• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 : Integrity and Faithlessness - Import Impressions

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
KX8CLXi.png

Small import impression thread for SO5. Didnt want to bother with an OT as not doing too hot health wise so am unable to stay up as late as I used to at the moment.

Anyways so far with a couple hours into the game its pretty neat. Looks nice and runs well enough. Though for the most part I dont worry about stupid things like frame rate as far more important things to worry about.

Feels like a Star Ocean game so far. Though combat feels a bit sluggish with how it works currently. Plus the starting attack animations for the MC Fidel feel a bit off. The standard attacks and such that is. Does not feel like they flow well basically, though hopefully that will improve when more skills and other whatnots are unlocked.

Character models are what we have seen so nothing new there. One downside though is at the moment dialog scenes still play as normal so no real zooming in and whatnots. Which gives it a bit of an odd feel as you are detached from conversations. Dont like that too much.

Battles are seamless which is nice. And combat for the most part is fairly fast and the friendly AI does not seem to be too stupid, though you do need to help it if enemies start to gang up on it.

Am looking forward to seeing how deep the skill system goes along with crafting. Since will be impressive if they can out do Star Ocean 2. But wont have my hopes up. As that game was borderline excessive, but that is what made it awesome also. Esp with how you could break the game using it.

There are party skills also such as gathering is a starting one you get. Which allows you to gather vegetables and plants from collection points that appear once the skill is unlocked. What is nice too is you earn exp, money and SP (skill points) for collecting from said locations. Do appreciate that.

Music is nice also.

Though one issue with navigation around with your character is they did something kinda stupid and seemed to have attached the camera to the character so in the sense that the camera reacts to every little change in height with the terrain and that most def might make some sick. Others will find it jarring. Esp when running around.

Also the running animation for Fidel looks way unnatural. Mainly due to its just a "sped up" jog animation. So it looks like when you have 30 FPS animation in a 60 FPS game that isnt made for it basically.

With all of that aside am glad I picked this up and look forward to continuing through the game. At least it feels like a Star Ocean game so thats a good thing.

Finally do me a favor and go use ponpos thread for pointless bitching and moaning about whatever is not related to PLAYING the actual game.

pizzacat

Banned
Would you put it a over The Last Hope International?

I'm guessing you understand, so how's the story so far?

Hope you get better

zeromcd73

Awesome thread. Picking my copy up tomorrow but my PS4 probably won't arrive until Monday. Don't know if I should play this or DS3 first. Might go DS3.

Parakeetman

Would you put it a over The Last Hope International?

Thats not very hard to do considering how bad that game was.

Though realistically and honestly am only a few hours in so will have to see how the overall package goes as I progress further.

Kysen

Downloading the game now, I have never played a Star Ocean game. I hope its good, gonna be hard to juggle 3 JRPGs at once.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Cool, an impressions thread. Will be picking it up in about 1.5 hour if all goes well stream it for about an hour.

Cornbread78

Dammit Parakeetman I just want to see Ultros' regular OT when we get the NA/EU release dammit, lol.

I'm looking forward to reading the reactions

Now, go get some rest!

I have it preordered physically, and it'll be two weeks until I receive it I'd say.
I'm busy with Dark Souls 3 anyway, so I'm in no rush right now.

Pretty excited though!

Parakeetman

Thanks folks.

Its interesting too there does seem to be a day / night cycle also. As it turned into dusk during a conversation with Victor. Though not sure if that was supposed to happen or not. Considering I did waste a bunch of time collecting and leveling slightly as blew a bunch of cash before leaving town on healing supplies.

Really do think it takes a way a lot from connecting with the characters that it does not zoom in and become like the "standard" type of dialog scenes. You folks will get what Im saying once you try it out for yourself. Kinda unfortunate considering that this game does seem to have interesting characters and the voice work is good so far. Though while the characters look a bit odd for the males, its nothing as the levels of nightmare fuel we had with the previous SO game so no worries there.

You know with how they designed this game they might as well have just gone a full on action RPG like PSU... At least then the combat system could have been a bit more interesting. Some times with running around and whatnots I was getting flashbacks of Dragons Dogma Online lol. Though yes of course the game is nothing like it.

All I care about is advancing far enough to get Anne in my party.

Also you can skip convos by entering somewhere or changing the map. So if you want to hear on the move conversations fully, suggest waiting it out till it finishes.

Game has a "slight" loading when transitioning to indoors. Though its nothing major so shouldnt worry folks.

TheFatMan

Thanks folks.

Its interesting too there does seem to be a day / night cycle also. As it turned into dusk during a conversation with Victor.

Really do think it takes a way a lot from connecting with the characters that it does not zoom in and become like the "standard" type of dialog scenes. You folks will get what Im saying once you try it out for yourself. Kinda unfortunate considering that this game does seem to have interesting characters and the voice work is good so far. Though while the characters look a bit odd for the males, its nothing as the levels of nightmare fuel we had with the previous SO game so no worries there.

