• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Bills punter Matt Araiza who was accused of gang rape cleared after evidence shows he wasn't present during incident: prosecutors

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
original_nfl.png

Unsealed documents in the Matt Araiza gang rape case show that prosecutors said the former Buffalo Bills punter was not present during the incident.

Araiza, along with 2 San Diego State teammates, were accused of gang rape at a house party in San Diego in a civil suit last year, costing Araiza a season in the NFL after he was cut by the Bills.

Prosecutors declined to press charges in December, stating that there was not enough evidence of proof for a conviction.

Yahoo Sports reported on Monday that a 200-page transcript of a meeting between deputy district attorney Trisha Amador and the accuser became available, and that Amador said Araiza couldn't have led her toward the alleged gang rape because he had already "left" the party an hour earlier.

“He wasn’t even at the party anymore,” Amador told the accuser. “All I know is that at that point, suspect Araiza is gone from the party.”

Araiza, who was nicknamed "the Punt God," was selected in the sixth round of the 2022 NFL Draft, but was subsequently released by the Bills after the allegations became public.

The civil suit had claimed that Araiza demanded the then-underage girl to perform oral sex on him, before taking her to another room where three men raped her for an hour and a half.

The accused was also told by prosecutors that video evidence could not disprove that the sexual act was consensual. “In looking at the videos on the sex tape, I absolutely cannot prove any forceable sexual assault based upon what happened,” Amador said.

“There’s nothing in the videos that sound like you’re saying stop or this hurts or anything like that,” District Attorney investigator Ted Mansour told the alleged victim.

The accuser's attorney, Dan Gilleon, told CBS 8 in San Diego that the witness whom prosecutors relied upon for Araiza's alibi was a "buddy" of the

Kilau

Believe all women they said…

The only part that is weird is that they state the alleged victim was underage
at the time and that there was some sort of sextape.

Imagine having to review this mess and tell her this.

The accused was also told by prosecutors that video evidence could not disprove that the sexual act was consensual. “In looking at the videos on the sex tape, I absolutely cannot prove any forceable sexual assault based upon what happened,” Amador said.

“There’s nothing in the videos that sound like you’re saying stop or this hurts or anything like that,” District Attorney investigator Ted Mansour told the alleged victim.

Doom85

Imagine having to review this mess and tell her this.

Wait, please tell me there’s more context to this, because if not we’re jumping to conclusions about this guy’s innocence.

Saying “I didn’t hear you say stop” shows a complete lack of understanding of the psychology of rape victims. Christ, if he made his intentions clear before he took her to the room, she could have been too terrified to protest if it’s just her versus for three of them, for all she knew angering them could have resulted in physical harm or murder.

Also, only his buddy provided the alibi? Not saying that doesn’t count for anything, but it’s typically known alibis are more solid when provided by someone who is neither family or friend. No one else could verify this guy‘s whereabouts for a hour and half the supposed rape occurred?

Also, if she was underage, yes rape would make it worse of a crime, but it would still be a crime to have sex with her, consensual or not. And what of the other two players being accused?

To be clear, I’m not saying the guy is guilty, it just feels either they took a major leap in logic to dismiss the case, or there’s plenty of evidence supporting his innocence they’re not sharing to the public. Or possibly whoever wrote the article is a dumbass who focused on “evidence” that means jack and shit while neglecting to mention legit evidence proving this guy‘s innocence.

Wait, please tell me there’s more context to this, because if not we’re jumping to conclusions about this guy’s innocence.

Saying “I didn’t hear you say stop” shows a complete lack of understanding of the psychology of rape victims. Christ, if he made his intentions clear before he took her to the room, she could have been too terrified to protest if it’s just her versus for three of them, for all she knew angering them could have resulted in physical harm or murder.

Also, only his buddy provided the alibi? Not saying that doesn’t count for anything, but it’s typically known alibis are more solid when provided by someone who is neither family or friend. No one else could verify this guy‘s whereabouts for a hour and half the supposed rape occurred?

Also, if she was underage, yes rape would make it worse of a crime, but it would still be a crime to have sex with her, consensual or not. And what of the other two players being accused?

To be clear, I’m not saying the guy is guilty, it just feels either they took a major leap in logic to dismiss the case, or there’s plenty of evidence supporting his innocence they’re not sharing to the public. Or possibly whoever wrote the article is a dumbass who focused on “evidence” that means jack and shit while neglecting to mention legit evidence proving this guy‘s innocence.

He wasn't there, the prosecutors could not place him at the time of the scene where the alleged rape occur. It's over. Stop white knighting.

Last edited:

Doom85

ALdqWLv.jpg

Her own friends provided witness testimony. There was also evidence that showed that she lied about her age, claiming to men at the party that she was 18.

The Office Thank You GIF

See, certain other individual, this is what I was looking for, not a child looking for any excuse to use the word “white knight”.

The Office Thank You GIF

See, certain other individual, this is what I was looking for, not a child looking for any excuse to use the word “white knight”.

This is your post right? Word for word. That I responded.

