• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Raising Racial Awareness of White Discomfort with Racial Awareness"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biske

Hilarious and so true

I had a coworker who would regularly argue that racism is worse for whites.

Mathieran

Banned
That was hilarious. Loved the retro work training video format.

Sorry if I'm wrong by doing this, but I don't think I would ever discuss the actual amount I make or got a raise with a coworker. Is this something a lot of people do? I'm not disagreeing with the point they were making with that section.

Sorry if I'm wrong by doing this, but I don't think I would ever discuss the actual amount I make or got a raise with a coworker. Is this something a lot of people do? I'm not disagreeing with the point they were making with that section.

It's pretty un-kosher, but I think it's unhealthy.

Camjo-Z

Having rocked an afro all through school, I can safely say that white people's fingers are simply magnetized to black hair. I can't blame them, that thing was awesome. While other chumps were constantly begging for spare pencils, I always had at LEAST 3 spare hiding in my hair.

Personally, I would want to know if someone else is doing the same job as me but getting paid more. And the reasons they are.

stuminus3

But All lives DO Matter...
image.php

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
"How dare you!"

lol!

The mispronunciation of silence killed me too. I did not see that coming, but it makes sense in the context of that video, haha.

Mathieran

Banned
It's pretty un-kosher, but I think it's unhealthy.

Personally, I would want to know if someone else is doing the same job as me but getting paid more. And the reasons they are.

You raise good points. I think I've always gone along with it for my own purposes, worried of finding out that people that seem unworthy of making more than me actually do and having to deal with it. Maybe if everyone knew what everyone made it would make the salaries more based on merit? Or would it make it too cutthroat? I don't know and I guess this really isn't the thread for this conversation.

tebunker

Banned

Oddly enough this belief has been ground in to people as a norm. However, this 'social norm' is being used against all of us.

Whilst I think it is rude to ask someone you barely know or have just met their salary. However it is absolutely okay to ask these things with co-workers and should be encouraged.

In fact people should at the least be willing to do this anonymously. It only benefits everyone but the company when you know what a job pays and what you should expect monetarily from certain jobs.

I know from personal experience no one has been uncomfortable talking % pay raises or general pay ranges in my career. Most of us have had the same career arc and we have a general idea of what yearly raises were and how much we got paid for our jobs. So it was more about figuring out where we all stood in the range, accepting that we all had different circumstances, and then using the shared knowledge to improve everyone's lot. I felt bad when I found out 2 buddies were making 10% less for a similar position than I did. When they found this out they realized they could have been more aggressive in asking for money, and when they both got promotions they were both extremely aggressive asking for pay raises. Having that knowledge empowered them both.

There are a lot of reasons people don't ask, personally I find them all silly and limiting;

https://www.quora.com/Social-and-Be...about-other-peoples-salaries-income-in-the-US

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm so happy they are finally creating support videos for minorities to understand the white man's burden.

Man what is it with wanting to touch the hair. I get that shit all the time if I let my hair grow out. I do not understand the fascination.

gblues

Banned

Regarding salary discussion among peers:
In my experience, discussing salary is often frowned upon, and in some cases against company policy. HR positions it as "harming unity" or some such bullshit, but really it's to make it harder to form unions.

In the context of the video:
It is probably an intentional meta point to show how white people are more concerned about the taboo salary discussion than the discriminatory attitude that the salary discussion reveals. (I'm not saying this is you)

Knew it, White sensitivity training is going to be a thing to joke about soon.

I'm really kidding, but hey weirder things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom