• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity to be released March 26th!

But that's so... far away. :(

Haven't played a minute of it (didn't back enough for beta access) or even watched gameplay outside of the trailers, so I'm very excited about this.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Bloodborne, GTA V PC and now PoE?! So many great titles being released in March. R.I.P wallet.

Begaria

5018883.jpg

Bloodborne AND Pillars of Eternity within the same week?

I...gah...I'M YOSHICHANNING OUT MAN!

Woo!

CHC

Great release date, it's only up against Bloodborne and GTAV.

Still glad it's got a date!

I'm prepared for them to Obsidian this. I'm sure I'll love it anyway though. If I can appreciate Alpha Protocol I can handle anything.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yesssssssss my body is so ready

RaptorJesus.gif

I am looking forward to this more than any recent big AAA title, and I am not even really expecting anything particular out of it. I just expect it to be fun.

Moff

luckily witcher 3 was postponed.

very much looking forward to this.
do we know if the steam beta turns into the real game? I preordered the phsysical CE and I am from europe and I will probably have to wait a week or more until it arrives. so it would be nice if the beta either turned into the final game or of they send out the steam codes via mail or make them available in the pledge profile.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Pah, if anything GTA should be worried.

GTA 5 has already sold more copies then every infinity engine game combined, hell you could probably throw in every game Obisidian has made after the fact onto that pile too.

Durante

GTA 5 has already sold more copies then every infinity engine game combined, hell you could probably throw in every game Obisidian has made after the fact onto that pile too.
I'm well aware that the world I am living in is not the best possible world, no need to remind me of that.

I still don't think the good people hyped for PoE will not buy it because they'd rather get a 2 year late port of GTA.

Phinor

Different target audience

While their "ideal" target audience might be different, hundreds of thousands of people will play both games. Obviously not everyone plays both games the first week (and it will have some, probably minor effect on sales), but over time. Also add in Bloodborne and it's going to be a super busy week for some people who want/play all three games (including me).

Kinthalis

Banned

You know who else was super popular?

Yeah, that's right, Hitler.

Think about THAT.

Axass

So, since I think there's a public beta going on, any idea how similar/different from BGII the game is?

Moff

bloodbourne and this have likely a some shared audience, I wanted to buy a ps4 with bloodbourne and definitely will, but I am not sure yet if I play bloodbourne or pillars first. sadly both of them are very time demanding games, but at least witcher 3 was postponed.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man I just realized I haven't received a Kickstarter update for this since like November, I wonder what's up with that

Kinthalis

Banned
So, since I think there's a public beta going on, any idea how similar/different from BGII the game is?

The beta consists only of a couple of areas and two small dungeons, as well as a small hamlet. Even in that little space, there is a mystery to solve, lots of NPC's to interact with, and little side stories to get involved in.

So far it's BG2 levels of awesomeness in terms of the world, the level of narrative interaction and the quality of the side quests. But we don't relaly know about the rest of the game, which is considerably larger than what we got.

Now, the combat is promising, but as of the last time I played the beta, there were some serious issues. I think they've corrected at least some fo them since, I'm not sure though.

Personally, I think it was a bit too fast. It was very buggy (this should hopefully be fixed if nto by now, then by release!), and didn't provide you with enough feedback and informaiton to make smart decisions.

The graphics are basically what you probably were thinking off after BG 2 for what would be BG3. Very detailed 2D backgrounds with lighting that is much mroe dynamic and realistic than what we had in those infinity engine games bakc then, coupled with 3D models for chracters/NPC's monsters.

Basically I was hyped before the beta, and in many ways mroe hyped after it, even with the buggyness and the few shortcomings I saw.

Now I want to re-install the beta to see how much they've update it.

Dr Dogg

Noice. That's late March and early April taken up. Saying that the amount of digital knick knacks I've thrown money at might take that long to read through.

I think the fact that I watched a video of a meeting shows that I'm way too hyped for this game.

I watched a GDC presentation last year which was just Fergus and Paradox's head guy talking about their partnership and was like a kid on Christmas morning over more businessy goings on. I would say I've got issues but games like Pillars don't come around that often any more.

dude

dude

There are times I felt transported back in time (in the best possible way.)
There's a scene in the beta where you open a door in an Inn and there's a group on the other side of the door and the way the screen panned reminded me so much of BG2.
That said, it also feels much more modern. The graphics are obviously much better, but the combat system feels muuuuch better as well. I very much liked combat in BG2, but PoE was designed for RTwP from scratch and it shows. The mechanics in general are also much friendlier and and the addition of skills is a blessing.
It's too bad that too many encounters in the beta are against animals, there are not many interesting enemies to test the new system on.
Judging from the dungeons in the beta, the level of the content seems to be excellent. I was impressed with the cultists dungeon. Even though it lacked memorable combat encounters, the story was very enjoyable and very "BG2" in essence.

Top Bottom