• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm probably going to prison...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2013 I was involved in a car accident. It was determined afterwards that I was drunk. I am an alcoholic. The other driver was hurt, not seriously and has made a full recovery with no lingering issues. I am also bipolar 1. At the time of the accident, I was taking Zoloft, Ambien, and Xanax. I was not at fault in the accident. I'm charged with three felonies, one of which is aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (car). Minimum sentence if convicted is 5 years, expected 7, max 15. I've been offered a deal for 2. I'm a father of six who's wife is a stay at home mom with no real job skills. We just had a baby in March. Trial date is in September. My life is wrecked. No pun intended. Don't let this happen to you.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers (even if you're not religious, basically, I'm rooting for you).

Alcoholism is a serious issue. I can't help but empathize with you. Hope everything works out for you in the end.

akira28

all I can suggest is get friends man, make as many changes as you can. Get people to speak on your behalf to show that you've made changes in your life. And that you're on a better track.

And the fact that you have so many people counting on you should have soe relevance. Just put it all on the table, after you've made the positive changes apparent. Don't resign yourself.

Good luck.

did you get your own lawyer? Offering a deal below the minimum sounds like they just turned on the legal machine and gave a print out.

blackflag

In 2013 I was involved in a car accident. It was determined afterwards that I was drunk. I am an alcoholic. The other driver was hurt, not seriously and has made a full recovery with no lingering issues. I am also bipolar 1. At the time of the accident, I was taking Zoloft, Ambien, and Xanax. I was not at fault in the accident. I'm charged with three felonies, one of which is aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (car). Minimum sentence if convicted is 5 years, expected 7, max 15. I've been offered a deal for 2. I'm a father of six who's wife is a stay at home mom with no real job skills. We just had a baby in March. Trial date is in September. My life is wrecked. No pun intended. Don't let this happen to you.

So, you didn't take the deal?

norm9

Is there your first offense? I always thought they took it relatively easy on people with clean records.

Kaladin

If you're not at fault in the accident, and the people who were injured fully recovered, how are you charged with anything other than a DUI?

Aristion

Banned
I'm so sorry to hear this. I have a friend who had his life ruined and is currently serving a prison sentence, so I can sympathize with your current crisis.

Sorry man, I hope things work out well with your family.

Mimosa97

Did you get help since the accident ? Did you stop drinking ?

It could play a lot in your favor if you showed up for your trial after being sober for months with AA tokens to prove it or smth.

And play the family man, father of 6, card as much as you can. Get people to talk for you. Try to find a doctor maybe to talk for you ?

Did you ever think about taking that deal ?

Sorry to hear that OP. I hope you and your family remain strong throughout. I also hope you come out of it better.

Are you taking the 2 year offer?

tmarques

If you're not at fault in the accident, and the people who were injured fully recovered, how are you charged with anything other than a DUI?

I'm assuming that when it's one driver's word against another's, they'll probably rule in favour of the sober one.

And not to sound insensitive, OP, but six childfren sounds excessive, especially in your situation. You might want to look into getting a vasectomy.

entremet

I feel for your family.

If you were rich you wouldn't see the inside of a prison.

Stay strong and push through for your wife and kids.

What are your parents thinking?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
If you have drugs in your system at the time of an accident, even if it is clearly the other person's fault, from what I know you're pretty much done. Im rootin for you OP and my condolences.

Ovid

Make this a lesson learned. Don't drink and drive.

Fake edit: You were taking depression and anxiety meds too!? What were you thinking?

2 witnesses have given statements that support this. I was going straight, other driver made a left in front of me.

If you don't mind me asking, are you white? Is this your first offense? And I'm not going to doubt that $$ may be an issue for you with a large family, but do you know if you're getting the best possible representation?
I only ask all this because I escaped some federal prison time this past year over something really stupid and only got 1 year probation.

Ferrio

Banned
How do you know it's not your fault? Who was at fault? I find it hard to believe that you loaded up on all that didn't contribute to it at all.

Did you get help since the accident ? Did you stop drinking ?

It could play a lot in your favor if you showed up for your trial after being sober for months with AA tokens to prove it or smth.

And play the family man, father of 6, card as much as you can. Get people to talk for you. Try to find a doctor maybe to talk for you ?

Did you ever think about taking that deal ?

I've been sober since the accident and am heavily involved AA, went to Intensive Outpatient Treatment, and have a psychiatrist and counselor. Ambien, Zoloft, and Xanax have major interactions with extreme side effects - family doctor prescribed. Always use a psychiatrist.

norm9

Make this a lesson learned. Don't drink and drive.

Fake edit: You were taking depression and anxiety meds too!? What were you thinking?

I don't have a problem with the drinking part (depends on BA levels and all that). It's the three different pills part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom