• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean The Second Story R | Review Thread

Needlecrash

Heck, I’d want the 3D games to get a de-make in the same style as Second Story R. Now that would be cool!

IMHO SO3 looks like ass and it needs way more than just some improved textures and lighting. Might as well do a full remake and pattern it after the best-rated game in the series.
I'd go all in on a demake for Star Ocean 3 lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can anyone who has the game already give me a lowdown on the difficulty options? or any built-in, in-game, options for exp modifiers etc.

Labadal

Can anyone who has the game already give me a lowdown on the difficulty options? or any built-in, in-game, options for exp modifiers etc.
There are three difficulty options. I'm playing on the middle difficulty, and it's been a breeze.

No modifiers from what I have seen.

Don't listen to the magnifying glass carrying pixel counters, both OT2 and SO SSR look and play great on Switch, even on a big hdtv. They're just being console warriors.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Not all of us cry about 30 fps, and 720p is native on the OLED Switch, so 4K on that little thing just wouldn't make sense now, would it?
sure but the point is it doesn’t look virtually identical on Switch & PS5
Don't listen to the magnifying glass carrying pixel counters, both OT and SO SSR look and play great on Switch, even on a big hdtv. They're just being console warriors.
🤨 it’s being console warrior to note that 4k/60 and 720p/30 don’t look identical?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Not all of us cry about 30 fps, and 720p is native on the OLED Switch, so 4K on that little thing just wouldn't make sense now, would it?
nobody is crying about 30 FPS or suggesting the Switch should output 4K.

You talked out of your ass when you said the versions would be virtually identical, now you’re doubling down and trying to convince us that 720p 30 FPS and 4K 60 FPS will be barely distinguishable because you don’t want to admit you were wrong and had no idea what the differences were when you told that person they’d be “virtually identical”

What a stupid hill to die on.

Madjaba

Well there's a really long stretch some of you are actually taking between saying that the Switch is running the game alright and that it does the exact same thing that its PS5 counterpart...

Factually it doesn't and without being all about the FPS and video resolution, it can matter depending on what you're playing the game on.

Some people won't care and some people will so that's it.

If I know that a game would look crispier or will run better on my PS5 than on my Switch then I'd like to be informed and not having fingers pointed at me for asking.

It's just videogames :messenger_downcast_sweat:

As for the game itself I like it a lot, there's a lot of way to cheese it like you could do in Octopath and I love that ! Story wise it's doing it's part, not a great fan of Rena at the moment but we'll see !

graywolf323

I want your eye doctor to make me see and believe 720p 30fps looks identical to 4k 60fps.
maybe they believe that the human eye can’t comprehend the difference between 720p and 1080p on less than a 50” screen? 🤔

anyway my point is just that the Switch version looks good which is great, but stop trying to convince us that that means the PS5/PC versions on bigger screens can’t look even better 🤷🏼‍♂️

also I’d take the Steam Deck version over the Switch version anyway because the increase in fps is going to be good for combat in the game, I’m really looking forward to the Switch 2 that could likely run a game like this at whatever the native resolution will be at 60+ fps

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Well there's a really long stretch some of you are actually taking between saying that the Switch is running the game alright and that it does the exact same thing that its PS5 counterpart...

Factually it doesn't and without being all about the FPS and video resolution, it can matter depending on what you're playing the game on.

Some people won't care and some people will so that's it.

If I know that a game would look crispier or will run better on my PS5 than on my Switch then I'd like to be informed and not having fingers pointed at me for asking.

It's just videogames :messenger_downcast_sweat:

As for the game itself I like it a lot, there's a lot of way to cheese it like you could do in Octopath and I love that ! Story wise it's doing it's part, not a great fan of Rena at the moment but we'll see !

Rena story picks up and delivers.

IMO out of her and Claude, her story is much better when the big reveal happens.

Go_Ly_Dow

Heck, I’d want the 3D games to get a de-make in the same style as Second Story R. Now that would be cool!

IMHO SO3 looks like ass and it needs way more than just some improved textures and lighting. Might as well do a full remake and pattern it after the best-rated game in the series.
SO3 would be cool. Enough folks need to buy this then to send them a message!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I want your eye doctor to make me see and believe 720p 30fps looks identical to 4k 60fps.

My life would be so much simpler if I just had pure blown retardation and I lied out my ass.
This thread in a nutshell:

“Are the PS5 and Switch version any different?”

“Please, it’s a HD2D game, they’ll be virtually identical”

“PS5 is 4K60 and Switch is 720p30”

“Like I said, virtually identical, you’d need a 70in TV to see the difference”

“No”

“OMG WHY ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT 30 FPS AND EXPECTING SWITCH TO DO 4K, GO PLAY IT ON PC THEN YOU RETARDS”

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
SO3 would be cool. Enough folks need to buy this then to send them a message!
Hell yeah. And while they’re at it they should just make SO7 in this style. Everybody likes sprite Star Ocean more than 3D Star Ocean, and they could probably do it better with a smaller budget.