Seems that you were white knighting and still implying the guy was guilty of rape because you thought his alibi wasn't strong in that post. Only one person in this thread was white knighting and that was you. You also said that the guy had underage sex with her. Own up your shit.

stn

Shit like this should be kept private so that, if someone truly is innocent, they don't get fucked trying to rebuild their lives afterwards. Its really the retarded and idiotic media that goes and reports everything and makes it public knowledge so that morons can raise pitchforks without thought.

There is nothing wrong with believing women and in fact women and rape victims in general should be believed and incidents should be investigated.

Its the justice system's fault for revealing this shit and not punishing the media for making it mainstream. They should know that people have biases and will make their own judgments even if the accused is "innocent".

Doom85

This is your post right? Word for word. That I responded.

Seems that you were white knighting and still implying the guy was guilty of rape because you thought his alibi wasn't strong in that post. Only one person in this thread was white knighting and that was you. You also said that the guy had underage sex with her. Own up your shit.

Quote the entire post there, buddy. I flat out said the guy might not be guilty, and that the article might not have brought up evidence that made his innocence more clear. The other poster, who has reading comprehension, provided said evidence, while you failed to do so.

winning independence day GIF by IFC

stn

Just to follow up on my last post, I'm a lawyer and have been for almost 7 years. I keep all of my cases private and I don't tell anyone anything. So I still don't understand how the hell the American justice system allows for evidence and other stuff to be revealed publicly like this. Like, if I go and talk to a friend about one of my clients, I am breaching my professional and ethical obligations. Why doesn't that apply here? Can any American lawyers here chime in?

badblue

What happens now to the lying accuser…
I don't think it's that simple with this case.
Seems like Matt Araiza wasn't involved but She did have sex with people, which was recorded. If she was or wasn't a willing participant we don't know.

BlackTron

Some people apply critical thinking before jumping to conclusions with often leads to questions. People should be able to ask questions.

Based on the explanation in the post, I agree. If the only reason he was cleared was his own buddy's alibi, that's pretty flaky and suggests there must be more to the story. We got exactly that explanation because he asked for it.

BazookaBadger

Gold Member
It sounds like a good rule of thumb would be to assume they are lying and they are infact underage. Another good rule of thumb is to not have sex with strangers.
College parties are basically filled with life ruining land mines. Combine with alcohol and............. yeah.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
High status men are walking targets either way. Someone will come looking for revenge and a payday, whether stranger, friend, lover, or wife.
Especially when it's been hyper-weaponized over the past decade or so. A very effective tool of character assassination and control.

Such a disservice to actual victims, not that the bad actors or apathetic purveyors really care.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
As a Bills fan this sucks, ruined his career because of a #metoo. Sue the shit out of everyone
Unfortunately he can really only try to sue the authorities and the girl. The first will be hard and the latter would be pointless. He can't sue the Bills because they did nothing they were not already entitled to do under the rules of the league and the CBA.

The best he can hope for is a second chance in the league once the civil suit is over with. But given that he is just a punter and not a prolific QB or something else in high demand teams will probably steer clear of him and the drama.

Some people apply critical thinking before jumping to conclusions with often leads to questions. People should be able to ask questions.

Based on the explanation in the post, I agree. If the only reason he was cleared was his own buddy's alibi, that's pretty flaky and suggests there must be more to the story. We got exactly that explanation because he asked for it.
If the guy had used critical thinking skills, he wouldn't have missed this which was part of the article in the OP.

Yahoo Sports reported on Monday that a 200-page transcript of a meeting between deputy district attorney Trisha Amador and the accuser became available, and that Amador said Araiza couldn't have led her toward the alleged gang rape because he had already "left" the party an hour earlier.

“He wasn’t even at the party anymore,” Amador told the accuser. “All I know is that at that point, suspect Araiza is gone from the party.”

That's a direct quote from the DA. And speaking of jumping to conclusions, he thought the guy was only cleared because of the alibi of his buddy as claimed by the accuser's attorney, when more than likely there's more than that as some user here posted more information later.

but was subsequently released by the Bills after the allegations became public.
This is something that has always grinded my gears. Why are teams so quick to take action and release a player when the investigation is still ongoing? Suspend them until the verdict comes back and recompense the player for lost salary. I understand investigations like these often take a long time, but come the fuck on with cancelling an individual at the drop of a hat.

AmuroChan

This is something that has always grinded my gears. Why are teams so quick to take action and release a player when the investigation is still ongoing? Suspend them until the verdict comes back and recompense the player for lost salary. I understand investigations like these often take a long time, but come the fuck on with cancelling an individual at the drop of a hat.

They probably would do that if it was a star player, like Deshaun Watson, but this guy is a punter.

Nobody_Important

Because they don't want their billion dollar enterprise associated with an ongoing sexual assault investigation. Which they are entitled to do just like any other place of business.

Plus he was a rookie punter which is FAR easier to get rid of and replace.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
"If you don't [expletive] me you're an [expletive]! Mods are malignant cunts, green rats, etc.,"

This chick reads like Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian (whom I'd [expletive]) fused into a creature with none of the charisma.

