• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No monthly PSU fees on 36tees

Xenon

Taken from the PC thread...

http://orangeloungeradio.com/phpnuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=621

"On tonight's edition of Orange Lounge Radio, (click here for our podcast feed, look for episode 198 A) our faithful co-host LOKI brought us some juicy tidbits from a recent sales meeting that he attended which involved high-up sales associates from various companies.

As everything reported anywhere on the internet, take it with a grain of salt, but a lot of it sounds very legit, and came from the mouths of sales associates from these companies, so we pass it on to you on the internet to get you pumped up for this exciting holiday season!"

Sega

* No charge for online aspect of PSU on XBOX 360. There will be a monthly fee for PS2 and PC users.

* Sonic: Secret Of The Rings for Wii coming Mar. ’07 (not at launch)

* No Full Auto 2 for the XBOX 360 at all. The first one did not sell well so they will not be making a sequel for the XBOX 360.
-------

I'm guessing MS pushed the no fee for PSU thing, which is what they should have always done. Makes me think that my $50 a year is actually going to games and not demos.

This just became a must buy for me =)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
****ing, SCORE.

I will dance a happy dance once this is confirmed 1,000%.

M3wThr33 said:
Still not getting me to switch.
voice instead of keyboard = no.

You're right I'd rather type out. "Somebody help me with this monster I'm low on 'mates." than actually say it.

PSU + 360 = :) :D :) :D

FiRez

that's very hard to believe considering that you don't even need a gold account to play MMORPG's.

but if it's true then I need to get a X360 ASAP

duckroll

LOL PSU PS2

LOL PSU PC

LOLOLOLOL!

In other news, Sega is offering another free month for all PSU online players now because they're going to do a FULL SERVER WIPE! :lol

M3wThr33

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
You're right I'd rather type out. "Somebody help me with this monster I'm low on 'mates." than actually say it.

At least it's understood the first time rather than ending up with a 12-year-old who sings while he plays the game.
I'm waiting to see Kiryogi's stance.

M3wThr33 said:
Seperate servers + voice instead of keyboard = no.

Voice instead of keyboard? What the heck kind of crazy ish is that? Brain Age mayhem! "Go Left! LEFT! LEFT! For god's sake, NO, DON'T PICK UP THE RAKE I SAID 'FOR GOD'S SAKE!' NO, I CAN'T CARRY TWO RAKES!!"

Man, for that kind of a mess of an experience they'd better not even THINK of charging me JACK.

duckroll said:
LOL PSU PS2

LOL PSU PC

LOLOLOLOL!

In other news, Sega is offering another free month for all PSU online players now because they're going to do a FULL SERVER WIPE! :lol

Is it too early to declare that MS is giving Sega moneyhats to screw over PS2/PC players?

Drek

Maybe Sega is starting to realize that making people pay monthly for gaming experiences others (namely Blizzard) offer free isn't the best way to take the PS franchise into the future.

'Bout damn time. Remove the PS2 fees ftw SEGA!

Ogni-XR21

M3wThr33 said:
Seperate servers + voice instead of keyboard = no.

This is what's keeping me from getting it on 360... well I might get it additionally for 360 one day. (after all I started PSO 4 times)

duckroll

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Is it too early to declare that MS is giving Sega moneyhats to screw over PS2/PC players?

I don't think it's moneyhats though. The seperate servers is a big giveaway. MS could simply be operating the servers on Live instead, which is why it would be free from a Sega fee.

kiryogi

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Voice instead of keyboard? What the heck kind of crazy ish is that? Brain Age mayhem! "Go Left! LEFT! LEFT! For god's sake, NO, DON'T PICK UP THE RAKE I SAID 'FOR GOD'S SAKE!' NO, I CAN'T CARRY TWO RAKES!!"

Man, for that kind of a mess of an experience they'd better not even THINK of charging me JACK.

That carrying issue is fixed with the round robin distribution and more so if you're over capacity and the item goes to you, it'll instead skip you and go to a different player.

And I bet the "free" is probably xbox gold free.

duckroll: wouldn't make sense. Sega has to charge for their content updates they plan to be offering. The fees were not only just for servers or so they say :eek:

NinSoX

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
Phantasy Star Universe

Thank you sir. I haven't been caught up with this series but I will be buying this one since I had so much fun on the Dreamcast version.

u_neek

Xenon said:
* No Full Auto 2 for the XBOX 360 at all. The first one did not sell well so they will not be making a sequel for the XBOX 360.
HAHA :lol Like it's gonna sell well on the PS3

Full Auto 3 for the Wii confirmed

Full Auto 4 for the DS confirmed

Full Auto 5 for the Phantom confirmed

duckroll

kiryogi said:

duckroll: wouldn't make sense. Sega has to charge for their content updates they plan to be offering. The fees were not only just for servers or so they say :eek:

Of course it would be Gold. No one is going to say otherwise.

