• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former CU student convicted of Boulder rape spared prison sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
A former University of Colorado student convicted of raping a drunken woman he was pretending to care for was spared prison Wednesday as a Boulder judge sentenced him to jail work-release and probation.
Austin James Wilkerson, 22, was found guilty in May of sexually assaulting a helpless victim and unlawful sexual contact.
At Wednesday's hearing, District Judge Patrick Butler sentenced Wilkerson to 20 years to life on probation and 2 years in the Boulder County Jail on a program that will allow him to leave jail during the day to work or go to school.
Wilkerson was immediately taken into custody following the sentencing. Boulder County sheriff's officials said they will not release Wilkerson's booking photo until Thursday at the earliest.
The sexual assault count, a Class 3 felony, carried a presumptive prison sentence of four to 12 years. But under Colorado law, the sex assault charge is subject to indeterminate sentencing, which means Wilkerson would not have been released from prison until he was deemed fit.
That was one of the reasons Butler decided not to levy a prison sentence, which prosecutors had sought.
"I've struggled, to be quite frank, with the idea of, 'Do I put him in prison?'" Butler said, adding that he spoke to people in the prison and jail system about what kind of treatment Wilkerson would receive.
Advertisement
"I don't know that there is any great result for anybody," Butler said. "Mr. Wilkerson deserves to be punished, but I think we all need to find out whether he truly can or cannot be rehabilitated."
The victim, who was present at the hearing but left before the defense addressed the court, asked Butler to send Wilkerson to prison.
"Have as much mercy for the rapist as he did for me that night," she told the judge.

LaBuda had the ability to sentence Ryerson to up to six years in prison, which could have turned into a life sentence under Colorado's indeterminate sentencing law.
Prosecutors said Wilkerson sexually assaulted a female student March 15, 2014, after she had consumed too much alcohol, and he had told her friends he was going to take care of her.
At the time, Wilkerson was a CU student and a Ralphie handler for the Colorado football program. He is no longer a student at the school.
Butler also ordered that Wilkerson not have any contact with the CU campus while the victim was finishing school there, though Wilkerson's attorney said he has no plans to attempt to re-enroll at any point.
At the hearing, the victim spoke about the impact the rape — which occurred when she was a freshman — has had on her life.
"When I'm not having nightmares about the rape, retaliation or a retrial gone awry, I'm having panic attacks," she said. "Some days I can't even get out of bed."
At one point, she broke into sobs at the lectern. But when supporters approached her, she could be heard telling them, "No, I can do it," and continued.
While the pre-sentence report recommended Wilkerson receive probation and not prison time, Deputy District Attorney Caryn Datz had asked the judge for a prison sentence.
"There's an expectation out in the community that the criminal justice system protects its citizens," Datz said. "The community expects punishment for the crime of rape."
Datz said that while the probation department found Wilkerson remorseful, she said his actions at trial indicated otherwise.
"It was a five-day display of arrogance, entitlement, privilege and blatant disregard for the role of law," Datz said. "This defendant on the witness stand admitted he is willing to lie to gain an advantage to himself."
Butler, who was the trial judge, expressed concern about Wilkerson's testimony and echoed Datz's use of the word "entitled."
"Whether or not family and friends see that on a consistent daily basis, it's what I've at least noticed to be the theme of what I've been seeing and hearing," Butler said. "I do have some great concerns over, as I would describe it as, ways he tried to play the system."
A recent survey showed 28 percent of female undergraduates at CU say they were sexually assaulted during their time on campus, something that the judge, prosecutors and Wilkerson brought up at the hearing.
"I'm sorry I have perpetrated the cycle of sexual assault on college campus," Wilkerson said. "My actions can never be undone."
In her statements to Butler, the victim said the blame she felt was unfairly put on her — from friends, a juror and even her own mother at times — was the hardest part of the case.
"Worst of all is the victim blaming," she said. "'If I hadn't been drunk, this wouldn't have happened. If I hadn't gotten separated, this wouldn't have happened.' Yet it was excusable for him to rape me because he was drunk?"
Datz said one of the tough parts of her job is preparing survivors for what they will face at trial.

I find it funny how frequently Judges all of a sudden become really concerned about the effects of jail and the need for rehabilitation when it's a "good white kid" found guilty of rape.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/bou...-student-convicted-boulder-rape-spared-prison

Media

But rape culture doesn't exist, yall.

All these high profile cases that lead to little more slaps on the wrist encourage two things:

Victims to stay silent
And
Rapists to keep raping

Xux

Jesus Christ. What a fucking embarrassment. Someone fire this judge and make sure he doesn't set anymore rapists free.

Media

I agree with the judge, rehabilitation should be prioritized over punishment.

This is a nice sentiment, but it seems like rape is the only crime that gets this consideration in America. That should tell you something.

