• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean The Second Story R Achieves Over 2,000 Steam Reviews; 96% Positive

GIWYq6TbsAA4qrL

Following the launch of the Gemdrops-developed remake Star Ocean The Second Story R, the game has now achieved over 2,000 user reviews on Steam. The title received over 1,000 user reviews back during its launch month, so it’s neat to see that momentum retained, especially since it’s overwhelmingly positive.

In particular, 96% of the 2,015 user reviews are positive, which is quite impressive for a Star Ocean title. Aside from the PC ports of other Star Ocean games not being especially great, the general reception of the games themselves is more mixed. Here’s hoping the series is given more opportunity to shine in the future. In the meantime, I’ll be in my corner wishing for a remake of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, my personal favorite entry.

Thanks to the Star Ocean The Second Story R director Yuichiro Kaito sharing the news regarding the positive Steam reviews. In an interview, he said that the reception to this remake has been better than expected.

At the end of last year, Kitao said that the team is aware of the fan demand for a remake of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, but no plans have been set in stone.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Awesome game, might be the best remake of all time. They really understood what made the original good. They managed to fix everything that needed fixing + made some great enhancements and QoL features without fucking anything up.

My only minor gripes are that they reused the bland VA from the PSP version, and they redesigned a couple of the dungeons for the worse (e.g. Hoffman Ruins, it was so mysterious and distinctive in the original and they changed it to some generic puzzle dungeon)

Mr Hyde

Outstanding remake that deserves every bit of praise it gets. If Square Enix is considering remaking other rpg-classics, like Chrono Trigger or Xenogears, look no further than what Gemdrop did with this game. This is the way going forward when you're doing a makeover of beloved games.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
My only minor gripes are that they reused the bland VA from the PSP version
Dub cast you mean? Hell naw. Second I heard Spike Spencer as Claud and Megan Hollingshead as the titty mage I was HYPED. All Nu-VAs for weeaboo games are trash. 2000s/early 2010s era was the peak.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Dub cast you mean? Hell naw. Second I heard Spike Spencer as Claud and Megan Hollingshead as the titty mage I was HYPED. All Nu-VAs for weeaboo games are trash. 2000s/early 2010s era was the peak.
TBH the biggest problem is that the dialog just isn’t very good. It’s that typical JRPG writing where they talk in circles and take twice as long as necessary to get the point across. Combine that with bland VA + awkward pauses at the end of every line and most of the dialog scenes are pretty painful.

Ideally they could’ve done a full rewrite (which obviously would’ve been a great expense). They did give you the option to turn off the VA entirely, which is a huge improvement, but the problem is that also turns off the VA for the battles, which is a big part of the charm of SO2 IMO. If they at least let you control the event and battle VA volume independently that would’ve been awesome.

Anyway that’s a minor gripe. As an SO2 super fan I was very pleased with the treatment they gave the remake.

Top Bottom