Arsic

Hell yeah. And while they’re at it they should just make SO7 in this style. Everybody likes sprite Star Ocean more than 3D Star Ocean, and they could probably do it better with a smaller budget.

Modern tri ace wouldn’t do a good new title. So4,5,&6 are all truly bottom tier games and I’ve played them all. Even beat SO4.

The visual change would help a lot, but the trash characters, dialogue, and stories won’t get fixed in the process sadly.

The main character of Divine Force makes MJ in Spider-Man 2 look like a babe.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Modern tri ace wouldn’t do a good new title. So4,5,&6 are all truly bottom tier games and I’ve played them all. Even beat SO4.

The visual change would help a lot, but the trash characters, dialogue, and stories won’t get fixed in the process sadly.

The main character of Divine Force makes MJ in Spider-Man 2 look like a babe.
Agree about 4 (never played 5) but I found 6 to be surprisingly good. Wouldn’t call it a masterpiece but I enjoyed it. It was mostly free of the anime bullshit that made SO4 so awful.

And Raymond is exhibit A in “why 3D star Ocean is an unholy abomination and should never be tried again”. But despite looking like a massive douche he ended up being maybe my favorite protagonist in the series. Midas, Elena, Malkya, and JJ were also top tier IMO

And let’s be honest, even the good SO games have mid-tier writing at best. It’s just a lot easier to get past that when it’s charming 2D sprites and most of the drama is happening in your imagination. If you remade SO2 in 3D, with characters that looked like freakish rubber dolls with bobbly heads and weirdly exaggerated motion captured animation, it’d probably be almost as bad as SO4

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Environments are REALLY nice, I dunno why they went with sprites for the characters and everything, I think it'd look better with some modest 3D models a la modern Trails or Ys games or even Square's own Trials of Mana. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sprites and even love games that use a blend of 3D environments and sprites like earlier Ys and Trails games and of course the 32bit games they look like, Grandia, Xenogears and such, but I believe the high quality environments here don't match as well as those games that have unfiltered pixel-art esque textures. It's fine still, I'm just saying...

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Environments are REALLY nice, I dunno why they went with sprites for the characters and everything, I think it'd look better with some modest 3D models a la modern Trails or Ys games or even Square's own Trials of Mana. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sprites and even love games that use a blend of 3D environments and sprites like earlier Ys and Trails games and of course the 32bit games they look like, Grandia, Xenogears and such, but I believe the high quality environments here don't match as well as those games that have unfiltered pixel-art esque textures. It's fine still, I'm just saying...

Xenogears please for the love of gawd. I haven't actually played it because the game never actually released in Europe. 🤡

Labadal

Honestly, the next dream game I'd like to see in 2D-HD is Treasure of the Rudras. Not only would the style fit, but it would be cool to have an official English Release.

Bahamut Lagoon would also be awesome. That soundtrack remixed would be awesome.

Arsic

Honestly, the next dream game I'd like to see in 2D-HD is Treasure of the Rudras. Not only would the style fit, but it would be cool to have an official English Release.

Bahamut Lagoon would also be awesome. That soundtrack remixed would be awesome.

From square Id like to see Xenogears for sure.

Remake in general from them would be parasite Eve.

Hestar69

SO1 and 2 aren't connected right? been playing SO1 (6hrs in) but kinda wanna play 2 as I hear its teh better one.

Outlier

I played this game (the original) as a kid and loved it, but I barely remember much of it.
Never finished. I remember level grinding in the beginning with the guys gun. lol
I stopped playing in the area where there is a colosseum (I think) for whatever reason.
That's all I remember. Can't remember ANYTHING about the story.

Last edited:

Brigandier

I played this game (the original) as a kid and loved it, but I barely remember much of it.
Never finished. I remember level grinding in the beginning with the guys gun. lol
I stopped playing in the area where there is a colosseum (I think) for whatever reason.
That's all I remember. Can't remember ANYTHING about the story.

Good time to jump back in then!!!

SkylineRKR

No pls

That's my favorite Star Ocean, I would rather have a remaster

I finally beat SO3 on PS5 this year after dropping it a few times since the PS2 days. It started to grow on me. I was addicted to its crafting and beat MoT and a few dozen floors of Sphere. Story and delivery is comically bad but I think a remaster would work if they iron out the bad camera controls, the lack of save points and the lack of directions.

It probably shot up to number 2. Second Story is still the best. I have yet to start DF which I do have via Plus.

I finally beat SO3 on PS5 this year after dropping it a few times since the PS2 days. It started to grow on me. I was addicted to its crafting and beat MoT and a few dozen floors of Sphere. Story and delivery is comically bad but I think a remaster would work if they iron out the bad camera controls, the lack of save points and the lack of directions.

It probably shot up to number 2. Second Story is still the best. I have yet to start DF which I do have via Plus.

The item Creation in SO3 is the best in the franchise IMO

It's the first SO I finished. Still my favorite

Shut0wen

That would be the more logical thing to do but square isnt the most logical company out there at the moment, only FF gets that treatment

Top Bottom