Matsukaze

GIF-are-you-sure-bitch-please-bug-eyes-disbelief-Kenan-Thompson-o-rly-oh-really-ok-then-snl-surprised-yeah-right-GIF.gif

Newt

This is a nice sentiment, but it seems like rape is the only crime that gets this consideration in America. That should tell you something.
Ideally, America should lose the whole "eye for an eye" mindset when it comes to sentences like this. Large jail sentences do very little to circumvent the same type of crimes of happening again.

The elephant in the room isn't the fucked prison system, its of course that no one (that goes by "your honor") gives a second thought about locking up a minority in the same situation. However, an eye for an eye doesn't make anything right, if they start doing the same for everyone, that would be the preferred outcome, and of course wouldn't be open and blatant racism.

Cyan

Banned

I agree with this in principle, but when it appears to be applied only in particular types of cases with particular types of perpetrators and victims, can you see why people would consider it a problem?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ideally, America should lose the whole "eye for an eye" mindset when it comes to sentences like this. Large jail sentences do very little to circumvent the same type of crimes of happening again.

Again though, he's not getting rehabilitated. He's getting off for destroying someone's life while they were defenseless. You should still be punished for something like that and make the rehabilitation part of that. Its a crock.

Loudninja

This part is really pisses me off
While the victim was not present when Butler read the sentence, the judge did tell her father that he admired her courage in reporting the rape and going through with a trial.

"That kind of strength is really admirable," Butler said. "Without ever forgetting this happened, I hope she is able to find hope for the future. She is clearly a bright, articulate young lady who, like everybody else, deserves a positive and hopeful future. I hope with the help and love of family and professionals, she is able to continue moving forward so that this event, where she was the victim, is not the only defining moment in her life."

How can she move forward right now?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Should we rehab murderers too?

The ones who aren't total monsters I would say at least attempt to give them a second chance after serving their time. Its better to have a functioning member of society than a broken one.

That said there are many people who probably aren't fit for modern society. The serial killers and so on.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Well he certainly can't rape women while he's in prison. However he can during the day when he's allowed to live his life in relatively normal bounds. His victim however lives in a prison of shame and fear and horror which no "thoughtful" judge can give her respite from.

The Kree

Banned
Now, if she saw this verdict, went and found this dude and beheaded him, no judge would be talking about "rehabilitating" her.

(Spare me a lecture about the heinousness of beheading as if rape isn't heinous enough.)

Matsukaze

What's this bullshit about white privilege??? And "rape culture"?!? Please...
Please what? The guy almost certainly would not have been given such high considerations were he black or brown, and the judge's decision seems less concerned with justice for the victim in this case and more interested in the welfare of the victimizer.

Cyan

Banned

"White privilege" is a term used to refer to privileges white people received that people of other races do not. One example, as shown here, would be the phenomenon of sometimes receiving abnormally lenient sentences for heinous crimes.

"Rape culture" is a term referring to cultural acceptance of or indifference to rape and sexual assault in comparison to the response to other crimes of similar magnitude. One example, also as shown here, would be the phenomenon of rapists sometimes receiving abnormally lenient sentences because a judge does not want to ruin a young man's life for a simple mistake.

Brakke

Banned
Pretty bad title. Dude is going to live in jail and carries a 20-to-life probation. It's definitely lighter than I would expect, but he's hardly off Scot-free.

Media

Sure, that's not what's happening. Instead, rapists are basically getting told 'boys will be boys'

White men are punished less severely for the same crimes than other men of other races. Rape culture is when rape is treated as understandable, victims are shamed and not believed, and anything is to blame but the rapists.

Seems like this might be caused by the indeterminate sentencing for rapist law in Colorado. Essentially, judges don't want to give potential life sentences to first time offenders.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/bou...kerson-indeterminate-sentencing-rape-colorado

He's also not getting off free. He only gets to leave for work/school; he'll wake up, go to sleep, and spend his weekends in jail for two years. And I'm sure he's going to be under constant watch outside. Plus a minimum of 20 years probation.

Hopefully they siphon some of his paycheck to the victim.

When he learned about the impact this had on her, the remorse I saw was genuine," Cohen said

Learned about the "impact"? The fuck?

I'm sorry I shoved my dick in you without your consent. Now I realize it was bad and that it had an impact on you.

Seriously fuck this judge and fuck this guy

giphy.gif

White people are consistently the recipients of "well, prison won't rehabilitate!" and rape culture is one of the biggest reasons why rape is as prevalent as it is, and why some very powerful people are hardcore rape apologists.

I think "Should we rehab murderers who kill people for fun?" would be the more accurate question to ask.

The answer is still yes. Mental illness comes in all degrees, forms and sizes. Until we progress drastically on understanding it and (obviously even more difficult) rehabilitating it then we are doing ourselves a horrible disservice as a society. After we make strides in rehabilitation instead of giving a thin emotional verdict to cases of extreme crime, then we can better prevent it before it happens. Not to mention turn a horrible tragedy into something positive every time we are successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom