• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Sentenza

GB Quicklook makes the game look exactly how I wanted it to turn out. The Baldur's Gate 2 vibes PoE emits are killing me.
Yeah, it's incredibly faithful.
A bit too much in fact. I would prefer if character models and animations didn't look like they were from 2001, too.
Beside that, everything else looks outstanding.

adj_noun

Some Backer Beta info

Backer Beta is still on track to be released on August 18th. There were some key pieces of information I wanted to make sure everyone knew about, though:

We will be releasing the Backer Beta on Steam only. The reason for this is because Steam makes the process of uploading new builds much easier than other platforms. This will allow us to put out updated versions of the game more quickly than we could otherwise. The main game will still be available on all previously promised options (Steam, GOG, etc.)

You will be able to download your Backer Beta key from our backer portal. Once we release the Backer Beta, we will send instructions on how to get your key.

The Backer Beta key WILL NOT be the same key that you use to get the final game. It will only give you access to the beta version of the game. The main reason we are doing this is so that backers are not locked into Steam for the final version of the game. For example, you can use Steam for the Backer Beta and GOG for your retail copy of the game if you wish.

For feedback, we will be creating a special forum for Backer Beta discussions and bug reports. Our QA Lead, Matthew Sheets, will be on the forums often to collect data and get it input into issues for the team to fix.

Initially, we are releasing the Backer Beta on Windows only. We are still working out a few kinks on Mac and Linux, but we expect that we will be able to release those a few weeks after our initial release, if not sooner. We want to get Mac and Linux players in the game as soon as possible too.

Also info on the importance of August 22 (basically, get stuff done before then) and if Wasteland 2 was part of your Eternity pledge you can now get your Steam key (but not GoG yet).

Labadal

Found this bit important:
First, we will be ending the crowdfunding period for Eternity. This means that as of August 22nd, you will only be able to preorder the game and will be unable to back the game at reduced prices. If you have already backed the game before August 22nd this won't have any effect on you, but if you would like to back an additional copy of the game at reduced prices or buy any add-ons, please make sure you do it before August 22nd.

Second, we are completely locking all tiers on August 22nd. This is necessary so we can start the manufacturing process for the various fulfillment rewards.

Ten days to go!

PFD

I almost purchased the expansion, but then I thought "the main game isn't even out yet wtf are you doing?"

It can wait

Labadal

Speaketh with thine companions.
Companions do comment on things in the world. Also, each companion's action bar (that appears above the portraits when an individual character is selected) has a conversation icon if you want to just chat with them whenever. It will be disabled during combat.

Guns are for shows, knifes are for pros.
Arquebuses do the most damage per shot of the firearms (and are the least-inaccurate) but are the slowest to reload. Pistols do less damage than arquebuses and are less acurrate but reload faster. Blunderbusses reload as fast as pistols and are quite inaccurate -- but they fire 8 projectiles that each do a small amount of damage. If the target does not have much armor and has low Deflection, or if it's from a Sneak Attack, blunderbusses are the most devastating.

adj_noun

just curious, any idea what happened with the GAF inn?

Here's what I know.

Obsidian:

Our lead designer is really itching to get these inns done, and we have an open inn spot in a major area of the game that's just waiting for a backer to send in their stuff. It'll be the first inn located in the main hub of the game near an awesome canal - and it's going to be first come first serve as to which backer gets it."

shagg_187 (the one who had contact with Obsidian) seemed very confident that GAF snagged this location. So that's something. :)

It's called the Goose and Fox. (GaF) The Innkeeper is "Bishop".

Name of Inn: "Goose and Fox"
Color: Yellow Orange
Floor: Brick
Wall Material: Brick
Window Shape: Round
Table Type: Round
Artwork: Portrait
Trophies: A Little Bit of Each (Adventurer Gear / Ancient Relics / Creatures)
Lighting: Bright and Lively
Room Type: Functional (single bed with matching accessories)
Exterior Sign: Round

Bishop details:

Full Name: Bishop
Race: Human
Class: Paladin
Hair: Short
Headwear: No hat or helmet
Weapon: Warhammer
Off-hand Item: No off-hand
Armor Type: Leather
Armor Color: Red

There's an item called the Bartender's Ring

Item Type: Ring
Item Name: Bartender's Ring
Item Color: Dark Yellow Orange
Item Appearance: A simple ring made of wood. The ring is not adorned with any gem, but has a simple wooden face that is half orange and half gray.
Item History: Asked about the history of the ring, the Bartender has been reluctant to share any information about its origins. Only a trusted few know how he obtained it; Some believe that it was a gift from one of the gods while others say that he received the ring after entering an evil pact with a demon. The only thing that is known is that the Bartender was banished many years ago and returned with the ring.

adj_noun

Teensy bit about the beta:

theovf22stuff said: Hey Josh, just another question. The Backer Beta will give you a clear impression of how players approach the early game content, providing the team with information on what can be modified, removed or introduced. Without that kind of information for the later parts of the game, and only a small team working on PoE, how do you balance it? How do you approach it?

Sawyer: Our Backer Beta actually targets mid/high levels (5th-8th). Due to testing our E3/press demo and a few hours past that, I think we have a pretty good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of various classes/attributes in the early game. As an example, I recently re-ordered the rogue’s starting abilities because Finishing Blow and Dirty Fighting, while nice, seemed much less fundamental than the combination of Crippling Strike and Sneak Attack at 1st level. We also know that there’s currently a bias against Resolve and Perception for characters who aren’t in the front line, so we’re thinking about ways to address that.

Radogol

Even though it's way, way past the deadline, I've just written my obituary for the game. Since English is not my first language, would you guys mind taking a look and letting me know if it's all right?

Code:
They called him Radek and he thought himself a bard
He dreamed of being heard - oh, he dreamed very hard
Alas he never sang, his songs stayed in his mind
For the heart to face the crowd he did never find

Thanks in advance!

injurai

Banned
This is what I chose to submit yesterday for the PIllars of Eternity character portrait Obsidian is going to create based on me.

DM9uyn7.jpg

looks good
but I hope your happy being made into an elf :p

Velinos

Game looks awesome, way better than anything else I have seen shown at Gamescom. I may actually play this beta when it comes out.

Altazor

had no idea about this piece of information posted in the PoE Gamescom thread:

None are put behind a timer.
There are three categories of spells:
+At will ones (you can do them as much as you want whenever).
+Per encounter spells (you can only do a number of spells of this level a number of times per encounter, and then no more for the encounter).
+Per rest spells (you can only do it a number of times before resting).

This is done in order to maximize strategic thought on where and when to use a spell.

I thought some spells were behind a timer, but this sounds a lot better. Feed me to the stone beetles if old.

Top Bottom