Oh and yeah Sega's been saying that for years now, too bad everyone knows Sonic Team is filled with liars and thieves. :p

kiryogi said:
That carrying issue is fixed with the round robin distribution and more so if you're over capacity and the item goes to you, it'll instead skip you and go to a different player.

Whaaaaat? I'm talking about controlling your character with voice commands. That's just stupid. The guy said "voice instead of keyboard". Did he mean "Controller instead of keyboard"? Or was he just talking about typing "/speak DuffMan: Hay, let's kill this dragon." being better than just saying Hay, let's kill this dragon" into a headset...

Arsenal

FiRez said:
that's very hard to believe considering that you don't even need a gold account to play MMORPG's.

but if it's true then I need to get a X360 ASAP

I think it is safe to say that if there is no extra charge, then you will need a gold account to play. Sounds like this will be a different setup from say FFXI.

Btw, how much are the PC/PS2 fees?

kiryogi

Banned
Arsenal said:
I think it is safe to say that if there is no extra charge, then you will need a gold account to play. Sounds like this will be a different setup from say FFXI.

Btw, how much are the PC/PS2 fees?

Japan fees are currently as stands:

1050 yen (7.45 EU/8.78 USD) to renew your account each month

:details seem to be missing on the first entry fee:

Normally us fees are a more flat and higher rate in comparison. IE it was like 5$ back then for japan psov2 or ep1/2 meanwhile us was at least 10-12$?

M3wThr33

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Whaaaaat? I'm talking about controlling your character with voice commands. That's just stupid. The guy said "voice instead of keyboard". Did he mean "Controller instead of keyboard"? Or was he just talking about typing "/speak DuffMan: Hay, let's kill this dragon." being better than just saying Hay, let's kill this dragon" into a headset...

I thought you were joking.

360PSU = Voice chat
PS2/PC = Text chat

Basically, think of the divide in this community akin to Final Fantasy XI.

Ogni-XR21

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Well I'm still torn on the voice chat, typing has it's own charm. The typing quest on Ep.1&2 was great.
Voice might be nice if it's all american/english, but I have had some weird expierence with several european citizens.

Any word on US/EU servers being together/seperate yet?

Arsenal

PepsimanVsJoe said:

I think its more likely that MS said - why don't you let us host your game servers and we'll cover all the costs. Maybe MS would even give them a small cut for the number of active players so there is some residual income as well.

Sallokin

I had heard they were having issues coding for the 360 or something like that in an interview a while back (I think it was in Play or GI) but I had always planned on purchasing it for the 360 in the first place. This is pretty good news.

demi

_leech_ said:
Technically you're still paying for it, but whatever.

Seems like the X360 still gets the better end of the deal

50 a year to the 10 a month or so they will charge? I'm game

u_neek

If the single player mode is good there's no reason for me not to get this game.

Have a feeling it will be delayed though :/

sangreal

in the latest OPM they played on the same server w/ all 3 versions

Interplatform Love

As mentioned earlier, editors of various Ziff-Davis publications all played together in the same session. Meaning that the PC guy and the Xbox 360 guys and the PS2 guys all sat in the same room and killed the same creatures together. Hooray for unity!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
When I was saying that Sega better do this, people were wondering what was wrong with me, and asking why Sega would do this for the 360...

If this is true, then hell f'ing yes for PSU on the 360, and a bit of restored faith in Sega...

Paying monthly fees for 360-only servers is nonsense...

Arsenal

Isn't this game due out next month? How come Sega hasn't just come out and said what all the details will be for each system? Seems like this stuff would be figured out by now and would have a rather large affect on potential buyers.

Arsenal said:
I think its more likely that MS said - why don't you let us host your game servers and we'll cover all the costs. Maybe MS would even give them a small cut for the number of active players so there is some residual income as well.

Well yeah I was just making a joke. And hey I'm a fan of typing(I still keep my DC around for Typing of the Dead) but PSO/PSU is the kind of game I'd prefer to lean back in my chair and talk about current events or calling people fagorts while playing. On one hand you deal with people yammering on and on(and don't think for a second that I won't be singing along to ABBA while I play) or you'll have constant text bubbles popping up all over the place.

I figure Sega has muting options in place for when other players are being idiots, but we'll see how it all plays out when the game finally comes out worldwide.

Also technically you're paying to play most of the XBL library anyway so hey whatever. Less than $50 a year still kills $120+ a year and I get to play other games as well.

kiryogi

Banned
Personally, considering the fact that things have been delayed on the actual official service in japan + their emphasis about region pace differences.. I think there might be a US delay somewhere involved very soon.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
CRAP. I have to get a 360 now. May get it tomorrow =P. I would eventually get one anyway, but im a monster PSO fan who was turned away from the hunter monthly fees. If XBOX live got my back on it, I am there!!!

Top Bottom