• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita's $50 million marketing campaign detailed

didn't see this posted, but lock if old

John Koller, the senior director for PlayStation hand-held consoles, said the PS Vita would allow users “to feel engaged and still feel like they’re playing on a console.” The target audience for the Vita are men in their 20s who play video games eight hours a week or more and own a PlayStation3 console.

The trick will be getting those young men to put down their phones and pick up the PS Vita.

The cost of the marketing campaign at $50 million is “the largest platform launch in terms of marketing investment we’ve ever had,” Mr. Koller said.

Sony worked with Deutsch, part of the Interpublic Group of Companies, to create the campaign that includes television commercials, billboards, retail partnerships, digital banner ads and a significant presence in social media. The theme of the campaign, “Never Stop Playing,” will be featured on many of the ads as will the Twitter-influenced hashtag, #gamechanger.

Jason Elm, the executive vice president and creative director at Deutsch, described the campaign’s audience as “very socially plugged in, mobile, out and about, both physically and on the Internet.” Using the Twitter hashtag on the ads would help aggregate all of the conversations people were having about the product in one place, Mr. Elm said.

While the hashtag conversations will be organic, the company will also buy promoted Twitter posts that will direct consumers to the device’s Web site, playstation.com/psvita, where they can learn more about the product and make a purchase. Facebook users will find a tab dedicated to the Vita on the PlayStation page and how-to videos about the device.

Another part of the campaign, naturally enough, involves putting the PS Vita into people’s hands. Users looking for a more tactile experience can play with the device in pop-up stores that the company is calling Vita Social Clubs in cities like San Francisco, Boston and Los Angeles.

The commercials for the campaign were shot in three days in Buenos Aires and were meant to show how the Vita “affects you socially,” Mr. Elm said. In one spot, the male character is using his Vita to continue playing a game during his commute that he started before leaving for work. Another spot highlights the augmented reality features of the console with a narrator explaining how “the world is your next battleground,” while a third spot shows a man playing games against other people he sees in the street.

“Gaming is no longer playing alone in a basement by one person with one machine; it’s all networked,” Mr. Elm said. To reach its core consumer, the company will show the commercials during television programs like “The Simpsons,” “South Park” and “Tosh.0,” the popular Comedy Central show, and during N.B.A and N.C.A.A. basketball games.

Online users will see banner ads across 26 Web sites like Yahoo, ESPN, CNN and YouTube. Billboards and wallscapes will be seen in cities like New York, Chicago and San Francisco and radio ads for the Vita will be broadcast on the Howard Stern show on Sirius Radio during March Madness.

more at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/b...fers-a-perpetual-game-inside-or-out.html?_r=1

those TV ads sound AWFUL.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The target audience for the Vita are men in their 20s who play video games eight hours a week or more and own a PlayStation3 console.
Ugh, really?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
$50 million ad campaign starting too late to impact launch day sales and increase awareness of the product among people that don't follow gaming regularly? #gamechanger

GavinGT

Banned
LOL did I just hear $50 million?

And most American men in their 20s won't be caught dead playing a portable system in public.

yencid

Yeap this was mentioned on the ps blog comments. That the media blitz would be starting soon.

EDIT: i dont get the problem with the target audience.

Toki767

They should probably make a scenario where people are actually finding others around them who are playing the games they are using Near.

Do you think we'll get multiple commercials each focusing on one of the three scenarios or do you think it'll be one long one?

udivision

“Gaming is no longer playing alone in a basement by one person with one machine; it’s all networked,” Mr. Elm said. To reach its core consumer, the company will show the commercials during television programs like “The Simpsons,” “South Park” and “Tosh.0,” the popular Comedy Central show, and during N.B.A and N.C.A.A. basketball games.

We're going to be saying this for decades, aren't we...
Yeap this was mentioned on the ps blog comments. That the media blitz would be starting soon.

EDIT: i dont get the problem with the target audience.

I think it's a case of "Captain Obvious."

Type2

Im happy to see sony put in some marketing dollars behind the device since it seems like a well thought out product. Hopefully these ads start airing soon. they should at least tell the general public about the early adopter stuff to get some good sales numbers off the bat.
Their target audience should be hardcore gamers and having them be fans of big PlayStation franchises is certainly a plus.

Penguin

Feel like should.. be a bit more specialized in their hashtags?

Dark brown toilet paper would really level the playing field. #gamechanger

I'm gunna memorize his schedule and wait outside of every one of his classes #gamechanger #itwillwork

Just learned how to text by voice on this stupid phone. #gamechanger #android

Woah @SarahPillai just brought me into the 21st century with the @fashiongps app #gamechanger

Just some of the ones you get now.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
What men in their 20's can play games for more than 8 hours a week?

I'd like to find out their secret.

Sony.......

nonono.gif

Foffy

Banned
That target audience doesn't need a portable for console experiences...:<

This sounds like a 32X in a way. Goddamned shame. I want a Vita too, but why must Sony do what Sony does so fucking well?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Target audience keeps changing as the console becomes older and cheaper, that shouldn't really be a surprise. Considering the price of the system, 20+ is sort of accurate.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Finally got my hands on one today and was a bit baffled.

Why are their curved indents in the back of it that don't match up with my hands at all? Am I supposed to hold it on my fingertips like I'm holding a baby bird that fell out of a tree? Also the sticks being convex and so small made using them even more uncomfortable.

The more I see/the more I feel the less I think I'll get this system before a successor is announced/portables are done for.

soultron

Banned
Isn't it a little late to start drumming up pre-launch hype?

Where are these 20-something males going to get the money on such short notice?

So the target audience is us gamers, fine by me. 20-something men gamers, that's essentially the majority of Neogaf isn't it?

I don't give a damn about soccer mom, grandpa, nongamers, etc.

jman2050

1. Make awesome handheld
2. Focus marketing on demographic not known for buying handhelds en masse

This is the plan?

At least SCEA is actually trying to sell Vita to someone, which is more than can be said for Sony's Japanese software strategy.

But I really do think that the audience for dedicated handhelds in the West overwhelmingly skews much younger than what Sony is aiming for, and that they'll probably find that out at great cost.

botty

Banned
I'm not sure if Sony will hit their target audience as good as they hope... let me ask Siri what she thinks.

Toki767

At least SCEA is actually trying to sell Vita to someone, which is more than can be said for Sony's Japanese software strategy.

All Japan needs is Monster Hunter for the Vita to sell itself though which is pretty much inevitable. We have no idea how a portable COD will sell in the US.

What men in their 20's can play games for more than 8 hours a week?

I'd like to find out their secret.

I'm in college and my roommates schedule is basically

3-4 hrs classes
3-4 hrs home work
5-6 hrs sleeping
and the rest of the time is nothing but gaming.

As for the ad campaign...eh i guess i'll wait and see but I think that target audience isn't gonna bite as much as sony thinks they will, though i may be wrong obviously.

Massa

1. Make awesome handheld
2. Focus marketing on demographic not known for buying handhelds en masse

This is the plan?

No. The plan is to go after their core demographic first.

They've also said recently they'll start targeting kids and women much earlier than they have with the PSP and PS3. For instance, they have ModNation Racers at launch and Ben 10 and Madagascar coming out soon after. They just won't be the focus of the launch campaign for the device.

Top Bottom