• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity Beta - Torment: Tides of the Beetles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

Yeah, Cipher and Chanter in that order for me.

Edit: It is crazy to think we are actually at the point where the game is in playable Beta. It seems like no time at all has passed since the Kickstarter was going on and we were all going nuts in the KS thread!

Yeah, and I just remembered I put in 10 bucks for GAF to get an inn. I wonder how that's gonna turn out.

As for character class - I've played through Baldur's Gate 2 something like 6 times and I found I prefer playing my main character as a caster. So I'll be doing that here. I'll have to wait though, didn't drop enough for the beta.

Dr Dogg

On one hand as much as I'm stoked for Eternity I didn't back the beta access tier as I want to experience the game first in it's final form. On the other now I've poked my head in here I'm not going to be able to help myself again and looking to see the state of the game as it is at the moment. Ohhhhhhhhh I'm probably going to get an early access add on now before it's too late. It can't hurt right?

dude

dude
On one hand as much as I'm stoked for Eternity I didn't back the beta access tier as I want to experience the game first in it's final form. On the other now I've poked my head in here I'm not going to be able to help myself again and looking to see the state of the game as it is at the moment. Ohhhhhhhhh I'm probably going to get an early access add on now before it's too late. It can't hurt right?

I wanted to stay out of the beta as well, but then saw the Gamescom videos and I knew I won't be able to hold out. This games called for me, her sweet whispers filling my head "... Look at those beetles... aren't they awesome...?" I tried to remain strong, but I couldn't resist the temptation. You know you'll buy the beta, why torment yourself any further...? Just give in, give in and join us.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm doing all that I cant to not put down the extra $25 for Beta access. Since it's really more of a demo than a beta as we've come to expect them I'm not that pressed to play 3-5 hours of side content. If it was like Wasteland 2 or Divinity OS with a huge chunk of the opening act that would be a different story.

Labadal

Minor update to the OP. Have you not backed the game but feel compelled to do so? You can still do it. You can get the game for $35. Or you can get the game plus the beta for $35+$25.
All you need to do is visit the Pillars of Eternity site linked to in the OP.

Moff

how do I get the key? in my account or will the send it automatically via email?

also: damn, I had no idea this was coming

Soon...
~ 4 hours (probably), ugh...

iAjVtLQXYtifu.gif

I always wondered.. what' the original source of the gif?

Dr Dogg

I wanted to stay out of the beta as well, but then saw the Gamescom videos and I knew I won't be able to hold out. This games called for me, her sweet whispers filling my head "... Look at those beetles... aren't they awesome...?" I tried to remain strong, but I couldn't resist the temptation. You know you'll buy the beta, why torment yourself any further...? Just give in, give in and join us.

Too late I cracked before finishing my initial post. I think I can handle side content and not feel too spoiled. Plus this might just be enough to whet my appetite until final releases to go dark again afterwards.

Labadal

how do I get the key? in my account or will the send it automatically via email?

also: damn, I had no idea this was coming

I am guessing it will be available via the Pillars of Eternity site and you will the redeem the code, but don't quote me on that.

Kinthalis

Banned
I had already put in my pre-order/backing for the digital deluxe version wiht the almanac for $68 I believe..... and I just added the $25 for the beta ;)

Can't wait!!!!

I've been immersed in pure CRPG glory. Still tackling Divinity, trying to 100% every area, playing through the Shadowrun Returns DLC: Dragonfall, dabling in the Wasteland 2 Beta, and now this. I'm not getting any work done!!!

Zabojnik

C'mooooooon. C'MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON. It's been the 18th forever here in Europe.

Any idea how big the download is going to be?

My frothing demand for this game increases. In Obsidian we trust. Glad to hear too it's just mid game side content that I can play guilt free

Zabojnik

So how many copies could PoE potentially sell in your opinion? After Broken Age semi-flopped (or at least performed way below expectations) I was kind of worried, since that was the other very successful & popular kickstarter. But it's a completely different genre, of course, one that's actually alive & kicking, and Divinity seems to be doing great, so ...

300-400k?

Labadal

So how many copies could PoE potentially sell in your opinion? After Broken Age semi-flopped (or at least performed way below expectations) I was kind of worried, since that was the other very successful & popular kickstarter. But it's a completely different genre, of course, one that's actually alive & kicking, and Divinity seems to be doing great, so ...

300-400k?

I'm hoping it can do similar numbers to Divinity: Original Sin at least. That game had a bigger budget and they have made a profit already.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Super excited for the game but I'm not gonna play the Beta even though I could. I want to dive into that game when it comes out, half playing it now would kinda ruin it for me

After Broken Age semi-flopped (or at least performed way below expectations)
Where did you hear that?