You know with how they designed this game they might as well have just gone a full on action RPG like PSU... At least then the combat system could have been a bit more interesting. Some times with running around and whatnots I was getting flashbacks of Dragons Dogma Online lol. Though yes of course the game is nothing like it.

All I care about is advancing far enough to get Anne in my party.

Is there literally no cutscene dialogue or is it just sometimes?

Parakeetman

Is there literally no cutscene dialogue or is it just sometimes?

Not sure yet. As all of the dialog so far has been non cutscene. Would indeed be odd if the game is 100% like that. As I would like to imagine there are some proper cutscenes. But so far none yet.

Interesting at times when they have in game events, such as me
meeting Anne in the town just now and she runs off
the game puts a no-go zone down till whatever event ends so you cant go following it. A bit odd as they still let you freely move around just that the red marked zone you will be unable to cross over until said event ends.

Soriku

They've shown cutscenes in trailers.

Also I hope the postgame is leaked soon (and they bring back Mission to the Deep Space) :x

Parakeetman

They've shown cutscenes in trailers.

Also I hope the postgame is leaked soon (and they bring back Mission to the Deep Space) :x

Thing is though its a bit odd when you meet key characters and there is nothing special. Kinda takes away the impact of meeting said character for the first time.

Such as meeting Miki for the first time or Victor.

Its unfortunate that they didnt give some generic voice for the shop keepers. Even if it was reused, would have been nice to have for the generic ones around town.

Towns are really nicely designed though good to see they put effort into the modeling and designs. Though you can tell some things were done also due to being stuck with PS3 hardware. Regardless of that though still really dig the towns so far.

The pics that they use for the party skills are great lol

Also so hope that Welch can become a hidden useable character

Though one issue with navigation around with your character is they did something kinda stupid and seemed to have attached the camera to the character so in the sense that the camera reacts to every little change in height with the terrain and that most def might make some sick. Others will find it jarring. Esp when running around.

Also the running animation for Fidel looks way unnatural.

Blech, both of these were problems with The Last Hope. Edge ran around like a complete derp and the camera shifted with every little movement. I can't imagine anyone saying, "Yeah, this feels smooth and natural," during QA.

Parakeetman

Blech, both of these were problems with The Last Hope. Edge ran around like a complete derp and the camera shifted with every little movement. I can't imagine anyone saying, "Yeah, this feels smooth and natural," during QA.

Honestly its beyond QA as issues like that should be stopped during the development phase even before it reaches QA. Thats the whole point of having a director.

---

In other news, finally a proper cutscene so to speak. While it was well done and all that, still odd that they did not prep one for the first meeting instead. Still this works just as well, though the timing feels a bit off so to speak. As when you introduce a new character plot wise you generally want to at least give the player a chance to get a good look at them. Basically register the character in the players mind.

Parakeetman

They are keeping the character skits for affinity, right?

Those should be in there as they had trailers on them I think.

Ok and only now the game uses the zoom in on character for an introduction yet skips over Miki and Victor... Interesting.

Anyways thats about it for tonight. Looking forward to more time with it tomorrow evening.

Skulldead

Can you choice difficulty setting right off the start ?

The combat feel chaotic with 7 char on the screen, or it's still not too fast spaced to be able to see what going on ?

Parakeetman

Can you choice difficulty setting right off the start ?

The combat feel chaotic with 7 char on the screen, or it's still not too fast spaced to be able to see what going on ?

Yes there is 2 difficulty settings from the start. Earth and Galaxy? Basically Easy / Normal. No idea if there is a harder one unlocked upon beating the game.

Also do try to keep questions in mind that I said I just started playing for a few hours when you ask questions.

Aeana

I wish I could get the early edition from PSN without a JP payment method on the account. I've never seen that before -- wallet balance doesn't work, requires JP CC or PayPal during the preorder period.

Parakeetman

I wish I could get the early edition from PSN without a JP payment method on the account. I've never seen that before -- wallet balance doesn't work, requires JP CC or PayPal during the preorder period.

Thats kinda shitty that they dont let folks use wallet balance. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the system eh?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hope we can get a ranking of this game soon compared to the 4 Star Ocean games.

Cornbread78

Those should be in there as they had trailers on them I think.

Ok and only now the game uses the zoom in on character for an introduction yet skips over Miki and Victor... Interesting.

Anyways thats about it for tonight. Looking forward to more time with it tomorrow evening.

Thank you, I look forward to more impressions.

Go get some rest now, lol.

Parakeetman

Ok just unlocked fishing and cooking at Welch's place from her quests. Now its time to sleep before I get stuck doing what I usually do when games have any sort of crafting in it. Waste a ton of time D:

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looking forward to your continuing impressions of the game... really eager to hear about how far down the rabbit hole the Skills system goes (as that was one of my favorite elements of SO2, one of my all-time favorite games).