And that is not a high bar to clear.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I was a big Bills fan. Listening to the Buffalo media go REEEE on the coach and front office during those press conferences was insufferable. They were absolutely getting off on pushing the mob into greater and greater frenzy. Fuck em.

Anyway, here's his first NFL punt...

Hopefully many more to come.

Last edited:
They probably would do that if it was a star player, like Deshaun Watson, but this guy is a punter.
Because they don't want their billion dollar enterprise associated with an ongoing sexual assault investigation. Which they are entitled to do just like any other place of business.

Plus he was a rookie punter which is FAR easier to get rid of and replace.
But, but.. punters are people too!
v8weatnpm9uw8pee39ur

Yeah I understand the politics of the situation as a franchise player would likely be suspended than cut.

Nobody_Important

But, but.. punters are people too!
v8weatnpm9uw8pee39ur

Yeah I understand the politics of the situation as a franchise player would likely be suspended than cut.
I love Pat lol

But yeah it's just the way the league is. If you are a QB/WR/RB/DE and talented you basically get several free passes. Everyone else is expendable and easily replaced.

I love Pat lol

But yeah it's just the way the league is. If you are a QB/WR/RB/DE and talented you basically get several free passes. Everyone else is expendable and easily replaced.
Well it depends on the severity of the situation. Ray Rice's career was over when he knocked his wife out, Kareem Hunt was picked up by Cleveland after he pushed a woman in a hotel. Star players may get free passes on certain things, but heavy assault and rape are naturally means for termination.

Nobody_Important

Well it depends on the severity of the situation. Ray Rice's career was over when he knocked his wife out, Kareem Hunt was picked up by Cleveland after he pushed a woman in a hotel. Star players may get free passes on certain things, but heavy assault and rape are naturally means for termination.
True. Watson and Vick showed though that QBs are basically untouchable short of conviction and jailtime. And even then Vick still came back and had his image rehabilitated.

Toons

Just to follow up on my last post, I'm a lawyer and have been for almost 7 years. I keep all of my cases private and I don't tell anyone anything. So I still don't understand how the hell the American justice system allows for evidence and other stuff to be revealed publicly like this. Like, if I go and talk to a friend about one of my clients, I am breaching my professional and ethical obligations. Why doesn't that apply here? Can any American lawyers here chime in?

The American justice system is corrupt from the bottom to the top, its a clown show 90% of the time

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

lol So this was a gangbang bukakke, not a gang rape after all. No one is going to video tape themselves gang raping a chick, but a gangbang? You know that shit is being recorded and shared at the frat house or all over campus.

The chick just had buyers remorse. Probably got labeled a slut after that house party and couldnt find a boyfriend who'd date a girl who likes to get gangbanged.

P.S An hour and a half long gangbang. How many dudes did she fuck?

Doom85

If the guy had used critical thinking skills, he wouldn't have missed this which was part of the article in the OP.

That's a direct quote from the DA. And speaking of jumping to conclusions, he thought the guy was only cleared because of the alibi of his buddy as claimed by the accuser's attorney, when more than likely there's more than that as some user here posted more information later.

”when more than likely”

Bruh, that is the definition of jumping to conclusions! You think court cases have always had fair outcomes?! I read the article provided several times, and the only testimony they mentioned was the accused’s buddy, and also it was sus that “left” in terms of leaving the party was in quotations.

I FUCKING SAID there might be more compelling evidence not mentioned in the article, and lo and behold, BazookaBadger provided said info. You did not, you instead saw my post and regardless of of it made sense or not you thought you could beat me down over it with your cheap ass label. I’m so sorry it didn’t work out for you and I’m not your little bitch.

jon stewart middle finger GIF

Drake

Responses to stuff like this always puzzled me. I see it here and I've seen it in other stories as well. People are clearly mad that he might be innocent. Why is that?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Responses to stuff like this always puzzled me. I see it here and I've seen it in other stories as well. People are clearly mad that he might be innocent. Why is that?
It's mostly people on REEEE who don't want to admit that they were wrong.

Nobody_Important

It's not so much people being mad that he is apparently innocent. It's more the fact that they know Chuds on the internet will use this case to handwave a multitude of other cases going forward and use it to cast doubt on legitimate victims.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

College parties are basically filled with life ruining land mines. Combine with alcohol and............. yeah.
Perhaps I'm fortunate I was too shy and closed off to go to those.

High status men are walking targets either way. Someone will come looking for revenge and a payday, whether stranger, friend, lover, or wife.
I don't believe I could tolerate being famous or a person of status. Maybe when I approach my 60's I'd be mature enough. Definitely not in my young twenties.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Your quote from the DA is exactly the information that was pointed out. Nobody missed it. He didn't jump to any conclusion, he questioned it (read his post, even the parts you failed to quote lol) and then the additional information came later.

If the only info was that given by DA as you pointed out, of course any person with any critical thinking would question it.

Sgt.Asher

She ain't gonna fuck you bro

Top Bottom