Zabojnik

Where did you hear that?

Every documentary episode they released after Part 1 came out is basically them depressing over how little it sold compared to what their expectations were. I don't remember the exact number they showed, but it was something like 130k or so. I remember Tim talking about how selling 500k copies would finally bring them the success and financial stability they've longed for in one of the previous episodes of the docu.

NIN90

Thought I heard the beta was available to every backer. So disappointed right now.

Doubt I'll pay $25 to get access to the beta.

Altazor

I'm hoping it can do similar numbers to Divinity: Original Sin at least. That game had a bigger budget and they have made a profit already.

do we know how many copies of D:OS have been sold/downloaded? The only thing I know is that the game has been constantly in the "top sellers" category on Steam, which is siply great - but I'd also like to know (somewhat) exact numbers.

NOTHING STOPS THE CRPG RENAISSANCE TRAIN.

Armaros

do we know how many copies of D:OS have been sold/downloaded? The only thing I know is that the game has been constantly in the "top sellers" category on Steam, which is siply great - but I'd also like to know (somewhat) exact numbers.

Only Valve and Larian know, and Valve never says. So we have to press Larian for an update on their numbers.

Kinthalis

Banned

300-400k?

I think meaty RPG's like this have a much higher potential for sales among the PC crowd.

Divinity sold over 250k copis in about 2 weeks? I wouldn't be surprised to see them get close to a 750k in a year.

I think Pillars could do double that after a sale or two.

Of course the main problem her eis exposure. These games aren't being plastered all over Gamescom by Sony, nor are there many, or in some case ANY advertising for them. And mainstream sites will likely NOT cover them.

Every documentary episode they released after Part 1 came out is basically them depressing over how little it sold compared to what their expectations were. I don't remember the exact number they showed, but it was something like 130k or so. I remember Tim talking about how selling 500k copies would finally bring them the success and financial stability they've longed for in one of the previous episodes of the docu.

Man, that is depressing.

Must say, from those screens it looks like Divinity really smokes this game visually.

Nevertheless, I'm still super excited for it. I'm so in for all these new CRPGS.

Labadal

I'm expecting to see a blog post by Swen Vincke sometime in the near future. I hope we get numbers. All I know is it sold more than 250k copies on July 18th.

Kinthalis

Banned
Must say, from those screens it looks like Divinity really smokes this game visually.

Nevertheless, I'm still super excited for it. I'm so in for all these new CRPGS.

It's definitely going for the old-school aesthetic of the BG/infinity engine games.

I personally think it looks great, but I do believe they could have gone for full 3D backgrounds, while keeping the isometric camera, like DI:OS and not missed out on much, while gaining a lot.

dude

dude

Depressing, and it's such a good game too :(

I really hope Eternity will enjoy healthy sales, we deserve our renaissance!

riceandpea

Neo Member
Turns out I didn't pay enough for the beta (I thought I had) but, you know what, I'm kind of glad. I want to hold out completely, like I have with Wasteland 2, to make sure it's as pure when I first play it as it can be.

In fact I did that with Divinity: Original Sin and I couldn't be happier that I backed that. Admittedly there's more in me riding on POE turning out great, but I love what I've seen so far.

And 'love' is understating it, I think.

Zabojnik

Of course the main problem here is exposure. These games aren't being plastered all over Gamescom by Sony, nor are there many, or in some case ANY advertising for them. And mainstream sites will likely NOT cover them.

Yep, that's it. A successful Kickstarter campaign really isn't a guarantee of anything. Obsidian did team with a publisher for this very reason though, right?

I haven't played Divinity yet (after the beta, I promise), but from the screenshots/videos I much prefer PoE's painted style. Could be just the nostalgia speaking, but I'm really, really liking what we're seeing.

In the superior time zone it's 18:16, the work day is over, and we're waiting for our beta key :p

CET really is the GOAT timezone.

ph00p

Banned
They're smart, drag feet on releasing the final product, completely miss the original date by a long shot, creating a fervor for playing any part of the game with media sites, offer that chance for an exorbitant amount of money.

I'll never kickstart a thing anymore. Steam Sales all the way.

Labadal

They're smart, drag feet on releasing the final product, completely miss the original date by a long shot, creating a fervor for playing any part of the game with media sites, offer that chance for an exorbitant amount of money.

I'll back their next project for $1000, so they'll be fine.

dude

dude

How did they miss the original date? Didn't they say 2014 all along?

KorrZ

That is depressing but I can't say it's surprising. They got the majority of their "sales" during the Kickstarter campaign. All of your die hard fans have already paid for the game before it released, so of course your sales are not going to match up to the kickstarter demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom