• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about replacement 3.5mm headsets for PS4

MercuryLS

Banned
Ok, so that POS earbud headset that's included with the PS4 ain't going to cut it. I tried the Rocketfish official Sony PS4 headset too and that thing is balls as well. This thread is to discuss some alternatives. I'm currently looking at plantronics headsets as I remember really liking the one I bought for 360 a few years back.

These are the ones I'm looking at, I don't know if they're 3.5 or 2.5mm though:

http://www.plantronics.com/ca/product/mirage?skuId=sku500016#
http://www.plantronics.com/ca/product/tristar?skuId=sku500020
http://www.plantronics.com/ca/product/mirage?skuId=sku550013
http://www.plantronics.com/ca/product/tristar?skuId=sku550016

Edit: These are 2.5mm headsets and an adaptor may or may not work.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
iPhone earpods

Edit: apparently there's a buzz sound with the earpods. I didn't know, didn't use em lol

glaurung

I'll be a happy camper as long as these work.

pSNYNA-XBA4IP_main_v500.png

ckohler

I use the Sony Pulse Elites. The mic works great too.

The problem with the Apple Ear Pods are that the mic sends a weird tone.

Westone just came out with a new non custom flagship in ear set, $500, with a mic, you should strive for something like that that runs on minimal juice as that port is just an average port. An they sound great in the past.

What I've been doing is using my turtle beach for sound, but putting the earbud under the cup. Works like a charm and I don't need any adapters.

Oppo

I have a set of Sennheiser MM30i phones that I really hope work with the dual shock. They are my iPhone headset as well and I lurve them.

I haven't read a lot of specifics about how the buttons on iPhone remotes interact with the PS4, if at all. My own PS4 arrives tomorrow so I haven't been able to test that yet.

djblue89

I bought the Turtle Beach P4C. It's comfy, but for me it seems a little quiet, but will do some more testing, not many people talking in COD...

I want a replacement headset that automatically filters out crying babies in the background and what can only be described as people vacuuming their carpet because that's all I hear during Need for Speed.

First off, shame on Sony for not including something better.

With that out of the way, I tried a few options-- one was a pair of Urbanears phones that have an extra jack. I plugged the included mic into those so I could listen through the Urbanears and chat with the Sony POS. That did work but chat sound quality was poor.

It occurred to me to try an Xbox 360 headset, so I grabbed a $1 2.5 to 3.5 adapter at Radio Shack. Didn't work. I could hear chat faintly but voice wouldn't function.

So today I said fuck it and picked up the Rocketfish $25 one and it seems to work OK. It'll tide me over until support is added for the official Sony headset (the one with the Bluetooth dongle thingy).

So the Apple EarPods work as a mic as well? I figured they wouldn't as they don't with the Vita.

I'm still surprised how good those things sound. Easily the best pack-in earbuds I've ever heard.

Gonna hook my headphone amp up to my PS4 through optical when it arrives next weekend:

xfs3jfA.jpg

and

6C1xF6H.jpg

I will still use the bundled headset for the microphone. Still searching for a better one though. I hear the Zalman clip on mic is decent. Any advice on clip on microphones, anyone?

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B006PP3ZK6/

$9.99!

61Jei4uknmL._AA500_.jpg

PS Vita headsets are amazing piece of hardware. I own 4 and I could never be happier.

It's great for your personal use. You can easily find one for $10 like this one. It has a sliding mute button for mic in case you don't want to talk; most mics don't have a dedicated mute button. It's also has good speakers and microphone.

Best of all, its official too!

mhayze

Gonna hook my headphone amp up to my PS4 through optical when it arrives next weekend:

and

I will still use the bundled headset for the microphone. Still searching for a better one though. I hear the Zalman clip on mic is decent. Any advice on clip on microphones, anyone?

Nice cans if they're the AKG K501s?

Going theory is that the controller is the microphone, so you shouldn't need anything special.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just ordered the OEM Samsung pair for $3.50 shipped.

Honestly I'd much rather get something that is more or less identical to the 360 headset. Just a single ear chat headset. I don't know what would work though.

Afrikan

didn't try it myself... but for my brother I set up his Rocketfish headset to work.

$T2eC16NHJHYFFkZzHr1KBRbVRBQw4w~~60_35.JPG

I have the audio coming from the TV... red and white cord... I connect that to the adapter this headset comes with....and plug the headset to the PS4 through USB.

PS4 recognizes it as a usb headset though... not sure if Chat works.

my brother said it sounds much better than when it was hooked up to the PS3 directly for Battlefield 3.

I'm using my Pulse Elites via aux cable. There is a perceptible 'hiss' when at near-full volume on the headset, and I believe the highest volume when using them on PS4 in this method is quieter than when using them wireless on PS3. I have not tried game chat using it.

Top Bottom