Parakeetman

Looking forward to your continuing impressions of the game... really eager to hear about how far down the rabbit hole the Skills system goes (as that was one of my favorite elements of SO2, one of my all-time favorite games).

Indeed. Wonder if this game will have the "reverse-side" stuff. No idea what it was called in the localized ver. But was the skills allowing you to make counterfeit stuff. Was hilarious in SO2.

Oh god now i want to grind for skill points to up my party skills more.

Turning off ps4 now before my real status gets worse lol

branny

Hope we can get a ranking of this game soon compared to the 4 Star Ocean games.
I'm not really sure what the ranking would even be without the 5th game, lol.

SO2 is far and away my favorite, but the battle system and item creation system in SO3 were godlike. I've only played the PSP remake of SO1—it was enjoyable but didn't really stand out as much as SO2 to me. SO4 is probably the least impressive compared to the others, I guess. It was kind of watered down compared to SO3, and there were disappointing things beyond the voice acting complaints like random disc switches, pointlessly huge maps, kinda meh postgame stuff, lack of optional party members, etc.

Maybe something like 2 ≥ 3 > 1 > 4 would be my personal rating before going into 5.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Don't sleep. Play the game moar. I need those impressions.

SO5 impressions > your health

Parakeetman

Ok now that all of my party skills for Alchemy, Cooking, Gathering, Fishing are lv 3 now to turn off the PS4... I lied earlier D:

Its just too good collecting stuff from those points on the map. Plus whats nice is there is no extra animation to go through when you do collect. And the extra exp, $$$ and SP is great!

I was hoping for too much that crafting would award exp and such too which it does not lol. But at least collecting does which is huge honestly. Really worth getting that party skill right from the start just for the extra exp and cash.

Plus as usual with early on in the game all ingredients are stupid expensive.

For combat since you will be stuck with 1 attack skill for a while. Just keep alternating between the X and O version of it. (weak / strong) as you apparently get a "Cancel Bonus" when you do the skill in succession between the weak and strong version which ups the damage %.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Welp, no midnight physical version for me, the person behind the counter told me that it's a SE game so they can't sell it to me until tomorrow. Which would be fine (and expected) if it didn't contradict what another person told me after checking it a few hours ago. Oh well, will start tomorrow after work.

Thanks for the early impressions. I really hope one will be good. I never played The Last Hope (and maybe I should be thankful that I didn't get to) and stopped playing SO3 after that plot twist, so I'm hoping this will be the first SO I get to finish.

SO5 impressions > your health

LOL Brutal.

Parakeetman

How awesome is titwitch? Really awesome or just kinda awesome?

If things dont die before she gets her spells off, the amount of damage she can do is pretty insane even early on. She does have kinda low life though so you need to take care of anything that is attacking her.

Dear god I just unlocked mining and blacksmithing.

Quocia

Neo Member
Thanks for your impressions. Can you tell us if there's à bonus board ? I really liked how it worked in SO4.

It's too bad for the non existent cutscenes at the begining, it reminds me of Xenoblade X and its really boring dialogues.

Cornbread78

If things dont die before she gets her spells off, the amount of damage she can do is pretty insane even early on. She does have kinda low life though so you need to take care of anything that is attacking her.

Dear god I just unlocked mining and blacksmithing.

Don't listen to Ultros, go to bed man!

Parakeetman

Thanks for your impressions. Can you tell us if there's à bonus board ? I really liked how it worked in SO4.

It's too bad for the non existent cutscenes at the begining, it reminds me of Xenoblade X and its really boring dialogues.

Dont think there is a bonus board. Or if there is something similar its not unlocked yet. As I was literally wasting a ton of time just getting SP to get my party skills up to Lv 3. Which all of the crafting related ones I could unlock are now. So time to rest lol

Cornbread78

thanks lol

yeah as mentioned now i have whatever can be unlocked so far for the party skills that have to do with crafting and gathering at lv 3. so now that I feel satisfied time to sleep. plus nothing else to unlock from Welch for now it seems.

On a completely unrelated note:

After that abysmal ending to Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen , looking at your avi kinda pisses me off, lol.

Oh well, minor details. Hope you feel better after some rest.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Those skill pictures look great lol.

I'm looking forward to your future impressions. Hopefully the combat opens up with more skills unlocked, most action rpg's do, or any left over problems with lag or jankiness are patched up.

depward

Did I see a save point?

I thought we were past this. Why can't all RPGs be like Xenoblade Chronicles X and allow save anywhere?

Maybe I'm mistaken; anyone want to confirm for me?

Parakeetman

Did I see a save point?

I thought we were past this. Why can't all RPGs be like Xenoblade Chronicles X and allow save anywhere?

Maybe I'm mistaken; anyone want to confirm for me?

Nope so far saving only at save points.

zeox

I'm very excited about this. Almost imported the game but the wait until summer won't be that long thankfully

Top Bottom