nothing was there yet and I couldn't find anything online that gave a step-by-step key retrieval process.

I'm already having character creation paralysis. Cipher, Chanter, Barb or Druid... Guess I'll playthrough with those in that order.

Yeah, Cipher and Chanter in that order for me.

Edit: It is crazy to think we are actually at the point where the game is in playable Beta. It seems like no time at all has passed since the Kickstarter was going on and we were all going nuts in the KS thread!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Obsidian uploaded the beta to Steam a little less than three weeks ago and has tinkered with the app several times since, so it's had ample time to ask Valve for keys. If there's to be a key-related delay (not that there's any reason to think this will happen*) I'm going to be a bit miffed.

* Really, key distribution is something that should have been done over the weekend so then today would have just been a matter of somebody waking up and switching the game's status on Steam to "released".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom